What cultures are underrepresented in the world of roleplaying games?

What cultures are underrepresented in the world of roleplaying games?

Yogurt.

First post best post

Honestly I've never really seen much outside of your medieval Europe, weaboo East or pure Fantasy whatever. At this point I assume pretty much every culture has some support out there but I haven't seen it.

If I had to choose something different for my next campaign I'd probs go for some sort of offbeat fantasy or scifi Western. I saw Bone Tomahawk, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit recently so I've got a hankering for something more.

Slavic 1500s.

Ravenloft has a number of realms based on that

Cultures of powergaming minmaxers who deliberately have as little story or fluff as possible, and cultures of rules lawyers who think GM fiat is literally satan and praise RAW as God.

Gamer culture

What's gamer culture?

As in your virtual mans enjoy playing games with each-other for sport or recreation?

>and cultures of rules lawyers who think GM fiat is literally satan and praise RAW as God.

The God-learners are a thing in Glorthana.

"Hey, You! Go kill 12 rats, I'll give you 250gp"
>Yo, what's the backstory and motivation here? What have the rats done, what do you gain from clearing them, is there some alternate solution?
"Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy. I'm giving you a quest fucknugget. Kill 12 rats, 250gp, no story bullshit"

>north africa/sahara. Bedouin nomads, Timbuktu, Moroccan bazaars, strange ruins under the sand dunes...
>inca, south america. Cities in the cloud-covered mountains, ritualized human sacrifice, jungles in the lowlands filled with fearsome tribes, alpacas everywhere
>inuit. Or lapp, or other arctic cultures. SNOW, ICE, COLD. Lots of wildernessy stuff, nomadic, nights that last for months, aurora borealis.
>biblical-style holy land. Roman occupiers, prophecies and false-messiahs everywhere, monotheism in conflict with pagan gods, warring tribes who all think each other are heretics.

Planar culture.

modern culture. aka social media posting, selfies, and shitposting. In addition to anxiety and the search for meaning in a more obtrusive and complex world.

Out of those only inuits are something I haven't seen anywhere. Also would argue that mayaincatec isn't rare at all.

's fair. They're less 'never seen' and more 'kinda rare'.
That said, everybody goes aztec with their south american cultures - the inca were actually pretty different.

>the inca were actually pretty different

Tell me about it, Kuzco.

The Incas had to deal with Lich kings and -nobles that controlled increasingly larger parts of the realm through their mediums while the Aztecs apparently were in the process of dealing with their paramilitary merchant-class' success undermining the mandatory military service ideal their society was constructed around.

>mage the ascension

Mage the Ascension has social media posting, selfies, and shitposting?

Pretty sure it could easily include those, yes. But most wod games set in the present day could.

You can put anything you want to in a campaign, but that doesn't mean that thing is represented in the game, just the campaign. I do suppose Mage may be about the anxiety and the search for meaning in a more obtrusive and complex world, though.

White European.

Yogurt isn't a culture. It's a multicutural blend of three seperate and destinct communities.

Norse.
No not Skyrim nords or Viking-metal fanboys.
ACTUAL norse culture.

What Lingua Franca does yogurt employ?

All of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia.
Hawaii gets a bit better then the rest likely due to America but still this massive region of thousands of cultures and identities tends to get slapped with the same brush if they are not outright ignored.

Also Native Australian cultures.
The only representation they ever get outside of their own media is the odd, off-hand allusion in other Australian productions.

And I think X-Men had an Aboriginal character at one point who suffered from no one doing even the slightest research.

Lojban, unfortunately.

HGT Horizontal Gene Transfer on the most part.

>Multiple religions based on various approaches to playing RPGs
>The Rules Lawyers
>The Min-Maxers
>The Hardcore Narrativists
>The Hardcore Simulationists
>The Fluff Brigade
>The Casuals
>That Guys

Australia.

Although its pretty well represented on Veeky Forums

Central Asia. Not China or Japan, central Asia.

I don't think you know what "culture" means.

Turks and Tartars are pretty common.

So it is a language of genes, not of memes.

I fucking hate hardcore refluffers

>I know in my character sheet says full plate armored, greatsword wielding paladin, but imagine my character being an unarmored, unarmed monk... of course you can't disarm me because I "don't" have weapons
>I know technology doesn't exist in this medieval fantasy game, but imagine my gnome sorcerer being actually a gnome artificer with laser cannons, jet packs, night vision googles, etc instead of spells...of course nobody can't know what I cast because technology, and nobody can steal my wands because they're actually laser cannons and they don't know how to use the because technology

>research.

I gather they have editors to prevent that from happening.

I don't think I've ever seen a Caananite culture in any roleplaying setting.

Nah That Guy would be an alliance, like the Axis in WWII. Led by Rules Lawyers and Min-Maxers, with small portions of all other nations.

