/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General: Fukkin Heretics Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War. Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk. ROLEPLAYING.

Book Repositories (If you're planning o downloading any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file I put in the RT directory.)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Previous Thread

Anybody ever wonder how the line might have fared if Black Library's RPG division hadn't folded?

>Come up with great plan to flank around the Tau forces held up in this big fortress and hit them from the side while our meatbag throwaway troops charge them from the front as a diversion
>Commander and the Ministorum Priest give big speeches to the troops to rile them up
>Everyone just charges with the diversion, ignoring the perfect plan we had spent 20 minutes on and the DM's great scenario we'd face

Tell me, /40krpg/, why are my squad mates fucking idiots?

Typical guardsmen, probably thought the frontal charge was the main attack.

>Come up with a cool Tau Commander boss fight for the Kill Team
>They beat his ass in 3 turns rolling hits and sometimes crits

They weren't even fucking guardsmen. Our squad - an Ogryn (the commander, don't ask), a priest, an operator, a psyker, and a techpriest (me) - was commanding a bunch of planetary defense force red shirts, and everyone (except me, because apparently I'm the only one with some common fucking sense) wanted to charge straight into the main line of defense, with dozens of Tau guns aiming at us.

Well...at least you had an Operator, that's a Guardsman specialty.

I've been thinking an ogryn commander would be entertaining.

...I know that feeling.

I remember when I was the sergeant in a OW squad and it gave me flashbacks to my time in the army...

Some people don't care about tactics and don't want to think for any complicated solutions to problems. Luckily it worked for us because they didn't mind tagging along and they were having fun as well even if I did most of the tactical decisions all alone.

Same thing happened in a different game with (mostly) the same players. I and another player made the plans and once we had to leave the campaign due to IRL things taking away too much time the campaign got run into a wall few times simply because the players were flailing around without any kind of plans. (The GM complained to me about it later.)

For this evening's last update on the "let's build an entire hive city district in real scale" project, I've added a few warehouses to the Mechanicus district.

Tomorrow, I'm adding a steel mill. There are still so many gaps, but it's slowly filling in.

>For this evening's last update on the "let's build an entire hive city district in real scale" project
How is it a hive without being inside a multi-layered superstructure?

Presumably it is; he's just doing up the layout of a particular area on one of the levels.

What is the best RPG to play with a girl new to 40K?

Black Crusade with an all Slaanesh-aligned party.

Is she just new to 40k, or is she new to RPGs in general? Gut instinct says either Rogue Trader or DH 2e.

She might be into it but I however would not

So 40krpg, tell us about your last mission and how unsubtle you all were.

Our most recent mission ended up with a noble's house on fire and the team's Sisters ending up almost considered saints on the planet.

We didn't do subtle very well.

New to both really

DH 2e would be best then as it has the most workable mechanics.

Why Catholic?

The Ministorum generally has a very Catholic styling about it in the sweeping grandeur of its churches and the general attire and manner of its members.

Also, all the Latin, though in 40k's case it's mostly pseudo-Latin.

The only problem is I kinda wanna play Only War but I dont know if it'd work well with someone new to the Grimderpness

It's also got a pretty decent ruleset, but I could see the whole "YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW" aspect not being perhaps as appealing to her as the more intrigue-focused premise of DH. Unless she's a total tomboy, in which case I salute you for having good taste.

How do people who've played Only War feel about comrades. I have a feeling my Rogue Trader group is falling apart, and perhaps I can scrap an Only War group out of the remnants.

I like the idea, I think it's interesting and lets the players take more control over their entire squad and feel like more than a single soldier.

However my players think it's just a shitty additional, worthless part of the system which was added only because they needed to add something.

I'm going to go with Comrades anyway (it'll give me an opportunity for additional RP even if they're off on their own for a mission), but I would just like to hear about everyone else's experiences with them.

I've found them a little hard to get used to but when you use them right they're pretty awesome. Especially with some of those talents in Hammer that make Ranged Volley surprisingly nasty.

I like the comrades.

Yeah, you can just think of them as an extra HP shield and a small bonus to skills (they really are helpful in many ways) but I think it's better when players get attached to them. We rolled for the comrade demeanour and really tried to get a feel for their character. Basically the players were playing them as an additional minor character (much more limited than the actual PC) but still a part of the experience.

...And keep a list of everyone who dies in the game, including comrades. All will have a place on the wall of fallen heroes.

>Small bonus
Until a Sergent uses Get Them! and the player reminds everybody of the ranged volley order.

