Questions. That. Don't. Deserve. Their. Own. Thread

Questions. That. Don't. Deserve. Their. Own. Thread.

Hi, I have two to start off;
1. Is there a game where I can start my PCs off as no stats farmers/villagers. Give them a generic goblin raid and have them skill up through their choices of combat, a la dungeon siege?

2. How to deal with resurrection spells taking all of the drama/fear out of losing a party member once you have a cleric in the party past 6?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceless_role-playing_game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can do 1 in most games, if you have a prefered system I can suggest how to do it in that system. But I don't know any system that does that by default.

About 2....I simply forbid ressurection spells and items. I sometimes allows players to cheat death in a situational basis, usually with a heavy price. Players killed by vampires may return as a vampire, sometimes players might have their mind transfered to a nearby body as part of a curse...Etc.

2: Remove resurrection spells or make them very, very rare.
You could also have the God demand a sufficient favour/task/sacrifice for exchange of the spared life.

>Is there a game where I can start my PCs off as no stats farmers/villagers. Give them a generic goblin raid and have them skill up through their choices of combat, a la dungeon siege?
I've heard about folks running games like this. I think there might have been an old school D&D module that did this. If there was, maybe somebody else will know.

>How to deal with resurrection spells taking all of the drama/fear out of losing a party member once you have a cleric in the party past 6?
Resurrection survival rolls? That and permanently losing a point of constitution was the way AD&D went about it. Alternately, make it so the spell just enables you to enter the underworld to retrieve the dead person's soul, forcing you to face all sorts of perils in the process. Or, you know, just get rid of resurrection spells.

Dungeon Crawl Classics starts players off with 2-4 zero level PC's to funnel through a dangerous task of sorts, which ever ones are alive at the end of it level up to 1st level.

Can a V:tR fledgling vampire have more levels in a Discipline than its BP?

Is there any game that doesn't rely on dices or RNG?

1) Idk, one time we started with npc classes
2) You can rule that people who get resurrected might come back wrong, with confused memories, suffering from mental breakdowns or maybe spawing somewhere in the world a same level creature that get released eveytime someone get resurrected

2. do you realize how fucking expensive Diamond Dust is? and that it's a required component in every single resurrection? At least in traditional D&D anyway.

Meh.
Just pick some coal and hit it with a hammer.

1) It's not 'no stats', but Warhammer Fantasy 2nd edition does that well; heck, the starter module in the game is 'Your village has been wiped out by monsters, pack up what shit is left and get to the city before the monsters catch you."

You go through Careers, so you'd start people in a career like Farmer, Miner, Merchant, etc., then have them move into more violent careers like Hunter, Militiaman, etc.

Dread is famous for using a jenga tower. There's plenty of diceless games out there (Amber Diceless RPG being the most famous); just search 'diceless games'.

1. Mutants and Masterminds

2. Play Mutants and Masterminds, fully avoiding Resurrection without the players paying a fair toll for it, in resources outside of "lel gold".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceless_role-playing_game

1)You can do it in nearly any game.
2)Ban those spells. Play system that has them in limited fashion or not available at all.

Update for point 2:
What do I do with my life cleric who gets res spells. To be fair I have banned res in my game but he still chose it and is demanding to use them

Talk with the player and explain why you feel resurrection spells cheapen the game experience. Point out that he still has plenty of other spells to use, and his options aren't much restrained.

Alternatively, make sure that none of the PCs ever die, denying him the use of those spells.

This. Talk with the player and explain your reason.

You can give him alternative spells, or you can give "side effects " to those
resurrected by spells, making them a viable option but with heavy consequences.

At this point you should cope with the fact that res spells exist.

This is a character who played a fantasy game with the clear concept of resurrecting his allies, do not take that away from him.

Instead, put things at stake that aren't just player safety.

>have banned res in my game but he still chose it
Then ban the use of it. His problem if he decided to go against you.

