Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

dat ass edition.

Discuss the viability of the Warcraft universe as a tabletop RPG setting. Have fun, don't go full autist, and keep your cool. Keep your asspain to yourself. This is not /v/ or Veeky Forums.

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

g1138.tumblr.com/post/138586100354/dear-dustin-thank-you-for-putting-my-numero-2
wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Dorgar_Stoenbrow
wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Fellari_Swiftarrow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If people actually want a legit Alliance vs. Horde war Blizzard needs to make an entire expansion about it. But I don't see that happening, ever.

I'm surprised that image was deleted.

>Blizzard needs to make an entire expansion about it.

Basically MoP.

What was it?

Greenmarine's Tyrande and Li Ming pic.

g1138.tumblr.com/post/138586100354/dear-dustin-thank-you-for-putting-my-numero-2

There's worse stuff on the catalog right now.

except it wasn't
MoP has 1/4 of a single zone of faction war, then Panda Naruto shows up and yells at you for having fun and makes you go collect bear asses

We fa/tumblr/guys now?

For there to be a legitimate faction war that didn't immediately put fans off due to their previous perception of the faction relationship, they'd have to fucking have started right after vanilla. The whole cold-war scenario slowly but surely escalating again was the only way.

Now we have 5 expansions worth of lore where it's all about the factions uniting against a common threat, cementing the "guys, stop fighting it's stupid!" mentality in the playerbase and the lore that's essentially poison to a sensible and immersive faction war scenario.

As people mentioned, natural conflict zones like the Crossroads and Southshore/Tarren Mill were perfect to actually bring the faction war to life. They should have just further expanded on that. They had potential for content patches without end, changing the area, possibly introducing those stupid stand-ins for strategic points right then and there in Hillsbrad and around the barrens, and possibly even adapt the quests and the structure of the bases.

Every step of the slow, but certain armsrace could have been another expansion, but no, they had to go to other planets and start a war with Frosty Sauron and then TIMETRAVEL.

So, let's focus on tabletop:

Would you give penalties in cross-faction groups to properly represent that the two factions don't get along?

>Would you give penalties in cross-faction groups to properly represent that the two factions don't get along?
there's plenty of cross faction groups that get along fine with each other regardless of race, faction restrictions are retarded pandering to werl pee vee pee fags

>Would you give penalties in cross-faction groups to properly represent that the two factions don't get along?
Hell no. That's a roleplay thing that should be exhibited by the players. There should be no physiological reason for penalties just because someone is from the other side.

>MoP has 1/4 of a single zone of faction war

The narrative was all about faction War.
Pre patch was destroying Theramore
5.0 was bringing war to Pandaria and dealing with the fallout of the released Sha.
5.1 was the Alliance and the Horde proper arriving in Pandaria and fighting it out there.
5.2 was a break and dealing with the Thunder King, but even there we had the Sunreavers and Kirin Tor fighting.
5.3 turned the Barrens into a battlefield and layed the ground for the Siege of Orgrimmar.
5.4 was the Siege of Orgrimmar itself.

and in the actual questing you see none of that past Jade Forest, it's all fixing panda problems after that

>We fa/tumblr/guys now?

now? i think youre a little behind the times user

>dont worry about reddit and tumblr they said
>we arent being taken over they said

btw where do i get my skinny semen demon?

>Armor is as flat as the actual in-game model.

I liked the trends armor took during Wrath of the Lich King, as there was actual heft and size to the armor. What stuck out to me the most were the boots; they were actually big shitstompers that didn't stick flush to the body.

thats because its just painted yoga pants. like those stretchy jeans look alikes

the generic questing plate from Wrath is the best looking plate until WoD

Quick survey:
>Best cloth set
>Best leather set
>Best mail set
>Best plate set
Bonus points for going on a class-by-class basis.

Tirisfal
Bloodfang
Cryptstalker
Blackrock

well i know that WOD has the best belts

everything you said depends on class, race, and sex though

how much have draenei changed after they became light infused? do they look exactly the same as they originally did? from what i understand both the demons and the holy demons look different than the first draenei

Best girls.

I get unreasonably rustled when people don't draw draenei with glowing eyes. I've noticed it's mostly eastern-style art, too.

