Tolkien writes a boring distilled fantasy setting of various boring European folk tales and mythologies...

>Tolkien writes a boring distilled fantasy setting of various boring European folk tales and mythologies, inserts his childish worldview into it, and decades later a hugely successful movie series is made from it.
>George RR Martin creates an even more 'gritty' and bland European fantasy adventure, ripping off even tolkien in parts, almost no fantastic elements at all and plotlines stolen from real world events and yet has a hugely successful TV series and is a popular meme setting to all the normies.

>Meanwhile you're lovely, handcrafted fantasy setting created from the very best myths and legends from around the world, stuck full of realism and intrigue, inflated with absolute majesty and awe will lounge forever in obscurity and impotence.

Just fuck my life up. This world is garbage.

>not sure if piss-poor b8 or just teenager with delusions of grandeur

Advice - kill yourself, I guess?

>stuck full of realism
People tell you they want realism and you think they want realism, but really, they don't.

Never let realism get in the way of a good story.

Realism more refers to human behavior then physical laws in this case. Especially in a fantasy setting where the Gods are proven to exist, physical laws of the world may operate by and entirely different or absent mechanism.

>myths and legends
>realism
Pick one.

*tips fedora*

>improper use of hat maymay as damage control

Follow his advice.

>>Meanwhile you're lovely, handcrafted fantasy setting created from the very best myths and legends from around the world, stuck full of realism and intrigue, inflated with absolute majesty and awe will lounge forever in obscurity and impotence.

Nice b8. How many half-dragon half-demon half-wolf mary sue characters have you come up with?

>childish worldview
Please elaborate.

Christopher Paolini detected.

Tolkien's setting is majestic in scope, with a rich tapestry of history and language behind it. No other author has managed to create as magical fantasy world as he did, even to this day. Ah, the scene where the Company arrives at the gates of Moria still chills my bones, the sheer sense of something massive being lost in the history, glories of the ages past...

Cry me a fucking river.
It's only 'boring' because you've seen his love story to fantasy recast into stuff like 80% of Dungeons and Dragons settings, nearly every fantasy video game ever, and every other trashy romance novel a hundred times over.
Christ's sake, he was a linguist by trade, and only wrote Fellowship to Return because people wanted more of The Hobbit (which was godly for a fairy tale and I will fucking fight you in the street if you want to tell me otherwise).

>stuck full of realism and intrigue, inflated with absolute majesty and awe will lounge forever in obscurity and impotence.

have you ever considered it's because you write like a tard?

Muh Always Evil Orcs
Muh Objective Morality
Muh Christianity

>You're

>Muh Always Evil Orcs
>Muh Objective Morality
Orc detected.
>"From my point of view, the paladins are evil!"

Nobody wants that shit. They want good guys. Nobody wants a guy who's true to human behavior; that would imply some sexmad douche who's nice in practice, but has only the most ill intentions.

Well hello mr. fancypants.

Let me tell you something, if your setting is so great, you should have no trouble writing a story set in such a setting.

And if you aren't a coward, you'll post in on here for all of to shit all over it.

I think you're being at least mildly disingenuous here.

I would love to write a story in my setting, but I'm more referring to the setting itself as opposed to boring Tolkien and Martin AND Paolini shit, since I forgot he existed until this thread. I'm working on the setting itself before I right a novel (or an RPG, whichever comes first)

And besides, you would shit on it regardless of its qualities because you are a troll.

Jeez, is asoiaf hated that much, i think the setting is decently put together
GRRM is a giant fucking procrastinator though

>you would shit on it regardless of its qualities because you are a troll.
The irony here is palpable.
Look, I know you think your setting is the bestest ever (like I think mine is) but if you're really going to try and invalidate Tolkien for his style of fantasy, you can't just throw up deflector shields when yours gets torched for having qualities people don't like.

>the best myths and legends from around the world

Sounds like schizophrenic garbage.

