Is it true that you can get banned simply for someone telling the organizers that you "make them feel uncomfortable" on...

Is it true that you can get banned simply for someone telling the organizers that you "make them feel uncomfortable" on a MTG tournament, Veeky Forums? I heard on a podcast that this is becoming a tactic - when your opponent is clearly better than you, you can say that and they get banned and you win. (depending on the gender of course)

Have there actually been cases like this or am I being rused?

Other urls found in this thread:

dicetowernews.com/zach-jesse-banned-from-magic-the-gathering-due-to-criminal-history/18098
exhentai.org/g/901210/9441f26e0d/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This sounds like a strawman argument. "I only got banned because of the PC SJW conspiracy" etc.

The judge is allowed some measure of discretion here. It does happen, but not every time.

If I pull that off, will you get banned?

it would also depend on why they you are making them feel uncomfortable, officially I believe this come from the tournament rules on sportsmanship. they can't just say you make them feel uncomfortable and you get kicked out, you would have to be actively doing something, though there was an official word from WOTC on i think twitter that just saying somethig is"gay" constitutes a hosile environment. so if the judge is enough of a hardass about it, yeah

It's not even that, OP is just baiting because Social Justice topics always get replies.

>Losing a match
>Make up false harassment claim to get your opponent banned

Oh, someone's getting banned, alright.

Not what a strawman is.

>word from WOTC on i think twitter that just saying somethig is"gay" constitutes a hosile environment

Similarly, saying that something "sucks" could be interpreted as being shorthand for "sucks on a penis" which might be understood to demean women and passive homosexuals.

I know op is baiting, but a few years back therebwas a womens group that got to run sanctioned tournaments despite the fact that men were not allowed to participate despite no exclusion of any kind is one of the first demands wotc makes.

They are not around anymore though, not because any deliberate action from any party but because they went with the "goddesses of women" approach to naming and wearing pins that say "member of isis" just isn't that hot shit anymore

They are still around and were at a convention i went to. They hilariously claimed that with the publicity they are getting now people should associate isis with feminism and not terrorism within the end of next year.

Google #isisnerdfeminism

There was a guy awhile back banned from events because he had a rape conviction. He'd been to prison, served his time, and wasn't doing anything amiss but, as we as a society have come to learn, sex criminals are the worst sorts of criminals and unredeemable monsters who must be permanently cast out of society. It is truly a wonder we don't just summarily execute men for even the suspicion of a sex crime.

We certainly can't have them playing games.

This whole thread is hilarious.

Rules don't ban people. Rules are justifications judges use to ban people.

>"You're kicking me out? But why?"
>Because you're a huge, flaming asshole and you're ruining this for everyone.
>"But I didn't break any rules! You can't kick me out if I didn't break a rule!"
>Ok, know what, we're just gonna put "creating a hostile environment" on the banned list, so we can kick out douchebags.

As a woman this shit disgusts me. Terrifying as abuse is, I'd take mark or tyrone's dick over some drunk dudebro try hard's hummer splatting me on the pavement. People who say this shit is worse than death are idiots. there are people who actually kill people while drunk and after they serve their sentence they are allowed back into bars.

Well, in all fairness, his original rape conviction was silly to begin with. I believe they were both ridiculously drunk, so neither party could really give informed consent. He got his life back on track after the jail time, too, and was a functioning member of society.

This sounds like bullshit.

Seriously. This sounds like the guy was a problem, got banned, and then started complaining that he was banned for a prior conviction. Now, I don't doubt that the people considering banning him found out about the rape, and that probably helped tip the needle from "is this guy just a really creepy weirdo" to "is this guy actually dangerous," but guess what, it's not housing or employment, no one is obligated to play with you.

>no one is obligated to play with you.
Which is why WotC's number one rule is no discrimination, right?

The point is it really shouldn't matter. He did his time. His slate should be clean. If a crime is so horrible that you can never be redeemed for it they shouldn't let you out of prison.

But if this is true, you don't actually have to be "an asshole" to get banned, someone who's higher than you in the social hierarchy can just kick you out if they don't like you. I can't believe this would be happening in a community of nerds who have a pretty good idea what being ostracized is like, am I just too naive?

That's a nice thought, and I wished the world worked like this.

Nonetheless, there's a publicly available sex offender registry list and certain laws that trail around with you forever. Statutory rape between two consenting teenagers is enough to get one of them on the list, and they will never get off of it.

