Say something you hate of a system/game that you love

Say something you hate of a system/game that you love.

Say something you love of a system/game that you hate.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V9xLoTXC5fk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Ars Magica
You will dread botching a spell as much as your character does, as you roll 4 checks and compare to a table of time v warping score to resolve how fucked you are. Also all the forms use the accusative case, as they should, except for corpus(should be corporem)

>Savage Worlds
Nice clean generic system, simple to learn and easy to hack.

I live 3.5, but I hate most of its classes, especially in the PhB. Fighers, Rogues, and Monks are fine as concepts, but poor as classes.

I hate 4e, but I love that they supported almost all their classes. Everything is Core should be a guiding principle for all games.

>Chronicles of Darkness
Introducing un-resisted "this just happens" things. Like Primal Fury.

>40K RPG
It's a nice setting.

>5E DND
It's really easy to let 3.5 nards just assume it's 3.5: version 2 if you aren't careful.

>Dungeon World
It's great for one shots and for drop in replacement games if someone is missing.

>Demilich-kun
Murray?
youtube.com/watch?v=V9xLoTXC5fk

>BRP
The number of skills can sometimes get out of hand.

>3.pf
I can leave the table, but in all seriousness unified mechanic for skills/attack/saving throws.

>D&D 5E
Not as elegant as it could have been. Archetypes are cool, but there are still a lot of classes that should have just been archetypes.
>D&D 3.5E
this

>Champions
So easy to screw up and make a incredibly useless or overpowered character if not everyone makes their sheets at the same time.

>GURPS
Good as a generic system for ANYTHING.

Exalted:
It's bloaty and takes decades for a full game line to be released.

Pathfinder:
I like kineticists a lot.

>D&D 5E
Oh, and also, the clever new saving throw system still kind of boils down to reflex/fort/will, because STR, INT, and CHA saves are so rare compared to the others. Of course, this can be houseruled: I consider save vs. fear and other "resist this emotion through willpower" WIS saves CHA saves instead. This has the side effect of making the Paladin super brave!

Exalted: takes forever to come out and it seems like only the kickstarted edition ever got an actual playtest.

Legends of the Wulin gives unlimited character creativity and an open world to do anything in.

I hate how in Shadowrun, the better at a skill you get, the less chance you have of doing amazingly well at it.

I like how Dungeon World at least tries to focus on story.

This is my favorite thread desu

>dungeon world
A DC or opposed roll every now and then would be nice. (Hence why I have houserules for both, also situational mods).

>Eclipse Phase
Hawt damn that setting has a lot of polish but I dunno how you take something like Fantasy Flight's skeleton and make it MORE granular and autistic.

>4e dnd
The power card system tends to make people forget that they can improvise and just try and do things. This isn't a problem in combat because 4e was built for fun combat, but out of combat it can turn players into useless turds until you get them into the groove of it.

>3.5 dnd
The players handbook had a great art style and the monster manual had fun fluff descriptions of its monsters.

I did lots of stuff to improvise, both in and out of combat, and 4e was my first game. Maybe it had more to do with what my DM encouraged, but I was always trying improvisational things.

I love Legends of the Wulin, but it does itself no favours in creating a huge barrier to entry. Between poetic language, arbitrary names for mechanical concepts and a truly awful editing job, it's a great system which is a monumental bitch to learn and where figuring out what the rules actually are is an ongoing struggle.

Pathfinder, for all its faults, has a refreshingly forward thinking element to its fluff and adventures, even if I'd prefer it also applied that idea to its mechanics. The treatment of racially diverse characters, trans characters and other such things is laudable, adding to the game without being overly focused on. When your games only selling point is diversity, it's probably a shit game, but if there's not a compelling reason not to do it (i.e. it's fine if all people are white in a game set in Valhalla) then it's a good thing.

Degenesis: Non-existant online community unless you want to learn german.

Dark Heresy: Good fun to try and have fun in, subvert the full grimdark setting and see 'normal' life in the Imperium.

>4e
Numbers bloat/feat taxes. Sense of progression is good, but those are really boring ways to do it (and it took a long time for WotC to even do it well, mathematically).

>GURPS
3d6, roll under is such a beautiful, simple, bell-curved dice mechanic, holy fuck. Better than pools and orders of magnitude better than d20.

>3d6, roll under is such a beautiful, simple, bell-curved dice mechanic, holy fuck. Better than pools and orders of magnitude better than d20.

This.
A thousand times this.
Flat probability is cancer.
Even FATE with it's mechanics skewing EXTREMELY hard towards the statistical probability is better.

Flat probability is not implicitly inferior than skewed probability. It's a trait of a system which lends itself to the kind of story and setting its suitable for.

For a more down to earth game, in a setting with a focus on 'realism' or authenticity, it makes sense. It creates reliable, dependable outcomes, and ensures that extreme luck is rarely a factor.

This is not a better option for an over the top, heroic sword and sorcery game. In those cases, skewed probability actually adds to the theme, creating those amazing moments and keeping everything tense.

Although this is without getting into weird probability stuff like roll and keep or whatever the hell you'd describe LotW as.

>5e
While the possibilities for roleplaying are fairly open, the various schools and archetypes are sort of lacking and the inability to make a generalist wizard that's still useful is obnoxious.