>Deflector Shields
No, It comes less from that and more from extremely common shit I see on Veeky Forums all the time, and not just from me.
>Guy says X is bad and he could do better
>Someone says prove it
>Guy says ok and writes out thoughtful or interesting materials
>"lol its shit"
>Regardless of its actual merits or originality

It's just a common trend, I have no intention of repeating that again, I know how this website works don't worry.

>having qualities people don't like

Can you name even one?

The orcs were literally made by Morgoth to be evil murder machines. They aren't even truely sentient since Morgoth wasnt that powerful. They are literally programmed for rape, murder, and people eating.

Let's hear what makes your setting special at least.

>childish

I think Tolkien put a great deal of thought into it, hat man

Well, you aren't exactly breaking trends yourself. Let's take a step outside of your little paradigm and try to see things how I do.
>Guy come online and says he can do better than Wizards/Tolkien/JJ Abrams/Paizo
>Someone says prove it
>Guy says ok
>Nothing ever comes of it
Put your money where your mouth is, and we'll see.

>I could do better
>But I won't prove it because you'll just shit on it anyway

Then as far as anyone is concerned you can't do better AND you're a pussy.

Come on, at least give us the framework/back story for your setting. You can't claim to be the undiscovered genius who managed to create a setting better than Tolkien without providing something more than vague subjective descriptors that have no real substance.

>LOTR
>Focusing on setting details when the story is about the corrupting influence of power and the struggle against the forces of evil.

These books are so highly regarded because they speak beyond just elves and dwarves, OP.

>Can you name even one?
Being written by a pompous asshat.

Protip: It's because Tolkien was one of the greatest writers of 20th century, and you couldn't write your way out of a wet cardboard box.

Did it ever occur to you that people usually say things are shit because they are usually shit?

Fine.

>The setting is ruled, cosmically, by a coalition of dead Gods, nature spirits, and animals that make up a divine bureaucracy.
>Everyone knows it exists, but its less of a religious thing and more of a reality thing (like if you researched what made atoms hold together, it wouldn't be quarks and the strong magnetic force, it would be poetry made from the divine or something
>As such not everyone worships them and many vague cults and Gods which may or may not be real sprung up
>The primary race in the setting is entirely human, but human ethnicities are treated as fantasy races and most a sort of mythological background. (One was made of clay and human hair mixed together, one was shat out of a volcano, one was a mix of human x demon, etc)
>Once again, the racial origins may or may not be true but explain any mystical or strange abilities any racial people may have
>There are also a few other more strange races, like lizard men and trolls, but they live far away and have entirely separate cultural, empires, and Gods.
>Every human nation is deep with both cultural and religion and industry, as well as having many customs and appearances that makes them interesting.
>Currency is mostly trade goods and a few weird ones (fine pottery coins, bits of cloud rolled into bolts of cloth, etc)
>Some Gonzo elements are sprinkled in with realistic human behavior and technology
>Setting is closer to bronze age then iron age, weapons and armor made of bronze.
>Magic has been around since the beginning and civilizations actually take into the account the existence and abilities of Wizards unlike 99% of shitty conworlds everyone else makes all the damn time.
>Monsters are unqiue and not just regurgitated from European folklore

There's the basics; in short a highly original and well made setting that will never be as popular as mainstream shit because its 'too weird' and 'inaccessible' for normies to handle. This is why I'm so pissed off.

Look, if someone says "lol it's shit" then you fucking ignore them.
If someone says "lol, it's shit. Here's why..." then you listen to them, weigh their opinion against yours and make a judgement call. If they point out something seriously wrong with your idea you can either fix it or keep if you have adequate justification.

Were you never taught how to handle criticism? Not everyone here is a troll, some of us will give you honest, fair critique.

I bet it doesn't fit together at all.

I don't see what makes that inaccessible at all.
Dune is more complicated than that.

