Magic: The Gathering Wednesday Flavor General - DOA Edition

>You are a planeswalker.
>In the vast Multiverse, only you and some other chucklefucks know of the countless worlds beyond your own.

Welcome to the Magic: the Gathering Flavor General thread!

Helpful links:
>Uncharted Realms Archive
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/uncharted-realms

>Planeswalker's Guides
ARCHIVE pastebin.com/Ttgtz6A9

>Set Trailers
pastebin.com/ayJntkE0

>Current Status of Planeswalkers:
2014: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/checking-planeswalkers-2014-06-16
2015: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2015-08-19

>Doug Beyer's Tumblr
dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/

Reminder: Keep bait, shitposting, and arguments to a minimum--try to focus on lore discussion. Ignore chandere posts.

This week's Magic Story is "Games" by Alison Luhrs.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/games-2016-04-27

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it was nice to see the Odric letters.

I liked this story a lot more than some of the other recent ones. Too many stories seem to either be nothing but unconnected world building or focused entirely on the plot, this one was a nice mix between the two. Of course, the banter was top quality and I love how the mad scientist trope is being played here.

Does anyone know how much time has passed in Innistrad when going from the Innistrad block to SOI?

A year

Man, Gisa's a moron.

True. I still like her, though.

in all fairness, she's probably also going crazy like everyone else on innistrad, and she seemed pretty out there to start with

in other news, WotC finally crossed the streams, anyone think non-zendikar planes have a chance?
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

I like how she and her bro are hilariously childish. When she sent him their dead mum, I felt my spine tingle a bit. Innistrad is the best plane because Creative wouldn't let that shit fly anywhere else in the multiverse, aside from Grixis I guess.

Loved this story, Gisa is stupid but funny stupid.

I suspect an alliance in the future between the two siblings in EMN.

8.5/10 would read again.

Planeshift: Innistrad/Ravenloft when?

Jesus fuck Nahiri you must really hate Innistrad if you're making deals with necromancers.

How far off the deep end is Nahiri? She's getting deeper and deeper in bed with the worst kind of folks and I'm having trouble figuring out if we're ever supposed to respect her or trust her after this.

GISA A CUTE

>of the deep end
Are we still debating if Nahiri is justified in her anger? It's been heavily suggested that sorin locked her in the helvault, then did fuck all when the eldrazi escaped for the SECOND time while ugin was in his cocoon then did basically nothing to stop the eldrazi.
>BTW how is there not a NAHIRI'S FUCKING PISSED edit yet?

Liliana has done worse and we're still supposed to feel sympathy towards her.

I would say shes justified

>Ugin and Sorin coerced into making her home plane a jail for multiplanar monsters with the promise that they would come back should they ever break free
>they start breaking free, Nahirir signals for Ugin and Sorin, but they do not show up, and Nahiri has to deal with it herself
>travel to innistrad to find Sorin laid protections that blocked off Nahiris signal, and that he really didn't care that it did so.
>both planeswalkers react poorly to each other, but in the end it looks like Sorin locks up Nahiri in the vault
>Zendikar gets wrecked

While I agree that Sorin's done just about nothing since the Eldrazi woke up, it can be argued that he was spending all of his time hunting down rumors in order to find Tarkir. Ugin made sure that nobody found out where he was from, including his allies, both so that he would be safe from his enemies and so Tarkir would remain a closed environment from the meddling of other planeswalkers. And it is thanks to Sorin that Ugin is awake again, so there is that.

If what this guy Thinks is true, she has been pleasing old demons for favors like Liliana does for funzies.

She is FAR too gone to reason with and should be put down before she draws danger to other planes.

>he was spending all of his time hunting down rumors in order to find Tarkir
While we're talking about that
How does a planeswalker find a plane ? It's not like they can actually get in the blind eternities and look around, is it ?
I know they have to imagine the plane to planeswalk there but how do you imagine a plane you're never been too ?
Also, how do they planeswalk for the first ? Is their body planeswalking randomly ?

