Ryukuza Quest: Protector of Smiles and Youkai Hunter

Stage 120: The Price and the Cost of Secrets.

Being the chosen executor of Amaterasu-Omikami's will to destroy important pats of Japan is not something you really wanted. Being a (mostly) moral and (fairly) kind hearted individual, you can see how someone who is going to do the job while doing the least amount of harm is at a disadvantage compared to someone who will just get the job done and damn the consequences. But that would make you more like Susano-Oh, and that guy is a dick.

More importantly, it has a tendency to lead people such as, oh, Ryuu Shinju to presume that you're a pushover. You've done a lot less killing and a lot more intimidation recently, though you did manage to impress one of the Twin Generals of Clan Ryo. The people you have killed, you have killed in secret, so most people aren't actually aware of how dangerous you are any longer. You're young and gaining power quickly, but you've only demonstrated that power to a select few. That makes this particular situation very dicey.

Ryuu Shinju is one of the three overseers of Clan Ryo, all of whom report to the spy master Himeyuri. She is a spirit-child born of a dodomeki youkai, the hundred-eye demons that see all and whisper secrets to cause trouble. It makes her immune to the power of elemental eyes of other spirit-children, while allowing her to see and be aware of everything hidden from even those potent visions. It's a little unfortunate because she's seen what Amaterasu-Omikami has written upon your cheeks. While Oh-sama might be aware of that as well, she's also aware that you have power not even the kami are allowed – the ability to direct true lightning from the clouds. She's smart enough to be very aware of what betraying your secrets means.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/46814550/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/37879167/
pastebin.com/Z53TyK0N
pastebin.com/rZLwzvGx
yokai.com/dodomeki/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shinju has no such compunction, but she has a secret of her own – you might be the only person who has guessed at her true lineage, which means you are aware that she holds many more secrets than anyone should or anyone else is aware of. That she has so many secrets and isn't dead already suggests that she knows when to keep her mouth shut. At the same time, she's been preparing some kind of potion, concoction, or spell while you've been having tea with her. The threat of revealing how much she might know was enough to make her seriously consider a fight with you, despite the fact that she knows you are immortal (thank you, dear wife!) and that your power is balanced enough that you're a serious threat even though you are not wholly a demigod yet.

The fact that you and she are sitting in the garden area of Mikimoto Pearl Island a little after noon while the blissfully ignorant humans wander the walkways just beyond the trees and flowers of the garden is most likely planned on her part, but it doesn't mean that either one of you wouldn't be able to erect a Barrier instantly. Perhaps she was counting on you being reasonable, which is a fair assessment. You like being reasonable, it's a lot less bloody and it's hard to being the dead back to life. On the other hand, she holds a secret that could set Oba-san off and cause you a lot more trouble much sooner than you want.

She remains still, watching you with those piercing eyes of hers as she rests one hand on the cup of half-tea and half-tears, her steel-vaned fan closed and resting on her lap in one hand. You are seated more casually and unarmed, which would be a disadvantage for anyone but a Water dragonette. Shinju is undoubtedly aware of your left arm's unusual nature, and catching her by surprise with speed is most likely impossible.

Of course, that ability of hers also means she's been aware of Oba-san's true nature right from the start. How deeply involved in the snake priestess' plans is she? Does she fear Oba-san, or serve her willingly? Hard questions, with important answers.

[] Break the tension by drinking tea and admitting you'll trust her.
[] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.
[] Ask her when the last time she fought was instead of using secrets against someone.
[] Find out if she spoke to Oh-sama after the Twin Generals retreated.
[] Take a small test of her prowess by launching a simple but effective strike or two.

Twitter: @XsQuestmistress

Previous Thread: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/46814550/

Interlude: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/37879167/

Threads in Chronological Order, including writeups by XS : pastebin.com/Z53TyK0N
or search for Title: Ryukuza on Suptg

Barrier Combat Guide: pastebin.com/rZLwzvGx

>Ryukusa's Treasures

Her name: Ryuu Yorihokura

Eight hundred and sixty-two cat youkai live in your aura

Matagama-no-Shitoki, a kami in it's own right that protects Ryukusa from inimical magic.

