What has been Japan's biggest contribution to all things tabletop?

What has been Japan's biggest contribution to all things tabletop?

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=22806087
forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/3472-Red-Dragon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A bunch of really good to decent RPGs?

They developed a subculture around not only playing roleplaying games, but recording them and publishing the sessions as stories. In their country, they elevated the idea of games to not be simply something that was done casually among friends, but a skillful artform that could you could improve to the point that people would want to hear your stories.

They were the first to say "let's see what happens if we get famous authors together, and record their gaming sessions."

That, and they've pushed the limits of how big swords can be to an admirable degree.

I really wish more replays got translated.

Popularizing AD&D enough to codify it as the basics of one of the biggest JRPG series?

loli dorfs
dog kobolds
liberal use of belts

This.

That ties back to .

Battletech was based on macross and dougram and whatnot originally.

Trapped in a fantasy world anime.
Oversized weapons
Dogbolds

They removed greatswords limiters

this desu

This. Replays are a very big deal in Japan; it's the main method of propagating systems over there. I just wish I could read more of them.

>What has been Japan's biggest contribution to all things tabletop?

Loli Dwarfs.
Dog Kobolds.
The Re-popularization of the "Pig Orc".
Cartoonishly Giant Melee Weapons
The popularization of Androgynous males/Femboy characters

Uuuhhhmnnn.

The plethora of half demon, half angel, half animal, half etc.. Deviant Art Characters
The "Trapped/reincarnated in an mmorpg fantasy world" trope

That's.. I think everything I can think of at the moment.

They didn't invent this, but I think they did have a big hand in playing up the "gritty'ness" of Western Fantasy, like: Guts as well as a number of animes and mangas during the 80's and early 90's depicted Western Fantasy as very "dark", violent, brooding, suffering and so forth contrasting the light hearted romantisized adventures of Japanese fantasy like Dragon quest OR their feudal-dramas with samurais and so forth.

This.

Japan popularized mechs, and practically invented the mecha genre.

Giant robots wouldn't be nearly as prolific without them.

Mecha. Not a huge fan but it inspired Battletech which was pretty big in its day and paved a way for popular wargames.

>The Re-popularization of the "Pig Orc".
Thats terrible

Pig orc rape ruins almost every piece of elf hentai. Human rape and ntr ruin the rest when they don't overlap

>gyaru is no longer a thing

>JPN runners go to China

Without Japan, no Battledroids, so no Battletech.

That alone is more than fucking enough if you ask me.

>JPN runners go to Salish-Shidhe

>That Orcess

>JPN runners go to Salish-Shidhe

Lolis

>Mariachi Orcess

Truly a more evolved people. A superior culture.

I'd be more concerned that dressing up as a mariachi, an old-school Native American and a gaucho wearing a shirtless poncho is a sufficient disguise in Salish-Shidhe.

I love to use that picture as a reaction image for "you're being a faggot OP".

You're not the only one getting ruined

Katanas

who are these Spunk Monks?

dognolds is a better concept than "lizarmen, but smaller"

off-topic, but do you happen to have the source? Or even just some quick terms to search for?

Weeaboos by proxy

It's still a thing.
It's been a thing since the '70s.
That particular subculture of gyaru is no longer a thing, but it is only one of many.

>Dog kobolds
That was a Japanese thing? And why no mention of pig orcs? Like the real pig head ones instead of just boar features.

Seek professional help, scum.

Been there, done that, still looking for source.

Teach me more, gyaru master

I have a question, is gyaru a mix of hair metal and punk tropes, also why do I never see a male equivalent of this?

> also why do I never see a male equivalent of this?

I'm assuming its because most japanese men would make terrible tan dudebros. And every time they try go for a delinquent look it spirals down and somehow ends up looking like pic related.

The point is more or less to look more American and there's dozens if not hundreds of ways to do that.

No, and because you haven't really looked at all.
There's even a male gyaru in recent flavor-of-the-month anime Galko-chan.

>not knowing about GAL-Os
Damn you need to reread the gyaru splatbook m8.

Hey, rockabilly is big in Japan.

Absolutely nothing, just like japan's contributions to everything else.

but dog kobolds were in OD&D

I think it's pretty sad we've reached the point that rabid anti-weebs are far more annoying than rabid weebs.

They had "dog-like" heads but were still lizards.

Japan took that "dog-like" and ran with it.

Dog-Kobolds (and Pig Orcs) was a mistranslated bit of the AD&D Monster Manual where "monsters with dog-like faces" got translated to "Dog-people monsters"

IIRC it was a translation thing, "dog-like" and "straight up looks like a dog" can be expressed almost the exact same way in Japanese.

