What are some settings/campaigns you always wanted to run or play, but never had an opportunity to?

What are some settings/campaigns you always wanted to run or play, but never had an opportunity to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NfynRD895oo
youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17379345/#17394787),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it sad that I really really want to play a pokemon game and have it be about actual adventures in a pokemon world instead of just time-consuming after time-consuming battles all the time. Even if the combat were extremely light though, finding a way to boil down the game mechanics into something that would work in tabletop game is ridiculously hard, especially when it comes to stats and damage-calculations... not mention many of the "best" strategies in the current competitive meta aren't very exciting or cinematic. "Hey! Lets switch our pokemon every turn until Stealth Rock kills one of our teams via sheer attrition!"

My shitty alternate history setting some roman scholars traveled to China and came back with blackpowder gun and canon schematics they thought up and Scandinavian tribes uniting and inventing proper steel and have them (Gunpowder SPQR and Scandinavia with their steel) deadlocked and the players would choose a side and try to steal the secrets of one side or the other.

>Conan
The real one, not the one based on films. Don't get me wrong, the one from films is still highly entertaining, but I want to play the one from the stories.

>Alpha Centauri
To be specific - mid-tier tech of it. I was able to play entire campaigns set in early stages of colonisation and bunch of late colonisation ones, with tech on verge of being pretty much magic... but I never had a chance to play the most interesting part of it, the one soon after implementation of fusion power and first true AIs.

>Witcher
Come on, the setting from short stories is absolutely great for one-off scenarios or just wandering around. And everyone wants to just rip-off vidya and grim-derpness.

>Expedition to Barrier Peaks
It would need to be either one-off or getting competent people to play that are more interested with the story than ability to drive out of the ship with solar-powered armoured cart loaded with laser weapons, power armours and liquid soap

Post apoc, basically Mad Max but with tanks everywhere instead of cars.

The tank commanders act like knights, their tanks are their 'steeds' and the crew are like their squires.

So basically Tank Girl: The RPG?

a fallout rpg.

Go try Neuroshima. Nice post-apo kitchen sink on the fluff side, but then again, the crunch is god-awful piece of shit

An Initial D campaign.
Players have to race their way to the top! AND BACK DOWN THE MOUNTAIN AGAIN!

There is a fallout rpg system based on the two original fallouts. I did run a campaign in it and honestly I think it was one of the best campaigns I ever had. A bit over the top and crazy, but after all fallout is a bit like that.

The crunch of the game however is clearly unpolished semi-transition between cRPG and actual tabletop rules, so it takes more Maths than truly required.

Glorantha

You ever play Battletanx on the N64? It's pretty similar.

Dark Heresy, Adepta Sororitas only, Maximum Flamers, Final Destination

>>Alpha Centauri
Lucky you for having a chance to play it at all

Eberron. I've played in most other major D&D settings, Eberron always stood out to me as interesting and somewhere I'd love to play in.

Paranoia, SLA Industries, Mutant Year One, Degenesis, various homebrew...the feels man. Why you make me remember?!? :(((

>tfw was so close to actually getting to GM Degenesis

If only my group cared as much as I did.

Post-apocalyptic fantasy where players awaken in absolutely grimderp and deadly ashes of the old world and work to rebuild civilization, find out what the hell caused the apocalypse and try to somehow unfuck it, at least partially.

>Grimderp
I'm not sure you fully grasp the difference between grim-dark and grimderp

By using that I meant that rather than just being gritty, it's so over-the-top apocalptic that "realistically" nothing should survive.

Morrowind
Or the one I'm still making

Blue Rose.

i always wanted to do a sandbox call of cthulhu campaign set in a small new england town

If you ever do run one, don't do what my GM did. Power armor and plasma casters are not early game equipment. Even if I am BoS.

He just... handed me a suit of PA and a plasma caster in the first game. I was essentially Iron Man for the duration of the second session. We sang the song and everything.

There was some user around here working on a Soulsborne inspired system where the players were all robots waking up in a now empty Utopian city. I had a working character concept all drawn up and everything but that user vanished off the board back in February.

Read "The Postman"
You don't need to be over-the-top to pull this, remain (somewhat) light-hearted and yet being gritty af.

Yes, read, not watch. The book is probably the best post-apo ever created, since it managed to top even "I am legend" with vicious deconstruction of entire genre of post-apo.
Simply by putting the entire story from the perspective of all those people that are normally a background for some nihilistic badasses and almighty raiders. Thus achieving new heights of grim-dark with simple switch of perspective and pointing out how fucking awful such world would be.

