Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
What race/monster from previous editions would you most like to see return in an Unearthed Arcana/ new player's handbook?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tarokka-deck
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are the best/worst sorcerer cantrips?

If you don't have Prestidigitation, you're doing it wrong.

My set of Tarokka cards arrived. They are of quite good quality and well worth the 10 AUD

I think I want to make either a halfling or gnome barbarian and my DM said I can homebrew some more thematic totem animals for them.

Anyone have any ideas? What would woodland critter totem animals look like? I'm thinking stuff like maybe Turtle, Squirrel, Snake, possibly some kind of Bird, Ferret, Raccoon, Gopher, Deer, Porcipine, Fox, Beaver, Rabbit.

What are some interesting things I can do with these animals, mainly as far as combat goes. I think it's pretty easy to think up some noncombat stuff for these kinds of animals, but if anyone has anything really interesting please let me know!

Also, if anyone just has a general list of homebrew Barbarian Totem animals I'd love to take a look at that too!

If you could talk your DM into a squirrel totem involving climbing and extending rage benefits to throwing attacks that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't be too terribly worried about breaking things since throwing is pretty weak as is, without feat support.

PHB:
Bear
Eagle
Wolf
SCAG:
Elk
Tiger

Should this be added to

I'm DMing my first real campaign and I'm trying to plan out the reveal of my BBEG. I'm also fucking stuck. If your name is Andrew stop reading this by the way, because this is spoilers.

The story so far basically is:

>Setting where all the gods have rooms in a giant "world temple" that they may use as a base of operations
>Gods occasionally all congregate in the temple for unknown reasons
>Players find out that it's basically a staff meeting conducted by the two over-gods to check up on the pantheon, and also learn that the over-gods occasionally fail to show up. In the months leading up to such occasions people begin to find ancient artifacts that are effective against the gods themselves, causing those meetings to be full of chaos and diecide
>Gods believe this to be a test pushed upon them by the over-gods to cleanse the pantheon of the unworthy

The players don't know it, but in actuality the gods are absent because they're too busy fighting the third over-god, who they wrongfully imprisoned at the beginning of time, and everything else is just a side-effect of that.

Unfortunately for the players, they lost that battle. So Over-God #3 is going to show up, and he isn't going to be happy.

I know how to do the reveal. The problem is the BBEG's actions after the reveal.

Would "Over-god tells the pantheon that he wants to cut out half of them and gives them 6 months to 'impress' him in any way they can, resulting in chaos" be a stupid plotline? In actuality #3 just wants to destroy reality and start over, and is using that contest in the hopes that the resulting chaos will make that easier

>Not putting /5eg/ in the title.

How would you do a wizard school campaign?

Someone solved that problem a while ago by putting /5eg/ in the copypasta description of the Mega.

You're welcome.

Start everyone with their choice of Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster. Make the wizard school multifunctional, focusing on magic but also serving as a home to all sorts of gifted people looking for guidance.

I'm hoping to get to play for the first time. I've been a permaDM for all my DnD time thus far.

Here's the character I've been kicking around.

Arcane Trickster X, Warlock X (pact of the chain, fiend), Conjuration Wizard 2.

It's a bit MAD, but the goal is hopefully to have good combat utility with Eldritch Blast, and lots of out of combat utility with Mage Hand and item creation.

Fluff wise, I'm pretty excited about it. I want to play a member of a fiend led thieves guild. The fiend teaches magic to his thieves, and offers luck to them. I think this would give the new DM a lot to go on.

My main question is how do you think I should split the levels between warlock and rogue?

I need pictures

Pictures of desert characters!

Still annoying.

Make everyone a wizard gestalt

The dragonborn warlock grabbed his trusty glaive and hefted his bag of rats as he walked into the Death House. He passed by some fully functional suits of full plate. He joined his compatriots, which included a magical rogue, an illusionist wizard, a ranger with a mighty beast companion, and a fighter. The warlock noted to tell the fighter of the full plate later, since it would surely be of great use to him, and would definitely fit him and not decay when they left the house.

The party travelled forward, when suddenly, a foe appeared! The party got into battle position, but the warlock stopped them. He would handle this. The warlock got his pact weapon ready (a mighty halberd) and killed a rat for a health boost. He rushed forth into melee, delivering a few nasty blows with his glaive, before taking a step back. The beast attempted to attack him, but the warlock used his misty step to teleport behind him. "Psh, nothing personal" he said, before ramming his halberd into the foe's back, slaying it instantly. The fighter couldn't help but feel overshadowed by the casters in the group.

They kept moving deeper into the house. A new enemy appeared and the party was ready, but the rogue had a far more clever idea. He moved his mage hand into position before dropping its load: a bag of daggers. The daggers struck hard and true, ending the fight before it even began. The rogue picked a few up and began juggling them.

