Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Singalong Adventure edition
What are the lyrics to your current character's musical solo?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
>pastebin.com/5F8RNubX

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j5FmC35GIOk
youtube.com/watch?v=tv3h57S3Rhw
youtube.com/watch?v=cQe9eK_4U0U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

im a wildshaping druid so pretty much this
youtube.com/watch?v=j5FmC35GIOk

How do you guys prefer to word your character bios for GMs you dont know?

Do you give something in prose form or just give a plain no nonsense description?

I work the background in prose.
I'm the kind of guy who gets asked for a paragraph of information and end up writing a five page epic retelling.

Then I give a no nonsense bio of appearance and personality and major character points.

I prefer to keep it no-nonsense out of concern for the DM's time, even though I like to write.
>what my character is
>maybe an easymode comparison to the most similar fantasy character archetype and where it diverges
>where I plan to go with it
>what he/she adventures for

Guy you're replying to here, I also prefer prose but I'm a little insecure since my writing skills cant quite measure up to the picture I'm trying to paint.

Theres always this lingering fear where I end up receiving a half mocking reply from whoever GM who's game I'm trying to apply to which makes me hesitate and consider going for boring but easy to word plain descriptions.

I do a lot of writing and feel more confident about my material, but I understand that. I would probably tone it down for an online game or for a game with someone I'm less familiar running it. If it's just my friends, though, I give it with both barrels.

What's an undead creature created from sorrow, sadness, or suicide that isn't an attic whisperer?

Allips, iirc. They are low CR monsters that feed on wisdom.

>Osirioni Cleric
youtube.com/watch?v=tv3h57S3Rhw

With backing vocals provided by Ghost Sound.

Does relativity burst avoid attacks or does it just grant movement after you get hit?

youtube.com/watch?v=cQe9eK_4U0U
This would probably be my android cryptic.

Okay /pfg/, riddle me this:
Have you ever reflavored Psionics, either to convince a DM to let you use it, or put a spin on your own setting?

Yes I have, in my setting it's now ki magic.

I refluffed all the DSP stuff as alchemy based, with people mutating themselves to use it

all the ectoplasm and other metacreative stuff is flubber or something

Moar Elsbeth lewds!

Say, if I where a Spirit Whisperer Wizard, would I be able to take the Extra Hex feat?

In my homegame setting, psionics is the domain of the fey. All psionic characters have some degree of implied fey ancestry, which is good or bad depending on whether you live in an area still under fey control.

Psychic magic is the bastardized version invented in the free human kingdoms, since the arcane magic of the old human empire is widely suppressed under the fey courts' rule, and divine magic is scarce in a world the gods have forsaken.

So what are the list of buffs that are good for extend? I am going to be playing a high level wizard with a lot of access to crafting (has every crafting feat).

So I have an enormous magic item budget and would like to keep long buffs going.

First I'm going to planar bind, dimensionally lock, and dominate monster 6 succubi for a +2 profane bonus to every stat.
Extended mindblank
Ring of continuation for constant Shapechange
Extended Endure Elements because why not.
Extended Maximized Empowered Greater False Life
Extended Resist/Protection From Energy (because of increased caster level these last 7 hours each)
Extended Overland Flight
Extended Ecolocation
Extended Planar Adpatation
Extended Pass Without Trace
Extended Countless Eyes
Extended Delay Pain
Extended Contingency Animate Dead Juju Zombie
Extended Misdirection
Extended Greater Magic Aura on all belongings
Permanacy'd Greater Arcane Sight
Extended Nondetection
Extended Hunter's Lore
Extended Greater False Vision
Extended Moment of Prescience
Extended Protection from Arrows

What am I missing?

>Character has AC in the 40s by level 10
God it feels good to be a certified geographic-outcropping temperature negro.

Psionics and Ki are natural human body processes and are treated as EX abilities.

The supernatural disciplines are now refluffed as Ki use.

For defense it generally goes:
Fort = Will > HP > Reflex > Touch AC > AC

AC is in the back on the defenses train, but still important. You shouldn't neglect your saves.

Ki is a Su class feature.

