Is PPL the ultimate routine for over training, tendinitis and having no life outside of the gym?

Is PPL the ultimate routine for over training, tendinitis and having no life outside of the gym?

Attached: d2zVkvc.png (753x592, 300K)

Depends. If you run it 6 days a week but stick to 10 sets a workout, you'll be fine. But if you're doing 15-20 sets you're gonna work out for two weeks of the month with two weeks off for recovery and make shit gains.

Upper/Lower x2 is probably best.

>Upper/Lower x2 is probably best.

Training legs two times a week

No thx

Whatever program works for you is the best program.

Full body with 1 lower body lift as many times a a week as you want.

Squats (just do a few sets lol)
Dips
Pull-ups
OHP
Curls 4 Sluts
Lat Raises 4 Sluts

Then next time do something like

Deadlifts (just a set or 2 lol)
Barbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Rows
1 arm Standing Dumbbell Press
Power Shrugs
Curls 4 Sluts

Then next some do something like

Calf Raises
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Chin-ups
Chest Flys
Dumbbell Shrugs
Curls 4 Fags
Everyday starts with a lower body exercise, but you also get all the aesthetic muscles trained every time aswell. Lots of exercise variety so you don’t get bored, and you don’t get over use injures.

>tendinitis
I've been running for four months now and no problems for me.
>no life outside of the gym
Nigga, stop wasting you time between sets and on the phone.

How many exercises and sets are you doing?

On a pull day I'll do three back exercises and then types of curls but not sure if that's too much

Any workout is best workout. As long as you put as much time in the gym as you're comfortable with and enjoy doing it. Doing any routine whatsoever already put your above the masses. The regular citizen doesn't lift anyway.

just do Push/Pull and split legs over the two days.

Pull day is 4 back exercises and 2 curls.

3 days I try to lift heavy, other 3 days ill take it easier and go lighter.
Keeps me from tiring myself out too much.

everyone on fit said im overtraining with my routine(pplxpplx etc.)
but while on my cut in 2 months i continued improving all my lifts(10kg in bench for example) while losing 4kg(of presumably fat)
im neither a noob( 1 year 10 months) or on test
if it works for you it isnt stupid
so far no injuries and im on ppl since new years

>PPLPPL
>Training legs two times a week

I have tendinitis in my right wrist and palm, which makes it difficult for me to bench more than 80 kg

should I just use machines if I want big pecs?

Just take a few weeks off

WOW MAN 4 WHOLE MONTHS !? You must be some kind of beast to have remained injury free, a god among us men

Basically what I do

Squat+OHP+whatever

Deadlift+Bench+whatever

I feel happy enough doing it, sometimes I throw in a volume day of all 4 compounds, low weight high rep, sometimes I throw in a pump day with lots of curls and shit

I took 6 months off, man
I had it for years now, it's not getting any better :(

PPL is the routine for NEETS, college drop out and gymcels

3 times full body is the patrician's routine, push/pull or upper/lower twice a week are also good

I'm with you, but should I try PPL if I ever hit a wall?

>overtraining

Attached: 1509014772329.png (403x448, 53K)

... is real and causes injuries

if youre a bitch

Get yourself some wrist wraps for pushing exercises. Broke my wrist twice and used to get pain before I started using them.

>overtraining
>not training until your hair falls out and you become the funny character in your life

this is the shit faggots in the gym do, then come asking me
1. am i on the juice
2. how do i train
and when i tell them that 1. no and 2. i do a brosplit, but with a shit ton of volume, they give me this dismissing look like "yea no way this shit works lmao"

>overtraining
most people will never overtrain. under recovery is the problem.

also no, faggot. hitting everything twice a week is fucking minimum and attention to fatigue with programmed deloads results in 6 days a week training being no problem.

I would like to do PPLPPXX. Is this a bad idea? I just finished SL 5x5. I'm 5'9 160lbs 225 sq 160 bench 110 OHP. Is this a retarded plan? I really like the idea of only doing legs once per week

not him but you're profoundly fucking wrong. overtraining is a medical condition caused by overreaching for far too long, resulting in long term or even permanent damage to the work capacity. only absolute retards or extreemely motivated and desperate athletes will ever come close to it. you can't eat, sleep and recover your way out of it.

much more common is under-recovery, and this is often a lack of sleep or food. over-reaching is going beyond even this, often for some hypertrophy benefit before a deload. you can't eat or sleep your way out of that either unless you over-reach only for a very short period of time. the body can only recover so much and battering it down with huge volumes is fucking retarded just like you

this is fine in theory but tracking progress and managing fatigue is impossible with this much randomness. better to program properly (no i don't mean some low volume powershitter program, i mean programming high volume)

why do you like that idea? is it becase you genuinely feel like your legs will develop to the degree you'd like that way, or is there some other motivation? answer truthfully.