I like the one ranged volley booster talent that lets you impose a penalty to dodge. Invaluable against Dark Eldar hax.

You don't often hear about the quaker inquisition, now do you?

Get Them! is essential. As is the other skill that let's the sergeant rally broken comrades. (Otherwise the comrade is in panic until the battle is over.)

But things get really fun when you use the skills that let you get additional advantages in close combat when you team up against someone with your comrade. I can't remember the names but basically you get the same advantages as you get from outnumbering your opponents even if that isn't the case.

Close Quarters? It is one of the basic orders that everybody with a comrade gets.

That's pretty solid RPing from them as Imperial Commanders though...

I think there was another one as well that made it even better. It may have been in one of the other books.

To the user that last thread asked about my naval marines in OW, I statted them up wanting to have something niche, it was more a way to use some of the more overlooked creation options. Some additional rules from stuff taken from here were used to swap around some items or modifications in order to allow for a fleshed out kit.

They're Void Born, Line infantry, with a Fixed commander. Training Doctrines are Close Order Drill and Close Quarters Battle, Equipment Doctrine is Electro-Vox Warfare. Drawback is Incompetent Leadership.

This gives them a nice edge in close combat, obviously, as their main operational role will be during boarding actions. Seeing their chances to be deployed near dangerous systems (or simply outer bulkheads) without express orders to destroy them, I made a point of not giving them high pen weapons as favoured. By using some options and swapping points around they end up with a compact triplex pattern as main weapon, using bolters and multilasers as support. Their armor is a modified light carapace with built in void suit and photo visor, no mag boots because their MO is disabling gravity as soon as possible and then exploit their void born advantage. Multikeys and a bunch of electronic stuff from their doctrine make them go wherever they want without the need to blow holes in the walls everytime.

The main problem is that the captain of the ship hates them with a passion because he's a firm believer in long range engagements, he's the kind of guy who would just order firing solutions while listening to classical music and snort in disgust at the thought of unrefined boarding actions

>Ogryn and Priest both give huge firebrand speeches about purging the vile xenos, the Ogryn's drifting a little too close to heresy when he got too into it and started screaming about blood and skulls. The entire PDF were hollering and shooting their lasguns in the air when some fuckwit (me) screamed CHARGE and mob mentality did the rest.

Your setup actually makes me wonder about something. In OW, does a regimental type count against the number of doctrines you can have, or does it not? I always thought that it did.

If your employer (or a potential employer in your desired field who would 100% hire you if you did this) asked you what one mechadendrite you'd like to have that would aid you in your work, what would you pick and why? It has to be related to your profession and it can only be one.

I'd go with Medicae Mechadendrite. It'd free up my hands and arms to take my samples for me at the precise mL that I need it too.

Some homebrew black crusade adventures, maybe? If anyone have it

Checked again and you're right, but as I said in this case I fumbled a bit to have a more fleshed out regiment, points-wise it's balanced by the drawback.

>version 1.2.0

Have the latest version. Just a minor change to the class aptitudes, but it's still a relevant different.

>This is really quite good; the only thing it kind of misses is proper stats for things to throw AT Knights.
I'm still pondering whether or not I should include that. Since OW already includes plenty of vehicles to throw at Knights (just need to use significant quantities of them), but there's a lack of super-heavies you can throw at other Knights. I have written up a couple for Heavy Metal Chivalry but I'm honestly not sure if I should include them in the document proper.

That and I'm also pondering to include a new critical table (since I find the OW one a bit lackluster for Knights) to give critical effects in a Mechwarrior style (limbs independently blown off, reactor shut downs and etc). But that might make them too durable.

Either way that's not on the table until Heavy Metal Chivalry is over.

I get the feeling it wouldn't have been as prolific as it is now. Fewer splats, probably higher quality lore, but I don't think we'd have seen the evolution and streamlining of the system either.

Would have probably meant a little less power creep and better proofreading, though.

What is she into?

If she doesn't particularly dig the grimdark I'd say Rogue Trader. It doesn't go full bore into the guts unless it has to, and it provides a good range of game styles, from war to high intrigue to exploration. Rogue traders are expected to be eccentric and pick up weird stuff and people from Emperor knows where, so she can fit in without knowing too much about the setting.

Also, she gets a ship and literally thousands of minions and a near unlimited budget she can play with while conquering the Expanse.

Depends on what you're applying for I suppose.

As a Barman, I'd either go Utility, or modify a Flamer Mechadendrite (strip out the pilot light and swap the promethium for Jager or something.)