And in my setting, Ki is an Ex ability.

You forgot miss chance.

I never count miss chance anymore because it's easy to counter. Too much of a binary system.

In my setting, all magic, psionic and to some degree, martial power is stemmed from the 'Voice'. The Voice is said to be the tiny echo of creation that every living creature capable of thought contains within them and it is this fragment of creation that allows a creature to impose their will upon the world.

Psionics, also known as Harmonics, are the more direct method of drawing upon this power, while magic uses it as a focus for other energies and martial uses it as a bolster for their physical prowess.

It is a bit more complicated that that though, as other creatures with Voices have been discovered in the form of horrific, vaguely humanoid mutant animals that are insane and aggressive. Oddly, outsiders like demons and angels have no such Voice and reportedly neither do the occasional creature to wash up in the world like flotsam on the planar currents. In addition, those creatures that defy mortal understanding, the ones hailing from outside the sane reaches of the universe possess something very similar to a Voice, which leads many to wonder if the old tales are truly correct.

Well my Will/Reflex are decent and my Fort isn't too bad.
Touch AC is a-okay.
HP is delicate but I'm grabbing some temp HP items to cover it.

>Being a druid when Lunar Oracle is a thing.

Anyone?

How's that Will save?

If you neglected it, enjoy being mind controlled while you fuck the rest of your party to death.

I'm interested in trying a wildshape druid for the iron gods campaign which I heard was construct heavy.

Is there anything I can do with pouncy claws that help them defeat hardness?

>Not wanting access to your entire spell list

Lunar Oracles dont get natural spell and only the most indulgent of GMs will let you cast while being wildshaped if you pull the "b-but my dweomer cat can cast SLAs" card.

I can't be bothered to find it at the moment, but I believe there is some way to make your natural weapons act as adamantine for the purposes of bypassing DR. I don't know whether or not it would do the same for hardness though. Sorry I can't be a bit more helpful, but at least I can try to point you in the right direction

You'd be fucking yourself, seeing as wildshape tends to favor multiple small bits of damage, you'd have trouble overcoming Hardness.

+5 Amulet of Mighty Fists BEATS adamantine DR, but not hardness. I don't think there is anything that counts as adamantine for beating hardness that natural weapon users can benefit from.

Behemoth Hippo wildshape + Vital Strike for big nasty single hits.

>Hardness rules
Now that I think about it, how exactly do you deal with something with 20 hardness when the usual tricks like smite, clustered shot, pummeling style and even +4 weapons dont work.

Is this one of those campaigns where having a lancer cavalier as the martial the optional choice?

Power attack.

I'm told Str-based folks with Adamantine weapons wreck shit in IG. A Goliath Druid with a big ass adamantine warhammer or whatever would probably do just fine for himself.

Bumperino this questionino

Also, a funfact for everyone, did you know a Shaman's Spirit Magic technically doesn't stack with level, but rather with spell level, so you can still get get its full benefit if you go into a PrC

Try to get away with Behemoth Hippo wildshaping early on in that game.

You will find plenty of methods in lategame, the problem only occurs early on.

Are we talking mcguffins that temporarily allow you to ignore DR or special weapons?

I may as well build around it.

Are clerics dedicated to a cause a thing in Pathfinder? I want to be a cleric of the Laws of Man. Followup up: if so, what domains would be good for said cleric? Both for roleplaying and optimization reasons.

Well, a Druid can't even get Vital Strike until level 6. So you're pretty much left playing spellcaster before that.

A Druid of Torag can totally go Blessed Hammer and pretend to be a Magus, if they want. Not so sure it's a good plan for IG, but it's doable. Works great with Goliath Druid, too.

The Laws of Man?

It's worse than that. Druids can't get Vital Strike until level 8. 3/4 BAB yo.

Derp. I've built like six characters with 3/4 BAB in the past week, how did I forget this.

Still, there are some solid one-hit Wild Shapes that are reasonably impressive even without Vital Strike, and the Goliath Druid can use adamantine weapons to avoid the problem entirely.

Where can I pirate curse of the crimson throne? It's not on the trove.

Is a fear-based Rogue viable?

