So is 5e D&D just 2.5e D&D, like how Pathfinder is considered 3.75e?

So is 5e D&D just 2.5e D&D, like how Pathfinder is considered 3.75e?

On a completely unrelated note does anyone know a good way to homebrew weapon speeds and casting times back in 5e? In PDF form hopefully?

Aren't speed factors already in the DMG? Page 270 IIRC.

Oh damn. Well that's what I get for buying the dmg and not actually reading it.

I sometimes suspect I'm the only person that's ventured outside of the magic item section.

I love old capcom art. Not only is the watercolor style fantastic, but you can really see the influences and stuff. Like the two figures on the right, next to the key. The one in the hood looks almost exactly like Mariah from the JoJo fighter, and the one in white looks a lot like Jin from Cyberbots.

>liking weapon speeds

>Liking dexterity as the sole influence on initiative.

>OP tries to start edition wars
>Veeky Forums derails it immediately
somtimes i think there's hope for us after all

It's such a good book too. Even better than the 4E DMG, which was the best part of 4E.

Does it have much application for fantasy RPGs outside of 5e specifically?

No? PF is 3.5 with countermeasures against magic and fighter feats cut in half.

5e doesn't bear much resemblance to 2e at all, not sure why anyone would compare the two.

Magic items were half your character in 3.5, 5e removed a lot of the emphasis on magic items and gave them back a lot of the mystique they had in 2e that was lost in 3.5

Definitely. Over a third of the book is about world-building, how to create interesting characters, design exciting environments, etc. There are lots of tables and guidelines that you can use for any system.

What makes it so good? I sometimes run 4e but I'm honestly not sure if I've ever opened the DMG.

>Magic items were half your character in 3.5

They're half your character IF you're a martial, anyway. But yes, they didn't have much mystique to them.

Incidentally, it would be cool if AD&D or something OSR-y had an analog to Weapons of Legacy (the pregen WoL are horribly unoptimized, I'm aware). In basically everything OSR you get piles o' magic items before you find something good, usually, and the usual reaction is ... to severely curtail magic items away from the default treasure tables and from the modules, so you're stuck with crappy and few magic items.

Which? 4E's had a lot of good advice on running the game and it was nicely laid out in 4E style. I especially liked all the bullet points and sidebars (especially "Tips From The Pros" which had general pointers and anecdotes).

One thing it did nicely was to borrow from Robin D. Laws and summarize different player types: one player might be an "Actor" and another is an "Instigator", and it tells you how to engage those types of players while mitigating any negative effects they might have.

There were also a great section on improvising, including using improvisational aids like lists and mini-dungeons, plus the classic improv technique of saying, "Yes, and...".

All the 4E-specific stuff was great too, although I'd recommend the DMG II (which Robin D. Laws co-wrote) for stuff like Skill Challenges, since it revises the rules and explains them a little better.

5E's DMG does a lot of the same but it also benefits from lots of fantastic tables, more system-agnostic advice, plenty of optional rules to tailor the game to a certain style, and in-depth guides on hacking/houseruling the game. It has a more prosodic layout than the 4E one, but it's the kind of book you can sit down and read for hours and be inspired by.

No? It's trying to be MORE like 2e but it's still using the D20 system for 3.X on. Mechanically it's just 3.X heavily stripped down and lowered in power to be faster and less crunchy.

Its really not "just 3.x." The system is extremely different from any other edition. Bounded accuracy is the big one.

>The one in the hood looks almost exactly like Mariah from the JoJo fighter

Actually, she's 1:1 the Al Quadim thief.

Pic related.

It's similar to 3.X in that it uses d20 + modifiers vs target number as its core mechanic and that it has Feats and Skills, sure, but the thing is that they're implemented very differently from 3.5.