SL 5x5 has you squatting 3 times per week. I'm just sick of it. Squatting one time per week while switching the focus to my upper body makes me much more motivated to work out

i thought that might be the case. yes, 5x5 3 times per week is hard.

if you feel that you won't go to the gym if you have to do legs more than once per week, then do them once per week. don't expect good gains though. there's also something to be said for the great ronnie coleman's exclamation of "everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift heavy ass weights" meaning man up and stop being a bitch.

if you want to make it easier for yourself, do twice per week with different rep ranges and exercise. i understand very well the monotony of 3 times a week squatting maximal loads and it sucks. doing PPLPPLx will not only reduce that frequency by 1/3, it will allow the programming of whatever leg shit you want. no one's telling you you have to do 5x5 twice a week back squats - do 5x3 front once a week and 5x10 leg press once a week or something. just some thoughts. if you don't like it still, do 1x a week. just know that your gains will suffer with that approach and it's a slippery slope to sacrifice work ethic for comfort.

if you guys aren't squatting everyday you will never make it.

Sorry but that's just how things are.

kek

Attached: CQ9pZYWUkAAYRth.jpg (254x321, 10K)

feel ya, I have nagging little injuries in both wrists (mainly one), one shoulder and one elbow. Try doing machines and dumbbells, nothing wrong with that.

>dozen books written by eminent coaches about the subject
>studies proving the benefits
>literally every pro oly lifter does it

I know you want me to spoonfeed you with links but seriously, just google it.

Attached: 1504346713405.png (545x530, 234K)

I've been doing 5 day/ week PPL with 15-18 sets per muscle group
For example on pull day I'll do 15-18 sets of back and 15-18 sets of biceps.
I do kind of live in the gym tho and won't be able to maintain this volume once school finishes and I get a job but for now its working well. Its been 5 months since I switched to this from lower/upper garbage, I love the extra volume.

C O P E
>jk you're probably right but I had to do it

i can't think of a single world record powerlifter or bodybuilder who squats daily. that's strength and hypertrophy covered. i'm not an expert in oly programming and i'm not aware of their reasoning for squatting that often, though i am aware of them doing so. my guess would be that snatches and C&J for sets of 1-3 and shit are not fatiguing enough to make daily squatting unfeasible. if you're deadlifting heavy with any kind of frequency, as well as having to recover from heavy bench, rows etc you can forget about squatting every day. as far as i'm aware daily squatting is a highly specific tool beneficial to people who train in highly specific ways, and making the assertation that you'll "never make it" without it is something that will get you laughed out of any powerlifting meet in the world.

What coach tells naturals to squat heavily every day?

I run the same nigga,

2 days a week 1.5-2 hours each.

Squat+Bench + chest stuff and some legs.
OHP+Deadlift + shoulder stuff and some legs.

Progressing in volume nicely.

Also intensity is high that I'm barely recovering.

>Squats (just do a few sets lol)
>Dips
>Pull-ups
>OHP
>Curls 4 Sluts
>Lat Raises 4 Sluts

so you want to be tired by the time you do OHP? starting with squats is stupid

>Deadlifts (just a set or 2 lol)
>Barbell Bench Press
>Dumbbell Rows
>1 arm Standing Dumbbell Press
>Power Shrugs
>Curls 4 Sluts

this is dumb for the same reason. your bench will always suck because you're tiring yourself out from the deadlifts

Fullbody 3 times a week is the goat method
1 Max effort day
1 Repeated effort day
1 Dynamic effort day

>brb get strong, big, fast.
>brb get rest
>brb only 4-6 hours a week lifting.

best use of your time if you're a natty.

>memelifting
>bodybuilding

And there are powerlifters who squat everyday,
Damien Pezzuti comes to mind.

bold statement without pics. Do you work out at planet fitness?

