/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

pastebin.com/NjH6gQqi

Previous thread: Pandora uploaded all her character art to Imgur, and provided a zip.
thenewminus.imgur.com/
mediafire.com/download/bsfqtd45b9fwbvp/pc.zip
(If you could start uploading them to urbfan.booru.com that'd be swell)

Someone linked Dreams of Avarice
sendspace.com/file/ctjmhm

And someone else linked the Demon Storyteller's Guide
drive.google.com/file/d/0B8lHuEeaOkFRM3BfNE80Y0dpSTQ/view?usp=docslist_api

>Question
Who is your favorite character?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FoIy7Y7H72Q
youtube.com/watch?v=76Pq8sTFmvw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

chronicles of fagness

Still better than [your preferred system].

I've never cared to remember any character from a splat book's fiction. Then again I only recently started bothering to read the fiction.

Chronicles Of Hopefully Mage 2e Will Be Released This Week

I don't really care for any of their signature characters in any line. It's odd, but I'd never use an NPC or character from any of the sourcebooks or novels. I think it was because my first game was Requiem's New Orleans and I hated the fucking Prince.

For me half the fun (more than half really) is coming up with my own characters based on the rules and setting, so even looking at their characters is at best an example of what works.

It's more of a cwod than nwod thing.

Did anyone here make any pitches on their open call the other week? If so, what'd you pitch them?

It just says favourite character, not favourite character from the fiction.

What open call?

Like two Monday Meetings ago, they asked for pitches in the comments.

I like Ms. Storm/Evelyn, Mr. Shears/Billy, Carbon/Lane, Abe, and Ms. Lyne, from Demon: Interface

As far as favorite, though, I think I'd say Carbon/Lane, because of his ingenious Gadgets.

Hey, I read the first story of that.

My favorite character from the actual published stuff is probably Solomon Birch because he's the worst.

admittedly the description sounds way cooler.

literally who?

>Who is your favorite character?
idk Smiling Jack is Pretty fucking neato.

You should read the rest of it, Interface is pretty dang solid. Demon's got some great fiction as a line in general.

I've yet to find one from the fiction that really grabs me, though I've never read any of the anthologies, so I might be missing out. For what it's worth, I like the Promethean iconics quite a lot.

My favorite of my own characters is still the Spring Court Beast Runnerswift, March the Mad Hare.

Haven't really bothered reading any "canon" characters.
But my favorite of my own was Jill.
Thyrsus, Arrow Lumberjack who wandered off into the Canadian wilderness for weeks or months at a time, meeting/fighting Spirits/Cryptids.
Made some friends with Werewolves.
Had a child with one.

I'm GMing, not playing, but my favorite NPC character is Khanem-Set, a Mummy conqueror who woke up and is constantly trying to rule the world in my Hunter game. He's wonderfully hammy (think Doctor Doom by way of Apocalypse) and is very fun to play.

Since we're also talking NPCs, my favorite one from my game, so far, is a bum. An Angel whose Cover is a bum, rather; he's named Willy, because his first appearance was in the police station, pissing his pants across the room from one of the PCs during her Prelude. He later showed up in an abandoned building they were investigating, and followed them around to make sure they didn't find something specific.
Next session, after the group talks for a bit, he's gonna show up and go ham on them in Angelic form

Mah anarch.

Ive joined a mage the ascent 20th anniversary game and id like help understanding Rotes if anyone can explain them to me

What are the downsides, if any, of pursuing immortality via shedding your mortal form and becoming goetia? How easy is it to do?

Also curious about the same but for ghosts and spirits.

I don't know what this question means. Why must you people be so vague sometimes! This is a thread about over a dozen game lines spanning two major versions and several editions. I can't memorize every term by name!

Why not just wiki the terms? The White Wolf wiki's pretty comprehensive about terminology.

>goetia
Aren't those just slightly more dangerous tulpa (thought constructs) basically?

