Did you ever make cooking an important part of your games? How did you do it?

Did you ever make cooking an important part of your games? How did you do it?

Food is magic. Instead of a potion or ritual, you cook and enjoy a good meal.

I wish I had.

A Ring of Sustenance is only 2,500 gp.

Eating? No need.
Drinking? No need either.
Peeing and pooing? Nope.
Sleep? Only two hours.

It's a massive quality of life improvement.

Our party monk is channelling Senshi. After our battle with goblin gang he butchered them, cooked them and forced us to eat them.

It was delicious.

Since my character is new at adventuring I played her assuming this is normal for adventurers, no one has told me otherwise yet.

I've always wanted to run a halfling cook character, one bubbling with excitement for ADVENTURE, whose greatest joy is to see friends enjoying a good meal he (or she, I think it would work well with a housewife-ish sort of aesthetic) created. Also, donkey companion, channeling Bill, carrying a small kitchen and larder.
Never found a rules set that supports that type of character, though. I'll probably have to hash out a homebrew eventually.

Oh hi Alton.
Have fun with that Blue Dragon.

My most recent campaign is in a modern (the specifics are difficult to explain) setting, and the party often meets up to hang out, talk, and have a cooking lesson from one of the characters. I actually have an amateur interest in cooking, so I employ that knowledge there.

I have a seperate cooking skill, which is

cooking = 0.5*survival + 0.25*nature + 0.25*medicine,
and requires it's own proficiency.

Players then explain what they want to cook, and edible materials are consumed in the process, the total mass remains the same (for simplicity) and if it exceeds about 300g for each PC they have a satisfying meal.

To cook something, the PC rolls d20 + cooking + profiency bonus against a DC, which is determined by how many positive/negative effects the PC wants the food to have, and the quality of the edible materials used. For instance, trying to cook up a filet mignon of con +1 from a leather boot, is a DC 25.

I had one of the PCs buy his freedom from goblin slave traders by impressing their chieftain with some excellent dire bat pie and kobold egg soufflé.

I describe the food the players are served and encourage them to say what they're eating, but there's no mechanics for it. It's all flavor.

you sound like mi DM ):
(just my opinion, but for me, that's over complicating a good chance to just RP the situation and give a random small buff to the player)

I hate one of my DM's, he's good at narrative but sucks at everything else and LIKES to complicate stuff.

Want to try negotiate a better price with tavern clerk, he makes you roll charisma, wisdow, int, perform and sometimes diplomacy, because fuck you, i'm the DM and like to over thing stuff

Really, I see it as a service to the players.

I allow them to have a direct hand in choosing the outcome of events, rather than forcing them to rely on me solely to be judge and jury, which I believe distances the player from their perceived agency.

It might be fun to run a campaign with lots of travelling and diverging into food description like a less spherical GRRM.

A friend of mine plays a mage who comes from a family of bakers. Whenever the party gets to a town he borrows an oven to make confections which he gives out to NPCs for persuasion advantage.

Not cooking, no, but we did have to play out foraging whenever we miscalculated the rations we'd need. Nothing like getting stuck in a desert temple to make you appreciate buy extra 'just in case.'

"I mean... giant scorpion shouldn't be too different from crab or lobster, right?"

I started since a few games ago when I was kind of bored of the standard "Night falls, you camp around a fire and set watches." and wanted something more. I started looking into cooking and perform skills, as well as actual food/ingredient mechanics of the system, and went about obtaining actual foodstuffs and additives rather than just "Trail Rations."

At first I slowly worked into it, with just an idea of making neat food and cooking for my own character. After awhile in game, one of the other players one of the nights noticed my character making a nice chicken dinner with herbs and side dishes she thought to give it a try and joined in. All the while the DM had been aware and liked that I was keeping a mind to it and taking a risk at trading off more useful equipment in favor of cookware and foofstuffs, so when the other player joined in he decided to give us a small bonus for a good meal and cooperative effort. Eventually more and more of the party started to join in and it went beyond just cooking to include musical instruments played, stories told and games or gambling played, and the bonuses increased and the roleplay potential really came into its own. Eventually it became a situation where at least dinner, if not breakfast as well were big highlights of each day and a lot of fun to play through with the group and we even had fun with it out of game. Players would play instruments or sing songs IRL as a representation of their game character, or we might actually have a go at some simple gambling, stuff like that. Interestingly it also served to prompt more interpersonal/character driven roleplay in the game proper, not just the cooking/mealtimes.

I've been in different games and groups since that one but it's always something I've tried to keep since it's always seemed to work as a good leaping off point in a game to prompt more and different kinds of pure roleplay. Current game is probably the best example, since it's so heavily roleplay based.

>there's no mechanics for it. It's all flavor.

Thats the right way of thinking

In my experience as a player, if a female NPC cooks for a PC it usually is a sign of her beeing intereted/returning his interest in her.
Or to be blunt: they gonna fuck soon!

>no eating or drinking
>quality of life improvement

Yeah, rely on the randomness of a d20 instead, that's a totally logical and intelligent arbiter.

But they have a choice of being good at cooking, which influences the result of the roll, and the die itself is fair incarnate.

not that other user for the record

Yeah, because the way modern culture enjoys being spoonfed is sure to breed someone deeply worried about their agency. I think the 10-20 seconds required just doing math to figure out whether or not the action was successful is ridiculous.

Not even going to bother going into why a dice roll to determine if you succeed at cooking a good meal is an immersion killer. Or why such needless details can only detract from the narrative when it becomes bogged down in endless minutiae.

If that was bait, then kudos, I guess mindlessly rules heavy games are my weakpoint.

No, but I might now

I had one player who insisted on playing a Ranger with a favored enemy of kobolds. She hated kobolds. She ran halfway across a continent to kill off a small band of them. When she finally caught them, she insisted on killing them, cooking them, drying them out, and turning them into jerky. I went ahead with the idea, and told her that they were the most delicious kobolds she'd hunted.

Anyone else who tried eating kobold had to make a Fort save to avoid immediately vomiting.

Other than that, I had the idea to give different races different diets and see how adventuring works out with that. It's not something I've tried in a game, though.

>Eating goblin
>Mud-dwelling, anything-eating goblin
Enjoy ur parasites

Senshi is a cute.