I do PPLPPL but I only deadlift once a week on the pull day, always squatting on leg day

Pull + deadlift
Pull-ups x 3
Rows x 3
Rear-delt flys x 3
Deadlift x 3
Chin-ups x 3
Some biceps if I still have energy x 3

Push
Bench x 3
Incline bench x 3
OHP x 3
Dips x 3
Heavy abs x 3
Some tricep isolation exercise if I still have energy x 3

Legs
Squats x 3
Calves isolation

---
Pull
Pull-ups x 3
Rows x 3
Rear-delt flys x 3
Chin-ups x 3
Some biceps if I still have energy x 3

Push
Bench x 3
Incline bench x 3
OHP x 3
Dips x 3
Heavy abs (different exercise usually) x 3
Some tricep isolation exercise if I still have energy x 3

Legs
Squats x 3
Calves isolation

How so? It's just under two hours a day of training. I'm at the Uni and it's fine for me.

also I do yoga 1-2 a week, more often than not its hot yoga and its on my rest day

I'm training at home tho.

when did the PPL overtraining meme start? been doing PPL for like 2 years now and it's really not that hard, maybe you guys are just pussies

Bench
Row
Squat
Ohp
Pull ups
Bicep curls

5x5
3.5 times a week

Attached: 7609AE0C-0AE7-4A0E-9C41-71AEC73F83B7.jpg (300x393, 67K)

people fear what they don't understand
they mock what they fear

>i do a brosplit, but with a shit ton of volume,
if it works for you, that's wonderful
doesn't mean it's optimal for the majority of people

no wonder 90% of this board looks like shit lol

Based Saitama. Post head

what are some good programs that follow this set up?

the truth about upper/lower is that if you like working out 6 days a week you'll be training upper again before you've completely rested since the last upper day
but if you're only in the gym 4 days a week then you'll do great
but if you prefer to go into the gym 6 days a week PPL is more optimal because you can do push while you're still recovering from your pull day, etc.
thats just how i see it is all. its all about frequency

go into the gym and use literally every machine until you get hungry and need to leave
then come back to Veeky Forums and wonder why you've made no gains in the last year

post pics you dyel twink

maybe because there are people here who aren't neets that can't afford to spend 6 fucking days a week in the gym?

its 6 days per week in the gym for 2x a week muscle frequency
you can get the same result as a 6 day PPL with a 4 day upper/lower, a 2 or 3 day fullbody, or a 4 day push/pull
people who seperate "legs" and "pull" like that for PPL are retarded

Some girls care a lot about legs, in a roasties habitat (the club) it doesnt matter then thats true.

how is that in anyway similar to max effort, repeated effort, and dynamic effort

Let's say you have the time. What would you do then?

>you can get the same result as a 6 day PPL with a 4 day upper/lower
but mathematically your volume would be less
if you can do 15 sets on push, and 15 sets on pull, then you're effectively hitting your upper body with 60 sets a week
but theres no fuckin way you're doing 30 sets on one upper day if you're doing an upper/lower split
its a trade-off. you're trading volume for convenience.
>max effort, repeated effort, and dynamic effort
sorry i don't know these crossfit terms i just like lifting

>PPL is more optimal because you can do push while you're still recovering from your pull day, etc.
>thats just how i see it is all. its all about frequency

i don't know why people think you'll be well rested enough for this. all your muscles are attached to the same frame. you shoulders will hate doing weighted pullups the day after heavy bench and tricep work.

Im on full body 3x a week and its packing on weight even though its slow to show its a full body muscle workout , i find the isolation lifts are really causing muscles to pop in the isolated areas

i do pull then push, not push then pull
i haven't noticed any issues really. whenever i bench theres nothing i did the day before that hurts

this is me btw:

Will a couple of beers a night cause under recovery, doing well but want to know if can do better

>he thinks program X will define if you make gains or not

>only NEETs can do ppl
Wrong. It takes only one hour out of 24 for you to be at the gym.
You'll still have 23 which you'll take at least 08 for sleep which makes it 15 hours for everything else.
Unless you're a wage cuck that works 10+ hours a day, that's enough for you to do whatever shit you want.
Time is not the problem.

Day 1:
Max effort day.
work up to a 3rpm then perform a couple back off sets.

day 2:
Repeated effort.
5 sets of 10-15 reps add weight when you reach 15 reps on a set.

day 3. dynamic effort.
65-70% of 1 rep max with max speed.
6 sets of 3s with 0.5-1 minute rest in between.
squat and deadlift variation.

add volume work each day.
row variation
weighted pull/chin ups and dips. try to go for 100-reps
few sets of arms.
core.

quick outline of what i'm running.
just stick with a variation until you plateau, than deload week and switch variation. Keep track of your lifts. keep increasing weight.

this is not for cutting.

