Redpill me on the {{{auto industry}}}, /biz. Is it better to buy new or used, lease, cash or finance?

Redpill me on the {{{auto industry}}}, /biz. Is it better to buy new or used, lease, cash or finance?

Buy a bobby car

Used cheap low mileage car with clean title.

/thread

Used japanese. Take it to a mechanic and pay the 75 dollars to have them inspect before you buy

I work as F&I. New cars are whored way under msrp, most manufactures lose money on new cars. used cars are mostly junks and people are disgusting. leasing cars is the best, even though you mind as well put a match to your money. it's a lose lose.

Buying a used car as is with no warranty is what most people do as it's all they can afford. They end up sinking $1000s into repairs. Purchasing new is smarter as you get warrantied for 3-5 years so any repairs are free. Leasing is the most financially sound option for the short term however you build no equity.

Buy a used ~150k miles japanese beater sedan on craigslist. ~2k for the deal and another 2k for any mid-life repairs. You'll be set for another 150k miles.

this

I always buy used but my dad's a mechanic who's worked on everything from cars to airplanes to tanks over the course of his life and he goes with me to look it over before I purchase.

FINANCE LIGHTLY USED

ALSO, DONT BUY AMERICAN CARS

Buy Japanese
Lease German

1 year old Honda Accord with low miles and existing warranty is probably your best overall bet

I splurged a bit on a Maxima because it was sexy

i wann a buy me a truck but aint got no money how i get me a truck

Chevy and Ford are now patently average, not bad

Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge though .. absolutely not

How important are things like handling and ---sportiness---? Are they just marketing trick words?

If you take the nurburgring to work they could come on handy.

Learning how to buy a used car is a grwat skill. Something I'm glad my dad taught me.

They make them more fun to drive. Usually a non factor for most people though.

I want to lease a car. But it would be a cheaper sedan, like an accord, maybe civic. Is this still worth it? I was considering a 10 yr old acura previously. Cars will change so much in three years, and I figure I could afford a tesla by then as well.

I highly recommend a used Acura TL. One of the most reliable cars out there and comfortable, quick (enough), and decent mileage. To this day, the 06-08 TL-S is still a better looking 4-door than most new ones.

Hi, I am an Veeky Forumstist and have a mechanical engineering degree.
Buy used and buy in full.

New cars being more reliable is a meme, look up bathtub curves for product life cycles.
And if you can't buy the car you need for cash then you simply can't afford it or are looking at something that is overpriced for your needs.

You have absolutely no grasp of technology.
At all.

a car is a depreciating asset, you want to put as little money as possible into it as late as you can. if you have 10K to pay for a car, you're just slowly giving your money away. but you could lease a car for $200/month and invest the rest. paying cash for a car is smart only if you plan to keep it for more than 10 years and if you are able to do some of the maintenance yourself. otherwise, you're wasting money that could be making you money with investments.

That's true but you could also buy a used car on a low interest loan and have even lower monthly payments than a lease. Depends what you want in a car at that point.

Used car from 3-6 years ago with

If Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus, 100k+ miles is no big deal. Just make sure 100k service was done. If you take care of those cars, no reason you can't get to 300k miles with just regular wear-and-tear maintenance.

Yep, forgot to mention Japanese autos. I bought a 2013 Accord, 30k miles, fully loaded, with the car insurance claim from my 6 year old Toyota. Was able to almost cover the full cost of the car.
Jap cars retain value amazingly. Especially Toyota.

this

Japanes petrol engines are invincible.

Dont buy diesel tho

absolutely true. the reason i mentioned a lease is because you take 0 risk. if you finance the vehicle, you take all the risk. for example, if the car is totaled a few days after you buy it, you're responsible for the difference in payoff and what the insurance company says it's worth. also, with a lease, you don't have to replace tires or brakes before the lease is up; just oil changes, filters, and tire rotations. some manufacturers even include scheduled maintenance in the lease

>Dont buy diesel
???

Bought a used Volkswagen Golf 4 in like 2005.
It cost me like 5k usd and runs very will till today. Would buy again, very worth it. My brother bought a hands civic or something the same year, it broke down few years later. Buying can be absolutely worth it but if you're unlucky the car you pick fucking sucks and ends up costing you loads of money. Use public transport if you can and don't live in a rural area