It's a "Game of thrones has spiffing armor but stupid helmets." episode

>It's a "Game of thrones has spiffing armor but stupid helmets." episode.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7o-bOMAKmlw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know much, but it seems like they'd want more neck protection.

Can't wait for this years rape complaints.
I like how Carl Drogo got a free pass on that.

more like rape of throenes, amirite?

>THose cheap looking helmets.
Oh baby.

they should use katanas.

Tbf those guards are Tyrell so probably dont do much fighting so it kind makes sense to have shitty but pleasant looking helmets that are semi useful
Its like half ceremonial because lets be honest if taht house is going to win something its with cunning rather than soldiers

anyway a lot of the soldiers dont have any helmets at all like the starks so they still have the advantage and are protected against gravel or small sticks and the like

Drogo rape happened before the series got popular, plus the SJW movement wasn't that big in 2011. Also no one likes Daenerys Eyebrowsborn

those helmets are perfectly functional.

>Its like half ceremonial because lets be honest if taht house is going to win something its with cunning rather than soldiers

Yeah, Tyrell cunny is worth an empire.

>those helmets are perfectly functional.

A sword to the top will stick in the grooves and force them further on to your head or snap your head to one side. The back could also do with sweeping slightly more to deflect blows to the back of the neck.

But they are armed with spears. You guys said yesterday that spears are like an impenetrable force field against swords because of superior reach or somebullshit. Make up your fucking mind.

A spear or sword will also fuck with the helmet

And if your facing off against spears you really want a visor

bait?
The rim undoes all the work the curved top top does in deflecting the blow and also just collects shit like stones if they are tossed around
I mean sure its a glancing hit but its extra cost for no gain
The face is left wide open which gives visibility to wearer but also removes defense
and then that little bit at the top over the top of the face points towards the face not away from it
And finally the sides of the helmet slope inwards to a point right above the ear which helps the opponent
Nothing is like a fatal mistake that makes wearing it suicidal but the whole rim crown thing just makes it worse than if they left it off

Not like the book didn't have dumb helmets.

Yeah, but the Mountain's like over 8 feet tall. Good luck slamming something on the top of his helmet.

>Anons post late medieval/renaissence intensive work armor as example for standard armor in a setting with a lower technological level.

ASOIAF is based off the War of the Roses. It in fact started as WOTR fanfiction, which is exactly when these types of armors were used.

nigga it was just a good example of a helmet that is smooth
i unfortunately dont have an exact image or that helmet without the silly rim thing
and i never said they should have that helmet
i half added it cos it looks nice

ASOIAF is based on the magical realm pulp of a fat bastard that became a mainstream product. Nothin more. Nothing else.

in that case we can have whatever fucking helmet we want senpai

Open face, still good protection of the face neck and shoulders due to the ridges and angles of the helm.

>Its not GoT being retarded OP....

>nothing protecting the face
>barely any rim flair near the neck
>do you SEE that fucking ridge at the top?!
Serious that fucking ornamental ridge has a slop leading right to it and not only is it this fuck you ridge it has lots of little divets and bits leading down to sword catching area's. One swing and your damn neck is breaking.

>>nothing protecting the face
>Romans
>Spaniards
>British
>Nazis
>USA

Every succesful empire made their troop show their faces. Checkmate.

>Spaniards
>British
>Nazis
>USA
These are in the age of firearms, where melée combat is pretty much irrelevant (massed pike don't count, you don't poke those long-ass sticks at somebody's "weak point" or anything)

The romans relied on big-ass shields, which knights did not (wouldn't work on horseback) - meaning they needed closed face helmets

Taking this as an arms and armors general, what are good examples of articulated chestpieces if they ever were a thing? Could the chestplate interlock over the abdominal plate?

Reading the World of Ice and Fire has led to some amusing revelations about the setting, namely that the stereotypes of each Great House are barely accurate at all and only really fit the last 20 years.
The last three Lannisters before Tywin have been either complete idiots or average, and the last two Stark's were ambitious and political and massive hotheads for example. Hell, Balon Greyjoy's father was a hugely reasonable guy.

I guess it's easy to forget that since the lord's word is effectively law that the ENTIRE HOUSE changed to match his personality and whims.

if they didn't have the stupid fucking crown those would be at least acceptable, despite the weird shape

But he didn't? I saw a lot of think pieces about how shitty a revision it was that they changed a consensual sex scene to a rape one (although the original was still technically statutory rape).

Same as with the Lannisters. They inserted rape for rapes sake.

What the hell is that all about? It looks like he's wearing a hollow metal cabbage.

>Same as with the Lannisters. They inserted rape for rapes sake.
When was that? I just remember Joffery stringing up a whore then using her for target practice.

Speaking of armour and the War of the Roses. Apparently, Toby Capwell is (finally) publishing his book on specifically English armour.

This book doesn't cover the War of the Roses period (the decades before it, rather), but his next book will, though.

Last season I think. When Jaime raped Cersei next to Joffrey's corpse in the Cathedral. In the book it was more like "Naw man, this is kinda wrong", but in the series it was full on rape.

What? I remember them fucking a cathedral in the book but I don't remember any sex at all at Joffery's funeral.

>Durrr I can't beat muh weepee if I don't have historical realism in a fantasy series >:(((((((

Why not complain about the fact they have full plate but no guns while you're at it? Or that peasants in this setting have horrible lives, or that people actually care about a King having legitimate heirs? Or people taking serious wounds like losing a hand and living more than two weeks?

The reason it's not super-realistic is because literally nobody but people who whine about anything cares about that if it's not important to the story. It's like black science man whining about Gravity's physics when not a single other person on this planet cares.

and hungarian pavise shields held upside-down...

Shitting hell really? I've been waiting ...christ it must be nearly decade for this damn thing.

Jamie fucks her on the coffin, IIRC, in the book.

Matt Easton's got a word or two to say in it's favour.
youtube.com/watch?v=7o-bOMAKmlw

>melee irrelevant for the Spaniards
>what is a rodelero

>Nazis
>successful empire

We're way off our game today.

>Toby Capwell is (finally) publishing his book

Its been out for more than 6 months.

and its good. really, really damn good.

part 2 is due end of this year or early next year.

You dont want restricted vision in a melee youre thinking in terms of AC not what is actually effective and practical.

Youre going to be far more effective with your vision unimpeded.

Loras
>he
top kek

that is tournament armour, it's made to look good

Even the standard munitions type helms were better than that. Sallets are cheap and incredibly effective, which is why modern helms are based off them.

>Spaniards
>irrelevant melee
Literally every soldier of the Tercio had to know how to use the sword, and every Tercio had units composed of men with swords and shields to engage the enemie pikes in close combat.

>Knights
>standard troops

Nigga u wot. Standard helmets for militia forces, the backbone of High Middle Age armies, was kettle helms, bascinets without visors, and sallets later on.

I really hate the armor in GoT. It always looks too cheap.

That said, the season starts now.