I think for imagining a plane you've never been too its like just closing your eyes and walking forward till you bump into it.

Sorry but I'm siding with Sorin
>he saves her ass as she planeswalks for the first time, just as an act of mercy
>mentors her
>helps her do the right thing for the greater good
>countless years later she comes up bitching about how he didn't call her back like a teenage ex-girlfriend
>she starts giving him orders, and attacks him when she refuses even though he's weakened
>he spares her life once again
>some more years later she breaks free and start programming the total annihilation of his own plane, arguably not giving a shit that Sorin was the only one caring about her plane back when dragon daddy was too busy pretending to be dead and elf Hitler, Jace and friends were messing up with Zendikar
>she makes his daughter, his dearest thing go mad and forces him to murder her
Sorin's the one fucking pissed and he's 100% right to be

the first planeswalk is random and may or may nit be influenced by a walker's state of mind on ignition of their spark. for walking to a plane you've never been to I assune one is capable of developing a sense of planar direction, such that walkers can give each other directions and such. we know walkers are capable of following each other via a sort of planar "foot print" that only other walkers can sense, but I doubt bolas has held the hand of every planar agent he's ever worked with, just for one. it's possible that if a walker can't just go to the blind eternities and walk around, they can at least extend some form of perception into it to get some bearings.

They are both stupid idiot babies who didn't bother communicating and the both of them should be locked into a second less destructible Helvault so they can bicker for eternity.

pretty much this, all things considered. nahiri is too short-sighted and sorin too aloof in their whole relationship. (almost like one is RW while the other is WB)

It's not really known. We know that (at least with the Origins 5) the first walk is to a plane is triggered by their spark igniting and to a plane that works out well for the planeswalker. Hell, even oldwalkers like Urza and Liliana got randomly thrown to another plane when their spark ignited. Jace got Ravnica, a place where he could disappear and start anew. Liliana got Innistrad, where she could learn necromancy from the experts. Gideon got Bant, where he was able to become a knight and learn humility after his pride killed the Irregulars. Chandra got delivered right to a monastery of pyromancer on Regatha.

I tend to imagine blind planeswalking like island-hopping without a map. You wind up on a new place that's relatively close (somehow, within the Blind Eternities) to your starting plane unless you're trying to go farther away or you have a good idea of your destination.

As for the Blind Eternities, it's really up in the air as to how things work. The few descriptions I've found seem kinda similar to the Ganzfeld effect; there's a lack of everything you could normally percieve, so your brain tries to fill it in with colors, motion, sound, feelings, etc. Except there are actually things out there.

Sorin acted like a jerk but Nahiri exagerated. Sorin was busy protecting his own plane, just as Nahiri, so she should have been the first one to understand him instead of bitching.

maybe, but ye was protecting his plane from nebulous possible threat while she was sitting on the eldrazi specifically.

>he saves her ass as she planeswalks for the first time, just as an act of mercy
>mentors her
This is true
This is not true, he convinced her to do the right thing for Innistrad and stopped giving a shit about her right after
>countless years later she comes up bitching about how he didn't call her back like a teenage ex-girlfriend
He promised to be there if the eldrazi started getting out, and he was too busy having a hang-over to respond. Imagine leaving an intern in charge of a nuclear reactor and it starts melting down and they call you for help but your too busy snorting coke
>he starts giving him orders, and attacks him when she refuses even though he's weakened
Again, she found him hungover after stopping the hypothetical meltdown after he didn't bother to help. Then she wanted him to come check to make sure she did it right and theeldrazi weren't going to get free again. He refused to take care of the problem like an alcoholic father
He sucker Helvaulted her because she was winning the fight and was about to wreck Avacyn the first time
>>some more years later she breaks free and start programming the total annihilation of his own plane, arguably not giving a shit that Sorin was the only one caring about her plane back when dragon daddy was too busy pretending to be dead and elf Hitler, Jace and friends were messing up with Zendikar
Sorin was the reason why Nissa broke the Eye of Ugin by being a massive prick, and the only reason he needed Nissa was because he deleted the memory of where the Eye was from his memory because he gave that few fucks about Zendikar

Sorin is a raging asshole. Nahiri's being a bitch, true, but Sorin honestly deserves her bitching at him.

has it right.

