My GM doesn't understand how prepared casters work so while my party fights off a hoard of kobolds I am stuck spending...

My GM doesn't understand how prepared casters work so while my party fights off a hoard of kobolds I am stuck spending the next forty rounds preparing my daily spells having just recovered my stolen spellbook.

Ask me whatever in real time.

I thought wizards were tier 1 gods?

How the hell did you let your spellbook get stolen?

I'm not sure what system, but check if your class is allowed to use any ranged weapons. Usually darts or slingshot should be kosher. Get some on nearest opportunity.

Not when we use all our spells, get knocked unconcious, have our spellbooks stolen, and then only get them back when combat starts.

Who had stealed your book? Or was that just the DM excuse for ignoring your spells? On other note, find a better DM.

I don't see the problem. A wizard without spellbook is by definition not prepared.

The whole party had their gear stripped then got it back immedieatly before combat with a fuckton of kobolds started. So I'm stuck hiding behind a corner studying while the fighters take care of things. Normally I'd be wrecking shit but here we are.

bawawawawawawaw for ONE ENCOUNTER I was useless baawawawaaw

The problem is I've been sitting here for the last three hours incapable of doing anything whatsoever and I'm kind of bored so I started a thread on Veeky Forums.

This must be how martials feel on a regular basis.

>studying in the middle of a battle

Throw a rock if you have nothing better to do.

It seems like you don't understand arcane casters.

Why would you choose now to prepare your spells? Are you a goon? If you're low level, you can do more in combat by hitting an enemy every other round.

Why wouldn't you beat a hasty retreat?

Since your GM likes creative houserules, Ask your DM if you can prepare one spell in five rounds. Make it the exact spell you need.

Hell, you could just go invisible and tell them to retreat while you prep the rest of them.

What's your dexterity? Maybe you could postpone preptime and start throwing rocks at least?

Aaaaaannnd The GM has ended the session in the middle of the encounter. Good. I love Roll20.

I don't think he chose now. I think the DM had his spellbook stolen while he was asleep, and he got woken up with combat.

You are correct.

Right, but he wasn't forced to prepare spells. He has other options.

I'd still allow a prepared list in 5e, plus the effects of a short rest's worth of recovery in the context.

And this is why, for however much Veeky Forums likes to rant and rave about wizards, you're better off playing a Cleric, Druid, or Sorcerer.

Cleric and Druid can hold their own without spells, and are just as strong as a wizard.

A sorcerer with eschew materials will be quite reliable compared to a wizard, and is harder for the GM to screw over.

You're the one who chose to sit down and do nothing instead of getting involved in the fight. There are tons of things you can do that don't involve spellcasting. Don't whine because you've decided to write yourself out of the fight just because you wouldn't be the most powerful thing on the battlefield without your spells.

Yeah, but that works in 5e because prepared casting is fundamentally different in 5e.

A wizard played as a tiny arcane god, barring GM fiat, being massively outplanned, or player error, should never be without the needed spells to say "Fuck this I'll be back in 8" as an absolute minimum. Once divination goes from "crapshoot" to "omniscience", being outplanned becomes player error.

this.

you realize once you get to that part of the game the enemy has the same shit you do if not better yes? If your arguement is wizards are unstoppable then your arguement is that the big bad evil wizard wins, and any dm who doesn't serve the party their game over is bad.

>barring GM fiat

Which was my entire point. It's much more common for GMs to screw over Wizards (and by extension the rest of the party) by magically having them wake up without gear.

In those scenarios, being a caster that doesn't need a spellbook or materials is incredibly useful. It's not as though you lose much power by going for Cleric or Druid instead.

Did you suddenly forget the shit you prepared beforehand?

A proper fight between two tier-1 wizards at meaningful level should always end in a draw as one or both decide "fuck this I'm out" unless one or both make the mistake of engaging an equal or superior foe.

Wow, no wonder martialfags are so butthurt if this is how it is for them on a daily basis.

It's even worse, because they spend all their time up until the realization thinking they're numba won and that they mattered, then it all gets torn down around them and they realize that a series of low fences could have done their job better.

I never heard of that one.

How are low fences better?

Slow down foes that would rather be beating up the nerds in dresses?

What I never understand is that in the "wizards are insanely overpowered beings that make all other classes obsolete," is how unfair it makes the game for the wizard. In these scenarios, it would be understood that the first thing for any enemy to do is to kill the wizard, which would lead to a lot of angry threads on Veeky Forums about how my DM keeps killing every wizard I make, and every battle starts with my wizard getting dropped to the negatives and then having to sit out the rest of the fight or something.

Makes sense, isn't there a spell that can basically summon walls?

I know I saw it somewhere in the Pathfinder spell list.

Welcome to D&D.

Either the wizard is shitting all over the GM's plans or the wizard is being geeked at every opportunity to the point where he's unconscious every other encounter.

Exactly why it's a terribly designed class. It's either so effective as to render everything else pointless, or gets hit before it can react and thus is completely ineffectual, and that's only early on before you have enough spells to use for proper protection.

It basically boils down to a coin toss as to whether you'll break the game with the standard rules, or if the GM will have to essentially bully you in order to keep you on par with the rabble.

This is why smart low level wizards buy a crossbow in addition to their starting equipment

In fact Druid is pretty much a-okay with the situation where the party gets their equipment stolen.

Dozens, actually. All extremely powerful.

Even before the time you get up to Wall of Force, you're at the point where you can say "this random encounter table sucks, we're just running into walls". And then Wall of Force lets you literally say no to the vast majority of encounters and there's jackshit anybody can do about it.

what system/edition?

I don't even have the ability to belittle or berate you/your DM properly until I know at least that much.

Why is wizard considered the master race when clerics and druids exist?

if its the same day, then yes, your DM is retarded. However if it isn't the same day as when you prepared your spells, you bet your ass you have to spend time to allocate spells.

Always have a backup weapon for this situation.

>They don't play Abjurers

WE ARE BUILDING A WALL, AND WE ARE MAKING MARTIALS PAY FOR IT.

No offensive cantrips? SHAME. No offhand weapons? SHAME.

Because while clerics and druids are better adventurers, wizards are better at raping the entire setting.

Basically, clerics and druids are the martials of tier 1: very awesome at one (extremely broad) thing (adventuring), but not so much the rest of tier 1's activities.

Why did you need your spellbook? You just need that to change what spells you have in your slots. You can still "prepare" them without it.

Depending on the system, spellbooks can cost just 10GP, while scribing the spell costs 10 GP too.

Cut two pages out of your books, and simply hide two spells in your shoes for emergencies like this. Put a few more in your other gear too.

Another good option is to get some tattoos of that shit, just in case.