>4e
Support for all the various classes and races which made possibilities for character nearly endless,

>This is not a better option for an over the top, heroic sword and sorcery game. In those cases, skewed probability actually adds to the theme, creating those amazing moments and keeping everything tense.

You have this backwards, if I'm not mistaken. Flat, uniform probability means that extreme success is just as likely as extreme failure, ie D20. A curved distribution a la GURPS leads to the reliable, dependable outcomes you describe.

Traveller combat leaves really little space for errors if the players aren't soldiers in heavy armor and boils down to who can hit first.

I like Dragonlance for the memories it gave me.

40k RPGs
Character progression is shit. Like, for fuck's sake.

>Cthulhutech
The main idea of humanity fighting back against eldritch horrors is awesome.

Constant big failures and big successes are way better for heroic over the top games. Reliable outcomes are boring, which can kill those kind of games.

>Mutants and Masterminds
It's really, really breakable.
>D&D 3.5
A huge number of options.

>Monsterhearts
I'm not the biggest fan of teenage bullshit

>Tremulus
Love the Ebon Eaves playset, would definitely use it for a horror game (in a different system though)

>You have this backwards, if I'm not mistaken. Flat, uniform probability means that extreme success is just as likely as extreme failure, ie D20. A curved distribution a la GURPS leads to the reliable, dependable outcomes you describe.

So, tell me, which has a more reliable chance of success?

Hitting a target number of 10+ on a d20, or hitting a target number of 15+ on a 3d6?

Seems like the d20 has a considerably more reliable chance of success. Weird how that happens, huh?

People try to use the Apocalypse World engine for everything with minimal thought.

Rifts has some cool art.

>Degenesis

I'll never play it because 1) Nobody has ever heard of it 2) nobody wants to shell out the dough 3) it's not D&D

>Chtulhutech

The core concepts of the setting are pretty cool. Like, it's a good elevator pitch. Shame about the rest of it.

>Say something you hate of a system/game that you love.
Mutants and Masterminds 3e is a huge departure from its d20 roots to the point it's barely recognizable as a d20 System game, however it's held back by a lot of those remaining d20 legacy mechanics and needs to go whole hog in ditching the d20 system. Powers all having universal costs would have been a good idea if they didn't fuck it up with a ton of fiddly variable priced modifiers, the GM also has to watch players like a hawk during character creation, and it's incredibly difficult to make a character without some kind of software.

>Say something you love of a system/game that you hate.
Pathfinder.... Uh.....
Fate puts a lot of focus on the story and takes a lot of work out of the DMs hands, I like the idea of players playing an active role in the storytelling instead of simply reacting to things.

>Shadow of the Demon Lord

I kinda wish it had a skill system. Or at least a more concrete one. The game is designed to be simple and everything else is the "really well thought out and elegant" type of simple, where your professions feel sort of handwaved. Oh, and I wish it explained the fact that you get X castings of each individual spell you know per power level, not that *level* of spell. But maybe that's my background in 3.5 coloring my expectations.

>4e

It's perfect as "Baby's First RPG."

D&D
Vancian magic is utter drivel

4th Edition D&D seems pretty accessible and easy to play.

oh man I love these

it's been a while since Veeky Forums has done one

>goatse
>no ring
>all around me are familiar faces
>worn out places
>worn out faces

>FATE
pic related
>Dungeon World
It's a "babby's first RPG" that actually teaches good habits to both players and the GM. I can't stand it but I respect the crap out of it for that reason alone

>Hitting a target number of 10+ on a d20, or hitting a target number of 15+ on a 3d6?
I don't understand why you're comparing those odds. Wouldn't the equivalent to rolling a 10 or higher on a d20 be about the same as rolling above a 10 with 3d6? As far as I can tell, those are even odds. Why would you compare a d20 beating 10 to 3d6 beating 15? That doesn't appear to have anything to do with how those rolls work.

If you were comparing the odds of rolling a 15 or higher on a d20 versus rolling a 15 or higher with 3d6, now, I'm pretty sure in THAT case the d20 would win. Did you just get mixed up?

And someone else says in the first response what I was going to say, for both systems.

I specifically chose those target numbers to illustrate that "reliability" is an illusion relative to the target numbers being used.

A d20 can provide more "dependable" odds of successes or failures simply by adjusting where the target numbers is, with each step easily understood as adjusting the odds by 5%. If you want players to hit targets more reliably, lower the target numbers. Fail more often? Raise them.

Similarly, 3d6 can be adjusted to provide more or less consistent success or failure, but not quite as readily, since the central results are within a smaller degree of variance from each other than the outlying results, making it finicky to adjust, with moving between the central results having neglible effects while moving between the outliers having dramatic ones.

Oh, I see. That makes sense, thank you.

GURPS is roll under.

Time to play 5e

>Anima: Beyond Fantasy
The instant association of it with Weaboos(not entirely unfounded), and the terrible translation job whoever Fantasy Flights hired did.
>D&D
It's gotten me friends.

>Old World of Darkness
The combat is clunky and hard to get down, not to mention easily broken with multiple actions. The lore can get a bit silly, and while I love the 90's edginess of it all, it can get a bit too self-conscious.
>Beast: the Primordial
The idea was nice. Some of the powers and splats were nice. The presentation, editing, balance, clarity, moral conflicts and general sociopolitical preachiness was what made it an utter waste of words.

>Likes Exalted
>Hates LoTW

How is it humanly possible to have such shit taste in systems?