What can you tell me about the folk beliefs and mythology of sikhism, Veeky Forums?

What can you tell me about the folk beliefs and mythology of sikhism, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/27796127/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Virtues
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Thieves
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langar_(Sikhism)
heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20150915/NEWS01/150919410/Convicted-robber-files-6.3M-claim-against-county&template=MobileArt
youtube.com/watch?v=AaifBy2I1Eo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everything you need: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/27796127/

Namaste!

You have to always keep in mind that Sikhism was born out of the conflict between Hinduism and Islam in the Asian subcontinent, and cannot be entirely divorced from that conflict.

>*shukriya

This part of the religion states you must learn how to fight and defend yourself.

They're pretty sick.

Oh? So it's some syncretic Islamic-Hinduistic faith? Or something else?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Virtues
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Thieves

Sikhism is basically designed as an answer to Islamic extremism, borne of that previously mentioned conflict. The entire idea of it is to protect others and yourself, from what little I recall.

It always sounds to me like a designated "Paladin Religion". Very moral, very badass.

>Sikhism is basically designed as an answer to Islamic extremism
Call me stupid, and perhaps I am, but if that's the story behind it then why is it entirely separate from Hinduism? From the background knowledge you're giving, it sounds much more logical that Sikhism should've become a branch of Hinduism, maybe some "paladin caste" or something akin to Europe's religious warrior orders like the Templars and Knights of St. John.

Well, taken literally, 'Sikh' means 'Learner'. Overall Sikhism is a much more open-minded religion that espouses positive traits over negative ones, like the above mentioned five virtues versus five thieves. In a lot of ways Sikhism was shaped significantly by Islamic extremism, due to the conflicts borne of their contentious religions. Islamic religion teaches submission to god, whereas Sikhism espouses ridding oneself of the negative traits to become one with god.

Additionally, Islamic religions ultimately teach there is one god to the exclusion of all else, often to violent ends. Sikhism by comparison takes an open minded view of other religious beliefs or spiritual pursuits.

Additionally, Sikhs and their military learnings/beliefs somewhat incline them to fight against what is largely held to be a tyrannical religious organisation that seeks their subjugation.

Overall, Sikhs are pretty cool guys. Any day of the week I'd rather have them in my neighbourhood over almost any other religion.

Because it actually believes in capital G god, kinda. It's not really an "offshoot" of Hindusim at all.
It's also the most recently created of the major world religions with a large number of adherents, being only as recent as the 14th or 15th century I believe.

When I say 'designed as an answer', I didn't exactly mean it was made to be that, but shaped into it down the line.

I can't speak to it's origins and whether or not these things changed at some point, but the Five K's includes the wearing of a Kirpan at all times; to come to the aid of those in need of defense.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks

If you read the entry for the Kirpan, it's pretty godamn paladin as fuck. But getting back to my point; I'd be hard pressed to believe that Islamic religion didn't have some serious effects on the Sikh's beliefs.

Given the previous records of Islamic demands for capitulation from Sikhs and the consequent torture and murder of those that refused to bow, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of undercurrent of resisting Islamic or in general any tyrannical belief that tries to undermine the Sikh religious and moral systems.

>Sikhism by comparison takes an open minded view of other religious beliefs or spiritual pursuits.

sikh's are brotier this is not true though, the temple near where I lived as a kid had near-riots amongst themselves over whether people were allowed to use tables and chairs inside it

Dunno man. Where I live, the Sikhs that are around me are really open to other people. They're happy to talk about their own beliefs and are happy to let you have your own, though they'll still take the chance to try and help you down the right path as far as their beliefs go. That being said, the five virtues and five thieves are such broad concepts that it's not even that much of a bad thing to be enticed into it. Basic stuff like 'don't be a dick', sort of logic.

One of the most important parts of Sikhism is the equality of all peoples, so their religious leaders are very critical of the inequality in the Hindu caste system. Their temples are open to anyone and there are free kitchens for everyone. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langar_(Sikhism)

This leads nicely into a story I have to tell.

So, once this kid goes into our LGS which I was there to meet some friends (I actually order most of my books online), and this guy who was Sikh walks in; I recognized his turban and kirpan on sight.
Now, big neckbeard edgelord LGS owner apparently is not big on the Muslims (watches a lot of Fox News I guess) and was getting all up in his face about him being a Muslim, but with Sikh guy, who just wanted to buy some fucking Magic cards, was just being polite and wanting to buy his stuff and leave rather then bug him.
Finally I lost my temper and told the lardass idiot that he was a Sikh and NOT a Muslim and that he wasn't even Middle-Eastern, which of course didn't faze him much because now I'd made him look like a fucking idiot in front of the whole store and he wasn't going to take that lying down, so he ends up kicking me out ALONG with the Sikh guy. I was kinda pissed, but I took it in stride as did the Sikh guy and we both kinda walked off together.