"Nerds" are often worse for this kind of thing than an average person, because they don't realize they're being assholes. Their line of thinking is "everyone else is the assholes, not us".

>His slate should be clean
yeah. That's why you totally need to say if you've been convicted of a felony on a lot of job applications, because of your "Clean Slate".

Crimes follow you, even if you're found innocent years later. People have been discriminating against people who have commited crimes for forever now. It's nothing new or special.

Not wanting someone convicted of rape, regardless of circumstances, representing your company on camera, is normal for any company.

public urination can get you on the sex offenders list if the cop is enough of a hardass about it. You never get off of it. So if anyone looks you up, there you are, and while the sex offender's list has "Levels" of the offence, no one looks at that.

No you moron, there was no problem whatsoever until another player made a stink about him having a rape conviction on the internet.

It wasn't a case of him being thrown out of the venue.

Again, rules are what judges use to justify their decisions.

>"I want this person kicked out! I'm a big member of the community!"
(Judge looks, person is fine)
>"Sorry, they're not breaking any rules, deal with it."

>"Can you get rid of this person? They're a huge asshole."
(Judge looks, person is a huge asshole)
>"Right, looks like we've got a violation of rule #177, come along now."

>playing a card game is comparable to applying for a job
>it has always been bad, so deal with it
>he was going to play a game, he's practically head of their PR department
You're stupid.

The thing is though that there are tons of high-profile athletes that have committed felonies, but nobody gives a shit.

The "it would ruin the hobby's image" argument that people brought up a lot back when it happened was total bullshit and the only reason anyone brought it up to begin with was basically out of spite.

Except that it wasn't an issue until a player brought it up basically out of spite and used social media to strongarm Wiz into making a big deal out of it.

Do you think they check people's criminal records when they register for their DCI number or something? No.

But 'sucking in a penis' isnt demeaning to women or homosexuals? So what the fuck?

>they don't think sucking on penis is awesome

WOTC confirmed for homophobic and Misogynistic.

Well my wife likes it. So do our gay friends afaik.

This so fucking much

>Patrick Chapin
>Admitted Drug Runner
>Would have gotten life had prosecution's key witness not OD'd mid-trial
>Hall of Famer and general "Ambassador" to the game about how you can turn your life around.

>Zach Jesse
>Trumped up rape charge when both parties were drunk (no consent either way, should have no case)
>Urged by his lawyer to plead out to a 3 month sentence.
>Applies for and successfully regains his right to vote
>Applies for and is admitted to VA Bar Association
>Wins a GP
>Banned and has collection seized after the guy he beat in top8 goes on a twitter rant about how he's a "convicted rapist"
>Was never convicted of any crime, was never charged with rape.

Drew Levin needs to be dragged into the street and shot.

This is a problem with all cons in all of American society. It's not "le SJW discrimination," hell it's more of a conservative thing.

There's also a large subset of nerds that are weak ass white knights who will rally to any womyn on the off chance they'll get to sniff her undies.

We're all guilty of something.

If he did 3 months he was convicted of something. When you plead out, you plead guilty.

It would be extremely uncomfortable

They're not much different in the end. They're just different camps of knee jerk reactionaries.

The whole "campus SJW" meme reminds me of nothing so much as the Family Values crowd of the 80's-90's. Bunch of tight asses who want to make the whole world into a padded room.

for you

L2 judge here. If a player comes to me and says their opponent is "making them feel uncomfortable" I will get their statement as to how and why, I'll talk to the other player, and I'll confer with witnesses about what they've seen. Then I'll make a decision based on all the evidence. It's the same thing I do with anything serious enough to require an investigation.

If the guy is being a creepy asshat, I'll give him a stern warning and watch to make sure he knocks it off, and if he doesn't stop or is being especially creepy I'll throw him out.
If the guy is trying his best to be a normal decent human being and is doing nothing wrong, then I tell them to play on. If evidence points to the accuser being behind and trying to use me to steal a win, I'll throw THEM out.

As a judge, you need to treat everything the same way - it's the only way you can sleep at night.

I'll take "no contest" for $500 Alex.

You're a big gal.

Yeah, guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

Better throw out anybody who's had a DWI, got into a fight on their 18th birthday, sold or took drugs without being in the ivy league... I mean, think of the children!

he pled to aggravated sexual battery, but it never went to a jury. "convicted" implies that he was found guilty by a jury of his peers. Jesse put in an Alford Plea at his lawyer's urging, although given how the supposed victim later recanted her testimony and "didn't want (him) to suffer" it should have been dismissed.