>He sucker Helvaulted her
This is silver

>Just as Nahiri [was protecting her own plane]
Except she did the exact opposite, she protected everyone else's plane because Sorin convinced her it was "for the good of everyone" when he really only cared about Innistrad. She put her plane in danger with the promise of "We'll come help you put the eldrazi back in if they get out." Ugin was half-dead but Sorin basically installed a caller I.D. that blocked her calls and didn't even offer an "Oops, let me recharge and we can make sure the FUCKING ELDRAZI aren't about to make our lives miserable again."

>mentors her
And, does he deserve a fucking medal for being a decent being?

Greater good for who? considering how much work Sorin and Ugin have done to protect their homeplanes, but Nahiri should just give hers up for Ugin and Sorin's needs seems completely hypocritical.

Because they promised her they would as condition for storing multi-planar threats on her plane.

>she starts giving him orders, and attacks him when she refuses even though he's weakened
They both are in the wrong here, She shouldnt have attacked him, but he basically told her to fuck off, despite the fact he said he would come to Zendikar when needed.

By sealing her away for who knows how long

>some more years later she breaks free and start programming the total annihilation of his own plane, arguably not giving a shit that Sorin was the only one caring about her plane back when dragon daddy was too busy pretending to be dead and elf Hitler, Jace and friends were messing up with Zendikar
>she makes his daughter, his dearest thing go mad and forces him to murder her

In return Zendikar, and its denizens have already been annihilated.

She wasn't protecting anything. The Eye of Ugin had a failsafe, she just triggered that. And I wonder what would she think if she found out that he was trying to do exactly so centuries later if only Nissa didn't screw up.
Don't tell me he couldn't find a way kill her once he staled her. Also, he is a massive prick, granted, but Nissa fucked with him only because he isn't an elf.

Weekly updates promised but NOT DELIVERED

Nahiri made a friend!

>Don't tell me he couldn't find a way kill her once he staled her.
Seeing as how she had more power than him, he was drained, and she manhandled his anti-planeswalker security angel of balance that later single-handedly WIPED A FOURTH OF INNISTRAD'S ANGELS FROM EXISTENCE, I imagine it was not a fight that would be instantly "Sorin wins" if he wins at all.
Plus he can't go in and out of the Helvault just like she can't. He let's her out and she has all that time to go back to full just like he does.

>"Probably a rapist..."
Man, Xenagos was having an off day if that's being questioned

Elspeth ain't taken anymore. That dude dead.

Zombies can fuck, man

True. However, Daxos can't remember his own life because weird theros zombies. Since he's back, he don't know who Elspeth is anymore.

So Zendikar had entire civilizations wiped out by the imprisonment of the eldrazi.
It's almost as if Nahiri is justifiably angry.

can't wait till elspeth comes back as a weird theros zombie and her eidolon ends up a planeswalker. maybe she'll be less of a punk bitch without all her meat and feels.

Nah, no amount of anger would justify wiping out someone else's world.

Think about that.

She is bringing Eldrazi where they have no means of being dealt with.

She is damning an entire world for another world that was saved from total annihilation.

>implying her eidolon won't be hovering over her shoulder
>implying it won't be her main means of attack now that her spear/sword is gone
>implying Knight Rider won't be the greatest planeswalker gimmick

Why would anyone become a returned knowing they lose their memories.
>man, if I put this mask on I'll be a weird zombie thing.
>>next up: another hour of smooth tunes as sung by Erebos
>WELP.

>GUESS WHO JUST BROKE OUT OF PRISON!

So are we getting Mardu Nahiri for prime waifu?