We ended up getting Magic cards at this place that was run by someone who WASN'T racist and stupid, played a few games together, and we're still friends to this day. I consider this guy one of the more decent human beings I know and one of my most loyal friends overall.

yeah like I said they are definitely brotier, but they are just as susceptible to letting beliefs cause schisms as anyone else

Yeah, that's pretty fucking ridiculous. Calling a Sikh out as a Muslim is like calling a Canadian an American, or New Zealanders as Australians, but even more insulting considering the history there.

MTG playing Sikh sounds pretty great though.

>the heinous crime of mistaking a member of one former British colony for another
I hope you're memeing right now. The Japanese and Koreans would be a much more apt comparison in every regard.

All the Sikh's I've met were pretty cool guys. I might be a little biased 'cause a Sikh valet took a bullet for one of my ancestors back in 1857.

Google the story of Baba Deep Singh - 10/10 mythology

This guy has it right. America bit the dick that was feeding it to become top pimp. Canada seems to enjoy sucking at this point.

well the koreans and japanese dont consider each other enemies any more, so...

Depends on which Korea you mean, friend-o.

It is and he is, yes.
He keeps joking when he re-tells the story of how he met me to other folks when they ask that I'd make a pretty good Sikh the way I "just jumped in to the defense of someone you didn't even know just because you knew he was being wronged", to which I usually respond that I can't really pull off long hair or a beard and I'd look stupid as fuck if I tried.

I play D&D with him too actually, whenever we have the time.

Considering that most people say "korea and north-korea" it is quite clear what most consider to be the true korea.

Correction. Most people who aren't idiots refer to the area as Korea but when being specific to which part of that area its South Korea or North Korea.
You're like one of those braindeaders that goes "w-w-well everyone e-e-else says EYERACK!" Just because your backwards ass social circle of retards mispronounces and mislabels shit doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

That's like saying that the US is the only country in either of the continents.
>inb4 memes

you'd call it America and North America i'd imagine. And in an oddly fitting twist the country to the north is also the worst of the 2.

The continents are North America and South America.
When talking about both of them, The Americas is the correct wording. The New World is also acceptable if you're comparing to Europe and its Old World.

not him but most people really don't care and it's your own diagnosable autism that causes you to

I wish the philosophy behind the kirpan was more prevalent in our society. The idea that it's more virtuous to submit to criminal predation than to resist it is just another cancerous idea made trendy and fashionable by progressivism.

>Have you ever been so angry that you've cut your own head off?

The issue is its easier on people. They don't have to be active in their own protection which means they can shift blame when something unfortunate happens and its easier on the ego in that they aren't partially at fault for being preyed upon through weakness.
Tl;dr Victim Complex

Also the lawsuit mentality that's so prevalent.

Here, have a giggle, then a good, long cry. heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20150915/NEWS01/150919410/Convicted-robber-files-6.3M-claim-against-county&template=MobileArt

Unfortunately the philosophy behind the kirpan doesn't necessarily apply to a gun simply because you're literally part of an entire religion and choosing an entire way of life that teaches them to be responsible with said use of force and self-defense and not act like an idiot.
Speaking as someone who owns a firearm for home defense and has served in the military, I wouldn't trust 95% of the human beings I meet in this country with a gun because all of them are staggeringly idiotic and are more likely to cause problems then use them only in situations where violence is required.

Especially since a lot of the guys who seem to MOST WANT guns in this country are the some of the least responsible human beings I've ever met and want them just so they can have them, which is NOT a good reason to carry around and learn to use a piece of extremely dangerous equipment.
You want to own a gun and get trained and shoot stuff? Go join the Army and serve your country, it quite literally runs off turning worthless assholes like that into functioning individuals in a larger organization.

It's hard to get past that dark part of the history. North Korea still aims its nukes at Japan, and even South Koreans don't like them much.

>tfw the US will never incentivise going to a shooting range, getting a safety refresher, and demonstrating reasonable capability with your firearm of choice every few years with a tax break or something

B-b-but muh 2nd amendment

Why are you posting this here and not on Veeky Forums?

As a former serviceman I want firearms laws to go to one of two ways.