Ame-no-Omukade-no-Musume – Ryukusa's mukade possessed wakizashi; a kami. “Daughter of my Centipede of Rain.”

Gendai-no-Muteki-no-Buki - Invincible Weapon of the Present Age, a secret kami-blade given to Ryukusa by Wakaba that appears to be made of some alloy of titanium.

Seido no Shinpi-tekina Ken – a mysterious bronze sword given to Ryukusa by the mermaids of Japan.

Go Yūrei no Rensa, the Five-Ghost-Chain, used to summon or send messages to your older sister Ryuu Nabiki.

Ryukusa's Family.

>Talismans:
Akari – Centipede
Er Yin – Scorpion
Kiki – Toad
Kiku – Lizard
Yui – Snake

Ryu Ryukusa is tall at 5' 8", but this becomes 6' in her true form. She is fully grown. Lesbian top.
Kiku is 5' 1" for ever and ever. Lesbian submissive.
Akari is 5' 3", and has another few inches to grow. Sexuality is weird, switch, cosplayer.
Yui is 5' 8" and will only grow due to circumstances beyond her control. Dyke, switch.
Kiki is 5' 6", and is at full growth. Bisexual bottom.
Er Yin is the tallest at 5' 10" and is fully grown. Lesbian dominant.
Jinyuu is 5' 7" but persistently hovers an extra three inches above the ground or floor because of her nature as a seer. Straight.
Hinata-hakase is 6' 3". Sexuality is terrifying.
Hidesato is 5' 5". Straight.
Kushinada is 5' 8". Straighter.
Taisho Ryoga is 5' 9". Who knows.
Hyun Chisato is 5' 4”, and is fully grown. Lolicon with plausible deniability.
Rie is 8” tall or 5' 5”, and is fully cat. Her sexuality is cat.
Hagyu Genso is 12' 5” standing upright. He is by and large gay.
Mizumi Shoko is 7' 2”, is fully grown. Bisexual top.
Yuuhi is 4'11” and is fully grown. Yuuhi a cute.
Tokei Isusangi, Inau-kun is 5' 3” and still confused.
Reiha is 5' 5 1/2”, and is milfy.
Peta is 3' 2”. Peta is \>.

>[] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.
>[] Find out if she spoke to Oh-sama after the Twin Generals retreated.
I wonder if Oba-san knows her true nature. If not, how would she even explain how she knows what she does? Maybe we should ask her about that.

>[] Break the tension by drinking tea and admitting you'll trust her.

[] Find out if she spoke to Oh-sama after the Twin Generals retreated.
[] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.
[] Ask her when the last time she fought was instead of using secrets against someone.

Ryukuza Quest! Fuck yeah!

Hi XS! How are you?

>Sincerely apologise for your aggressive attitude, and ask her if she'd be willing to stop preparing for a clash so that the both of you can have a calm, truthful chat.

Important: clash, not fight.

>Ask her why do she think the Twin Retreated

>[] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-state's plan.
>Ask her if she's aware of Oba-shit's state

All need to be said.

No need to antagonise her even more, but we need to put things on the table.

*Oba-shit's plan

I'm late for Ryukusa!
>[x] Find out if she spoke to Oh-sama after the Twin Generals retreated.
>[x] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.

>[] Break the tension by drinking tea and admitting you'll trust her.
>[] Ask her when the last time she fought was instead of using secrets against someone.

>[X] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.

I don't think it's safe to say that we'll trust her yet.

>[X] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.
>Dont back off that will make her think she has won the game.

Having people think they have won make them more receptive, though

It's a MAD kind of trust!

It's more "I would be willing in the future to trust you" I think.

But we can't be blunt here, that would imply we're not good enough to do the horizontal diplomacy with her.

>horizontal diplomacy

Ryukusa does a lot of this with her wives

Ryukusa's comment several threads earlier suggests that while she might think Shinju is beautiful, and she might like Shinju's voice, Shinju's personality, mind, or both are definitely not attractive.

Somehow I doubt user was suggesting THAT kind of horizontal diplomacy with Shinju!