Only War worked for the girl in my group. She plays the unit Scout and spends half of the game playing "The Semi-Heretical Adventures of Scout and Sniper".

They are no longer allowed within 50ft of Hallucinogen Grenades, Servo-Skulls, Civilians, or Field Latrines.

Encourage your players to flesh out their Comrades a little. Name them, give them demeanours, and when someone gets a leg blown off, they get to play their Comrade.

If the Comrade survives, they get the Veteran Comrade upgrade for free. If they already have it, they get a couple hundred points to spend on said Comrade.

It helps that if they play the Comrade for a while they start to put a bit of character into them.

Brief story.
>GM-ing Rogue Trader for group of three (Rogue Trader, Explorator, and Navigator)
>Navigator is mutant who has to wear facemask to avoid causing fear effect on anyone who looks at him.
>Group is conducting negotiations for trade contract.
>Important NPC's bodyguards request PC's deposit weapons outside negotiation room.
>Navigator says "My face is a weapon"
>Guard orders Navigator to remove his mask.
>He does so, and the guards freak out, due to fear-effect.
>Gun-fight errupts.
>Important NPC was explicitly said to be wearing two bandoliers of grenades.
>Rogue Trader pulls out melta pistol and shoots important guy, causing his grenades to explode.
>Entire room now full of smoke and hallucinogen gas.
>Fight devolves into confused slugging match as nobody can see and everybody is suffering amusing effects from the hallucinogen gas effects table.

This happens to me all the time.
I find myself making all of the tactical plans in the games in my group, and sometimes they listen to me, sometimes they don't.
Worse is when my pc isn't the type to think of the same scale of plans I as a player do, and I have to try and adhoc them to the group.

Last mission is still going.
2 of the party got captured, our entire cover was blown sky high, the bad guys knew exactly who we are and have our.... SHIT THEY HAVE OUR COMM FREQUENCY I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT.
I have no doubt our gm is using it against us. Fucking hell, can't believe that slipped my mind.
We basically were told by our boss to fix the problem or he drops the hammer on everyone, including us, so we waved our dicks in everyone's faces and got shit rolling.

Okay, /40krpg/, I need some advice.
>Am forever GM
>Finally decide that I want to play in a game, even if it's online
>Make young, idealistic commissar fresh out of the Schola
>Everything going well, bros with storm trooper.
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>Checking out the other characters, almost all of them seem pretty good
>Except for the sniper.
>He has one of the edgiest pictures I have ever seen.
>It's a skull-headed guy in a blood-stained tacticool jumpsuit, with a machete in one hand and a severed head in the other, all with a giant fire in the background.
>Honestly thought he was a Callidus assassin until I read his background
>Heretic dad raped guardsman mom, mother got executed for heresy
>it begins.jpg
>Taken in by Schola, natural aptitude for sniping from childhood
>Is violent, Emperor-hating atheist
>MFW
>Talk to him about the obvious conflict
>He says, "Don't worry user, I won't be mad if you try to kill me if you find out."
>On the other hand, the entire rest of his character.
Wat do?

Forgot pic

Talk to the gm, point out the very notable inconsistencies, and remind the gm that this is screaming towards internecine combat that not everyone signed up for.

bump

It's not canon breaking or anything to have people or cults worship two or three chaos gods out of four?

It's just never mentioned and all chaos characters seem to have a specific singular alignment.

>From Schola Progenium

>It's not canon breaking or anything to have people or cults worship two or three chaos gods out of four?
Not really, though it is odd to leave 1 out of the equation if they are already worshiping more than 1 god

Well what does Nurgle have to do with a Tokyo Ghoul rip off cult?

You got my hopes up for a moment, but in a different user who asked about naval warfare.
I'll probably try to tweak skimmers into ships and shit.

dark heresy. let her do whatever the fuck she wants with character creation; 40k lore is so all over the map that whatever concept she comes up with will fit in the universe.

my girlfriend plays a tech-priest who has a human face with badly applied make-up grafted to a tech skull (human brain inside). she caries a deaf cat in a basket with her at all times and presents the cat when interacting with humans as a way of showing "empathy."

this other guy i play with plays a tech-priest who's body is mostly coils and is now fairly amorphous; he uses a vat-grown body as a puppet/suit when interacting with humans.

while not the tech-priest image in my mind, it totally works.

Should've thrown some mooks in to make things challenging. Also, 3 turns to take down a single target is a decent time.

>let her do whatever the fuck she wants with character creation; 40k lore is so all over the map that whatever concept she comes up with will fit in the universe

Just make sure to file off the more obvious references and sprinkle in a skull or ten.