All I can think of when reading this is the story of that party that played as commoners for one session and the entire village died off from a dire rat infestation.
Then a few months later their regular party ran across that same depopulated village and tried to figure out what happened.

And I'm reminded of that other story where a bunch of minmaxers were asked to make characters, only for the DM to grab their character sheets and say "Okay, you're now level 0 goblins, and these guy show up in a month to raze your village"

Question about Dungeon World:

Does the GM draw dungeon maps? There's the "draw maps, leave blanks" principle, but a lot of the moves seem to create stuff on the fly.

I listened to a podcast where a lot of the dungeon crawling was reduced to "you explore the dungeon for a few hours, when..." instead of doing it room-by-room.

Plus, a simple room or corridor with a few exits doesn't really feel like making a move in the back-and-forth pendulum of player and GM moves. It's just picking a direction.

M&M is bad and you are a bad person for liking it.

You're real stupid.
Enjoy your 5e.

*you're

*your

Does anyone have a good picture of an angry armoured female dwarf?

Just place a pan over your mother's head.

My DM used to be like that.
Then we got him hooked to Dungeon Keeper. Now we have real dungeons.

>trashtalking the M&Ms
I bet you're a KitKat faggot.

>I think M&M is bad!
>I don't understand basic grammar!
Aren't you a little too young for Veeky Forums

Muscle wizards need no alchemy. They just hit the atoms into new shapes.

So if a muscle wizard punches a burning tree, it creates a diamond?
Pretty badass.

Idea for the resurrection, have each time they are resurrected they lose something, a part of their soul, they start by losing their appetite and sleep less which they may enjoy at first. but eventually it affects their rolls too and their spells or abilities.

I though you lost a point in constitution each time you got resurrected?

I only have a smug one

"Simply forbid ressurection spells and items" =shitty DM, unimaginative, demands everyone fear him and nobody can be much stronger than the town drunk

Stalker The Scifi RPG.

No dice, no cards, no jenga towers.

Sherpa RPG is designed to be played while hiking. It uses a stopwatch instead of dice.

How the fuck do I get over my hobby burnout?

I have local friends, they're shit for scheduling. FLGS is trash. I can't seem to find a single group with sanity. I guess that comes with the territory of trying to draw in randos from the web but goddamn.

Been GMing so long I think it's negatively impacting my ability to play a PC, or even sit through someone else's breakdown of their setting.

And now I find myself sitting here making notes for another game I'll probably never run and I hate it.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

?
Amerifag in the middle of nowhere.

you must be new here

Not really but I've also been gone for a minute.

Sort of a character speccing question. My friends played one game of D&D 3.5 on a new campaing, and I'll be joining into next session. I've generally always rolled Rogues being skill monkey of the party, so I'm thinking of going as martial class this time.

The rulebooks allowed are Completes we own(Warrior, Adventurer) and Core books, with starting level being 5. The initial idea was to make a Fighter using a reach weapon with help of Short Shaft to also attack nearby enemies and get lots of AOPs.
But I as I was making my Dwarf and filling his Handy Haversack with all sorts of utility items, I started thinking that maybe it'd be more fun to play character living of the land in wilderness and dungeons, eating whatever monsters he'd kill. The party already has Ranger and Druid, so to avoid overlap Barbarian would be next option, as they get Survival, more skillpoints and I could probably convince the DM to let me switch some skills to relevant Knowledges.
Another reason I'm considering this is that at level 5 I'd already completed what I intended to do as Fighter, and I don't really know what I'd spend the following levels on.

Which option would let me have more fun, and is there something I'm not thinking of with the Fighter options? I'm not looking for overpowered builds, just something to make amusing character with.

Let me know if you figure it out. I need to find people to play with who have even a fraction of my investment, enthusiasm, and creativity. And that's not a comment on how awesome I am, but rather on how sorry they are. I will say that it's better to step away for a while than bang your head repeatedly against a wall until you get so fed up that you completely kill your enjoyment for an extended period of time. Take a break. If you're anything like me, that means you'll continue to design systems and so forth, only in a more laid back way, and without expecting to actually play them anytime within the near future. Taking a vacation means that you can relax and let the stress and frustration drain away, even if you ultimately work on shit roughly as much (minus the actual playing, that is). Though I'd recommend that for the first couple of months, you don't even think about RPGs.

