Luck now random not POW

Spend Luck to boost rolls

Build derived from SIZ+STR to determine damage bonus

Movement rate now derived from SIZ+DEX+STR

Revised way how aging influences characteristics

Occupational skill points not just EDU, depending on career

New chargen options

Backstory tables

Skill structure (less combat skills, better social skills, stealth)

Hard and easy skill challenges half or double the value

Push failed skill rolls with reason to reroll and suffer consequence if failed

Resistance is directly compared without table

Combat now opposed rolls > less misses > faster and deadlier

Combat maneuvers replaces grappling

Incapacitation now more likely > less instant death

Automatic fire revised

Healing and poisons revised

More optional combat rules

Chase rules

Sanity effects expanded, meta game options added

Spell list revised

Spell learning buffed

Spell outcomes revised

Monsters revised and restructured

Keeper advice

>2 Scenarios
Amidst the Ancient Trees (perfect for after The Haunting - see quickstart)

The Crimson Letters (Miskatonic University)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu#myfiles
blasphemoustomes.com/category/podcast/
cafpodcast.com/
theunspeakableoath.com/home/category/unspeakable/
chaosium.com/free-quick-start-pdf/
arcdream.com/home/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/
arcdream.com/pdf/Nemesis.pdf
yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
cthulhureborn.wordpress.com/
cthulhulives.org/toybox/propdocs/FreeProps.html
pelgranepress.com/trail/files/trail_of_cthulhu_condensed_rules.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=mHJl2V1sMxc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Does anyone have either the Masks of Nyarlahotep or the Compendium/Companion?

mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu#myfiles

>Podcasts
blasphemoustomes.com/category/podcast/
cafpodcast.com/
theunspeakableoath.com/home/category/unspeakable/

>Game rules
chaosium.com/free-quick-start-pdf/
arcdream.com/home/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/
arcdream.com/pdf/Nemesis.pdf

>Background and props
yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
cthulhureborn.wordpress.com/
cthulhulives.org/toybox/propdocs/FreeProps.html

>Hard and easy skill challenges half or double the value
That's new? I thought that was standard, or was it just in BRP (or somewhere else) and I just assumed it was in CoC?

I think it was BRP and CoC keepers always used it as a house rule. Might have been mentioned in earlier editions though, I didn't read them all.

I can bump this for a little longer.
I hope it's useful to someone...

If it wasn't stamped with my name, I could certainly help.

In terms of podcasts, Ken And Robin Talk About Stuff is also incredibly useful for Call of Cthulhu, even if it's not entirely focussed on the Mythos.

And if it's not just CoC but Mythosy games in general,

pelgranepress.com/trail/files/trail_of_cthulhu_condensed_rules.pdf

>I can bump this for a little longer.
Im gonna bump too.

So is CoC getting a reprint? Can I finally own a real life version of the system I love so much without paying out the ass for a copy online?

Indeed.

>paying out the ass for a copy online
You... you know torrents exists, right? Fuck, even here you can get copy for free if you ask nicely.

Having the physical copy on the shelf is a point of pride among enthusiasts. They sell out quickly though. And then the ebay price keeps going up and up. This may be unfamiliar to fans of DnD.

>trail_of_cthulhu_condensed
>PRESS [PLAY]

>Call_of_Cthulhu_quickstart
>PRESS [PLAY]
>ROLL DICE

Where the hell is that PDF from? Is it part of a series?

Yes. There's this pretty nifty website for collaborative knowledge. It's not just for Call of Cthulhu, there's all kinds of stuff. And they have a link on the page to download as PDF.

bump

Hey, I remember that.

let us suppose I was looking for earlier pdfs of COC, previous editions and sourcebooks, where might I hypothetically find these?

ignore me, the PDF thread exists.

I'm working on Laundry rules using DG and CoC as well as maybe Nemesis for inspiration. It'll be d100.

I have played the Laundry RPG for years and it is fine, but I have a milestone in the campaign coming up and want to use it to customize the rules for my group.

Sanity is a big topic. I like the mechanism of DG. It does split sanity up a bit but doesn't go all the way to the different Madness Meter tracks. That should provide mission instability without forcing character development. I love when it does, but this game isn't about that. So Bonds are out. Maybe something can replace them, but I don't know what.