Can't help with that sorry

Talk with the GM about how stupid and incoherent his character is and start calling him edgyman.
Seriously, how he passed on the Schola progenum begin a heretic?

Unrealted question: in which plataform are you playing? Roll20?

>Heretic dad raped guardsman mom, mother got executed for heresy
>Taken in by Schola
That's not how any of this works.

This mess makes me wonder, Veeky Forums, how would you stat out a Schola Progenium home world for DH 2e? Has anyone made one?

One player specifically made a dumb brute character in a game because he could use it as an excuse not to join any tactical debates. "Nah, my dude only cares about fighting, his son and his wife. ...In that order. No talk tactical stuff or plans." ...As a clarification, usually he is one of the few tactical planners and for this game he wanted a way out of that role.

We were supposed to scout a region and catch a prisoner from the Severan Dominate. We were driving around in our Chimaera when we were fired upon by a light vehicle painted in the colours of the Dominate and we decided to simply ram the fuck out of it. This tipped the vehicle around and forced the surviving crew members to come out, my sarge charged them and nearly gutted the first one he came across (severely injured by chainsword but still alive) and after a round of fighting our Commissar ordered them to surrender.

...Unfortunately one of the enemies decided to pull the pins on his frag grenades rather than get caught alive and we barely survived the blast. None of the potential prisoners was as lucky. Welp, better luck next time.

I've found that RT works exceptionnaly well if you allow players to interpret lots of crewmembers.
Instead of playing the navigator going everywhere to follow the party, one player can be a pilot in naval combat, an enginseer during travel, and a bodyguard during ground missions. Actually makes balancing way easier for the GM, too.
We did that a bit with OW too, with quick pre-sessions with comrades or officers only. Nice to get up to date with the campaign events after a long break and extent the setting.

This.
I'm not a fan of the "everyone gets mindcleansed at the Schola" fluff, but such a character would certainly have been mindwiped.
A traitor getting though the net would be a really exceptional occurence, probably not fitting with a low-level starting party.

As a GM, IF he really wants that kind of character AND is a mature player, I would allow him to keep the background, and have it come back bit by bit, maybe due to daemonic/xeno influence or triggering events. Could make a nice inner conflict (has my whole life been a lie, who am I really, which side is right, yadda, yadda...) instead of making him work against the party from the beginning. But even that would need confidence. I wouldn't do that with half of my group, even if they're all rpg veterans and reasonable adults.
You might want to discuss it with your GM. At least question it about why he allowed it, and how he wants to run inter-party conflict.
You might also want to ask the player the motive behind the character : What themes he wants to explore with it, how he envision the game, etc...

Ps : I believe there is a sleeper agent advance package or something in DH that could be used for such a case.

IIRC, norse barbarian tribes in Warhammer Fantasy often had incomplete pantheons, and worshipped minor entities alongside the big 4.

>I believe there is a sleeper agent advance package or something in DH that could be used for such a case.
There's at least two. The infil-traitor and the Cistron.

Kick ass, man.

Metal.

You could probably port over the one from Only War without too much difficulty.

Only thing that would be kind of hard to peg would be the special ability.

I think it would work better as a background.
However, quick thing I put together:
>Characteristic Modifiers - +WP, +Ifl, -Per
>Fate threshold - 3 (Emperor’s Blessing 5+)
>Home World Bonus - Raised for greatness: When a Progenia character burns Fate threshold to survive a lethal injury, roll 1d10. On a result of 10, he survives whatever grievous wound would have killed him but does not reduce his Fate threshold.
If the character rolled 96–99 on the Divination table, this bonus applies on a result of 9-10 instead.
Alternatively - We are all a weapon in the hands of the Emperor: Progenia characters can use the following weapons without suffering the -20 malus for being untrained: bolt pistol, boltgun, laspistol, lasgun, autogun, stub automatic, stub revolver, shotgun.
>Home World Aptitude - Willpower
>Wounds - 9+1d5
>Recommended Backgrounds - Adeptus Administratum, Sister of Battle, Imperial Navy, Imperial Guard

I'm not very satisfied about the bonus, but I can't think of anything really fitting.
At first I thought about giving them insainity instead of corruption, then discovered that it's exactly what the Sororitas background bonus is. I would have been a great rpg developer!

I'd give them -Fel instead of -Per, but otherwise that's the tits.

>I think it would work better as a background
No, because the Schola feeds into the Guard, Sororitas, and the Adepta, which are all Backgrounds. It works best as a home world.