Anyway, after a couple of months of not touching RPGs at all, and maybe half of year of swearing off play and not worrying about preparing stuff specifically for play (and just working on shit to satiate your creative urge), you can assess how you're feeling. If you're no longer fed up or stressed out, then you can start thinking about jumping back into things. But don't anticipate the moment and prepare for it ahead of time. Get there, make the decision, and then start gearing up. And if you're not ready yet, don't rush yourself. Give yourself a few more months, maybe even a year, year and a half or even two years. It'll take as long as it takes.

I mean, I dig, and I've taken a break before, it's just more one of those 'losing faith in humanity' things.

I want one (1) game where someone doesn't murderhobo, sexualize everything, blow up about a rule that everyone else can reference the page number to, act like an autistic buttangry jackass, refuse to interact with story, etc.

It ain't like I think I have some high-art games or some garbage I just don't wanna feel like a human calculator for bare bones dungeon crawls.

London?

For what it's worth, I've noticed that taking a planned break is much more effective than taking a de facto break. But I get where you're coming from. Maybe try switching to a different sort of game? Assuming you can find anybody to play with something like, say, Fate is going to run a lot differently than your typical RPG (and I say this as somebody who, despite thinking Fate is clever, finds it ruins the sort of immersion I want). Or maybe even play something that's basically designed for murder-hoboing, like old school D&D, so when folks do it, it will be appropriate. Or hell, play Paranoia. There's pretty much zero chance that won't be a completely different experience, even with a bad group Or run Call of Cthulhu and gleefully murder idiots who try to hack and slash (or bang and blast) their way through. I'm just spitballing here though.

I don't know what that means either.

What would the alignment of a Mage trying to achieve mortality for all the mortal races through studies involving necromancy and occasionally kidnapping and dissecting Elves for study be? Doesn't hate Elves, but greatly jealous of them. Otherwise not too bad a guy, I guess.

I know being misguided and possible insane might affect alignment, but I need a second opinion on this.

>Paranoia
That's not a bad idea, really, provided I can shore up players. CoC or even DG would be easier to mine players for but then the whole 'buttangry autism' thing rears its head only with Lovecraftfags instead of fedorabeards.

I dunno; life's shifting gears on me. Almost 30, gettin' more professional and will probably have to move soon. I'd like to get into some hardcore collaborative worldbuilding ala Aria. Something I can build up an interesting setting around.

>Almost 30, gettin' more professional and will probably have to move soon
Yeah, the older you get, the harder making things work seems to become. Or at least that's been my experience. At the very least, you're fighting people's work schedules, desire to actually get enough sleep, and need to spend time with their families. It's not like the good old days of high school and college, where free time was abundant.

>CoC or even DG would be easier to mine players for but then the whole 'buttangry autism' thing rears its head only with Lovecraftfags instead of fedorabeards.
Yeah, but it's different kinds of obnoxious, so you can maybe recharge your tolerance of one kind while burning out the other, and just go back and forth. But I'm not gonna pretend like I have all the answers. It's been a good while since I've played a game. I'm in the semi-permanent system design process now, where I spend all my RPG time creating rather than actually playing.

Will the Squats ever be a thing again?

How do I play as a reasonable pacifist? Trying to break the murder hobo trope for this new campaign, but my wizard already crit killed a kobold that was throwing rocks at me. I tried to play to the fact this was my first non animal kill by vomiting in my mouth, but party seems to have taken that to mean I am a pansy elf.

Pic semi related, my character art.