Also, way to get your file deleted OP, you clod. Pick something that isn't just T&A next time.

>well i know that WOD has the best belts
Eh, I don't care for the WWF-style belts. Nor the gigantic boots that a lot of plate has. They look like lead-lined boots for divers to walk under water.

Transcendence
Bloodfang
Dragonstalker
Judgement

why in the world would i have my file deleted and what in the world is "just T&A"? do you mean things that redditors dont agree with? i dont really give a shit about that lad. redditor opinions/feelings arent the law of the land

>Eh, I don't care for the WWF-style belts

i was talking more about the belts that actually have stuff on them

TRIGGER WARNING MY IMAGE SHOWS EXPOSED PIXEL ARMS TRIGGER WARNING

actually its also a zoom in of skin tight clothing over a crotch

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

After Illidan fucked up and couldn't kill Arthas, what happened to him ?

>how much have draenei changed after they became light infused?

Not at all. The only thing they've go to show off their allegiance are the little head sigil things.

Retreated to Outland and laid low.

Did he went back to serve kil'jaden ?

No.

why do all energy forms other than light cause some sort of change? aka troll into elves because of arcane/titan blood. demons from fell taint etc

The light is the chillest of energies.

>why do all energy forms other than light cause some sort of change?
some blood elf paladins are developing golden eyes from channeling the Light

No they're not.

oh yeah so i guess the draenei have the sigil and the glowy eyes too

Was that supposed to prove something?

because they are mutagens, and races developed around them.
Which, if you ask me, is one of the best explanations for a ton of races in a fantasy world i've seen.
"Why haven't all these guys killed each other yet and established a single sentient species?"
"Well, with alien creations, accelerated evolution, and energies provoking speciation sometimes in a single life-span...."

sues dont count user. its embarrassing that i have to explain that

>killed each other yet and established a single sentient species?"
The "we killed the neaderthals" is a stale old meme friendo.

thats not the question. the question is why are all the energies mutagens except the light?

not an argument
I didn't post Tirion

>not an argument

She is channeling holy energy, there is nothing to suggest her eyes are passively gold, her or any other Blood Elf.

>draenei
They were the coolest until wow retconned them into being "broken" and the real deal being space goats.

the "we fucked the neanderthals out of existence, except for blacks" isnt though

Well, now there are Light natherezim so . . .

Is anyone running a Warcraft game? I really want to be a player in one for a change.

she's clearly not casting any type of spell, why would she be channeling any type of energy beyond the normal blood elf absorption of magic?

>she's clearly not casting any type of spell

Her weapon, armor and eyes are literally glowing with the light, she is clearly channeling it.

Illidan actually opposed KJ in Outland. He was actively working against the Legion. But we didn't know this, and regardless he was still a pretty big ass about it. He was less interested in actually stopping the Legion than he was in just kicking them out so he could wear his paper crown.

So we stomped through his castle.

weapons and armor in Warcraft glow all kinds of colours all the time for lots of reasons

just like in my animes

>colours

limeys get OUUUUUUUUUUT

Liadrin's don't.
She is being portrayed as if she just popped avenging wrath. Paladins go ssj all the time.

Lets talk faction organization and relations for a moment.
Cultural histories and inter-cultural relations are a big part of Warcraft, and depending on which age we're talking about enemies may become allies, and entire species are possibly KoS for at least one other.

However, there are TONS of factions in the Warcraft Lore, even before WoW and especially after even Vanilla WoW. However, for a Warcraft RPG project I'm just playing around with, I don't just want to have a binary Horde v Alliance situation either; it's more interesting when it's not just red vs blue.

As such, I'm considering at least starting with each racial capital as a faction; Stormwind, Gnomregand, Silvermoon, Ogrimar, etc, each with a set relation with the others. However, instead of having a long list of modifiers of varying intensities, I was just going to have each have certain factions that they are labeled as being Enemies and Allies; not in that the get along or don't like each other, but, like, Ogrimar would be listed as Enemy for Stormwind, and vice versa. As such, either's NPCs would react to the presence of the other's characters/NPCs negatively, or even attack them out right depending on the individual in question. Meanwhile Stormwind and Ironforge would be Allies, so their NPCs would be quick to aid members of the other; not like discounting all their purchases or anything, but most humans could ask most dwarves for a favor in a pinch and likely get an affirmative. Mostly it'd just be guidelines, but it'd also include perhaps a modest actual mechanical penalty to things like trying to barter with a goblin if you're a gnome, or some such.