Water diplomacy, I meant. Water spreads out and covers everything and then everyone's all wet.

Weren't those thoughts about Himeyuri?

It was Himeyuri's voice she found hot.

Nah, it wasn't Shinju.

Also, she was just joking about how Himeyuri's voice was pure sex, her physical beauty wasn't as great.

[XXX] Probe carefully by asking her what she thinks of Oba-san's plan.
[XX] Find out if she spoke to Oh-sama after the Twin Generals retreated.
[X] Break the tension by drinking tea and ~not~ admitting you'll trust her.
[X] Ask her when the last time she fought was instead of using secrets against someone.
[+] A sincere apology and set your differences aside for the sake of peace and prosperity in all the land. Well, okay, this garden.

You lower your eyes first, unconcerned that she might try and attack you by surprise. She hasn't survived this long by being foolish. You slowly fill your teacup and sip from it, well aware that the tension isn't going to be broken by any action outside of of talking or a fight. “Tell me, did you speak to the Warlord Twins after they fled the island? I doubt you've been waiting on me this entire time.” You set the cup down, and she continues to stare at you. Not unexpected. Neither of you are so incautious as to let your guard down at such a critical point!

She does pick up the teapot, however, and slowly pour herself a full cup. It is interesting that as she does so, the strange liquid in her teacup increases, flowing up the stream of tea and into the pot, several ounces mixing into the strong tea. Subtle and dangerous. It's not impossible to poison a Water dragonette, only very difficult. It could also be a spell or potion of some sort. It's something to be aware of.

“I did not meet with them after, no, Ryukusa-sama. They were well on their way home by the time I arrived. You have been a very busy little dragon,” she comments slipping back into her garrulous exposition. Interesting that she's being so polite. Shinju is still very much on guard however. “I imagine they will have to make some difficult decisions after their defeat.” Well, she was here before they left, contrary to what she just said – unless she saw them in passing. Hmn. Hard to say, but that's pretty likely given her strange abilities.

>I will never hear Himeyuri's sex-voice.
Shit.

You lean more heavily on your arm as it rests on your elbow and let your tail lash lazily and very slowly. “So what do you think of the Oba's plans so far, Shinju-sama? I'm certain that you you've learned quite a bit more than anyone else has, and I'm even more certain that you've learned about her ultimate goals.” She's not buying the 'relaxed attitude' for an instant, even as she slowly lifts her tea and sips it one handed, adding more of the strange fluid to her cup. Maneuvering for position even now, just as expected of an intelligence operative.

“That,” she says calmly, “would be telling, which is what brought us to this impasse in the first place, Ryukusa-sama.”

You incline your head and sip your tea, locking gazes with her once more. “In that case, allow me to point out something you may not have considered.” That gains her attention. Well, focuses it differently, anyways. “This last move of hers was more than an attempt on me. I suspect, and I say this with all the intellectual prowess of a Water dragonette, that there are at least three other people she could have taken in aside from myself for use in whatever nefarious plans she is crafting.” Not even a twitch. “That at least one of those people can be counted among my family hints at the possibility of an exchange of hostages – them for my presence – being utterly pointless.” Still no reaction. “If she could possess, for instance, someone capable of defeating me, that would achieve her long range goal as easily as possessing me would.” No reaction still.

Damn. She's either tacitly supporting or refusing to get involved, but she's perfectly aware of what is going on in either case.

You narrow your eyes and study her carefully. “When was the last time you actually engaged in physical conflict, Shinju-sama?”

That only seems to take her aback. Her feigned surprise would have fooled almost everyone else. “I am very well trained, Ryukusa-sama, but I personally prefer to avoid conflict altogether. I lack a great many of the offensive capabilities of my brothers and sisters in the clan, so I must make do with ensuring that those who try to escalate a conflict find it is in their best interests not to. In your case, I do not really have anything to truly threaten you with just yet that you would be willing to let me walk away with....isn't that right?”