On another note, how would you feel if this idea did take off and suddenly there are hundreds of copies of it flooded into the market and egotistical autists post on message boards about how unoriginal and boring you are?

>strange races, like . . . trolls

I'm getting mixed messages here.

And there's nothing unique from your summary that makes it any more interesting than Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, or the Old World.

>Every human nation is deep with both cultural and religion and industry, as well as having many customs and appearances that makes them interesting.
>civilizations actually take into the account the existence and abilities of Wizards
Care to elaborate on these points and give some examples?

>human ethnicities are treated as fantasy races and most a sort of mythological background

While it's a fun idea, it's hardly original. It was a common trope/belief in ancient Classical literature

My first reaction is to say 'That's what people think when they think Conan'.
>The primary race in the setting is entirely human, but human ethnicities are treated as fantasy races and most a sort of mythological background. (One was made of clay and human hair mixed together, one was shat out of a volcano, one was a mix of human x demon, etc)
>Once again, the racial origins may or may not be true but explain any mystical or strange abilities any racial people may have
Okay, that's a good start.

>There are also a few other more strange races, like lizard men and trolls, but they live far away and have entirely separate cultural, empires, and Gods.
Lizard men are solid and generally underused. What are they like? More importantly, why are they separate from humans?

This tells me nothing, but I hope you expand on it.

>Currency is mostly trade goods and a few weird ones (fine pottery coins, bits of cloud rolled into bolts of cloth, etc)
Currency is very rarely expanded on, because it usually becomes the foci of a plot point if it is, and people hate reading about economics. keep this in mind.

>Some Gonzo elements are sprinkled in
So there are all tales?

>with realistic human behavior and technology
>Setting is closer to bronze age then iron age, weapons and armor made of bronze.
This tells us nothing useful. Why bronze age?

>Magic has been around since the beginning and civilizations actually take into the account the existence and abilities of Wizards unlike 99% of shitty conworlds everyone else makes all the damn time.
What 'is' magic, and what does it do? If Wizards are powerful, why don't dominate everything? If they aren't, why are they useful?

Explain further, as this says nothing otherwise.

>So there are all tales?
*So there are tall tales?

> in short a highly original and well made setting that will never be as popular as mainstream shit because its 'too weird' and 'inaccessible' for normies to handle.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. It'll never be popular, because you're a raging autist who wrote something generic and shitty, and would rather bitch about other people's success than try to make it better.

Do us all a favor and kill yourself.

Phillip Pullman detected.

Seems kind of disjointed. Mashing 50 sets of myths and legends into one thing sounds like it could be a huge clusterfuck.

Didnt really have a problem with his books... Years ago. Might be that the Spanish translation sucks less than the original.
Also the low-quality bait threaaad

Now that I think about it, it almost sounds like you're trying to make a generic classic mythology setting. Increase the involvement and pettiness of the gods a bit and you'd only be a stone's throw away from Homer.

you are a child

>>Meanwhile you're lovely, handcrafted fantasy setting created from the very best myths and legends from around the world, stuck full of realism and intrigue, inflated with absolute majesty and awe will lounge forever in obscurity and impotence.

>implying fa/tg/uys can write better than a hen pecking random keys on a type writer

top kek.

I think it does, but that's just me personally. They are worked from a common background and make more sense in context.

Hmm, I see what you mean. That would be pretty annoying, but the majority of people suck the cocks of the entertainers of the proletariat masses you know. You're going to hear a lot more praise of Tolkien then hate.

While true that Trolls are European folklore, many of the other races are not. It's not that the setting doesn't contain any European folklore, its that its sprinkled in tastefully and makes good sense as well as being aesthetically balanced with the more Eastern Indian and Asian influences.

Sure. In another post, I'll come back to you in a second.

Well yeah, I never said it wasn't based on anything, I said it was based on Bronze/Classical age kind of stuff in the first place, hence why it was chosen as an aesthetic choice.

And you did exactly what I said you would do. Nice move, slave. There isn't a free thought in your head.