TL;DR
Is having each racial Capital be a mechanical Faction enough for starters?
What should the impact of Allies and Enemies be?
It's mostly meant to be a set of guidelines, but there would and should be some mechanical influences as well; mostly about how you can expect NPCs to react to your character.

I'm sure not many people remember what happened, but I used to be big in Scarlet Crusade RP, I grinded weeks for the proper gear.

but then one day it happened, without warning, the Scarlet Genocide, I think it was Cataclysm, when all the Scarlet followers in The eastern kingdoms were turned into undead goons of the dreadlord.

I was devastated, and so was most of my RP circle, I remember laying awake at night and being at a loss, first the crusade becomes THE punching bag in Wotlk, and then it gets killed off, all those years of the monastery, tyrs hand, their small outposts in tirisfal.

it got sacrifices and the argent shit got buffed out the ass

I felt so empty afterwards, our group fell apart almost immediately, I retained two guys and we kicked it off on a private server for some time, but the damage was done.

I think no other faction in warcraft, be it villainous or protagonistic, has ever been treated as poorly as the crusade of lordaeron.

as someone who played from Warcraft 1 to 3 and then from release of vanilla until the first months of cataclysm, I say no other area or faction shaped my experience of the game as much as Tirisfal, the scarlet monastery, and lordaeron in general and it killed me to see the whole region defiled and Brill's "facelift" from an atmospheric old town into a token spoky village

Sure, makes more sense than what blizzard did with wow, especially after cataclism

You do realize the Scarlet Crusade were "bad guys" right? You should have known they'd get wiped out eventually.

>bad guys
Don't fall for the memes.

The Scarlet Crusade was evil, and there's no way around it. Despite their zealous devotion to the Light, they engaged in racism (especially against fellow non-human members of the Alliance), torture and murder. Hell, the original Scarlet commander engaged in fratricide.

And yet they still thought they were in the right. They are the definition of "radicalized."

They were always goons of that dreadlord, remember?

Sorry to break your nostalgia goggles, bu the Scarlet Crusade were never good guys by anyone's standards. Yes they opposed the Scourge. Yes they wanted to take Lordaeron back. But they were also completely uninterested in working with anyone else to do this. They wanted the Scourge and Forsaken out. But they also wanted the Argent Dawn, Cenarion Circle, the Quel'dorei, and the Alliance itself out so they could rule their own little theocracy. You can't even say they were well-intentioned extremists, because their entire philosophy is "If you're not Scarlet, you're Little People. And Little People got no place in Lordaeron".

It's the exact same kind of attitude Kosak pushed onto Orcs. Except Scarlets were like that before Kosak showed up.

The real Crusade died with Alexandros Mograine.

Sorry, patricide.

Just like our lord and savior Grand Marshal Lord Garithos.

It was no secret that the Scarlet Crusade was not part of the good guys by any means, but that doesn't mean it should have been mistreated the way it was.

It literally was the best chance Lordaeron had.

also
>muh racism
well guess what they wanted to liberate their home and had no interest in handing it over to night elves or dwarves. Lordaeron was never in the alliance of Stormwind with the night elves

The scarlet crusade would have deserved a proper closure with all the well established characters it had

instead the whole faction was taken out back and shot like a dog. A faction well loved by many players, in the meanwhile other factions without any worth what so ever got pushed into everyones face by blizzard

>It literally was the best chance Lordaeron had.

No, no it wasn't. Even if they won, Lordaeron would trade one group of douchey, antagonistic occupiers for another.

I won't argue they got the short end of the stick as far as writing goes. But "Scarlet Stronk best hope for Lordaeron" wanking is pure wishful thinking.

The best case scenario from the get go is the Crusade wins and then they become a raid faction.

Scarlet Crusade were racists. There is no going back or forward from this, no tears only dreams now.

the scarlet crusade is what the alliance should be. actually fighting evil and not taking any of their shit or apologizing for it

of course they were also duped by a demon for his own reasons but that just makes them sympathetic

i would rather be a lord paladin in the scarlet crusade than lead the silver hand

>It literally was the best chance Lordaeron had.
Compared to who?