Yea, I wonder what happened to the Soulsborne project. I had high hopes for that.

Maybe you should give your GM other Fallout than F4?
I mean... why not F2, where you start with a spear and maybe a flint to make it sharp, but that's when you are smart enough to figure it out.

My n'wah!

Always wanted to do an all bard, wandering Troubadour band sort of campaign. Anyone else tried it?

Reach Heaven Through Violence my friend.
The ending of the words is Almsivi

This game happened years before FO4 was even announced. We were escaping from an Enclave bunker somewhere in Cali and we happened to stumble into their armory during the escape attempt. He said there was an old retrofitted suit of power armor sitting in it and I asked if I had PA training since I was BoS. So I took it. Since it was 'old and beat up' I expected it to be roughly medium armor equivalent without a carry weight. Turns out it was a lot better than that.

I still don't know why he handed me a plasma caster though. I think he might of been trying to compensate for the fact we had a Deathclaw in the party.

Roll for spontaneous CHIM

Rolled 6 (1d8)

A 1 results in Zero-Sum

>Shin Megami Tensei
Everyone is fucking dead and the world is ending and is full of crazy-ass demons, but the PCs are among those with the potential to decide what the new world will be when it is remade.

>Psychic Secret Agents
Some kind of modern / near future game of spies and espionage and secret agents but the agents all have psychic powers, like lighting shit on fire or telekinesis or teleportation or mental attacks. Like Metal Gear Solid, I guess, but with a story that makes more sense.

>early 90s Final Fantasy
Knights and black mages and white mages and dragoons and crystals and chocobos and airships! But with a system that isn't complete garbage.

>Phantasy Star 4
There's something about the flavour and setting and style of 4 that gets me rock hard and I know my group would love it, too.

This is of interest to me. Links for the archived thread?

Google it I suppose. I thought I had one of the WIP pdf's, but apparently I don't.

Low magic / no magic medieval.

Wuxia

I really want to be a player and not DM a WoW or Fallout game but I am the forever DM

>Low magic / no magic medieval.
>Wuxia

You've got to be kidding you never played any of those.
Or you are forever GM and that's why you never had a chance to literally play them.

Ok, I've re-read it myself, my fault, I'm an idiot

Since you are the GM, why not simply making any of those for your players? I mean that's making the cake and tasting it. Maybe not having nor eating, but still better than making games you don't want yourself.
I can't fucking imagine running a game that I don't like myself, because that would simply be a torture.

Shadowrun, where we play as a DocWagon combat response team. Drop in, secure the area, get the patient out. Deal with corporate fuckery at home base. Juggle personal lives since we're allowed to be actual people outside our jobs. Deal with moral ramifications of leaving injured behind since they can't pay. Deal with gangers one week, then help them against a different gang after they buy packages.

The worst part? This was my idea and my group started it after I moved to a different state.

Convert to GURPS

Settings I desperately want to play in.
>bionicle
>ancient Rome
>S.M. Sterling's emberverse

But I can never find other people who want to GM those things so I end up GMing the things I want to play. Its never quite as satisfying as I imagine playing them would be.

here's an probably older version

GURPS already has superior Reign of Steel

And that's how I'm actually playing Neuroshima - with GURPS crunch

>I can never find other people who want to GM those things so I end up GMing the things I want to play.

Feudal Japan, ronin. Not big battles, just samurai sol RPG.

>I end up GMing the things I want to play
This way I will probably never play Spellbinder game myself. Especially given how obscure the source material got over past 20 years
youtube.com/watch?v=NfynRD895oo

>Shadowrun: EMT Nurse Jackie Edition

I never knew how much I needed this until now.

Thinking of running a GURPS pirate game, but combat similar to medieval games in that alot of the enemies are monsters and magic only exists in the form of voodoo
problem is i dont have a group, and im kind of nervous about recruiting online strangers.

If you are living in at least small town, go find local tabletop club. Or fantasy one. Or check youth center. Cultural centers often have RPG sections too.

Always better than completely random people organised via net, since they tend to be fluky as fuck

Honestly i've been in 2 games of randos and its gone alright, especially the GURPS one.
plus with the types in my town i think finding complete randos would yield better players.

>Golden Sun
>A classic Final Fantasy like setting
>Dune
>Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
>A super robot setting
>A real robot setting
>A not shit pokemon campaign
>A Three Kingdoms campaign

what do you mean a real robot?
because i might be interested in that

> Slam Dunk
Usually told to be impossible or just not viable, either players roleplaying as their entire teams or just one member. Would include training and other dramas outside of the court like the series.