Now you're getting it! In the same way most fantasy authors base their fantasy settings on medieval European societies, I base mine more on classic/bronze age societies like Greek, Rome, Sumerians and Egyptians, etc.

However UNLIKE those authors I am also not absolutely married to the concepts and ideas of that time, especially not in regards to religions or cultures, which is a common trap many (boring) writers fall into.

Sounds a lot like Glorantha.

>but the majority of people suck the cocks of the entertainers of the proletariat masses you know.
You lost all credibility as an objective critic in less than a sentence.
For someone whose main argument against Tolkien includes the fact that he put his politics into his writing, I have no doubt you've colored your setting so hard the canvas bleeds.

>Culture
Instead of each culture being presented as a quasi-medieval king and serf style organization, each is given a little more uniqueness and fitting roles instead.

For an example; One nation is ruled by immortal emperors who are attended to by priests who purge every molecule of air they breath, double and triple bleach every cloth they touch and harvest their food only from the purest and pure gardens and groves. These Emperors are immortal because of all of this, but they do not have eternal youth along with it. As such they eventually get horrendously frail and senile, and will almost always die in an accident.

SO as a result this nation has loads of weird and stupid laws because one of their emperors died to some stupid thing, which plays into their cultural and legal background. ie; you can't build fences made of wood or metal near buildings because an emperor fell out of a window and impaled himself on a fence once. So now people use gentle bushes or long reedy plants as privacy screens instead, or hanging cloth in richer neighborhoods.

>Wizards
Societies from the beginning in this setting know that Wizards and magic exist and they are commonly used in all areas of life. Unlike many other settings though this magic is not very scientific, even the most 'scientific' and repetitive forms of magic such as potions and magic scrolls are based highly on subjective thoughts and power levels of Wizards. (Scrolls can only be written by Gods, as such they are usually stolen from heaven by people, or they bribe members of the Divine Bureaucracy for them, as such they cannot be mass produced.) Mostly this is a way to keep Wizards from 'industrializing' magic and generally being unfun and unrealistic to boot.

As for more specific examples; Wizards exist in every level of society from Hedge Wizards and Witches who help their communities, to cruel bastard mercenaries, to land owning aristocrats and Kings.

This went on a bit long, one more.

I'm actually writing a novel with a setting that's been in my head for years.

Even if it never gets published, or popular, I'm not going to let myself forget the setting and kick myself later.

If you want your setting to be remembered, then write it down, and make a story. Don't wallow in sadness because someone's work got popular.

Have you considered the fact that it is you who are garbage?

>Magic cont.

Magic is more based on the creation of things like magic items or getting your hands on minions and such then fireballs and other immensely powerful things, though some of that stuff obviously exists. The purpose of all this is that if extremely powerful fighting magic existed, armies would just be fitted by Wizards, but they aren't. A Wizard would be much better served in an army creating a large amount of mud or using a strategic storm or bank of fog at the right time. Also because of the rest of this setting the bank of fog probably cheated on his wife and the Wizard won't tell anyone as long as he blinds the enemy for this next fight or something weird like that.

Finally
>Monsters
Many of the monsters are entirely original or based on less explored folklores.

For example, Stone Finger (native american monster that eats livers and is made of stone) makes an appearance, as does wholesale original creations- The Kidney Ghoul, for instance, likes to ferment people's organs for his alcoholic brews. He attacks with claws but has the special ability to inject people with a long prehensile tongue full of alcoholic blood, so it makes whoever he is fighting drunk off their ass. I don't think there is any other monster out there that does that.

Are you referring to 'colored' as in mistakenly inserting blacks and such where they don't belong? That really isn't the purpose of my setting nor does it feature. I don't even mention the skin tone of the races at all unless it is relevant.

none of this is the least bit original
have you read any fantasy BESIDES Tolkien and GRRM?
or are you just desperate for attention? can't find a group so you're desperate for validation of your setting? how did you get so """"""""superior"""""""" and full of yourself you pathetic narcissist?