Finally the party approached the final room, seeing the strongest creature they had seen yet. They were stumped; how could they defeat this fearsome foe? The fighter's dual wielded lances certainly wouldn't do it; nor could the ranger's very strong and capable animal friend.

Then the wizard got an idea. He created a wall of antimatter, and then made it real. There was a violent explosion of energy as the beast (and the entire party) was torn asunder.

As the warlock died, he couldn't help but think something: Is my race a meme?

You're hurting yourself more than you can imagine with all that multiclassing. You're missing out on tons of spells slots, upper level spells and class features, why not just take warlock with a criminal background? An invisible imp is better than mage hand anyhow.

Wait, is Wizards printing out new Tarokka decks?
I never got one as a kid (used real Tarot faces instead) but that seems sweet.

Mostly because having access to mage hand ledgerdomain and a familiar sounds fun. I figure you can kind of do anything with a warlock because eldritch blast is so good.

Not-harrypotter, and instead of how magic is genetic, being an adventurer is genetic. There is a school for every type of class, located all over the Earth, with magical creatures and shit, that is a seperate "world" from the world of normal humans.

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tarokka-deck

Only if you keep putting more Cha into it, which you wont be able to since ASIs are class features.

How do I Druid?

That seems like shitty design to me btw.

But, it also helps inform my decision. Using rogue as the main class, I can get as many ASIs as I would have with a full warlock.

If I go rogue 13, Warlock 5, Wizard 2, I get 5 ASIs, That's as many as 20 warlock gets, so it doesn't seem bad. The main thing I'm sacrificing is high level spells, but if I was going arcane trickster then that wasn't a problem anyways.

I liked the Varag from 3.5's MM4, and for some reason I liked the Ushemoi from 3.5's MM5.

>GUYS
>I'm a barbarian...
>A GNOME barbarian!!!
XD

Fucking lold. Some of the memes didn't sound so terrible in practice either.

I still think bag of rats is okay from a thematic and crunch perspective.

Are there any creatures you know of in the Fifth Edition Foes that would be way broken if my DM allowed me to druid Wild Shape into it?

So does the lack of replies mean that I'm shit and should kill myself?

No, it's just that every user here is named Andrew

Explains the rampant memery. Fuck andrew.

Fuck.

Well, I suppose I'll just have to take the risk and give Andrews my blessing. Because I'm really scared I am going to fuck this up and I really don't want to do that.

Hold up, let me show this to my brother. He goes nuts for this kind of stuff.

Incidentally, his name is Andrew. He doesn't have any game though.

The best advice I can give you as a DM is to relax.

The second best is to say "yes .... but"

>tfw holy land has already been reclaimed, the sand niggers driven out, with nothing to do.

Sea cucumber

He said it's alright. Not the greatest, but it'll do.
I think it's fine too.

Yeah they are quite good too. And I didn't want to fork out 300 plus dollars for the original set lol

Well fuck you too Andy

>be a ranger
>save your gold, you'll need at least 1,000gp
>hit level 3, choose beastmaster
>choose any CR1/4 beast (of INT =< 3)
>take it to a high-level druid
>"pls cast awaken on my beast. the language I would like it to learn is Common"
>give him the 1,000gp for the material costs of the spell (he might charge some more for services)

Boom, now your animal companion speaks and understands common and has an int of 10. You can now give it way complex instructions and it has much more utility.

>be warlock
>take pact of the chain
>get a better animal companion for free

>be meme
>take the meme
>HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
kill yourself

Sup /5eg/, I need some help for you creative types.

I'm a DM for a mixed group (some experienced, some new). Some shit just went down in the area my players were in. A mix of things (invading god of madness worshipping barbarians, they are wanted criminals for stealing shit and burning a few places down, they pissed off a major corporation) and I decided to head to the "wild west" area in my setting.

They are already involved in a tech heavy story plot line. They essentially pissed off the biggest tech conglomerate in the setting by being a bunch of dick ass thieves. I'm currently designing the region and I need help because I'm not super familiar with western settings/ideas.

The town they are heading to is essentially your run of the mill wild west town complete with a sheriff, saloon, etc, that is between borders of their nation and a NOTARABIC! nation. Closer to their own kingdom is plains/herding land (dustbowl style area) in a bureaucratic style city far far north. Further south is the other nation and a burning sea of sand.

Right now I have an Alamo style fort (once run by a bunch of gunslinging mages who had a heroic last stand, but lost), and a railroad for some hijacking hijinks. The sheriff is an old fuck who is a former master bandoleer who is the sheriff mostly out of convenience.

Anything will help - players characters aren't super familiar with guns as it is rarer in the area they are from.

