Whatever happened to classic fantasy? Nobody wants to play humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings any more...

Whatever happened to classic fantasy? Nobody wants to play humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings any more... they want to play characters straight from Deviant Art, like this...

>angelic choir singer of light, kitsune illusionist and foxfire pyromancer, dullahan gunslinger and spirit speaker, and graceful kirin doctor and swashbuckler working together to beat down the misguided fool trying to end the concept of nighttime and then make friends with the former villain over tea and cookies.

We all like classic fantasy races because they've got a strong legacy behind them, inspired by mythology... They make underdog heroes who beat impossible odds... fighting monsters and killing threats no man should reasonably be able to kill.

The classic races aren't defined by cheap gimmicks or WHAT they are... they're defined by WHO they are. They make believable, relatable characters we can all understand. We need relatable heroes we can cheer for in high fantasy... not demons. Not angels. Not spirits. Not fairies. Not kitsune...

In my experience, the ones who play things like kitsune and angels are always WORSE roleplayers than the ones who play dwarves and elves.

I've found that if you limit people to playing classic fantasy races, they'll think about their characters more and roleplay better... because restriction breeds creativity. When I DM, I restrict races to classic fantasy races, and even the bad players suddenly roleplay better.

Classic fantasy needs to be appreciated more... get back to the roots of it all, with humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings. Anyone else agree?

It's almost like players are partaking in some kind of fantasy...

A fantasy in which they believe and play in Outlandish and fanciful things...

And though it isn't mature or well developed, they're having fun with their rpg...

Maybe you're also a faggot.... :^|

>The classic races aren't defined by cheap gimmicks or WHAT they are...
They kinda are. I mean, when you think dwarf, you think stubborn strongman wielding a hammer or axe, not a middle-aged glassblower and father of three trying to come to terms with his eldest departing for a magic school, taking out the stress this causes on the party mascot and earning the admonishment of his friends.

this pasta is a blast from the past on multiple levels

>:^|
>does this shit
>calls other people faggots.

Cognitive dissonance in action, folks.

It's because of faggot culture and America's worship of the homosexuals and mentally ill.

As with many things right now you can lay the blame partially around identity politics. Well, to be more precise, the cultural issues we're all trying to work out that gave rise to identity politics anyway.

People nowadays feel that strength of character is no longer enough to change the world. They feel the only person that can affect things on a grand scale is someone who is amazing and special in some way. Its why superhero movies are so popular today too. Super people, objectively better in every way than the everyman, come to save us from our problems.

Identity politics are so popular because they allow you to separate yourself from the everyday normal masses. Some people are attracted to the idea that they gain special treatment and become somehow "morally better" by being a victim. Others are more attracted to the idea of their nation or race being objectively better, and so give rise to nationalism, and black and white supremacy.

Its an interesting zeitgeist, but I fear what it will do to us in the coming years.

As someone who goes through the archives to repost (You) filled shitposts. This is a reposted shitpost you can find on Sup/tg/.

Also fuck you OP, I planning on shitposting with that next week. Get out of my territory.

>copypasta shilled so hard so often even a newfag like me recognizes it
wew lad
It's because those combinations give a bunch of mechanical advantages and blah blah blah hipster culture grogarnism et cetera.
Seriously, stop posting this.

Half of those pre-date the entire genre of fantasy altogether.

Without being purged? Link?

weak b8 m8

Stale pasta is stale

OP is a faggot

Honestly, I don't hate that picture as much as I feel like I should.

It's been so long, should still be around. Just search for classic fantasy or classic fantasy autist on sup/tg/.

What's interesting about this pasta is that angels, kitsune, dullahan and kirins are far older and more mythological than pseudo-Tolkien elves and halflings.

> Whatever happened to classic fantasy?
Whatever happened to the VERY SAME THREAD with the VERY SAME PICTURE? And the one before that? And the one before that one?

>playing anything other than a proper and deeply flawed human

gets it/10

And the origin of these creatures in the role of a standard adventurer probably comes from a D&D splat book.

I'm 80% sure that this is b8, but I actually do agree. The stuff that made me hate fantasy and retreat to historical campaigns or at best some low-fantasy with only humans was what I called "WoW Syndrome."