And then showed Maiev sexy times in her prison.

>Implying racism is evil

The only bad thing the Scarlets did was getting tricked by a Dreadlord.

>muh racist boogeyman

the way you use racist doesnt really mean anything user. yes i guess hating orcs because they repeatedly try to genocide you is "racist" but it doesnt really mean anything

its like if someone defends himself against murder by killing the other dude and you come along and point out its "rude" to kill someone so that guys is a rude meany

Anyone who have backwards ideas such as racism get shot, same thing happened to maiev and her wardens.

>do you mean things that redditors dont agree with?

I never actually saw the image, I'm just assuming it was a blue, purple, or green ass, which is a clickbaity kind of image.
Just because people got mods to delete your shit doesn't mean reddit was involved.

i hope the city you live in becomes 90% black/sandpeople

But that's exactly how blizzard sees it. Orcs are good boys that dindu nuffing. They just want a place to call home, all the war and stuff were the demons' fault.

Fuck off faggot. You are an embarrasment to the white race.

From the thumbnail I thought that was Thrall and Jaina.

This, see how they handled the whole jaina and kul tiras/theramoore issue both times.

where do you live user?

how much money did you/your parents spend to live in an area without blacks? must be great to talk about how evil other people are without a hint of hypocrisy

why not just move to a black area? houses are much cheaper there

Scarlets weren't merely racist against the Horde. By their reckoning, only humans were the "pure" race. Even dwarves and (high) elves, stalwart members of the Alliance, were intensely discriminated against by the Scarlet Crusade.

As far as Stormwind is concerned, the Scarlet Crusade is an embarrassment.

Why entertain emissaries in the Cathedral of Light then?

Didn't the Crusade also largely have a disdain for Stormwind as well? Something about being buttmad Stormwind lowered themselves to take aid from Mountain Jews and Tree Niggers?

because hes making all this shit up to get those reddit points

applying real life liberal propaganda to a fantasy setting is beyond retarded

the term "racist" means totally different things in each setting. calling someone racist in wow for hating undead or orcs is like calling someone who in real life hates spiders or wasps racist

yes they hated everyone who wasnt scarlet crusade. but because "everyone" includes fantasy niggers they get labeled racist

But they hated dwarves and other Alliance member races, too.

From wowwiki:
>While the Alliance is in agreement that the Scourge needs to be eradicated from Lordaeron so they can return home, few Alliance members would agree with the methods used by the Scarlet Crusade. They are the natural enemies of the Scourge and the Forsaken, but they have made themselves the enemy of any who cannot quickly and definitively prove their mortality.
>[...]
>The Scarlet Crusade sees no difference between the Forsaken and the Scourge and battle the Forsaken zealously. They distrusts any non-Human races, although there once were other races, such as High Elves and Dwarves, in their ranks. They may end up alone on the continent — or more likely, die trying.

Further proof after Papa Mograine bought it, the Crusade went completely downhill.

the literally have statues of elves in SM honoring them

why redditors get turbo triggered by them i dont understand

they also hate everyone mostly because of the deceit that all the undead cults and shit do. people forget that all the humans nations basically crumbled because of betrayal from within

also men literally are the master race so who gives a fuck?

oh yeah they also werent vigilant enough and still wound up getting bamboozled...twice

Space goats > broken
It's objective truth, user.

Indeed, nothing like ERPing a draenei futa that keeps all the nelf sluts in check with her horsecock.

>they literally have statues of elves in SM honoring them

>wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Dorgar_Stoenbrow
>wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Fellari_Swiftarrow

elf and a dwarf

>redditors
let this meme die.

>people RP as sex-addled retards, that must mean that's how the race is in the lore
fuck off.

thanks for your valuable contribution anti-pol

Hated it too, I really loved them in Frozen Throne. The whole human/blood elf campaign was great, in fact. I would have loved to play one of those badass motherfuckers, not space goats.

>>The Scarlet Crusade sees no difference between the Forsaken and the Scourge and battle the Forsaken zealously
Well, they're not wrong.

what is the best paladin order and why is it the Brotherhood of the Light?