Is this supposed to be a humor-style setting? Between the senile emperors, the cheating fog bank, and the free alcohol Ghoul it kind of sounds like it would make for a decent "comedy" setting.

>Tolkien writes a boring distilled fantasy setting of various boring European folk tales and mythologies
>you're lovely, handcrafted fantasy setting created from the very best myths and legends from around the world

Please try to tell me what "very best myths and legend" make fucking Beowulf and norse cosmology look boring.
>in before potato myths pretending they're relevant

Also
>getting dismayed over the success of others
Kill yourself now. GRRM has 1/10th the net worth of Stephenie Meyer. Shit will be lopped up by the masses because no amount of quality is what the market wants.

Not seeing anything terribly unique here besides the whacky laws of the immortal empires.

Honestly, it seems like you aren't very literate in fantasy settings and only have read the bog standard D&D 3.X settings. I mean your magic system is basically what Warhammer's Araby used.

>Are you referring to 'colored' as in mistakenly inserting blacks and such where they don't belong?
No, it was a metaphor for writing with a political bent that I thought more people used- due to political 'colors'.
>Blue State
>Red State
>Green Party
>Red Communism
>Black Anarchism
>White Pacifism
>etc.
I guess not.

>And you did exactly what I said you would do. Nice move, slave. There isn't a free thought in your head.

Kek. No I didn't. Your statement required the posting of something that was thoughtful or interesting. Your post is neither.

In your "unique and creative setting so much better than tolkien guize for srs." You've created something with the depth of a kiddie pool.
You admitted to copying bronze age culture and tech because you like the aesthetic, not because it makes any sense. The bronze age didn't exist just because humanity hadn't researched Iron on the tech tree, it was a combination of social, political, geographical, and scientific factors.

Just go to reddit. Your desire to be a special snowflake would fit in well with those mouth breathing 'intellectuals'.

>one was a mix of human x demon

ayyyy

Not OP here, but I got your meaning the first time and I've heard the term "colored" used that way before, though rarely.

I'm not sure what's supposed to be original or impressive about trading the shackles of medieval fantasy for those of classical fantasy.

Well you'd be correct in assuming not, my political views are neither really present nor even relevant.

Your post did illustrate another problem I have with 'generic' fantasy settings anyway, even Elder Scrolls is guilty of it though I think that one is pretty good compared to a lot of other ones out there.

Basically my setting doesn't use modern political viewpoints or beliefs because they are extremely irrelevant. Societies this old may require slavery to function, societies this primitive may require war as a way to cull unneeded aggressive males from the population and may be the only way for someone to advance in their city-state's system of government for example. It's not the same world, so how can someone put a blanket over it?

I already made a post addressing all of your concerns. Read the following post I've beaten you to the punch about 30+ posts ago. Try to keep up next time.

*unseaths fedora"
psst
*teleport behind u*
nothin personel, normie
*tips you*

>childish worldview

>from a man who has seen more shit and lived more life than you ever will

Well that was fun.

>Societies this old may require slavery to function
>implying slave societies are the norm of civilizations
>implying societies with slaves aren't the more stable and numerous examples of civilizations in the world

Keep talking OP, this is some funny shit.

Nice bait.

Also you're a faggot.

Your system doesn't seem consistent with your statements.
>For an example; One nation is ruled by immortal emperors who are attended to by priests who purge every molecule of air they breath, double and triple bleach every cloth they touch and harvest their food only from the purest and pure gardens and groves.
But this is a Bronze Age setting, so I would assume this is done by magic.
However,
>Unlike many other settings though this magic is not very scientific, even the most 'scientific' and repetitive forms of magic such as potions and magic scrolls are based highly on subjective thoughts and power levels of Wizards.
How do these two statements not contradict one another?
Do the Priests just tell the dust to go away or something? Why isn't everyone doing this?
What I'm seeing here is
>Magic functions consistently in the same way
>But it's designed to be unpredictable and uncontrollable
Can you explain?