It has to have coincided with World of Warcraft's rise, because before that it wasn't considered normal for anthromorphic pandas and minotaurs and lizard people to be playable races. The kitchen sink approach to fantasy is really deplorable, it saps the dignity out of everything in a way that is difficult to describe, but which reminds me conspicuously of Doctor Who.

I like settings where there are a small handful of races who all seem like they could have been offshoots of each other--elves, dwarves, halflings and humans fit that bill--and everything else is monstrous, ill-understood, and of course unplayable. Maybe Orcs also. Having monsters be relateable enough to humans to cooperate with them in civilization is missing the point entirely, D&D is quintessentially an Iron Age sort of fantasy, one in which peoples' idea of heroism is going out and killing things different from you and taking their stuff, braving the unknown, and gradually becoming aware of the bones of greater, older civilizations than your own.

That's what I like. What I don't like is this pastel-colored bullshit where minotaurs walking around in cities is normal but all the doors are still six feet tall. That drives me fucking crazy.

You know the real irony is that before WoW ruined it, Warcraft was the sort of fantasy I liked, it was simple. There were really only a few races from two lines--the humans/elves/dwarves and the orcs/goblins/ogres, who came from different worlds. The conflict was inevitable, and it made perfect sense, the lines were clearly drawn, and while things were a bit goofy, there was an element of dignity to it all.

And then you went from this to Mists of Pandara. That's basically the gist of my entire spiel, from Tolkien to Looking for Group.

So far as I recall, it was first posted around July of 2013. Could be wrong, though. In any case it's stale.

/pol/ please go.

user, this is an old shitpost made by someone who was either a really bored and dedicated troll, or someone who had a stick up his ass about alternate races and didn't have the balls to tell his players "these races only please"

Less trolled, more Elmore/B&W art please.

3.X and Pathfinder happened and lazy players saw these vastly expanded racial options and thought if they could play a new race their character would automatically become interesting when all that happened is they locked-in how lazy they were creatively.

And the best of shitposts all have a layer of truth/relatability.
Otherwise they wouldn't make gr8 b8 would th8

>errthang be warcrafts fault!!!

sounds like you just have a grudge against blizzard and are heaping all the "problems" with fantasy on them

It's a really strange event that you're talking about. I haven't tried to research it, so I can't understand it fully, but it seems like people look back at recent history for strong examples of people with willpower to change things, and instead of seeing a lot of positive examples, they see a lot of people who are considered bad. Ho Chi Minh spent a fair portion of his life working as a chef or taking pictures for tourists, but because of his strong character he ended up leading Vietnam to independence. Stalin was a poet, Hitler was a washed-up artist. Force of will is seen as something of a danger now, a way that people will manipulate the system to do evil, world-taking over things, stuff that CEOs and corrupt politicians would have. We don't have paladins anymore.

But that might all be bullshit anyway - I doubt that knowledge of history is really convincing people to turn away from traditional fantasy. I think traditional fantasy has just gotten old, outplayed, at least for most people. Now that it's been maybe a decade or so, there's a big of a longing for it again. I'm really hopeful that this will grow into something new and beautiful - not aping the past, but taking the best parts of it to make a new future, and being willing to try new things in moderation. No over the top big pauldron megasuperheroes, but good and bad people in a moderately realistic world - but not too gritty and grimdark.

I thought I recognized that post. Well, now I have an excuse to be proud of myself.

Hey OP, you posted in the wrong thread. Check the catalogue for the copypasta thread.

>we
>they
Who are you talking about?
Also, halflings are shit, orks master race.

I get elf players all the time, and they're usually shooting for being a special magical beautiful person who's super in touch with nature and lives the tragedy of outliving everyone.

Meanwhile, most dwarves I see are Urist Axebeard, drinker of ale, axe fighting, gold hoarding beardos.

The "classic" races aren't any better for encouraging creativity and character, and most people playing humans just play themselves to the letter.

Now excuse me, I have to get this hook out of my mouth.

This man is correct

>Get upset over emoticon.
>Ignore entire post.
>Acts like a YUGE faggot.

Here's your (You) ;^o

So glad we got rid of quests just for this thread to exist.