>final session

>Acolytes have been investigating these strange mutant creatures appearing on a feudal world

>eventually tie it into the Planetary governer or the 'baron'.

>turns out he'd been digging into an ancient imperial base that sat underground and found a machine that turns human lifeforce into regenerating drugs

>Baron had people captured and put in this machine, the creatures were the byproduct

>all of the juice went into this big tank that was below it

>party eventually finds this secret complex, as well as an abandoned part of the complex that had ancient equipment

>and two pieces of large armour, a shoulder-pad and a greave, painted white and blue.

>Party eventually corners him and disconnects the pipe from the machine to the resivoir

>it begins draining, there is a figure inside

>The Arbite notices the figure is wearing armour, the same colour as the pieces they found earlier

>it wakes up

>players reaction when they just woke a Hersy-era World-eater out of stasis

>Baron had literally no idea it was in there, as he had just been siphoning the drugs out

>gets disarmed and incinerated by his own plasma-pistol, the marine then turns on the acolytes

>In the course of 3 rounds, the Psyker perils 3 times, the marine gets hit by two melta attacks and the priest gets a 26 damage 15 AP attack with an eviscerator

>Unfortunately, the Priest got corrupted as a result of the perils and the assasin had been making deals with a demon

>psyker gets 5DoS on a psynicience roll, detects them both, assasin sudokus and the arbite blows the priest's explosive collar (attached after he staged a riot)

what a nice end

Great work, user. How about Fortress, Post-Cataclysmic, or Civilized Worlds?

How different are Dark Heresy 2 and Rogue Trader from each other? Currently reading the former.

Or Lolita?

I'm conflicted about that one; in the end I think they shouldn't have below average fellowship, since the Schola is gonna be an important group of peers, and some of them are trained to lead (or at least interact with people).
IMO, the sheltered environment and lack of social diversity would result in a bit of cluelessness, hence the reduced Perception.

Which bonus do you prefer?

>Fortress, Post-Cataclysmic, or Civilized Worlds?
Well, I have to go to sleep now, but I'll look at that tomorrow.

>Lolita Worlds
I know the maxim is "Every trope is in 40k somewhere, with extra skulls on", but...really, dude? Really?

Personally? I prefer Fated For Greatness, Weapons feels awkward and is a savings of maybe 600 XP total at most.

It´s the name of an agri world (I think) in I don´t know which segmentum.

Agri Worlds are in DH 2e already, Enemies...Within, I think.

200-300 XP per training

Easily saving 1000+ XP

>IMO, the sheltered environment and lack of social diversity would result in a bit of cluelessness, hence the reduced Perception.

My main problem with that is that I just find it a little hard to jive "elite storm trooper trainee from childhood" with "below average ability to spot and detect stuff". Whereas most professions the Schola tracks its students into aren't generally ones where subtle social skills are needed.

Oh,and yeah, I like Fated For Greatness better.

And it covers three trainings
>Las
>SP
>Bolt
You are almost guaranteed to pick up at least one of Las or SP training at chargen thanks to Backgrounds. Bolt is harder, but using it requires your GM and warband style permitting a bolt pistol. It's not as good as it looks.

Should just give them Weapon Training (Universal)

It's a thing apparently.
Yes, but specific worlds such as the Shrine World of Ossuar from Enemy Beyond have their own special rules

is there a place I can get pre-made Deathwatch characters from?

Final Sanction has some.

anywhere else? I was thinking more like a repository.

DH 2 is based on only war, Rogue Trader is mostly based on dark heresy 1. The mechanics are somewhat different, RT is still somewhat class/career based, DH 2 much less so. However, the OW progression has its own ups and downs, so I cannot recomend either on that alone.

When it comes to theme and mood, there is a fair bit of a difference. Rogue Trader plays in the expanse, where the titular rogue traders are pretty much left to their own devices as they explore, plunder and occasionally die horribly. DH 2 has the PCs be a part of an inquisitors acoly... oh, sorry, warband, and is set in the pretty crappy askelion sector.

DESU I preferred DH 1 for quite a few things.

>occasionally die horribly.
>Occasionally
If large numbers of redshir- er, armsmen, don't die horribly on a routine basis, you're not Rogue Trading right. Armsmen are to Rogue Trader as a 10 foot pole is to D&D.

Yeah personally I'd be inclined to play DH 2e but use the Calixis Sector fluff.

So, who dies more often - guardsmen or armsmen?

Yes.

Okay... I´ll take your word for it...