This post gave me cancer

Let's see it hotshot. Put it on pastebin.

>before I right a novel
>right
Practice practice practice.

Man this thread was just what I needed. Now my ass cancer has ass cancer.

You're hinging to pedantically to what 'repeatable' or 'scientific' really means.

Just because something is repeatable does not make it scientific. Maybe it is based on superstition or folklore, maybe it is based on luck or the spirits or Gods, maybe it is based on misunderstood actual scientific principles that people believe wont' work without a lot of unnecessary ritual and pageantry. The truth is it doesn't matter because it does not need to be nor is it explained what the people in that world actually know or believe to be true.

However, to answer your second question more specifically. The reason why not everybody does the immortal emperor thing is because it is both a privilege only allowed to the Emperor and maybe his wife (usually not, women are not treated very well in this culture, once again not injected modern morality needlessly), and it is something that costs an inordinate amount of wealth and effort to maintain.

Not all of it is necessarily 'magical' either. For example, the pure gardens where he is given his food and water are just maintained by hard work and laws. In fact, if any human who excretes in them they can be put to death for it, with the exception to really pure animals like pure white doves. Once again, that's a bit of realism injected in to make things interesting, as doves were actually prized for their fertilizer in the medieval ages.

To give a more real world example, imagine if the pope could cast a spell of 'purify food and drink', but it only works if he is the only pope and you can't give more people the ability. Now he may be able to go to Africa and help solve hunger and water sanitation problems there, but he's just one guy.

Unlike in most fantasy settings, especially ones that are not well written, I keep magic interesting, mysterious, and full of flavor. It's not video game or Vancian stuff, and its sure as hell not 'cheat codes to the universe' garbage regurgitated on this board all the time.

The hobbit is less than 2 thin cunt hairs from mediocre, I live in Seattle near 12th and Massachusetts, I'm under 6' and dont work out, Id be happy to get beaten up cuz it would help show you how empty your attempt to defend that shit is

Welp, I'm halfway across the nation, so this is never happening.
Seriously, though?
It's exactly what it sets out to be- the story of a very small person setting out into a world much larger than he's ever been used to, facing down the forces of evil in his own way while accompanying a group of allies he earns the respect of along the way.
Please tell me you're not talking about the movie.

I know your pain OP

Mythology and folklore is boring as fuck

Slow paced, purple prose, weird names, and idiotic black/white conflicts between archetypes and plot devices rather than people

"Dark fantasy" like Martin is no better

>And then after the evil assholes raped and killed the semi good guys, EVEN BIGGER evil assholes tortured and killed those evil assholes. And everyone was miserable forever. The end.

Making everyone an unrealistic cunt isn't "grownup" it's teenage angst

And God forbid anyone tell a light hearted story

Why do you care so much about money?

Also, joke's on you, I only RP urban fantasy and the likes, the superior RPGenre.

>half-dragon
>half-demon
>half-wolf

How the shit does this even work?

*tips the hat of enlightenment*

>women are not treated very well in this culture, once again not injected modern morality needlessly

If you honestly believe that all Bronze Age civilizations are rampantly misogynistic in a modern sense then you have a poor grasp of history. Especially since you seem unable to distinguish the effects that class has on sexism.

>fite me IRL

wew lad

>Mythology and folklore is boring as fuck
>Slow paced, purple prose, weird names, and idiotic black/white conflicts between archetypes and plot devices rather than people

*tips fedora*

I bet you think Terry Pratchett was ripping off JK Rowling, too.

If 'it just works that way' is your explanation, just fucking come out and say it.

Nah just kill yourself. It worked for many artists. Maybe your work becomes famous after your death.