Some ideas: Walking around with a gun showing shows you are looking for trouble. The pirate in the group has been dying for a gun, who is undoubtedly her first goal.

Magic not channeled through a gun is considered to be dangerous and foreign.

Anything will help.

Warlocks are memes now? I thought it was just bladelocks.

You first andrew.

>be druid
>go to old volcano
>awaken every bat in the cave for free
>???

Guys come on, forget for a minute what's going on over there
Genies, magic carpets, flowing scarves and adventures in gold-filled caves spiced with the scent of incense!

Come on now! This is fucking D&D!

>No scaling
>No attacking while companion attacks
>No helping and attacking in same turn
>Better

Your meme is shit and so are you

I like egypt better. Tell me this wouldn't make a great campaign.

>beastmaster ever sending his pet into combat
I hope you don't mind when it dies to the very first AoE of every fight.

>can't see through its eyes
>can't send it through trapped rooms because it's not easily replaced
>needing it to supplement your damage instead of using the highest damaging cantrip in the game
>samefagging this hard.

Seriously andrew, leave.

If i intone every question about if they can do X with a "You can definitely try." and let them roll a DC that's impossible is that a dick move? I make it pretty obvious that it's impossible/almost impossible, but I still let them roll it anyway. I see a lot of people say not to do this, but I figure it's slightly less metagamey if they can atleast attempt to roll for everything. Tell me why i'm wrong/right pls,

>The memes
You are dumb, and so are the words you type.

Here's another one.

I'd wager it's fine if it's something harmless that they won't kill themselves with, but if they're rolling to flap their hands like wings and sail over a ravine, I'd tell them right out if that's impossible in the setting.

I hope you appreciate these. Because when my dump is done, you're just getting more racism.

Not bad. Enjoy drinking their tears when they look at you smugly and expectedly when they roll a natural 20.

Still, a ranger with pass without trace and a level in rogue for expertise can totally get a 40 on a stealth check at level 5.

As a DM you are supposed to describe what your PCs see. If you know an obstacle is impossible (say the gap between ledges is 15 feet instead of 5) you gotta describe it to them as if a reasonable person was seeing it. To let them roll for truly impossible feats is cruel, like telling a blind man he can feel his way on top of a stove when the flame is on.

This one's iffy.

>be level 11
>beast has 4 * your level HP
>CR 11 Behir breat attack does ~66 dmg
I get it, math is hard.

Depends if the thing they're trying is blatantly impossible or not.

No matter how high they roll they aren't jumping into outer space, that's obviously impossible.

Now if they're trying to convince an NPC of something they have reason to never believe then they can certainly try, because unless the party took the time to properly investigate or they have mind reading powers they won't know what information the NPC has on the topic.

Is going in for a hermit background for CoS worthwhile or does this module tend to have a lot of healing pots available? We don't have a ton of heals and I'd like to at least know we have a little bit of a means to regain some hp in combat.

And I'm done. Enjoy.

Hey man, just so you know, the guy you are arguing with is not me (the one who originally posted the Awaken animal companion trick). The whole basis of that idea is that you aren't using your beast in combat because now you've invested probably 1,500gp into it and its smart as fuck (for an animal). It should be used to pull off heists and shit.

>What is saving for half?
>What is positioning your beast to keep it out of AOE?
>What are flying beasts?
One day you will know how to play.

How do I sneak Solaire into a 5E D&D game without homebrew? Pic related.

DM is running the Curse of Strahd adventure, and wants it to be as grimdark as possible. I want to be as ham as possible and I figured what better to play than a warrior of sunlight? The party is starting at level 3 but we're not using homebrew rules.

But why? Warlock gives you a better companion for free. Also charisma for social stealth.

I don't know mang, it seems like you're spending 1500gp to be a shitty rogue/warlock.

Light Cleric with a str/wis build. Praise Pelor \o/

Probably bladelock pact of undying light. Maybe take fighter too

light cleric

paladin

not that user buuuuuut...

>What is saving for half?
a two shot instead of a one shot, hurray.

>What is positioning your beast to keep it out of AOE?
pretty sure the monster decides where that AOE goes and since a previous post talked about sending the companion into combat, they are going to be in AOE town

>What are flying beasts?
I was unaware flying beasts in combat were immune to AOEs

Damn, you really are stupid. I never argued that one option is better or worse than the other. I'm just posting an idea for any rangers out there who are dissatisfied with their beast companion. Smarten up and stop trying to turn everything into an unwanted debate.

really quick probably dumb question, don't have my phb with me

could the attack roll cantrip you learn from spell sniper be eldritch blast?

I get that, but it's still slightly less smart, can't be invisible, can't shapechange, has no damage immunities and is much more expensive to replace should something unfortunate happen.
I'm not saying you can't do it or that it couldn't be fun, it's just a real replacement for actually good class features.