The more interesting part is madness effects. The rules of many games have shifted toward a more meta approach and I can see why: playing out claustrophobia or mania isn't fun for more than 3 minutes. But involving the players' perception instead of the character's is. I think the ToC approach is a bit hamfisted, but I like the idea of having the other players act out the one character's sanity without their player knowing what it is. But it really gets interesting with the Bouts of Madness from CoC7. I especially like the idea of playing madness effects only after the character is alone, and not telling them what happened. "You wake up in your bed wearing your clothes and boots. They're all sticky with blood, but you don't find a scratch on yourself."

I also like the new skill resolution with Luck and Push. It's more ways for the characters to dig their own graves.

I haven't looked into the new CoC7 combat rules yet, but they sound interesting. Direct opposed rolls is definitely an improvement. And I also like DG's Kill Damage. If anyone has played combat in CoC7 or the new DG please report.

I'm also tempted to give the characters backstory. That could be a way to force character development I am perfectly fine with. And it could take the place of Bonds. It wouldn't necessarily affect current relationships but could reinterpret past events in the character's biography towards a more utilitarian spin.

It's a real picture of a civil defense drill in Poland iirc. But it always looked more like a Pink Floyd cover to me. And when you've seen The Empty Child it gets a fun context.

>sutter cane

Did anybody else think that movie was awful? Basically goosebumps.

Recently I completed what I like to call a Patchwork Campaign, something which I’m sure many other Keepers have run in the past and was wondering about getting some feedback on improving these sorts of campaign’s. The basic concept behind this sort of campaign is to take several smaller one-shot scenario’s and edit them so that they create a single story. Typically, this is done by changing the monsters or MacGuffin of all three scenarios to the same thing.

For example, my latest campaign combined 7th Ed’s Crimson Letters, 6th Ed’s Heart of Darkness and Mansions of Madness Mr. Corbitt with Lovecraft’s story From Beyond.
This campaign started with Crimson Letter, and changed the normal MacGuffin book into blue prints for a Tillinghast Resonator. I also replaced the villain from a ghoul into a wizard with an over stimulated pineal gland.
As the players investigated the main Professor Character they discovered the plot hook box from Heart of Darkness. That scenario remained pretty much the same with the exception that the magical ritual in the original story was replaced with the construction of a prototype Resonator.
Further investigation led them to house of Mr. Corbitt who had perfected the Resonator and was using it for his own evil purposes. Although this scenario was heavily modified.

So my questions are, have you ever run a campaign like this before?
What scenarios did you stitch together?
How did it turn out?
What sort of advice you give to other keepers trying to do this sort of thing.

>that movie was awful
Do you mean In the Mouth of Madness?
youtube.com/watch?v=mHJl2V1sMxc
Awful is a bit harsh imo.
Certainly not perfect but it was entertaining enough.

I do this with Shotgun scenarios, which is kind of what they're made for. They're vague and unfinished enough to fit into virtually any context, yet defined enough to deliver flavor and interesting challenges.

In CoC I'm a fan of one shots. Characters get too savvy with a bunch of adventures under their belt. And you have to inflate their sanity.

Also CoC modules are best suited to characters written for them. You want an Egyptologist to explore pyramid tombs. Languages have to fit the setting. A librarian is of little use in the jungle. A gangster at Miskatonic would be out of place. Sailors and pilots are great, as long as you have a boat or plane, and travel.

I was thinking of doing something like that.
The idea was to have the same fiendish "not-Fu Manchu" villain featuring in all the scenarios (probably by proxies, behind the scenes or just rumors) and his schemes being foiled (or not) by the investigators.

Shotgun scenarios?
What are some good resources to find these?

Yeah I've run things like this before, it's my main way of running campaigns. Usually I can't get a group to commit to a longer campaign, the one time I tried (HotOE) it fizzled out. But I run long series of linked one-shots.

The biggest help is having a very large collection of scenarios to draw from and not being afraid to homebrew one to tie them together. Sometimes the changes to individual scenarios start adding up so much that you may as well just start over (I found this when trying to make Canis Mysterium less stupid.)

Picking a couple scenarios with common themes is the best thing. Then you can change the mythos elements to fit, as long as they seem like they could be from the same story they often seem to fit together well.

I like to start with the last of the series and make a list of what needs foreshadowing and go in reverse order, noting when to foreshadow and what new things need it.