You are a reasonable and conscientious person and it alludes to a sad state of affairs when I have to commend you for this.

If you play the game at events where you could earn money and be on camera speaking with the company, it is comparable.

It doesn't matter if he's "just playing a game" wizards is protecting themselves. It's business. People still buy their cards, so this obviously wasn't that hard of a decision for them.

They don't check, but they will check if something is brought to their attention, like it was.

I'm just saying this isn't unique to wizards, and most companies would do the same.

Hell, even the victim forgave him and specifically said she want to ruin his life. It was the DA that wanted to look good by "taking a strong position on sexual assault" or something.

That WotC is within their rights to ban whoever they like for whatever reasons they please (or even no reason at all) isn't in question, but the fact they seem so willing to abuse one person in order to please the angry internet mob should give pause.

His name was Zach Jesse. He was not disqualified from an event or thrown out of a venue, he was banned some time after a guy who lost to him tweeted about his criminal history.

dicetowernews.com/zach-jesse-banned-from-magic-the-gathering-due-to-criminal-history/18098

He wasn't even convicted of actual rape

He was never even CHARGED with rape, for that matter. Levin's twitter rage fits the textbook criteria of defamation (It's either slander or libel but I forget which is written and which is verbal) and Jesse, a lawyer duly admitted to the Virginia State Bar, could easily sue for shitloads.

Libel

Libel is an incredibly difficult charge to prove in the US, far more than elsewhere in the world. You have to prove not only that what someone is saying is false, but that they know it's false and that they are doing it for the express purpose of causing harm to you. Proving that guilty mind is nearly impossible.

Personally I think its better that way. You can't legislate stupid. Levin should be allowed to say whatever he wants more or less. People and particularly organizations with any level of authority though should be judicious enough not to abide every bit of random hearsay that pops up on Twitter. That WotC did is a knock on them.

I concur.

Well two of the three things you mentioned are demonstrably provable, the fact that he was never convicted or even charged with rape makes calling him a rapist false and the intention of Levin to harm him in some petty fashion is clear as day.

>If the guy is being a creepy asshat

You mean more than the average mtg player ?

Believe it or not, the average magic player isn't posting his waifu mat on tg

ITT: That guy

>Better throw out anybody who's had a DWI, got into a fight on their 18th birthday, sold or took drugs without being in the ivy league

You don't?

>had his collection seized
Do you have sauce on this, because if that is true that is a whole new level of bs.

*I am assuming you mean his real cards not his mtgo account or something

Yes. We sjw hipsters are coming to get your fat nerd ass and you will never be allowed to have fun ever again.

his MTGO account. afaik he was refunded some of the assessed value of his online collection.

don't talk to me or my wife's son ever again

You won't be able to touch me, because you'll never find me.

doubly so considering Levin lost to Zach Jesse in the top8 of the GP, which prompted the twitterstorm. There's a fairly easy case to be made there for intent.

har har.

he was given 20 cents on the dollar.

>I can't believe this would be happening in a community of nerds who have a pretty good idea what being ostracized is like

This is the #1 thing that contributes to horrible assholes never being kicked out of nerdy groups, despite any sane person seeing how they're just fucking things up for everybody else.

"But we can't kick them out! We know what it feels like to be ostracized!"

Hell, I've been in that position myself, more times than I can count. All it tends to do is make the complete asshole the 'victim' for being ostracized, while the people they've been treating like shit are the 'bad guys' for daring to suggest they need to go. It's an ugly cycle.

You can get banned essentially for telling a joke to some friends, being overheard by a faggot, and having them report you.

Yeah, at some point you have to have the conviction to just put your foot down and go "You are terrible for the community, leave."

The fallacy serves very little purpose and makes people much more hesitant to throw out dumbasses.

Enjoy being banned while reasonable people continue to play Magic. I don't really know what to say if you're that immature and toxic.

No, I do. Go fuck yourself. Enjoy your crumbling world.

>there are people who doesn't know WotC is part of the SJW faggot police
>there are people who don't know judges are some of the biggest cancer killing magic
>there are people who don't play decks that are made entirely to piss off judges

t. raving sjw hamplanet

>piss off judges

How does this work? By building a horribly complex deck with inter-working abilities?

Sauce?

[Kokutou Nikke] Kanmusu Chakunin Hibiki Yakuduke Yokuryuu Choukyou
exhentai.org/g/901210/9441f26e0d/

Thanks.