Any tips for a new mtg player? I bought a 15 card booster pack and i dont really know much. Would appreciate some help

Any tips for a new mtg player? I bought a 15 card booster pack and i dont really know much. Would appreciate some help.

Other urls found in this thread:

woogerworks.com/
mtggoldfish.com/
store.channelfireball.com/landing
mtgsalvation.com/forums
youtube.com/watch?v=GadqHggATe8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

go to a booster draft near you. probably the best way to do the game without emptying your wallet

If you just want to get *A* deck, buying one of those big boxes of cards is probably the best place to start.
They have like six rares per box (compared to at least 1 rare in a pack, AFAIK), but it's a good way to get a basic deck set up.
From there, you should find your FLGS (friendly local gaming store) and ask them for help with the basics.
Once you've gotten those down, take 's advice and go to a few booster drafts to hone your skills.

Get a Duel Deck and find a friend. If you can't manage the latter, play with yourself, it's not like that's a foreign concept to all of us here.

thanks user i live in new orleans so its pretty hard to find any players to help.

Oh, and download Cockatrice. You cam build a deck for free, just learn the distinctions between Standard, Modern and Legacy, and ask for help of the interface. There are plenty of us who play Magic with Cock.

woogerworks.com/

what is this exactly?

Third party Online MtG simulator. Since you know, you said players were hard to come by.

thank you user

If this is the same guy, then goddamn he is friendly.
Salute

Get an Intro Pack or a Duel decks set.
Ask your LGS (Local Gaming Store: overlaps with comic book stores) if there's a casual/beginner night.
Take an index card/notepad and pens/pencils with you when you game IRL.
Two six-sided dice are also a good idea.
Make sure to also have a minimum number of all the fiddly bits that your deck will require -- tokens, +1/+1 counters, etc.

As much as it pains me to say I'd advise you to give Magic a skip and just play something like hearthstone. Magic is more popular than it's ever been but wotc (the company that makes it) refuses to adapt, leading to ridiculously high card prices. If you absolutely must play mtg I'd advise you play online as you say players are hard to come by, but just be prepared for the clunky and slow interface all digital mtg clients have (not their fault, to be fair. It's just due to the complexity of the game)

>Get an Intro Pack or a Duel decks set.

do not do this. intro packs and duel decks do not carry the value at which they are sold.

>buying one of those big boxes of cards is probably the best place to start.

No. Cracking boosters is pretty much gambling and the odds are not in your favor.

This is what you have to do OP:

Download Duels Origins. It is free to download, it has tutorials and has cards from the most recent sets. Getting a little acquainted with the rules and cards will help you to study the formats. This is important because if you want a paper deck you first have to decide which format you are going to be to playing. Most people start off with Standard, which is the most popular and entry level constructed format and then they jump into Modern or Legacy. If you don't want to be playing very competitively then you should go look for a place where people draft. This is a very good format for starting players because the environment is very casual and you get to build a collection from the cards you draft.

If you are completely desperate for a deck to play with then get a Deckbuilder's Toolkit or the Origins Clash Pack, although these will never be as good as a proper constructed deck with playsets of cards (4 copies of a card).

Check these sites for information regarding strategies, metagame, and deck techs:

mtggoldfish.com/

store.channelfireball.com/landing

mtgsalvation.com/forums

You should do this

>duels origins for teaching new players the game
this is basically the best thing anyone can do ever to learn the game.
but you will get bored after 20-30 hours, it is not the full format.

for new players looking at the physical game starting with zero lands etc.
the fucking deck builders toolkits man
>price of a draft, maybe 5 bucks more
>4 boosters
>130 odd commons and semi random shit
>20-30 of each land

it means new players can actually build decks, more than one deck, so long as they dont overlap colours too hard and play each other out of the box.
it is pretty good value for money, and even better value for money if it is two players getting in at the same time.
$12-13 each for a kickstart to getting into the physical game. with minimal hassle.
they will never be competive with these cards, but it's far less messy than buying a netdeck without really developing a playstyle, or experimenting with different strategies.

Get xmage instead, it actually works.

>get told this last time
>dl xmage
>start downloading card images
>kept stopping with 4-5 cards to go

ehhh

You know you can play without them, right?

I have that problem too, but the system is automated.

>Cracking boosters
I actually meant the Deck Builder's Toolkit, what recommended, I just forgot its name.

I'm too casual to know what all the cards do

It says on the card if you click it/mouse over it.

You're cute op. There is plenty of good advice here already so I will furnish you with some different advice:
Tensions run higher the more invested some players get in the game/ their deck. Check your emotions at the door and try not to let impatient/ asshole players get under your skin. Be wary of card sharks. Card sharks are traders that prey on new players lack of card evaluation skills. Keep everything you pull until you get your feet under you. Especially rare lands. They aren't all gems but you'll figure what's what eventually.

Praise Yawgmoth. Hail Tourach.
Blessings of black mana be upon you.

okay i'll do it again now

That's some great advice you should totally follow

>Keep everything you pull until you get your feet under you.
yeah I'm in this boat.
I just started this year, and there are like 40 seagulls at my LGS constantly asking for my trades and they look like I slapped them when I say I dont have any.
is it really that weird not to want to trade cards?
I just want to play, I don't care about spending a few bucks on cards I want.

If you want specific cards, it's always cheaper to buy singles than it is to crack boosters.
Its also generally better to draft, rather than buy boosters.

Hi. I've been playing Magic since I was 9 (23 now). I play Legacy every week in a store here.

Do not spend money on booster packs. They aren't worth your money. Same as the Fat packs. First of all, here's a youtube guide that although cheesy, will help you get introduced and learn the game: youtube.com/watch?v=GadqHggATe8

Once you think you've got the basics, I suggest you pirate the PC/Console game, that although they are shit, will let you play magic and take your first steps before buying anything. And then, you can start buying cards.

If you have friends that play the game in a "kitchen table" kind of way, maybe you could just do that and head to a gamestore and buy the cards you like. If they are playing a defined format, you should check which cards are legal in that format. Standard is boring, dull, and because the cards rotate, you will always have to inject money into it while losing worth. Modern might be a little bit expensive if you are a newcomer. That's why I suggest that if your friends or if a local store supports the format, start by playing Pauper. The decks are hella cheap (about 20-30 US) and the games are highly interactive with interesting mechanics. You'll be able to play competitive games of magic while not spending a lot.

Afterwards, you can decide where to go. Maybe you want to invest into Legacy, which is Pauper on steroids and although pretty expensive, you will never have to invest again and your cards never lose value.

What source are you using for the card images? Currently there seems to be a problem with getting the images from magiccards.info.

amazing.
took 3 seconds.
chur user.

>Duels Origins
That requires a very modern GPU. If you only have a GeForce 200 series or Radeon HD 4000 series it will simply not start.

But even if you can run it, the game is a massive grindfest to get the cards you need. You're much better of just pirating one of the older DotP games instead even if they have older cards you will still learn the rules and basic strategy.

what the fuck are you smoking bro?
I run it on a 1.2gz 7 year old laptop with a dodgy radeon.
it doesn't run CSGO but duels is no sweat.
I did turn the animations off, but I thought that would have been a given for everyone.

>System Requirements
>Minimum:
>Graphics: 512MB DirectX 11.0 compatible video card with Pixelshader 3.0 support

The problem is not the required speed but the required feature set.

bump