>The Weird Roll20 World of Darkness guys

>And I think X-Men had an Aboriginal character at one point who suffered from no one doing even the slightest research.
His name was Gateway, he rarely spoke, and his mutant power was spinning a cord that caused a teleportation portal to appear.

The Jubilee introduction arc was great.

It's called Unreal World, user.

>No Optimizers
>No Powergamers
That's racist

To be honest, even actual period-accurate medieval fantasy is incredibly rare. Most of it draws from so many time periods that it ends up being incredibly anachronistic, and then they slap modern morals onto the world's social politics and pretend it's still medieval because they have a king. I got nothing wrong with doing something that doesn't resemble history, but I hate when they then act like it does.

Hell, even if we say "European fantasy is overdone!" you have to realise that what we really mean is that medieval france/england approximant settings are overdone. Hardly any "European Fantasy" is based on eastern Europe.

If we stay in periods with swords and stuff but move around the world, you see very little fantasy based on India, Mesoamerica, Italy, Mongolia, proper Nordic states, Byzantium, Africa, or literally anywhere that isn't fucking England or France.

While we're at it, bronze age fantasy isn't particularly common, neither is anything outside early medieval -> victorian eras. Sure, they happen, but they're rare, and often not written in english.

GURPS Russia, Mythic Russia, Bylinas and Bogaytrs
>north africa/sahara. Bedouin nomads, Timbuktu, Moroccan bazaars, strange ruins under the sand dunes...
Legend of the Burning Sands, Spears of the Dawn, Nyambe
>inca, south america. Cities in the cloud-covered mountains, ritualized human sacrifice, jungles in the lowlands filled with fearsome tribes, alpacas everywhere
GURPS Aztecs, New Fire: Temikamatl, Empire of the Petal Throne
>inuit. Or lapp, or other arctic cultures. SNOW, ICE, COLD. Lots of wildernessy stuff, nomadic, nights that last for months, aurora borealis.
Angakkuit, the RPG, from Abstract Nova
>biblical-style holy land. Roman occupiers, prophecies and false-messiahs everywhere, monotheism in conflict with pagan gods, warring tribes who all think each other are heretics.
Testament, the RPG
Fates Worse Than Death RPG, FreeMarket, Eclipse Phase
Sagas of the Icelanders, Yggdrasil, Fate of the Norns, GURPS Vikings
>All of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia.
Mythos of the Maori
>Central Asia. Not China or Japan, central Asia.
Red Tide/Scarlet Heroes.
Testament, the RPG.

You're not original. Nobody is, anymore. If you can think about a culture, it's 99% odds someone else already has, and made an RPG about it.

The Manx. So much folklore on a little island that would make for a great RPG.

>GAMER
>CULTURE

Pick one

I still wonder when they will make an Indian game.
And speaking about Indians - what about Native Americans?
Aborigines, anyone? Honestly, for that matter, Australia as a setting.

Nobody said never done. The question was about which are "underrepresented." You gave good examples, but they're for the most part a bunch of obscure or little played games.

Maybe I'm just biased because I've wanted to run a GURPS Aztecs or Sagas of the Icelanders game for my group for a long time, but they want fantasy medieval Europe.

>Australia as a setting.
Rifts, TMNT, Cthulhu and OWoD all had settings based on Australia

Umm... user, that's just a power gamer trying to cheat.

>What cultures are UNDERREPRESENTED in the world of roleplaying games
This is a thread for cultures that are extremely rare, not a dick waving contest to see who can make a game off of a culture that's never been done before

I'd like to see some stuff inspired from sub saharan countries, they got some rad aesthetics going on.

Cthulhu in Australia? Pics or didn't happen. The rest is too fucking "universal" to even count, it's like saying "GURPS did that already"

user, we are already sinking under Germanic, Celtic and Britton folklore, so save us more of the same.

>Cthulhu in Australia
>Steven Irwin attempting to put his head in the mouth of a shoggoth and get out unscratched

Not the user, but the point here was probably about Australia as a setting in it's own game, not "game X had Australia down under"

>Hardly any "European Fantasy" is based on eastern Europe.
Good.

"Oi'm creeping up on this rare Oz Shoggoth. Now I gots to be coiful or else this lovely creature will start making an 'orrible tekeli-li sound and froi moi brains out."

Touareg

>Hardly any "European Fantasy" is based on eastern Europe.
As a Pole I'm laughing at your claim.

We've got shitload of stuff set and/or based on eastern Europe. The thing is - most of it is utter crap

I wish I could run something like Spears of the Dawn for my group. Maybe I'd even settle for part of Europe that we don't see every single time. Maybe Eastern European mythology, or something Greek.

Instead it's always some amalgamation of England, France, and Germany.

>Canadian

If you are a GM and still running the same shit all the time - it's your own god-damn fault, you stupid cunt.
If you are a player and never verbalise your desires to the GM and/or rest of the group - it's your own god-damn fault, you stupid cunt.