Presumably the constraints of being an astral being, stuck in the astral. Not being human anymore, not having a body anymore.

We'll know more when the 2e core is out.

Goetia is a summoned aspect of your personality.
A representation you use to give from to give life to aspects of yourself to come to a better understanding of your mind.
They're chunks of your mind, you cannot become one any more than you can become your hand.

Also becoming a Spirit isn't really possible bar Archmastery.

Becoming a Ghost? Why would you want to do that? You lose your connection to the Supernal, merely manifesting Numena which hold similarities to your old Supernal powers. No attempt to become a Supernal Ghost has ever succeeded. The soul just doesn't want to stick to Ephemera.

>How easy is it to do?
Becoming Goetia? Archmastery.

Becoming a Spirit? Archmastery.

Becoming a Ghost? Very easy.

Heck, I could become a ghost right now.

Mage 2ed will never come out...lol fag

>Becoming a Spirit? Archmastery.
or the Scions of God legacy

Goetia is the new word for all Astral creatures now.

>You lose your connection to the Supernal, merely manifesting Numena which hold similarities to your old Supernal powers.
They have paradox. They just resemble numina.

Why bother when you can get Immortality through LIfe 3? Just cast a spell to age backwards, like those jellyfish, and have it on you half the time. If you want, you can accelerate it with Time.

Or just cast a spell to halt your aging at a certain age, then spend the dot of willpower to make it permanent.

>someone dispels it
>you Ark of the Covenant rapidly age into dust

Yeah, nah. The best immortality optiobs for the Awakened that leave life as a mortal human behind.

Nope. Because the spell isn't changing your age, the spell is giving you the characteristic of a species of jellyfish. If the spell comes off, you just age normally. If the spell is on, you age in reverse.

It's the same way you can cast a spell to turn metal into putty, reshape it, and when it turns back it doesn't spring back into shape.

Or just make a clone and move your soul into it.

Or just steal someone else's body.
I was amazed that something so horrendously EVIL was a Free Council Rote.

Evil is a strong word.
Utilitarian

Well, of course. Nothing says the Pentacle has to be right-handed, or the Seers have to be left-handed.

Although doing something that is so very harmful to a human life is certainly unusual for the Free Council.

they don't all care about (all) human life
plus there's a lot of brain dead people you could probably use

I'm pretty sure it was developed during the Nameless War when they were being hunted and exterminated.

Stealing someone else's body is an extreme but effective way of going to ground. It's basically a Mage version of a Demon's soul pact.

The Nameless War sounds like a terrible name for a war.

As someone who's actually studied regenerative biology, there are reasons why humans don't have those mechanisms. On a human, it would make you incredibly susceptible to things like death via blood loss.

Humans can't grow our limbs back because or biological mechanisms prioritize keeping the body as a whole alive. "Just give me regeneration like a planarian" wouldn't cut it.

It was a war between the Diamond(Adamantine Arrow, Guardians of the Veil, Silver Ladder, and Mysterium) and the Nameless Orders(which would eventually re-assemble under the name 'Council of Free Assemblies', aka the Free Council), because the Diamond used to think that any Willworker not in one of their Orders was a threat, or something along those lines.

Sure. But this is Mage, not Biologist. You can use the same rote to make your skin glow by copying a firefly, or shock people by copying an electric eel, or stick to walls by copying a spider, even though those are impossible.

Except that's science, not magic.
Don't try to apply scientific logic to magic, it's never going to work. Magic is symbolic, especially in Mage, where the Supernal literally symbolizes everything.

"I can just become immortal via Life 3 because jellyfish" is attempting an exploit via real-world science, at which point you're going to have to account for real-world science.

Just like how most of the Matter-related exploits are attempting to exploit real-world chemistry.

No there's a spell that lets you get an aspect of other life forms, reverse aging is an aspect of other life forms

You can't use science for a spell, and then be like 'but this ain't science' when that backfires on you.