[] Well, that may be the case, but it may not be the case.
[] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.
[] Sorry for being so antagonistic! You're right, I did overstep.
[] Is it a lack, or are they simply more subtle?
[] Still, you didn't really answer my question....trade for the knowledge you already have is fair!

>Meg Tilly's voice in in "Bound".

>[X] Is it a lack, or are they simply more subtle?
>[X] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.

>[] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.
>[] Is it a lack, or are they simply more subtle?
>[] Still, you didn't really answer my question....trade for the knowledge you already have is fair!

So worst case scenario, what happens if Oba-san knows of what's written on our cheeks?

>[x] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.

>[] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.

I will take your tip with gratitude!

>[] Well, that may be the case, but it may not be the case.
>[] Still, you didn't really answer my question....trade for the knowledge you already have is fair!
Shinju please, don't hold out on a poor, put-upon almost-demigoddess!

>I apologize for having been so aggressive.

>Ask about the water youkai you had to fight. Shinju seems very knowledgeable about the different kind of oceanic youkai, and changing subject for a bit would be nice

We have to turn the tide of the conversation for a short while, and maybe we can get her to reveal some interesting info.

Note: "agressive" isn't the same as "antagonistic".

She's the one who started antagonizing us

What good taste!

She realizes that her grand plan pits her directly against Amaterasu's wishes. I don't know what that would mean exactly.

[] Well, that may be the case, but it may not be the case.
[] Is it a lack, or are they simply more subtle?
[] Still, you didn't really answer my question....trade for the knowledge you already have is fair!
[] Sorry for being so antagonistic! You're right, I did overstep.
[] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.

It would mean that she would probably move against Amaterasu if she felt she could get away with it.

>Dodomeki are cursed women with very long arms covered in tiny bird eyes. They were once human girls who developed a penchant for stealing money. Because of their wicked actions, one day hundreds of tiny bird eyeballs sprout out of their arms and they transform into this monster.

yokai.com/dodomeki/

That's awesome. brb robbing fort knox

If I remember correctly the eyes thing was actually part of a pun

[XXX] If you'll recall, I asked if it was worth your life to know, not if you were willing to die for it.
[X] Well, that may be the case, but it may not be the case.
[XX] Is it a lack, or are they simply more subtle?
[X] Still, you didn't really answer my question....trade for the knowledge you already have is fair!

“That wasn't really what I said, you know.” The hesitation is minute, but nothing compared to her other tells. Before she starts giving in to her need to monologue, you continue. “I asked you if what you were learning was worth your life. I never said anything about whether or not I'd let you live for knowing it.” Her eyes narrow and her grip on her cup tightens; there is no longer any tea in her cup at all, only that strange tear-like saline liquid. “After all, that piece of knowledge isn't exactly something anyone could learn easily, and the ability to learn it would be questioned very hard, and possibly lead to answers that might get you killed for something completely unrelated.”

This is really spurious logic; after all, you learned about her talent after you made the threat, but that doesn't mean what you are saying isn't true.

“The fact that Amaterasu-Omikami has come to me in person isn't really worth killing over, to be honest. I am sure that there are others who could claim something similar. It probably happens all the time to demigods. But knowing she approves of me as Horobi....that would be worth looking into by Oba-san. But when she asks how you learned this particular piece of knowledge....how would she react?”

There it is! That made her hesitate, really worry for the briefest of instants. She knows what Oba-san is all about, but doesn't trust Oba-san with her power. Himeyuri probably knows, but she might not know the depth to which it extends.

Yup

Pouring yourself and her more tea, you set the teapot down and pick up your contaminated cup. “I doubt that you lack all offensive capabilities, Shinju-sama. It might be subtle, rather than overt, but I doubt someone as skilled as you are has no power that isn't dangerous in some way. Dodomeki aren't particularly aggressive, but they are dangerous, after all.” You start to raise your cup, but true to her previously displayed skill, she give no indication that the cup of tea is anything interesting outside of how much closer to her it brings your hand.

Whatever else you might think of her, she's really quite skilled.