Okay so I've never done any roleplaying tabletop in my life, only tabletop wargaming and other really entry-level stuff, I'm so clueless about all of this that I'm sure my question comes off as utterly oblivious

My group of friends have all played DnD(some more than others), and I've gone in, read the rudimentary rules, and have a basic grasp of how things work rule-wise, but I've never actually seen or had anyone play DnD around me

Is it generally better to "act" as your character? Like speak as him and shit, or do you just say "I go" or "My guy goes" etc.? I have no clue how to efficiently go about this.

It's a matter of taste, probably you'd be best off just going in and doing what everyone else does.

Generally it is just do as they do. Some tables RP better than other. I would say try to speech and character interaction in first person. Don't say "hey guys do we have an inn" in character ask someone if they know of a place to stay. Make interactions you can't do from the table in 3rd person. "Character name place his sword before the alter"

It all depends on you and your group. Personally, I find it's both easier and helps immersion if instead of saying "My character says X" or "I say X" if you just say X, as if you were your character. Changes in your posture, mannerisms, tone of voice and so forth can clue people in to when you're speaking in character and when you're not. And I'm not talking about trying to be a professional actor here; I don't do funny voices. But my characters normally speak with more authority than I do, and the way you talk when you're an adventurer who is in the middle of a dark dungeon is quite different from how you talk if you're some guy off-handedly talking about some game you're playing. If nothing else, all you have to do is act engaged--exaggeratedly so, if necessary. Sit up straight (or lean forward) and talk like you were addressing a classroom or orating or something, if the other stuff doesn't seem natural. Or literally use air quotes if you absolutely have to. But it's usually pretty obvious from context anyway when folks are talking in character.

As for when you're telling folks what your character does, I like things to be personal, because it, too, is more immersive. So I always say "I pull out my sword" rather than "My character pulls out his sword" or "Grevish pulls out his sword", regardless of how different my character is from me. When I'm GMing, I strongly encourage everybody to do the same.

If you're playing in a murder hobo game like D&D, it's a bit of a tall order. The game mechanics are mostly centered around fighting, so it's a bit like joining a basketball team and asking how you can play the game without throwing the ball. Now, for games that are less focused on battle (and some groups run their D&D games like this too), it's a different story.

Why did you feel the need to ban something on your personal opinion and made the decision alone?

Because he's the GM? The ideal is that you tell people up front (sounds like he did) what rules changes you have made, and if people object to any of them, you compromise on it.

But this is Veeky Forums and nobody here is an ideal GM. Whether or not it was a good idea is subjective; what matters is that even the 5e rulebook says that the GM is free to change whatever he wants.

>he still chose it and is demanding to use them
He doesn't get to do that. You're running the game, which means you're the final arbiter of everything. You are not a servant of the rules, rather the rules are a tool for you to use. Still, if this is something he didn't know about ahead of time and was looking forward to, you can understand why he'd be discombobulated. Talk things over to him, as others have suggested, and explain why you're doing what you're doing. Resurrection is a bit of a big deal, so maybe you could offer him something in compensation--another spell or something. Or maybe you could put a limitation of some sort on the resurrection--it can only ever be used once before it is permanently erased from the caster's mind (at which point he can learn a new spell to replace it with), or it has a high chance of failing and/or negatively impacting the caster and/or target (a permanent -1 constitution, loss of a level to both, etc.).

But at the end of the day, this is your decision to make. You don't need the player's permission and he can't cast a spell if you don't let him. Just remember, it maybe your world, but it's ultimately your responsibility to make sure everybody has a good time. That doesn't mean giving in to their every demand (and this is something that's important enough to the feel of the game that I wouldn't cave on it if I were in your place), but it does mean that you want to try to keep the players' wishes and concerns in mind. But don't let yourself get pushed around. The players may think they want a weak GM who will do whatever they demand, but the game will suffer as a result of it, and they'll actually end up having less fun.

1.GURPS
2.By not playing dnd, and playing GURPS

Some ideas for gimped resurrection spells:
--Caster and target both lose a level
--Caster and target both have a 1 in 6 chance to die/remain dead.
--Target has a 50% chance to be permanently un-resurrectable.