And by supernal logic, functional permanent biological immortality isn't just Life 3 "apply a trait from another organism". That's trying to do it via science.

At which point you have to deal with the drawbacks of the scientific version.

So explain how you can use that same spell to give yourself poison fangs like a snake and not die. I'm listening.

Another fun hack is to use Matter in place of Forces. By transmuting materials into high explosives, you can kill things much more easily than with normal Matter.

Another fun one is to use Space to portal people into literal space. Or open a portal in the direction of the sun and fry vampires. Can you say save or die?

This is exactly why talking about mage is annoying.

>And by supernal logic, functional permanent biological immortality isn't just Life 3 "apply a trait from another organism". That's trying to do it via science.
Not really, it's just like the stop aging for yourself one, but only using it during days off when you're not adventuring and stuff. Reversing your age for a day is basically the same as not aging for a day. It's not immortality, but it adds up.

Except he's not literally turning himself into a Jellyfish, he's mimicking a trait.
It's as simple as changing the symbol in your pattern that says 'ages' to one that says 'reverse-ages' for a day. Regardless of the science behind it, you now age backwards, and it works.

Not in a game with any half-way intelligent ST.
But whatever works in your games, fine.

Yes, half-way intelligent ST's keep track of exactly how much you age per day in the game and do not allow any foolishness to alter that amount.

We all add up the days that passed from your characters' first game (and their exact age upon starting) and at the end of the game, we tell you how old your character is, and we write it on top of the character sheet in permanent marker and file it with the ST MENSA so everybody knows you didn't try to become immortal for a game that took place over the period of six months.

I half-way intelligent ST isn't going to try to apply regenerative biology to game about fucking magic. They're going to roll with what makes sense, because it's not about being realistic, it's about having fun.

By the logic you're trying to force on the game, nothing is possible, because there's no scientific way for a human being to sprout fangs, or turn into a wolf-hybrid, etc.

Now take your autism somewhere else, and stop thread-shitting.

Unless the game doesn't take place over six months. You know, the sort of situation that would lead a player to try to become immortal in the first place?

Absolutely. In the case of a game that spans 1000 years, we demand every player find the age of natural death for people of whatever culture their character came from, and they will never live longer than that. Then they must make entirely new characters.

We file the dead character sheets in with ST MENSA too, to make sure they know, and we know, and they know we know.

What the fuck, I've been running games for years, where's my ST MENSA membership?

Would Scanners be good inspo for Mage? Perhaps they're all Mastigos mages,fucking with each others' heads?

youtube.com/watch?v=FoIy7Y7H72Q

Interlocks aren't really Demon's Z-splat; Z-splats, going off all the examples we have(Bloodlines, Legacies, Lodges, Athanors, Kiths, any others I'm missing), are something there is at least some chance you share with someone else, either joining the group, coming from the same sort of background, or being shown how to craft the athanor. Interlocks, though? They're wholly unique, and no 2 Demons will have the same one.
Interlocks are just a unique homebrew power. Demon doesn't have a Z-splat.

Wouldn't it be Agencies? But like Geist OP decided to go 'lel make your own! Because reasons.'

Actually, yeah, I guess Agencies are the closest equivalent.
I always forget they exist.

I see Z-splats as being a kind of prestige class that grants access to specialized powers, so through that point of view I see them as being a Z-Splat, just one that's more personalized than Bloodlines/Lodges/Legacies/Athanors/Entitlements.

There's at least examples of Agencies, though. That's better than Geist, which has no real examples of Krewes whatsoever.

But that's because Krewes are so ephemeral and local, so there aren't any true examples. Isn't that quirky and unique? tee hee!

Except for your wrong your could not teleport other people with space in 1E. As Dave has mentioned in the last thread and I believe portals need the persons consent to go through.

>Make a big portal beneath someone leading to somewhere not that bad
>They don't know it's there and therefore don't consent to going through it
>They're left walking on air
>Even if they're a Sleepwalker/Proximi or another Mage

This is some disgusting applications of oWoD Disbelief

Hey thats what I recall being told by this thread about portals.