Lowering the cup as 'something occurs to you suddenly' she again gives no reaction at all. “Besides, you didn't answer my question, you know. You do owe me for the knowledge you've already gained: what DO you think of the Oba's plans? They could disrupt Clan Ryo as much as they give her what she wants. I don't really see her staying on as the leader of Clan Ryo after she ascends to stolen godhood, do you?” A flash of guilty consternation; she doesn't like that fact either. Another thought occurs to you. “She's going to need retainers and servants in her new heaven too. I don't suppose you were one of those, were you? Himeyuri would be, without a doubt....but as skilled as you are, you kept your secret too well perhaps....” THAT hurts; her eyes flash angrily and she looks at you seriously.

[] Apologize now.
[] Redirect the conversation.
[] Let her think on that.
[] Give her your pardon.
[] Sympathize with her.

[x] Apologize now.
[x] Redirect the conversation.

>[] Apologize now.

>[] Sympathize with her.

>[] Apologize now.
>[] Sympathize with her.

[] Apologize now.
[] Sympathize with her.
Hey, some pretty harsh prospects for her if so.

>[X] Let her think on that.

>[] Apologize now.

>[] Apologize now.
>[] Sympathize with her.

[] Apologize now.
[] Sympathize with her.
[] It's disappointing, really. If Oba-san had done things just a tiny bit differently, all of this would have so much less difficult.

>dat pic

oh my~

>[] Apologize now.
>[] Sympathize with her.

>[] Redirect the conversation.

[] Apologize now.
[] Sympathize with her.
>[] It's disappointing, really. If Oba-san had done things just a tiny bit differently, all of this would have so much less difficult.

>tiny bit

That's wrong, though

Unless you mean, if she killed us before

Adding to my vote here >ask her what she wants, both from this conversation, and in general

Seconding this point. I think we can make something out of this, even if not exactly an ally someone we can negotiate with.

It's a figure of speech. Ultimately, it would require quite a bit that's different with Oba-san, but if Oba-san was supportive of others, this would have been so very different, frankly, I think XS would have pulled a Planescape on us with her.

Next turn, we should point out that Himeyuri probably lost her privileged position due to what she ordered her subordinate to do.

Also, we should give Himeyuri a calligraphy saying both that we pardon her, and apologising.

It was needed and deserved, but we did wreck her life/threatened everything she has.

Well, what she originally wanted was to protect Himeyuri from Ryukusa. That's why she's here trying to convince us they got the twins to go easy on Ryu-chan.

In any case, we're not drinking this water-salt-thing at all.

Maybe if we reach a point where she wants us alive and well, we make it as if we're going to drink, to see her reaction

I agree with these points. However-
>that we pardon her
We made a promise, I don't think we actually can. We could state our intent to kill chickens instead, though, since we have that wiggle room.

Maybe, but maybe not.

I doubt she would have acted like this if it was just to ask forgiveness.

Not to mention that Himeyuri can call us herself.

Oh, we should ask Shinju for her phone, call Himeyuri, and talk to her like that

Nah, we can pardon her, and say we do. We don't have to tell her about the chicken, just that she's off the hook this time, and leave her some cooked meal in her appartment

Or we can say that Himeyuri's actions, making the best of the bad situation presented to her, have allowed us to pardon her in x and y way...not that we weren't hoping to find said way, because we really don't like to kill. Unless we have to. She should ask Ah? (the Water Oni general of Ryo) about our resolve.

If we do a calligraphy of it, it'll probably be the sign for "forgiveness", written in a way that means we both give it and ask for it.

Adding to

[XXX] Apologize now.
[XX] Sympathize with her.
[X] Redirect the conversation.
[+] Commiserate – Oba-san could have done this differently.
[+] Ask her what she really wants from this.

Before she can say or do anything more you lift your hand. “I'm sorry.” That takes her entirely off guard. “I'm sorry. Not just for saying that. I apologize for taking my irritation out on you. You didn't deserve that.” You relax, turning your cup in circles on the table, fully aware that drinking it would be asking for trouble. “Oba-san's desires have had repercussions on more than just my life. I forget how hard it is for others too. She's done some things that a priestess should be ashamed of having done, to her kamuy, to the people she is supposed to support, to my friends and by proxy to my family – even as new as it is.” You look at Shinju, who is schooling her expression very carefully. “It didn't really have to be this way, I think.”