Either way - you are a stupid cunt for not playing what you actually want to play. And I'm sick and tired with people like you when I'm GM or just playing - because they are always out of focus, thinking about the game they could be playing instead playing the one that is at the table. Don't like it, don't play it, but save me your half-conscious presence.

>Eau de tuareg

Too many games to count. Even from the native point of view

I still want to know who drew this.

Conquistador or medieval Spain rpg

I've always wanted to run either a bronze age game that deals with the destruction of the Minoan's and the the beginning of Mycenaean Greece, or Islamic conquest with the players being the defending party (either the Persian Empire or India).

So many assumptions, and so angry. Sorry you have to project so much about your terrible group.

Wasn't old Maztica setting all about this?

Aren't ALL of those religions That Guys?

Or are we talkin' That Guys as in fetish lords with their magical realms

Or That Guys that constantly interrupt combat to talk on their phones and who eat shared food but don't buy it

I'm a "GM for hire" in local youth centre and then doing shifts in sci-fi club. And all kinds of players are fun and dandy, as long as they know what the fuck they want to play.
Didn't voice your idea, but still doing the whining? The doors are out there. I'm sick and tired of people that will never say a fucking word about what they want, but will complain anyway.

>Being this tier retarded

I get the joke of 'culture'. Everyone got it.
Thing is 'Yogurt Culture' is not factually correct. Yogurt is made up of Lactobacillus culture, Streptococcus culture and often a variety of bifidobacteria.
Thus my further joke of yogurt being multicultural.

Do you follow now?

Byzantine culture.

Incredibly ancient, mega city capital of an empire, tons of internal factions vying for power, backstabbing and intrigue galore.

Lots of games seem to take an element here or there but few just aim for that historical period specifically.

>You're not original. Nobody is, anymore. If you can think about a culture, it's 99% odds someone else already has, and made an RPG about it

Not to mention how hard you've missed the point

By extension, ottoman culture as well.

underrated post.

Agriculture

it was all fun and games until the Yithians got him

3rd edition Unknown Armies looks to be shaping up into this.

Check Aquelarre, the spanish RPG about hunting jewish witches in the peninusla during the reconquista.

is Testament any good?

"Any" is a pretty broad term. Is it "any" good? Yes. Is it "very" good, or even "above average"? Not in my opinion.

Straight white non-tranny men.

>Addiction (heavy): Snacks
>Addiction (heavy): Soda
>Profession (apprentice): Video Editing (Specialization: fragmovies)

Something that always bugs me about maps like this is, where does the water go?

/pol/, the RPG?

Everything east of Vienna.

It turns into rain.
What falls from below comes from above.
Think with portals, user.

TVTropes magick school a best.

Gangsta rap. Or even just hip-hop in general. I want Duel of Wits-esque rules for rap battles and shit.

I still think there ought to be an Adept School about the phenomenon of forsaking real life physical and emotional pleasures in favor of the perfection of 2D, waifus or video games. This behavior has some both some bizarrely spiritualist symbolic undertones and the people who engage in it are as cultish as they are broken. It's too perfect not to be in Unknown Armies. You get a minor charge by playing dating sims for so long that you hurt yourself through deprivation (not drinking, sleeping or pissing enough), which can be mystically seen as a sacrifice or as an act of spiritual purification (by ignoring the needs of the 3D body), and a Significant Charge by refusing the advances of an attractive member of your preferred sex, freely made, in favor of your 2D "waifu". Again, the symbolism here calls out to ancient monks and priests who forsake the needs of the flesh because they are spiritually wed to God or something like that. 2D characters are the pagan idols of the 21st century.

Don't know about too many Formula Spells, but I can see two: "Stat Vision" is a type of divination that shows you information about a person (who must be attractive and of your preferred sex) in the form of dating sim-like data floating around them, and "Dialog Choice", which walks you through a conversation using speech options floating in front of your eyes (translating into a shift for social skills).

Their Significant Blast should be called "Bad Ending" and cause a person's loved one to injure them the next time they meet (either by coincidence or out of anger or jealousy or something).

No, see, when those people are That Guy it's because they're in the wrong group. They'd be fine in a game where everyone was min maxing and the gm was trying to kill them. Or in a game where no one cares if combat stops for 10 minutes to look up how the rules handle the situation because they all care about playing the game correctly. Hell, even an evil game where backstabbing is expected and everyone is on board with it.
No, these are the True That Guys. The ones who will want to play a medieval knight in your space game, but then once you play a game in medieval fantasy they want to play a space robot. The guys who must be contrarian and can only get joy out of causing problems for the rest of the group and being a special case.

Unless I remember it totally wrong (been years since I read it), Shadow Out of Time takes place in Australia and it's a fucking Lovecraft original.

This may not be the best website or board to post these ideas on

wouldn't happen to live in Toronto?

Ruins in the Outback
and giant hex-tiles covering them if I'm not mistaken.

There are Bleakniks in Planescape, who wrap about the pointlessness of everything.