That's not how it works. SOMEONE has to be trying to send them through, such as by pushing them into it. They can't just get sucked through by pressure differences (like space, or the bottom of the ocean).

The important thing is, can gravity pull them through?

Not the guy whos saying that making a portal underneath someone will work.
I was saying I didn't.

Is there a time limit/downside to being in Crinos form in W:tA 20th Anniversary? Aside from the obvious social drawbacks, anyway.

Which nWoD game is best to make my fursona in?

Changeling.

In werewolf (or the mostly hated Shifters) you would be a human most of the time.

In changeling, you can be a furry, and while everyone else would see you as a weird human, you are actually that furry at all times, and see yourself like that in the mirror. Plus you can choose certain people to reveal your furry self to.

Changeling is best furry game.

Werewolf with the Father's Form gift for a Wolf, Changeling for anything else

I mean, the one Changeling game I was in was like 50/50 between drama and furry sex.

That sounds about right. Changeling is all sadness and drama (or pretending there is no sadness and drama). The furrysex is just because of the natural audience of WoD. I say this as a member of that audience.

>fursona

>furry sex.
Why do DMs allow this? I have heard of Magical Realm games but somehow I have always managed to avoid being in one

We were mature enough to have sexual relationships between our player characters? They were all fade to black.

If someone was going to bang my character, I would make them roll to seduce. They have to earn it!

im sorry but the term furry sex does not fill me with confidence.

>TFW my old group could have never been anywhere near this mature
>TFW they weren't even mature enough to let my guy have a relationship with a male npc
>TFW the only time any PC ever got into a relationship with an npc in our games, it was the same two people on either side, and it was never a happy relationship

Sometimes, I wonder why I didn't yell at them to just fuck already.

My character was the Cowardly Lion as a blustering veteran with serious survival guilt.

He was a handsome lion man and I enjoyed playing him very much.

There will probably be a bunch of weird side effects from that.

I mean, what is aging? In a symbolic way of thought it probably also includes stuff like growth and healing. So your character has to get older in order to recover from a wound, and reverse aging past a wound might make you suffer the penalties from that wound, even if it can't kill you.

>He was a handsome lion man and I enjoyed playing him very much.
I would enjoy playing werewolf a lot more if there wasnt so much furfaggotry.

My relationships in games...
>An arranged marriage one time
Not too much.
Though I have a player that has managed to date a totally-not-evil Tremere, and a hot werewolf man.

Another had the hots for the sister of another packs alpha, so you can imagine that went well.

Forever GM life, I remember being the waifus and husbandos more than I've had waifus and husbandos.

See, that's what gets my foot in the door! You have beefy wolf people killing things and you have neat mythology behind it all and the only hard part is all the fiddly spirit parts.

I just want to play legitimately awesome scary things.
Like when I think of werewolf I think of this song
youtube.com/watch?v=76Pq8sTFmvw
Depressing and confusing

I had a strange idea for a Bloodline that is inspired by, well, Twilight.

They're a Daeva Bloodline that dropped Celerity for Resilience. Their Bloodline Bane means that they start with their Humanity being one dot lower (Read: closer to their Beast.) than anyone else. Also if they fail to indulge in their Vice, then the Beast indulges it for them...Mechanically this is represented by a loss of Willpower and a Breaking point towards Beast.

What makes you say this is inspired by twilight?

Twilight vampires are pretty good tbqh its just that the books themselves are bad. In the books they are shown to be made out of a diamond like substance. Maybe using Resilience could make them shine like diamonds like they do in sunlight?

>fight giant spiders and killer machines
>dig rats out of the chests of gangbangers and hunt down vampires
>howl along the deranged horrordise that is the shadow as you bring down the city spirit so it knows its place
People have the weirdest wrongest ideas about werewolf.

Do Forsaken know they're the bad guys?