It only takes a few seconds for her to adjust her thinking. “Apology accepted, Ryukusa-sama. Your secret is safe with me, as long as no one else brings it up. Even then I may keep my own counsel. As you say, it is a difficult ability to live with.” It's obvious she doesn't mean it's a difficult ability to deal with, but to survive having, especially in her position. “You are....not entirely what I expected of you.”

“My family helps with that,” you murmur softly. “It is painful you know. Being something I am not meant to be, being trained to be something that someone else needed. It has been very difficult to become what I am meant to be. I'm sure you can understand that too.” It's subtle, but the blood chemistry of sadness is starting to supplant that of battle. “Shinju-sama, what is it you truly want here? If it was to simply inform me that you tried to help because Himeyuri asked, she could have explained herself on the phone more easily, and personally. She didn't need you to do that."

“I do not know what you said to her, Ryukusa-sama, but I could see she was terrified. Her orders to us were clear – stop the Generals Two if we could. They could not be stopped, but I managed to....change their tactics.” Her seriousness is evident in her voice and expression, but more so in how she doesn't talk like she's been smoking marijuana for half the day. “Himeyuri-sensei is important to me. Not like Akari-san is to you, but she is important to me. Please rescind your curse and allow her to be free of you.” She lowers her head, and places her fisted hands on her thighs, eyes closed.

You run your finger around the edge of the glass, letting her see – because you suspect she can see without her actual eyes in perfect clarity, though that's you being paranoid perhaps – that you are considering her request very seriously.

[] Explain that you can't rescind your 'curse' but you accept her efforts and have forgiven Himeyuri's failure.
[] Tell her that it is not that simple but you will speak with Himeyuri about proper recompense.
[] Accept her request and tell her you will give it due consideration.
[] You can't do that entirely, but you won't necessarily hurt Himeyuri.
[] There is a way around the issue – but it will cost you, Shinju.

>[] Tell her that it is not that simple but you will speak with Himeyuri about proper recompense.

>[] Tell her that it is not that simple but you will speak with Himeyuri about proper recompense.

Maybe explain how this situation with the promise works and what we can do about it. Assuming that doesn't put us at a disadvantage.

[] Accept her request and tell her you will give it due consideration.

>[X] Tell her that it is not that simple but you will speak with Himeyuri about proper recompense.

I'm not entirely clear on what the last option is about.

>[] You can't do that entirely, but you won't necessarily hurt Himeyuri.

>[] Explain that you can't rescind your 'curse' but you accept her efforts and have forgiven Himeyuri's failure.

Ryukusa has something in mind, but we don't have privy to it unless we go with that option. Not the first time we've had that situation.

>don't have
*aren't
Way to screw up grammar, me.

>[] Explain that you can't rescind your 'curse' but you accept her efforts and have forgiven Himeyuri's failure.

>Tell her that you have forgiven Himeyuri and that she will suffer no repercussion for this from us or ours.

Important!

>Tease her about how Himeyuri and her would make a cute couple.

Important too, because making her blush will be fun.

It's been mentioned before a long time ago, but the number of choices Ryukusa has is due to her Clever Mind and also because she has a smidgen of psychic ability. That smidgen is a lot stronger with Void under her belt.

It's presence in her choices is nor more obvious than it used to be, if you look carefully.

A bit late, maybe, but eh.

How much do you bet Himeyuri discovered her nature, and just accepted it instead of trying to use it against her?

Makes me wonder what this psychic girl we rescued is up to.

Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Be careful what you wish for.

Eh, it's not exactly top priority, though we should contact all our friends and allies once we reach Shoko's palace

Question: are demigods like us able to possess their priestesses, too, or it only work for Yui?

I don't know if a demigoddess should possess their servants. But if we can posses Yui we should be able to possess Kiku if she allows it. she's had the training to cope with it so I think we'd need her permission or a rite to do that.

But Yui is an Oni as well as our servant, who knows if it works the same?

Speaking of Oni, I hope we see Shoko soon.