Dungeon Crawl Classic
Heroes & Other Worlds via Cauldron
Funnel World

Just look up funnel campaigns.

Steal a page from Dungeon World.

When the player casts Resurrection spells he must make a WIS check with a DC of 15 + targets level.

Beat DC by 5+: Target is resurrected, has none of the side effects listed below.

Beat DC by 0-4: Target is resurrected, has one of the side effects listed below. Caster gets to decide which two he doesn't have.

Fail DC by 0-5: Target is resurrected, has two of the side effects listed below. Caster gets to decide which one he doesn't have.

Fail DC by 6-10: Target is resurrected, has all three of the side effects listed below.

Fail DC by 11+: Target stays dead. Another attempt cannot be made by the same caster.

Side Effects:
>Came back wrong
The resurrected target is undead or tainted by demonic energy. He has new powers but looks noticeably monstrous.

>Things not meant for mortal minds
The resurrected target can't remember anything of the afterlife but whatever he saw has driven him insane or to a different alignment

>Not long for this world
The resurrected target has been earmarked for another death. He takes a -10 penalty on rolls made to stabilize, resist bloodloss, resist massive damage, etc.

Make your in-setting afterlife a lotus eater machine.
Resurrection is a thing, but it's voluntary. They need to have enough willpower to actually want to leave.

GURPS would actually be pretty good for this, it even has rules for stating out normal everyday people. You could even have players take a little bit of farming skill for a bit of flavor.

sup, I saw the new board /qst/ and it attracted me, but I don't know how quests are played, can anybody tell me how to participate or play in those quets/threads?

Are there any good solo games I can play? I'm a newfag in traditional games and I want to get a grasp of them.

Not sure about
>good
but Tunnels & Trolls is designed for solo play. You can also look for "programmed adventures".

1. Shadow of the Demon Lord does something like that. Its a DnD retronclone with some modern RPG design elements thrown in.

Whats a good setting for running a western themed game?

Playing for fun tomorrow
Only rule we had was you have to stick to one creature type
Will this work?
Not pictured 4x Glimpse The Unthinkable
Still haven't decided on which two I should take, 2x grimgrin or 2x diregraf
Or 4x diregraf and replace 2x undead alchemist
What do you think tg?

How the fuck did you get "FEAR ME, WEAKLINGS" from a simple "ban ressurection spells of you want some kind of tension regarding death"?

You got some issues you need to work on, user?

>1. Is there a game where I can start my PCs off as no stats farmers/villagers. Give them a generic goblin raid and have them skill up through their choices of combat, a la dungeon siege?
1. Consider Funnel World.
2. In D&D you need a big expensive diamond to cast Resurrection. Diamonds don't grow on trees. Not even every city, much less town, should have these available.

>Designed to be played while hiking

I can just see a troop of wobbly neckbeards dropping like flies on the side of a mountain for some reason. Any fat neckbeards that survive the hike without a heart attack actually get XP for the next session.
Holy shit, user, you've just solved the neckbeard obesity crisis.

For the uninitiated QTDDTOT is a regular thread on Veeky Forums for minor form and nutrition tips and such.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
Is a meme from there where a girl will reply in their thread and a thirsty old tripfaggot would always ask if they lived near him in London

Milling is all or nothing. If you even consider taking undead alchemists out, take the glimpses out, get those diregrafs and grimgrins in, and put some gravecrawlers in there, too, if available. Undead alchemists could stay, but in that case you no longer rely on them that much - either leave one or two, or cut altogether and throw some nasty doom blades or tragic slips or even despises.

That makes sense
I'll leave the alchemist in then
So then grimgrin or diregraf?
Grimgrin seems like he'd be cool in the end game but diregraf has that support for everything on my field
I'll add some doom blades

The particular rules vary from quest to quest. But you usually just join in. Reply to the post asking for action suggestions or giving options and voice your opinion. Make sure that you are replying to the most recent one, though. And if you're a late joiner to the quest, read through old threads so you have a feel for the tone and aren't lost.

Close, but not quite.