Got an example of Japanese dog kobolds?

If the translation was "inu mitai" then you would probably be correct.

As others have said, Japan made mecha popular and the Tau either wouldn't exist without them or would look radically different.

I think Wizardry is responsible for JRPGs.

Have to wonder how well Galko did as an anime.

That's always been the case.
There's nothing sadder than someone complaining about weaboos on Veeky Forums.

>Pig orc rape ruins almost every piece of elf hentai.

Do all girls do it, or is it something seen only with trashy/delinquent types?

VERY few girls do it, while typically seen among trashy and delinquent types it's even falling out of fashion among them.

Honestly while the gyaru fashion may still technically be "a thing" it's been out of fashion for years.

Source: I've been living here for years.

Why did it happen in the first place?
When did it peak?
What's replacing it?
Did you ever bang a gyaru girl?

Big swords are the apex of civilization.

Muh Nigga

I wish Sword World was translated.

so kind of how goth fashion is in the relevant world

>Why did it happen in the first place?
Counterculture. Japanese ideal is light skin, and all Japanese hard black hair and brown eyes, thus the opposite is tan skin, dyed hair, and colored contacts, and so on.

>When did it peak?
I would say late 90s early 2000s ish.

>What's replacing it?
Hip hop styles, which, honestly, share a lot of the same elements, up to and including the dark tans and dyed hair.

>Did you ever bang a gyaru girl?
Yeah, she was a fucking bitch though, and a terrible lay. Most boring sex ever.

Not him, but it's pretty fucking difficult not to bang a gyaru as a westerner. You are basically a badge of honor to them.

Are Japanese men really manlets?
I just break 6ft (183 cm).

>apex of civilisation
No, that's lolis.

Slayers and Record of Lodoss War.

>Loli Dwarfs

Katanas, which are underpowered in d20.

Tenra Bansho Zero
Sword World

Record of Lodoss War
Slayers

Dragon's Dogma

Oh, and I totally forgot Bastard!! and Berserk for some reason. I should have thought of those first, really.

Curvy elves

Don't forget Demon's/Dark Souls.

They didn't come up with that.

There are tall guys there as well, but in general you're going to be on the huge side with your size.

Tan elves with white hair.

...or is that just my fetish?

and then they made a really bad anime about it

I liked it, I really did. I liked the idea about it. I hated the fact there was only that ONE music track that played over and over again. That got kinda annoying. Would like to see them remake it or something.

Anyone know where I can watch the other Sword World animes?

I'd argue Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle counts. It's more a parody of Dragon Quest, but still, i'd argue it's almost a parody of tabletop as well

The closest we have on here are green text stories.

IRC sessions would be easier to turn into a replay i guess, RL sessions would need a voice recorder and the dedication to translate it all. Though i think most games i've played would need a fair bit of cleaning up, and perhaps tidying up as people mishear or misread things and say something that docent make sense until the Gm corrects them.

I get the impression that japan has a pretty active scene, but they have their own RPGs, own boardgames and own war-games so we don't get much cross content leakage.

And until recently there haven't been any manga or anime that depicts the scene.

How did dogbolds become a thing?

It's just, one of those runs, ya know.

>quest board finally a thing
>it's shit
Hah.

To answer your questions, shit translations of the AD&D Monster Manual that confused 'dog-like' with 'dog' when talking about the head.

that one wayward strand of hair makes me sad somehow.
It also baffles me by resisting gravity somehow.

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=22806087

their boobs are way too small for that outfit

Extreme opinions combined with aspergers in any social interaction tends to be annoying for everyone involved.

Not him, but he's right. I can't get off to porc rape - feels too much like bestiality. I prefer 'em looking like the dude in that comic - clearly monstrous rather than looking like a fat acceptance fursona.

>implying Record of Lodoss War is bad

They're talking about Chaos Dragon, the anime based on Red Dragon, the replay series featuring Urobutcher and friends testing a guy's homebrew.

is that natsu, uro and some other guy?
i hear of that they wnated to publis or sume shit but never what was about

exept that urobuchi made a edgelord mage and natsu a pally

I think broad summaries tend to work a lot better in general. The difference between a finished film and 2,000 hours of unedited reality show footage.

>Girl on the right
Only know to find her by searching "Rio Urabukkake" on google, anyone have any other means of finding more stuff, or even just a name besides Rio?

Translated version here: forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/3472-Red-Dragon
Nothing new for ages though.

nigga

>uroshitter charater
now thas some serious edgelording

hello. Tokyo calling. Genki desu ka?

And yes, gyaru have almost died off. Though where I live there is definitely a "yankii" thing going on.

OT: Biggest contribution? certainly replays, mechs, big swords.