You're a garbage dicked faggot, do you really think anyone who lived a long time ago has any chance of seeing and doing as much as a modern person, no, and tolkien was absolutely unremarkable. His work is absolutely exceptional except for introducing elves and orcs in their current form, not very good literature, at all, and compared to the best of modern sci-fi it's piss poor, but of course most modern fantasy is standing on his shoulders so it will never be topped ever in your retarded opinion, with people like you it will always be either watered down warcraft tier shit or tolkien nostalgia,

Pullman wrote decent book at least.

>His work is absolutely exceptional except for introducing elves and orcs in their current form, not very good literature, at all,
>absolutely exceptional

>anything written by a modern person is automatically better that anything written by OLD people
>surviving the meatgrinder of WW1 is unremarkable
>living through the introduction of the machine gun, aeroplane, and tank as weapons of war is unremarkable
>implying modern sci-fi can even hold a candle to the boundary-pushing speculative fiction of the 1970s

Fun Fact:

Your hombrew is dogshit.

Yes, literally all of them.

I dunno, the Somme seems like a lot more real life experience than you could ever hope to experience sipping lattes at Starbucks.

Aw, come on.
Could I at least get the upgrade to BS?

No im not talking about the movie, "It's exactly what it sets put to be"- and it doesn't fucking set out to be much, the story could be told in a more fairytale fashion, and it could be a better fairy tale, or it could have tried to be an actually good book to read, but instead Tolkien chose to make a small but significant cultural achievement, it's a lively blend of half mythic drivel, that could have been more consistent and maybe also an actual modern story where stupid shit like a dragon having one missing scale isnt the reason the world didnt end

>Tolkien writes a boring distilled fantasy setting of various boring European folk tales and mythologies

are you retarded

Tolkien's elves being human-sized friendlies is a massive change from the European folk tales and mythologies of tiny sociopaths kidnapping your children for the lulz

Tolkien's dwarves being half Jews is, again, a massive change from the European folk tales where "dark elves" = "dwarves"

Tolkien's practically invented the "orc" out of a rare word that meant little more than "monster" in European folk tales and mythologies, and described them so vividly that a thousand less creative authors copied it into Standard Fantasy Orc.
PS: if you pay attention to what Tolkien wrote, you'll see they're usually not even copied well, because the original orcs of Middle-Earth are the most technologically advanced race. From the hobbit:
> They make no beautiful things, but they make many clever ones. It is not unlikely that they invented some of the machines that have since troubled the world, especially the ingenious devices for killing large numbers of people at once, for wheels and engines and explosives always delighted them.

Hurr phillip k dick is so speculative, i live in the age of the internet and masturbate to Tolkien's totally *unexceptional shit because he went to a war

Why is it that every attempt by neckbeards to write "original" fantasy sounds like the ramblings of a schizo?

Traditional storytelling just flows naturally in comparison

>The goddess of chaos isn't invited to a wedding and sends an apple addressed "to the fairest"
>To avoid a divine shitstorm a special shepherd boy in the mountains has to judge them
>He's offered power, glory, and love
>He chooses love and runs away with the wife of a powerful king
>King rallies his allies from all over the region and goes to war with the shepherd's people in their nearly impenetrable city
>The epic tale begins...

>A baby born to a slave race is sent away by his mother for his own safety
>He is miraculously discovered by the princess of his very oppressors and raised as her son
>Boy is raised as a prince and lives in luxury until he sees one of his own people getting beaten
>He intervenes and accidentally kills the overseer
>He flees to the desert to live among a tribe of herders
>One day while looking for a sheep he encounters the God of his true people who tells him to be his messenger and instrument on earth
>Destiny awaits him back home...

VS

>uh, there's 1000 worlds of magic dimensional planes between double spirit gods who created a world where everything is made of cheese on a subconscious level and there's 5 flying cities powered by psychic thought forms from the 2nd dimension ruled by different republics where everyone does handstands and worships the green gloob, oh yeah plus elves

Am I groundbreaking yet?