>a real replacement
Sorry, not a real replacement.

>Str Based Light Cleric
I'd say yes if you got heavy armor, but you don't with light cleric. Unless you take Variant Human and Heavy Armor Training, which could work.

Paladin of Devotion for Lathander could be good, just praise Lathander instead of the sun directly, since they're basically the same. Should stop the group from noticing as soon, maybe. He's a bit well known even outside of the franchise.
Other than that the only "Light" themed thing is probably Undying Light Warlock, but that's UA and also not very in line with Solaire.

Yeah, I know. It's just a way to make the whole thing a bit better while following RAW. I still wouldn't want to play a beastmaster but if I had to, this is what I'd do to make it more bearable (no pun intended).

Yeah, but I think you need multiple levels of warlock to get multiple rays of EB

It's kind of sad that beastmaster is so shit that to even come close to pact of the chain warlock, there's a 1500 gp spell tax that depends on your DM playing a fairly high magic game.

Cantrips scale with character level, not class level. Otherwise Magic Initiate would be trash.

Cantrips scale off of overall level, not class level. It's why sorclocks are so good.

I literally don't understand how WotC thought that Beastmaster was good enough to be published. Even Hunter is just ok. Even then, there's almost no point in going BM because 9th level Hunter can just get 2 castings per day of Conjure Animals.

worse still is that Paladins get Find Steed and Oath of Ancients is basically better Melee Ranger

Basically, they were terrified of beast master's animal companion functioning as a second character and making turns take longer.

But then they go and make the find familiar spell, and the find steed spell. They're kind of retarded, or secretly do want casters to be better than martials in almost every respect.

Alright guys here are my ranger fixes:
>General
-Starting at lv1 can cast hunter's mark without a spell slot
-Foe Slayer: wis damage applies to all attacks, they also ignore all resistances and immunities

>Beastmaster
-beast gets death saving throws (they are already supposed to but people dont do it for some reason)
-beast has 4 × (ranger level + beast con mod) hp
-beast gets ranger level ÷ 5 (minimum 1) ASIs

>Hunter
-Giant hunter: remove "within 5 feet"
-Steel will: also gives proficiency in wis saves
-stand against the tide: when a creature misses you get a free attack back

If it's obviously above their level (e.g. seducing the goddess) or obviously impossible (e.g. seducing the tarrasque) then fair enough. Everyone has a laugh and the game goes on.

If it's something that seems reasonably doable (e.g. seducing the princess), then you're just giving them false hope.

Find familiar on its own is fine. They can't attack, can't be awakened because they're celestials, fey, or fiends, not beasts, and are all pretty weak animals, they just did a shitty job picking familiar options for chainlocks. Sprites and pseudodragons are objectively garbage (mathematically speaking) compared to imps.

Neat! Thanks Andy

dank, probably making an eldritch knight and eldritch blast thematically seems fun.

although without lock levels eblast is just firebolt that can target multiple enemies

You really only need 2 lock levels to unlock eldritch blast's full potential. Though at that point, I say go for 3 or 5.

Paladin is a better decision. An EK who maxes his Cha for his to-hit with EB is going to be hurting in every other area.

>paladins can't throw lightning bolts

I just give my ranger beastmaster and hunter feats. Still will suck later on since lmao there is like no scaling with hunter shit

I even let my ranger have a pseudodragon AC and he still is outperformed by everyone else. Ranger needs to be put down

I was planing on 6 levels of Eknight, then the rest being Evo wiz. I'll have to look into what a couple levels of lock would give me, going 3 lock for eblast stuff + pact of the blade mite b cool.

thematically/rp wise though lock doesn't really fit; character is from an order of knight that hunt arcane related shit like aberrations, outsiders etc. like a arcane paladin kinda

An eldritch knight is gonna have a bad time trying to use eldritch blast. You have no way to get it to go off of your int (magic initiate uses the stat of the class you stole it from), so you're gonna need to divert points into cha to use it. At that point, it's probably not going to outdamage a plain old melee attack or a GFB/BB, so it's pretty much useless.

Could fit if his drive to rid the world of arcane menaces led him to sell his soul to another arcane menace. Dip a bit into fiendlock to give you better tools to complete you mission but at a dire cost.

Somehow I have a hard time believing you

I've run the numbers, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, to me at least

>magic initiate uses the stat of the class you stole it from

welp you're completely right. Firebolt it is

i'll save the lock stuff for when I play a paladin, may be cool then. Wish there was a clear "good" lock patron, i know GOO and fey aren't necessarily evil but they're a grey area

also as for scag cantrips what would you suggest? I always hear about GFB and it seems solid

that's pretty solid and I dig it

>I have a hard time believing you

believing what?