This threads did exist and will continue to exist, quests or not.

Random bullshit like this keeps things from being endless generals and other things that don't promote chaotic, creative responses and reactions.

So why did the jolly green girl eat blue man's dice? Is she retarded?

>Posting B^U
user, there's shitposting, there's ironic shitposting (that's still shitposting) and THEN there's posting B^U.

Do not post B^U.

Labryinth Lord and almost any OSR game out their are still being played by thousands of people, user.

I love the smell of pasta in the evening

honestly, Buckley's among the better lolsonerdy webcomic artists these days.

Let that sink in.

honestly, i'd take a comic about literally nothing happening made by transfat demihelicopterkin over B^U.

Alright, Explain to me. I know that comic and all the edits are bloody everywhere and they are pretty popular, but howbwe got there? Why is this so popular?

Stop playing RPGs with 15 year olds?

It was an amazingly dark turn in a comic that made up a gaming-relate holiday and had generally been silly, and it just wasn't executed well. People laugh at it to this day.

Oh sounds like fun reaction back then. Thanks.

The problem isn't politics or fashion or whatever you want to call it. Mainstream fantasy fiction is actually pretty gritty and down to earth these days if you care to look for it. Mainstream fantasy still has plenty of cheese and violence or other hurdidur "problematic" themes going on.

What happened was that fantasy role-playing games stopped being an extension of the general fantasy fandom, and became an extension of gaming culture.

It used to be something you played with a bunch of nerds who thought that having adventures like in the crummy old sword and sorcery stuff they read was cool as fuck. It was an outlet for the creativity you had, and the building blocks you had collected from fiction and movies, and anything was possible because it was all in your head.

Now, it's something that's frequently played by people who barely read but played 3000 hours of Blizzard games or approach it the same way as they do Magic the Gathering, or expect it to be like the anime they watched.

As a system where success relies on fighting the rules and or taking advantage of it's shortcomings to win.

This is why you have threads about "waaah this class is op" or "narrative games a shit" or my favourite "magic being better than stabbing stuff is a giant conspiracy by nerds to keep the fantasy jocks down" (rather than an extension of the internal logic of most settings.)

There are other settings than WoW or whatever giant pauldron festival you choose to have a gripe with, and there are great role-playing games that aren't dungeoncrawler sim 5.0

There are other fantasy novels than forgotten realms.

Fantasy is alive and well, in fact it's doing amazing. But if you're going to judge the entire fandom by the average forum role-player or obnoxious Veeky Forums thread, of course it's going to look like the sky is falling down.

I think there's a difference between gritty and down to earth and realism in characters, personally. You can have realistic characters in a world that is very different from our own, and without any real grittiness.

Otherwise I agree with the idea that it has all been heavily affected by pop culture and videogames and anime and all that other stuff that affects what people want out of the game coming in.

>Classic fantasy needs to be appreciated more

No.If it's not appreciated, it means it doesn't need to be appreciated more.

why does this stupid pasta bait work so well every time?

Whats crazy is that posting loss without posting loss is an art form.

Because you tumblrkids get offended when people ask why your nine dicked rainbow shitting unicorn is applicable in a euro based medieval game.

You sure are angry about something that's never actually happened to you.

Are you the same guy from those threads about the RPG books with the man in a dress?

In all seriousness, Dwarves are the absolute least interesting race in RPGs.

I disagree - Dwarves have a long established history and background, so there's a lot of depth to them that you can call upon in making a character.

I'd argue that 'newer' races like the Dragonborn are less interesting. Between 3.5 and 4e, there was a pretty large shift in their background, so they haven't really gotten to put down roots like even tieflings have.

I'd also argue goblins but I know a good few people will disagree with me there.

>so there's a lot of depth to them that you can call upon in making a character.
Problem being that with very few exceptions, all dwarves played are the same Urist McScottishaccent, stout and traditionally-minded warrior from under the mountain who likes ale.

to me zany Gnome types are the least interesting.

Elfaggot spotted.

Is that all you got to defend your literal neckbeard race?

With the quest threads gone I was a little worried we'd loose all our cancer.

NOPE, it's alive and well.
God bless pastas and sacks of disease that post them.