And she most likely doesn't know Zendikar was saved because as far as she knows: it's not possible to kill the titans.

More like Mardu Sorin. I don''t think Nahirir can handle her Black. She wouldn't need Gisa if she could.

Which makes it even worse that she decided to fuck someone else's plane with the same fate.

Your waifu pleases old demons for mana and is fucking nuts.

I'm not hearing a downside.

well if it's as much like hades as it's meant to be, the realm of erebos is a bleak expanse of depressing sorrow batrolled by vicious monsters and bereft of light, where even the plentiful gold can not bring beauty, so I guess anyone who might get sick of that shit would be willing to forget all of that shit especially, plus the rest of their lives, and go anywhere else at all

Karma is a bitch

O-okay.
There's karma and then there's being a SSS grade psycho bitch. Hope she gets drained and carted around as a vampire kor maid for eternity.

>vampire kor maid
hot

After getting out, why doesn't she planeswalk back to Zendikar?
I thought that was her primary concern?

She probably did and saw the Eldrazi chowing down on her homeplane
Sorin and Nahiri will reconcile before hating Ugin

She probably did so.

she very well may have.

Just because the titan were stopped doesn;t mean the rest of Zendikar was suddenly A-ok

why is 'dead' a 0?

It would get okay a lot faster if they had another Worldwaker but she's busy harbringing.
Oh yeah they will, with Nahiri serving tea in her new uniform, Sorin much less pissed/apathetic now that he can wander around with company.

And then they can get to the business of why they were not informed that Eldrazi could die.

That's a pretty bad picture honestly.

The lips for one

Not him but what's wrong with the lips? They're drawn with more detail than animu style usually does but it does a good job making them look full and ready for dick to suck.

Well I don't really like the look in the first place, but because they are more detailed when the rest of the image is animu is offputting

They share about the same level of detail to me. My only complaint is that they seem a bit too dark. Like, they should've used a lighter shade. Other than that it's fine.
I think your just a bit more used to full anime rather than this odd 75% style that I've been seeing lately.

Team Sorin 4ever
Nahiri can die in fire. And all of the wizards creative team

Bring back Garruk / Remove Nissa / Make the main green planeswalker not shit

Fucking Jace of all people has one of the strongest characters now.

see

>inb4 only Zendikar and Innistrad get these
And so it came to pass that only the most boring planes got crossover material.

Don't about my fucking waifu like that
[Spoiler]wanna fight?[/spoiler]

U waifu a shit

But none of the ones marked DEAD are zombies? Freyalise didn't even leave a corpse, Venser's corpse got dragged off by Phyrexia and is probably in multiple pieces by now, Elspeth is in the underworld with a gaping stabwound but is not a zombie...

>the first walk is to a plane is triggered by their spark igniting and to a plane that works out well for the planeswalker

Sorin ends up on Serra's realm and that's where he gets the idea for Avacyn?

Wonder if they'll ever bring up the similarities in the story

Gisa, only Wizards 18+ can post on this board, go back to Vampit.

>how do you planeswalk to a plane you never been?
My headcanon is like you're on a ethereal street and there're "windows" that let you see planes, remember Crash Bandicoot 3? Like that.

>but Nahiri is doing stupid shit
Of course she is, she's blinded by revenge, all those years inside the Helvault plotting to destroy Innistrad are now paying off.

>#TeamKillSorin
What did you guys expected from a BLACK character? Of course he's going to act like a pride asshole, could Sorin explain the situation better to Nahiri? Of course he could but is not on his color pie personality.

He's been Orzhov more than Black, "fuck off and fuck you" is more just his character, rather than being a color pie thing.

I like to imagine it like the kingdom Hearts multiverse with different items floating about, like the astral cornucopia from the Theros block.

I mean it can totally be a character thing, white is about law and safety, you don't have to be nice about it. In fact I would go so far as to say that the Azorious are kind of cunty about enforcing the law. Sorin is white in regards to saving the muttiverse and Innistrad from threats and he's constantly met by dumbasses who get in his way, he's more greater good. You're in my way fuck you dead. Thousands saved, one dead. Super white with all that delightful black.