Garund stuff.
Yes, shatter defences. Just find literally any way to apply fear statuses in the same round as you attack (there are multiple options for this).

Fedora tippers.

>Domains
Community, Law, Protection

>Subdomains
Cooperation, Legislation, Loyalty, Purity, Solitude

Unchained, sure. Grab a bludgeoning weapon and the Bludgeoner and Enforcer feats, and nonlethal your way to victory.

YES IT IS.

WINK.

>implying Golarion's pantheon is worthy of worship

There's the meme build concept of the month
or last month I guess

More like Sarenrae fucked them in the ass so hard they decided the whole God thing is overrated.

Of course, this isn't something Paizo likes to talk about.

Yes, Thug rogue, power attack+cornugon smash, and various Sap-based feats can make you scary. Scarier than the average rogue, at least.

>yfw Kalim Onaku was actually an Asura
>yfw he still has a point

How could you improve Golarion's pantheon?

Like, if you were given the helm at designing a new pantheon for Golarion 2.0, what would you use as inspiration and what do you know you'd put in?

You aren't wrong, but it still gets the basics across in two words, if none of the nuance.

Shelyn is Neutral Good and based on love and beauty.

Sarenrae is Neutral Good and based on mercy and redemption.

Why doesn't Shelyn have terror cells and a history of ruining countries with over-eager missionaries?

That's a bit of a heavy question and I'd need more time to answer it properly. For now, things I would definitely keep as-is:

>Gorum (a better Khorne than GW can write)
>Besmara (she's just so much fun)
>Alseta (portals are cool, also can easily pull fluff from Janus)

Things I'd keep with only minor changes:
>Apsu and Dahak
>Naderi
>Ydersius
>the Lantern King

Alright gents, I'm about to buy some PDFs and I need one more $5 purchase to get a bonus. Any suggestions?

I HAVE to play PFS. I don't have a choice in the matter. What's the most overpowered society build?

1pp or 3pp?

Archer paladin, just mindlessly smite rapidshot niggers to death without thinking.

Shelyn should also be kept, at least in regards to being a goddess of love and beauty.

I don't have any boons, for reference. At low levels ranged seems a tad low on the power scale. Level 1 as a human with point blank and precise shot and a 14 str mod that's 1d8+3. Even with smite that's low.

>No risk
>Full attack every single round
>GM tells you the target isnt evil
>Apply smite bonuses anyways

Also why would you need boons to be a lvl 1 human paladin?

Actual answer?
Because it's a feedback cycle: Sarenrae has a terror cell established because of the original bloodthirst of the crusaders who liked to call themselves good and didn't actually care about which god they worshipped, just choosing the one with creed that could be most easily interpreted to support fanatic violence.

Now that it's established, anyone else with similar inclinations doesn't need to set up their own: they just join Sarenrae.

I would include a Sun god that's a clear mixture of Pelor and Gwyn, just so we can have Paladins with clear Solaire inspirations.

I'd also include a deity that is clearly built around the Lady of the Lake, being a goddess of chivalry, heroism and righteous authority.

I'd be really sorely tempted to put in good Cthulhu mythos as opposed to the stuff Golarion has now. Otherwise I'm honestly not sure, I'd most likely just convert all my old characters into deities because they've got enough of an alignment spread for it to work and they're all batshit crazy.

Would you want to buy something new or something you could use?

>I'd also include a deity that is clearly built around the Lady of the Lake, being a goddess of chivalry, heroism and righteous authority

I'm actually really digging this, and not just because I'm a hopeless Bretonnian fanboy.

Heck I'd just remove Golarion and use Nirn instead.
TES does a great job at mocking its own gods in lore.

Both is fine, since what I'm currently about to get are the Divination Handbook and Skyship guide by DDS (the latter because I want to see if it's as shit as the rules in the Skyborne player guide book). My group trusts me to be the voice of knowledge when it comes to 3pp

Not sure to be honest

Mien of Despair looks like it could be fun. Terrify barbarians out of their rage.

Full attack at level 1 means 1 arrow at 1d8+3. That's low damage and lacking utility of any kind.

