Parnatha: light rpg, economic, adventure, dungeoneering city building...

Parnatha: light rpg, economic, adventure, dungeoneering city building, god worshipping Minecraft Server with Veeky Forums. I'm considering posting on /v/, but I don't think we want that kind of people...

SERVER IP: s9.hosthorde.com:26011

It's been a week so here goes again.

Recent Changes / Additions:

-Using the latest version of MCore and Factions again.

-Finally tweaked tags in chat so your faction appears before your name.

-Installed CustomMobs, but the newest update appears to be bugged. May need to hold off until Dev gets a hotfix. But expect fully custom mobs by biome soon.

looks like Merchantree has found the Deepglow Lightstone mines and captured them.

Harlensque,

The Coastal Staircase Kingdom.

We've had a few threads about Minecraft servers recently, can someone give me a tl;dr of all these mods?

I keep reading about economies, factions, and regions.

I last played properly in the early Beta days, when multiplayer was first becoming a thing.

Can I just explore and dig and build stuff, or do these mods make the game work differently?

the one thing that will effect runnin' around building is factions, as you can only build and dig in your own factions area, but thats what the commonlands are for. even then outside of faction territories you can just play like its adventure mode.

other than that not much affects anything.

Surely!

First off, Parnatha is modless, its all run by "plugins" which are on the server side. So you need not install anything on your client.

Other servers may actually be modded, I don't know.

The plugins we have that matter are 2:

-Factions:

This plugin allows you to team up with other people (at least 1 other is required on Parnatha to make a faction) and claim an area of land that belongs to only you. Other people cannot add or destroy blocks in this region, and you get a centralized "home" block that you always spawn back at instead of your last bed.

-Capture Points:

This plugin allows me as the server owner to place captureable industries around the word map (lumber mills, stone quarries, sheep farms) that players can capture for their faction. Each day these industry points accumulate their resource (wood for lumber mill, stone for quarry, etc) and allow you to collect that accumulation. These points can be taken by other factions from you though.

Other than these, we don't use any game changing plugins. Our economy is all made with gold and custom villager trades.

Give it a log in and try it out if you're interested. The world map is gorgeous.

from spaaace!

sound cool, but are there some sort of organization?

Do you mean Factions, GM's... c'mon buddy elaborate a bit

Yeah so we have factions, which allow you to organize yourself with like-minded players.

Otherwise I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

The server is beautiful but get a fucking name plugin at least, goddamn. I know this isn't heavy RP but if you're advertising on Veeky Forums there ought to be at least some sort of roleplaying utilities.

I believe our chat plugin DOES support nicknames... you just need to be part of a faction.

What are the big factions at the moment? Are factions at all serious/themed (knight orders?; religious groups?; merchant leagues?) or are they just groups of friends fucking around as 'The Dicksmacks' or 'The Grief Masters' and whatever?

The biggest factions are:

Merchantree, a group of traders and ambitious folks.

Dwarves (totally just humans that look like dwarves and live in a mountain stronghold)

Eraveth, a coastal valley folk,

Harlensque, theyve got some big stairs.

One of the server rules is literally, "No ridiculous faction names" so dicksmacks and grief masters would be not good. But not everyone is super serious. We have fun in server chat, and you aren't required to talk IC.

Its exactly between Hardcore RP and goof off status, somewhere in the middle.

Alrighty. In that case I think I'll try and start up some sort of hardcore religious order but not too hardcore because no one wants to have to put up with dicks who do nothing but scream about heresy and purging.

Hop on in. We'd love to see that. You can even be hardcore about it if you want.

There's even temples to gods already that you can worship, enough worship gives you faith points, when you get enough you can become blessed by your god with status buffs and such.

Are the gods available from the beginning or do they have to be discovered on the map like capture points? Would you prefer players stuck to the gods you guys have set up, rather than making their own - or, if players do stick with the already established gods, can they make up any lore about them (obviously i'm not going to write a novel seeing as this is 'light rpg')? I was thinking of starting up some kind of unnerving star worshiping cult.

>reflections
>skybox
How is this rendered?

would be a good contrast to the existing religious order who doesn't do too much religious wise but builds up their cathedral's n' shit like a fort in case of deus vult.

Oh man I was also planning on building cathedrals and chuches up like forts, and giving them twisting dungeons. What's the current religious order like? If there's already something I might get in on that rather than starting a new faction.

The god's shrines are scattered around the map. Some are easier to find than others.

You're free to create your own deities, but they wont have actual game benefits to worshiping like the currently configured pantheon. As for lore, all the gods basically have a portfolio and a few defining traits, the rest is up to the players to decide how they interpret their god.

Chunky :)
external program.

So far no one is really that Devout. Eraveth worship the eastern wind god Mu. Otherwise most people are more capitalistic so far than spiritual.

Harlensque, in addition to its big stairs, is based on sun and moon worship. we've pretty much just gotten through 70% of the labor done for the grand cathedral, with a goal of having a minor chapel in some other faction bases as embassies. most of the time we just build, talk shit, plan then re plan the layout of the place, and occasionally actually do things.

religious wise i've yet to re-write the holy texts we had in the last version of Parnatha but i'll look at getting that done tommorow or the day after, as unfortunately for everyone else Harlensque is run by Aussies.