> Bleach
Complex system since the author will never ever as well as has never ever explained how shit works properly despite having ideas but just mixing them and then fixing them. World and setting it awesome and it motivates me more than any or most other shounens.

> Persona
Working on it already but mostly trying to adapt the games as canon as possible without going full numbers and absolute precision. Wanting to focus on the urban setting, magic realism and stuff it entails, social links and make it my own thing outside of the main stories despite being related (within a certain future past the main stories, or perhaps an alternate timeline) to them.

I have various others but they're too ambiguous or as embarrassing as the ones told.

A pretty grim industrial revolution style setting where traditional 'adventurer heroes' are being rapidly outmoded by industrialised/modern armies etc. Campaign would kind of be a 'last hurrah' for the age of heroes with either a phyrric or symbolic victory before they are completely relegated to history.

Anything where my players aren't all immediately optimized spellcasters. Can't "someone" just pick up a damn longsword and go to town?

I've always wanted to play a campaign of this super badly, but I only have one other dude in my group who's interested.

whoops, I had meant to post this, not the whole pdf, whatever.

Mono-Class party campaigns with large splashes of specialization between characters of the same class. Elements of sprucing up their home base for better supplies and bonuses, and also managing reputation for a focus.

>Knights of the Round Table
>Thieve's Guild
>Wizard's Tower
>etc...

I would fucking love to play in an Initial D campaign. I don't even care what system, just yes.

>Generational WoD game, with the players playing successive ancestors through the ages, or a vampire -- the different time periods would tie together through the story, of course.

>Spelljammer campaign -- a reckless, action-packed, Mos-Eisley, rogue-oriented "the adventures of the Windlight" sort of fantasy adventure

>Nobilis. Should be at the top of my list. It sits on my shelf and taunts me. Alas, I will never have the group of gamers to run it.

I haven't had a chance to play a lot of games, so pretty much everything I have.

It's a fairly big list.

I've always wanted to run something in the vein of weird, "future fantasy" settings. Something vaguely like Endless Legend or Hyper Light Drifter, or Numenera if Numenera was actually good. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Also, Dark Sun. Love me some Athas.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is in production for a TV series.

>Spelljammer campaign -- a reckless, action-packed, Mos-Eisley, rogue-oriented "the adventures of the Windlight" sort of fantasy adventure

This has always been a dream of mine, except pirate themed. Sort of like Red Seas Under Red Skies IN SPAAAAAAAACE. I'll probably end up running it as a solo RPG for my gf, who seems to enjoy all my campaigns so long as they're sufficiently lewd

Also, I though Nobilis was a complete mess mechanically?

I remember a few weeks ago somebody was posting about a low-fantasy Aztec-themed campaign. The one thing that stuck out was vampires who practiced blood-sacrifice to grant them immunity to the sun. I thought it sounded cool, might steal it for my next DnD campaign.

It's hard to say, as I've never gotten to play it. I have both editions. I've got experience playing low-dice and no-dice systems. I feel confident about it, but ....it really needs the right players.

I sorta like the idea of rpg where angels and demons fight over human souls, with things like this going on.
only for jokes because it's silly.

STALKER CAMPAIGN
RYUUTAMA CAMPAIGN

youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

This would be rad.

Been wanting to run a Nanoha campaign for a while now. Military magitech with international warfare and politics on a galactic scale. That and Evangelion would be cool (although that's kinda cheating because I'm going to be running an AdEva campaign soon).
I would really like to run a game set in my homebrew sci fi setting as well as some more stuff in my homebrew high fantasy setting that was spawned from D&D 3.5

Steve Jackson's "In Nomine" is the game you want to play.

He's referring to the trope titled "Real Robots." Think VOTOMs or Heavy Gear. Robots are a thing that fight, they haven't entirely replaced all militaries, and they suffer damage just like anything else. Not a lot of "muh prototypes," or "power of the heart," going on here.

If you want a media example that isn't VOTOMs, look at Gundam's 08th MS Team. Probably one of the best examples out there.

There's nothing stopping you from playing that in a good unified/generic setting.

All you need is a list of "cyphers," (you can probably just copy-paste them from Numenera sans-mechanics) and you can literally just run the game in the PDF right here.

I will be using this. TY.

I have a few. Feel free to copy+paste what you like in your document of "if only"s.

>Apocalyptic Hellgate: London/DOOM-esque near future where the techno-Templars and Freemasons fight demons.