You won't be level 1 forever, bruh.
Paladins get pretty good from level 2.

There's a pretty good argument to be made that Sarenrae is still on a reactionary backswing too far into mercy after her last big Smite A Motherfucker nearly caused the apocalypse.

For those who forgot, or never knew, the Pit of Gormuz used to be the city of Gormuz, capital of the first post-Earthfall human empire, Ninshabur. Sarenrae had told her followers to stay the fuck away from the scar where Rovagug had been sealed up, but post-apocalypse humans were idiots and proceeded to get the command completely backwards and intentionally build around the scar.

This of course resulted in everyone going increasingly insane over the millenia due to Rovagug's influence, while Sarenrae kept sending omens of "hey hey guys stop settling there get the fuck away". All those messages were ignored. Eventually she threw up her hands and sent her herald to deliver the message in person, at which point the Gormuzians went full CE and raped and murdered him.

Sarenrae proceeded to snap and hit the city so hard it drilled a hole all the way to Rovagug's prison at the center of the planet. Which turned out to be Rovagug's plan the whole time, as the first Spawn of Rovagug had been sitting down there waiting for the signal and promptly burst out and trashed the rest of Ninshabur.

So you can kinda see why Sarenrae is a little wary of smiting her erstwhile worshippers on Golarion anymore.

tl;dr Sarenrae's Sodom and Gomorrah was a trap set by Rovagug that wiped out the first human empire as collateral.

Well, if I might suggest something, maybe Sutra Magic? It looks like an interesting system, but there's no copy of the PDF in the trove to be certain. Although it's only $3, so it's just shy of what you'd want...

A little while back, I ran a campaign set in Hyrule, and shifted all magic users to psionic casting since it felt more like the magic meter in the Zelda games, so I suppose that counts?

Yeah but they don't have utility and the full attack is behind until level 5. I still don't think this would be the worst overpowered.

>Looking for utility at level 1
I...uhh...why are you forced to play Pathfinder?

Also, why not look PAST the first level? Are you guys stuck there?

>modern Zelda
>magic meter
o i am laffin

Just be a wizard and have no sense of right and wrong.

It's really not that much worse than all but the 18 Str Barbarian. And for the record, PFS lets you totally rebuild your character before you hit level 2. So go 18 Str facebeater paladin for level 1 and then swap to Archer at level 2 and give no fucks.

PSF is still garbage, though.

I think clerics have to be of gods. Oracles and iirc paladins, no, but clerics have to have a patron deity. Personally, for me a "cleric" of a cause drawing power from their own belief is more likely to be a psychic or a psionic caster of some type.

Though the idea of being a "cleric" of a mistheist code does get some bonus points for originality, Rahadoum is very strongly set against any divine magic. That was mentioned in the lore of the iconic PF oracle.

You asked for a 'society build', but so far only full attack is relevant.

Paladins are probably the best mostly martial class in 1PP. Smite, detect evil, some spellcasting, divine grace and lay on hands are incredibly useful and flexible.

Full attack is an impossibly shit metric for how good a class is.

Anybody have a character sheet that works well for the beguiler conversion?

>looking past the first level
You fucked up. Always remember: The session you play in could very well be your last. Never, EVER play anything that requires long term plans. Always play stuff that you can have fun with right out of the box.

But user, PFS is all about grinding levels.

Do you have the book or publisher name? Having a hard time finding it.

A paladin's concept is fun. Detect evil, heavy armor and smite is great.

I'm not talking about playing it for the capstone, I'm talking about fucking level two.

There are no clerics of ideals in canon Golarion, no.

Also, that's kind of retarded as concepts go. The entire points of Rahadoum and the Laws of Man is to forswear divine magic. The Pure Legion's entire shtick (and that of their archetypes and PrC and all their magic items...) is rejecting and hunting down divine casters. If divine casters could exist within that structure, the entire nation and armed forces would need rewriting to fit the new paradigm.

Sarenrae sure is hot-headed!

>implying anything in PF is fun at level 1
Even initiators are kind of lame at first level. Rusty dagger shanktown, as a whole, is hard to enjoy at all.