Guess it's time to crank up the religious intolerance then.

I'll have to check out your stuff for inspiration. If I go ahead with the worshipping the stars/night sky then maybe we could get some interesting interaction going with opposing views of the moon.

Hail all, I am the King of the Dwarven faction. We're a group of people who have adopted the ways of the mythological dwarves most believe never existed but we know have gone extinct long ago. Though forgotten by most men, we have worked hard to recreate their lost civilization.
Although a few of the other dwarves have helped me with building, I myself have designed most of the fortress.
We have multiple projects that need completion and I would love some fresh blood to help build it up faster. We have an entire mountain to work with and I'd love to fill it with defensive structures and buildings.
Adram I'd love to see some pics of the dorf fort with the shaders you're using.

"Adra, can you take a dump on my screenshots"
-Slash Harkiri

you are a greasy shyster Adra but i love 'ya.

thatsabigstaircaseteenagegirlslaughing.jpg

i love how we are just trivialized into the place with the big staircase.

at least now that the cathedral is close to done we can start working on city-building. y'might be able to see in the map where i'm starting to flatten out some land for civilian buildings

fuck, no screenshot

As a MerchanTree member, I can confirm that we are close to opening up our multitude of shops with some already in construction.

First official server treaty signing!

All incoming members, be sure to consider joining Aqua.

We're a peaceful faction residing in a large body of water south of the commonlands who are focused on building and exploring.

^^^ Aqua

Which one is the griefing faction?

The base is still very unfinished, but progress is quick.
All types of people are welcome by the way, building skills aren't necessary

There is no griefing faction..

So, outside of Factioned areas, its adventure mode, aka no block destruction? Or normal survival mode?

its survival mode with block edit turned off, so more adventury. Installing a plugin so you can still use a crafting table.

Wait...
So each tribe only has the blocks in their zone to harvest?

Yep. Its a little different, but it stimulates trade, theres cities to buy and sell goods in, plus capture points to accumulate daily income as well ala Heroes of might and magic.

THE DWARVES ENTRANCE! (wip)

God, If I'd known you were going to take pics I would have looked towards you instead of at a wall XD

God dammit! another one of me!?! When the fuck did you take this? You really are a god damn Slime you know that XD

Anyone want to help me get a faction of star/night sky worshipping cultists off the ground? Found the perfect spot for an evil cathedral/observatory but I can't start claiming land until I've got at least two people in the faction.

I wouldn't mind helping form some sort of theocracy to get an inquisition-sort of deal going. But I don't know the deities of the place that well, or how active I could be on the game.

My plan is to spend a lot of time acting holier-than-thou and conducting weird astronomy rituals rather than crusading against the nn-believers 24/7, but there'll definitely be some inquisitorial stff going on. I don't know the gods very well either, but it doesn't matter - we're free to make up our own pantheon. The only difference is worshipping one of the pre-established server gods can net you some sort of buff if you're diligent enough. However, we could always try and incorporate (an interpretation of) one of the server gods into our own pantheon. For example, there's a moon god(des?) which would obviously fit in with the night sky thing.

Even if you're not on the server incredibly often, if you could bare to get on the server quickly just to join the faction so I could actually make a start on building stuff I'd be indebted to you.

I'm decent at creative building and love gothic and some older style cathedrals if you'd like an architect whose only around to autistically build a few things then almost never be around.

You might need to supply me with some basic resources so that I can build it.

Would love that if you think you can not burn out.

It'll be through bursts, and I have a heavy course coming up so I might disapear for a time. Just shoot me some information [email protected] and I'll probably be on for an hour or two tonight.

whats your IGN?

Detrocto

that building's face id hilarious

you built it up! sorry I (poke) wasn't there for a while. I'll probably come on a lot more now.

What version is the server?

Question about Gods and their Temples:
will each god only ever have one big temple, or will it be possible for devout followers to build their own shrines to worship and make sacrifice at within their factions?
Similarly, will it be possible for players to bring up and create their own gods for the world pantheon (with Admin approval obviously)?

Its something to consider, but I have to rig all the god mechanics with status effects and divine powers, and there's only so much i can do with minecraft.

I gotta sleep though, if you can bump overnight, I'll post again in the morning.

Our new cathedral tower monastery observatory thing is well underway. The server default resource pack really lends itself to darker style.

Currently there is no Nether nor End, and Adram had stated that the release of those two custom-made worlds it will bring new gods.
I'd love some sort of god creation system, where you can customize the benefits to fit the nature of your faith, but Adram is right that there is a limit to what can be done without breaking the game.

>god creation system
I believe in you. this could be amazing. think of all the cults... I hope this is possible...

Son of a Bitch. didn't notice the face till you pointed it out. thats going to be hard to ignore from now on.

sorta wish it was possible to make underground maps, as i'm planning and working on having a sewer system underneath the city.

>Wait...
>So each tribe only has the blocks in their zone to harvest?
>Yep. Its a little different, but it stimulates trade, theres cities to buy and sell goods in, plus capture points to accumulate daily income as well ala Heroes of might and magic.
Plus you can still kill mobs to collect their drops.

you can always just culturally appropriate gods as 'yer own if the god creation thing doesn't work out