Does PPL make sense if you can only train three days a week?

if you have a rest day between each then i could see myself make it work (e.g.: PxPxLxx)
hard to say though

squat and deadlift variation every day.

i like to pick a heavy and a light variation. forexample. squat coupled with snatch grip deadlift. squat will have no limits but snatch grip will be limited by grip. nomsayin

this will kill your pump though, because those 2 days after leg day you will have no pump from recently working out
just a caveat

if you want to get big do this.

>but theres no fuckin way you're doing 30 sets on one upper day if you're doing an upper/lower split
15 sets is excessive anyway. This is the main problem with natties: wanting to do too much shit.
how would you break down 15 sets on a push workout? max you need is 8-10
3 x 5-12 OHP/Flat Bench/Incline Bench/Decline Bench/Close Grip bench/Floor Press/Weighted Dip
3 x 5-12 Dumbell Bench Press / Incline Dumbell bench / seated dumbbell shoulder press
2 x 8-15 Tricep Pulldown
2 x 8-15 Tricep Extension

On an upper day you just do 8-10 sets for push, 8-10 sets for pull

an hour a day is too much time for you? i study full time and work part time and can still easily fit in PPL to my schedule

it does. i do it. tom mutaffis' program does it (pic related has it in the middle column, but he's slightly tweaked it since then).

you squat on leg day and deadlift on pull day.

stop.

Attached: 1517575089344.png (2143x1912, 768K)

>if you are on steroids, do this
FTFY

the same rule applies though, if you can only do 10 sets, then with PPL youre training upper body 40 sets a week but with upper/lower you're doing 20 sets a week

its true though

still doesn't make it any better
recovery is just as important as training but you're leaving little room for that going to the gym 6 days a week.

not at all. 3 days a week is 1x a week muscle frequency.
literally only hitting each muscle group 4x per month

working out 6x a week for an hour a day is not even close to overtraining and that's more than enough recovery time. you really don't know what the fuck you're talking about sorry

you think you can't recover from that?
must be a twiggy twink who can't eat enough.

I can only hit the gym up 5 times a week.

I do:
Chest/Back
Shoulders/Arms/Abs
Legs
Shoulder/Chest/Back
Legs/Arms/Abs
rest/cardio
rest/cardio

any oly coach will tell you to squat every training session once you're past 3 plate.

> the same rule applies though, if you can only do 10 sets, then with PPL youre training upper body 40 sets a week but with upper/lower you're doing 20 sets a week
are you joking or what? no natty needs 40 sets per week to grow, that's not optimal in the slightest. there is such a thing as diminishing returns. 15-25 sets is what you want for consistent progress

lol you both are wrong on opposite ends.

people 1.) vastly underestimate how much recovery is needed, and 2.) vastly overestimate how much they can do and still make progress.

to address the first, it doesnt take as much as most people thing to cause the stress needed for muscle growth. translation: 3x a week is sufficient, and it is actually the tried and true frequency.

to address the second, you dont build muscle when you go to the gym, you build muscle when your body regenerates the muscle fiber e.g. recovery/rest. you can definitely be successful 6x a week, but 1.) you absolutely dont need to, and 2.) if you're doing a full hour of good work during each of those exercises, you're overtraining. the only way you arent overtraining is if you're half-assing the shit or on gear.

My godly ppl, been working wonders. Cya nerds at the top

Attached: 65665333-0998-4CAA-BF65-22699A97292B.png (1242x2208, 268K)

who said anything about overtraining? all i said that recovery is just as important is training. fewer days in the gym is more recovery and more gains.
you can do the same amount of workload in 2-3 gym sessions as a 6 day per week PPL which gives you more time to do other shit, cardio, gpp, etc.
the only reason to do 6x per week PPL is if you just really really like being in the gym a lot.

how am I wrong? everything you said in this post is in accordance to what i said here

too much volume too little intensity.

see ya at the baby weights and pink dumbbells where I pick up your girlfriend and drag her to my bedroom

Attached: 84563A59-BFD7-4728-BEC1-B70CCC8209DA.png (1242x2208, 103K)

you're mostly on the money, but the only thing i took issue with was saying 3x a week isnt enough frequency.

You're just weak.

Looks like shit, I bet you're small and weak.

nigga you are playing yourself, go read 10/20 life, 5/3/1 or whatever and please learn about programming.

you must be lifting baby weight lmao
if you have more than 2 pressing movements in one day you're doing it wrong

for the love of god, please refer to or the sticky and pick a program.

if not, don't post to Veeky Forums about how nothing works. we warned you.

you must've misunderstood. that part of my post was directed to this guy who wanted to know if PPL three times a week was fine, which it isn't because it's only 1x a week freq.