How do we salvage Diablo's setting for an enjoyable tabletop experience?

How do we salvage Diablo's setting for an enjoyable tabletop experience?

Which system would you use for a Diablo campaign?

inb4 play DnD 4e, come on, guys, this joke is getting old

Other urls found in this thread:

androidarts.com/diablo/diablo.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2evIg-aYw8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Use any system but base the fluff off of the first game.

Dungeonworld

Cute spoiler but it's not a joke. DND 4.0 is a hack and slash loot collector focused almost entirely on combat with no depth as a well-rounded rpg system for storytelling, thanks to having been dumbed down for the masses.

Diablo is THE DEFINITIVE hack and slash loot collector game with a story that kinda plays in the background whilst you drench the ground in the blood of your enemies.

They're made for each other.

Not a tabletop conversion per se, but it has some cool game design ideas.
androidarts.com/diablo/diablo.htm

As true as this is, I'd still use 5E over 4E for Diablo.

>these guys don't know that 3e was Diablo edition
C'mon, you guys, at least lurk a little bit.

3E is Diablo. 4E is World of Warcraft.

Get your memes straight and your head out of your ass.

I feel that Darkest Dungeon is very similar to Diablo I in terms of general look and feel. Diablo II maintains some of its grimdark roots, but D3 just makes it all a saturday morning cartoon ("YOU HAVE DEFEATED MY SIEGE BEAST, NEPHALEM, BUT NEXT TIME I WILL GET YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS! HAHAHA!" - almost an actual quote from Azmodan) with occasional gore. If you want to bring out the best in Diablo (and I'm not talking mechanics), move in that direction.

DND "skill points and feat trees" edition is not Diablo in feel, I don't think that's a very accurate meme.

I will however concede that 4E is essentially World of Warcraft, it seems to have been intentionally created to get the MMO audience interested.

>DND "skill points and feat trees" edition is not Diablo in feel, I don't think that's a very accurate meme.
That's because you haven't played 2e, and don't know what changed between editions and how much 3e and Diablo resemble each other.
>it seems to have been intentionally created to get the MMO audience interested
The only thing it did was use terms that predate mmos and have a unified system the way most rpgs do that aren't called D&D.

>inb4 play [the game which best does what it wants to do]
Yes, the combat-only tone was first done by 3rd, but it's terribly balanced. 4e maintains that divergence from actual roleplaying while also making the game actually moderately good at the combat that it's centered around.

Have you tried Torchbearer?
Lamentations of the Flame Princess?

I mean that skill tree shit can be expressed in any system. I can hack it together in ORE in two hours. Just give me a Diablo wiki. But Diablo was dark and gritty. And you'd need more interesting challenges than "hit the button at the right moment". Maybe combinations of feats to defeat specific enemies? I don't know.

I do know that Tristram is still my go to forlorn village.
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2evIg-aYw8

>inb4 play DnD 4e, come on, guys, this joke is getting old
But balanced hack-n-slash game play is exactly what 4e is good at. Hell it's even mechanically similar with Diablo 2, with every character choosing from a list of attack powers available to their class.

That pic is so sexist omg.

This is the first time I ever see a handwriting where the capital As look like Os

>Not knowing that 3.5 is Diablo edition
>Not knowing that 3.5 had literal Diablo supplements

You shitposters are getting worse and worse.

AD&D

you're not even trying

Nice little Hitler.

There is also two third edition books which i use with a 3rd edition clone. It has gone over well enough.

this

>How do we salvage Diablo's setting for an enjoyable tabletop experience?

roll the timeline back to Diablo 2. Ignore Metzen writing, hide Metzen posts.