>In fact I would go so far as to say that the Azorious are kind of cunty about enforcing the law.
You don't say?

>Next story is the schism between Thalia and Odric
>Odric is a Lunarch Marshall
>Lunarch Inquisition is basically the Spanish Inquisition but with moons
>Inquisition obviously evil due to the mass killings of "heretics"
>Odric split between trying to stay out of his ally's line of fire and not being pants-on-head retarded
>He's probably gonna die in EMN by either being backstabbed or worse
>Thalia's probably gonna be fine
Rip in peace Odric

>son ripped apart by werewolves
>wife couldn't take it, gone soon after
>survived all of the bullshit that was Dark Ascension
>cold cocked motherfucking Garruk
Please no. We need more cathars like this man. He needs to live to train a new generation of monster hunters.

Gisa a best.

Idiot.

But a best.

Grete saved Garruk

>in a play by post freeform roleplay a couple of years ago
>play as sorin
>not much characterization at the time beyond the zendikar book
>play him as a conniving, egotisitcal, confrontational, self-serving asshole
>got in fights with other characters constantly, for the stupidest reasons
>turns out i was playing him 100% correct the entire time
>mfw

also, we need out own pacha edit. probably garruk or nixilis.

>pacha edit
There's a great Feldon one, anyone have it?
>when the sex robot feels just right

If we want to go full memelords it should be Ugin or Nahiri, because Hedron alignments.

Yes she did, don't know why I thought I typed knocked out.

Also that was immediately after the cursemute happened and he was kind of at his worst. It's not that impressive.

Garruk at his worst still seems like a lot more than most people do at their best.

>astral cornucopia from the Theros block

For me is more like Omniscience.

Can someone ELI5 the Shadows Over Innistrad story? I was into the spoilers, but lost interest. I want to read the Uncharted Realms stuff, but there's so much of it and it doesn't hold my attention as much as I'd like.

We've had Mr. "Survival of the Strongest" and Elf Hitler/Dindunuffin. What other archetype does green need?

I read all of it over the past 2 days, it's a shit load better than "Nissa and Gideon do fucking nothing for months".

Something's fucking with Avacyn's mind to make her hate humans, so she got rid of the cursemute and is killing everyone.

Nahiri is using Gisa's zombies to make the drownyard (presumably for Emrakul). Gisa was in jail but Geralf helped her escape.

Jace is trying to figure out what the fuck is going on and was driven partially insane by whatever's coming via the drownyard.

Sorin asked Olivia for help against Nahiri, because Sorin was Sorin and got into a fight with Nahiri a while ago for dumb reasons.

Also the gitrog monster has weird mind control powers, that story was dumb.

Nissa doesn't have a character anymore, they could try again with racist.

There's also the natural order and/or community stuff, but they'd probably just make that selesnya

Racist seems so out of color for green. I mean, green's all about the natural order, and racism doesn't really fit in that, because every creature has an important place in things. I think you could go with that but not the huge communal vibe Selesnya gives off.

Maybe a planeswalker trying to figure out where planeswalkers fit in the natural order of the multiverse?

>ELI5
What the fuck is this dumb reddit shit.

Just say TL;DR

>because every creature has an important place in things.
Green is the "Africa for Africas, Asia for Asians"
You evolved there for a reason, stop trying to fuck things up by intermingling.

But species migrate. Even species that don't migrate seasonally end up moving around over centuries and millenia. And I imagine green would be the most in touch with the idea of evolution, so I still don't see it.

Racism is the natural hate for things that are different from you because they might eat you or take your shit.
Green is hoards trampling everything in their path to spread their territory. Like "Overrun".

I'm sorry to have triggered you.

I just don't understand why you've gone out of your way to use some reddit thing for a concept that's existed for over a decade.

I just don't understand why that bothers you.