>Stereotype fantasy world where mortals get selected unsolicited by gods to act as their champions in a world-wide battle royale against other god-selected champions.

>Be a shadowrunner-equivalent in a setting that's a clusterfuck of Halo, Mass Effect, and Eclipse Phase. The year is +2569 Human Chronology.

>Rapture, future, angels in space with plasma swords, demons in power armor. Humans stuck ind middle.

>Shadow of the Colossus meets Demon Souls.

>50,000 years in the future, Earth is sundered into two hemispheres, joined only by a thin spire infested with Tucker's kobolds armed with AKs and laser guns. One hemisphere is 'civilized'. The other is a recently discovered frontier where to a portal has been discovered. Heroes brave the wilds and remnants of civilizations that have sprung up in he ten thousand years since the split.

>STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl meets Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

>Flying western in post-1947 green apocalypse.

>Fantasy Suicide Squad working for the NOT Catholic church dealing with problems inspired by/stolen from Berserk, Ravenloft, and Darkest Dungeon.

>British spies during the Peninsular War (Britain vs. France in Spain) trying to thwart Napoleon's occult research division.

>Artemis 11 (suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17379345/#17394787), basically Call of Cthulhu in space, but less Cthulhutech and more in the vein of Alien or 2001: A Space Odyssey. The world was lost to the End Times, we're colonizing other planets but the Eldritch has followed us, and the Carter Family makes gates that basically get us through Hell and make AI go insane.

Oh also, this one that a really creative user came up with:

It's the post apocalyptic rust belt and adventurers go into overgrown factories, abandoned towns, and thick forests to reclaim resources and sometimes even lost knowledge or on fact finding and surveying missions for a few of the remaining universities or reassembled governments.

Researchers and governments don't go in themselves because of wild men that are a blend of Lovecraftian cultists and meth cooks. Mutants are also a nasty problem but they're pretty rare.

Chicago is in a civil war and a fraction of the original size. Detroit is almost entirely reclaimed by nature. Coal mining country is generally pretty good but everything runs on straight coal, and coal mining guilds run everything. Indianapolis is the most stable major city. Pittsburgh is host to a giant clan of cultist raiders that pour out of the city in occasional tweaker crusades. Churches form anti crusades to turn them back when enough people can be rallied.

This sounds really cool.

>potatopunk

Monster Hunter. Like the games. Specifically I want the part where the players make their gear from what they kill. I use this aesthetic any time I get to make a shaman/druid/woodsman kind of tribal dude in any game I am a player in, but I've never had interest any time I float it to my group(s) casually and to be honest I don't know how to make the gear/animal parts thing really interesting mechanically...

>SLA Industries
So I'm not the only one who's ever heard of that game! There are others!

>Conan
d20, TSR, or Modiphius?

There was a thread a couple of days ago, got about 100 posts.

Goddammit, why have I never thought about bionicle rpg?!

Because the setting is a complete clusterfuck?

Low-magic medieval setting in not!Europe. With vikings, historically inaccurate arms and armors, not!Christianism and old pagan ways still going strong among peasantry. Players would be linked one way or another to some small noble family trying to survive in the political clusterfuck. And sometimes werewolves and fairies appear out of nowhere and fuck shit up.

Elderscrolls
Fallout
Pokemon

Gurren Lagann esque post apocalyptic mech campaign

Classic fantasy in a Greyhawk esque setting using a system that emulates the feel of old school D&D while being better put together, like swords and wizardry, basic fantasy, or microlite 74.

Custom low magic setting in barbarians of lemuria

Dragon Ball Z probably set at the same time as Dragon Ball Online or on planet vegeta as saiyans.

Yu Yu hakusho

One Piece

Fullmetal Alchemist

Modern-day GTA like campaign

An Uncharted/Indiana Jones esque adventure

Zombie apocalypse

Call of Chthul

Some sort of murder mystery

But I most of all i would like to have a long running high fantasy game in savage worlds.

A session in a nationstates world that a world building thread helped me flesh out.

The only thing limiting me is my borderline retardation with being a DM.

The non-setting.

You know how most settings have a World, or Characters, or Goals, or a Story, or Plot, or a Theme, or Fluff, or stuff like that?

I don't want that.

I want a game where my blocks of numbers (NPCs) fight against other blocks of numbers (the players), and if the players' blocks of numbers win, their numbers go higher because of loot and exp.
No context. No story. Just rising numbers vs. rising numbers.

I always wanted to try a naval based campaign. Like exploring the sea and discovering islands n shit