>1: Legalized but regulated AT LEAST as much as having a goddamn car is regulated because it's the same kind of training and involvement needed to correctly use them, except unlike cars the usage of a gun is strictly "kills people". The better regulated it is the less likely the lazy fucks who want to increase their philosophical dick size by owning a gun will get one because it's a hassle and lazy people dislike hassles. In addition, the education and training involved will make you less stupid about using it and ensure you don't hurt anyone and clarify legal situations on who fucked up where when someone gets shot. Basically, treat it exactly like getting a car. Simple and efficient,

>2: Ban them among civilians entirely because most individuals I meet can barely be expected to use cars responsibly, so how could you expect them to EVER responsibly use a cheaper car that kills?

Preferably I'd choose the latter because I don't believe in punishing everyone for the idiocy of a few, but it's getting to the point where those few are so loud and so actively harmful to this country that I'm starting very swiftly to loose patience with them anyway.
I went to the local NRA branch just once in my life and I couldn't even believe the absolute wastes of carbon half of the members were. It was like they thought owning a gun made up for the fact that they contributed absolutely nothing to society and actually had nothing worth getting out of bed for and not just instead using their rifles on their proper targets and thereby make the world a bit less stupid.

The second amendment was made for weapons that are less powerful, less accurate, slower to reload, and less efficient then a 9mm automatic pistol.

A LOT of shit has changed since 1789.
We can keep the amendment, but making people legally responsible and trained for holding onto guns is a fairly rational thing to do since we do it with cars, drugs, insurance, home-owning, and literally every other aspect of our society.
I don't think I've ever met a Tea Party Member who could hack it in the military, regardless of branch.
They're all such whiny self-entitled little turds and most don't have the fortitude to get all that selfish bullshit beaten out of them so they can function as contributing members of an organization.

You'd never get those kinds of restrictions past any large scale legislature, much less the supreme court. Rewarding proper education and technique is really the only way it would ever get done and the NRA would probably still kick your teeth in for trying.

I feel like we've gotten pretty far from Sikhs, though.

More than just training in how not to accidentally shoot yourself and/or others, people really need to have regular instruction on the legal consequences of squeezing one off the instant they feel verbally threatened.

Speaking as the owner of a dozen firearms, my states laws on what constitutes reasonable force has caused me to take beatings in stride before I'd even pull a knife, let alone fire a gun at a person.

True that, on both points!

This thread could be Sikher.

my nigga

>The Japanese and Koreans would be a much more apt comparison in every regard.
user,
>not white
>turband
>beard
They check all the boxes and then some, because Muslims usually don't wer turbands. Little wonder that the Usians started attacking Sikhs after 9/11.

>not white
>turband
>beard
What do those have to do with the differences between Aussies and Kiwis? Maybe you should do some stretches and wake up a bit.

I really hate the fact that gun registration won't fly in the US because "then the gubmint will have a list of gun owners for when they want to take away all our guns".

But I don't think that's an unreasonable fear and can completely see their point, so I don't know what to suggest.

This sadly, recently younger more 'radical' Sikh's are protesting outsiders marrying into the faith. These are mostly Sikh's living in England though, proving that not living in a third world country makes you forget what real oppression fucking is.

They can't cut their hair. Everyone is called 'lion' and gets a sword. They're super generous with their food at a party. Will give it to anyone passing or working with them.

Oh wow this should be like America's new motto

It IS. Its how we control shit economically and why our debt technically means jack shit whereas greeces debt had to be paid.

Education may help for cases of impulsive action without thought, but the core of the issue is that as long as guns are widely available to the public there will be people who premeditate and then carry out murder with them.

And America is so saturated with guns that cleanup would be terribly ugly and take years and billions of dollars of tax payers money.

You know the term debt refers to different things for a nation issuing bonds and a private individual, right?

Some of them apparently consider Nidar Singh there to be complete tosser. youtube.com/watch?v=AaifBy2I1Eo

Say that to the guys in the black vans outside of Yasakuni...

The point is that no one will come knocking at our door for large settlements. Destabilizing our economy destabilizes everyones economy its just that big, wide spread, and in everyones pies. Its why every currency is compared the dollar for general worth.

The people who wrote the 2nd amendment weren't idiots, they saw how technology was advancing, the puckle gun is a great example. It silly to believe that the 2nd amdment was written with only weapons of current era in mind. 2nd is fine how it is.

I guess because he wants to use it in his setting for tabletop. I guess you will respond with something like "clean the board from this", "unrelated shit", "*angry phrase about quests*" etc.

The 2nd amendment was written to enable a quick-to-mobilise militia for the protection of the country. Now it enables mostly morons who think they don't have to pay taxes 'cause they don't want to and similar people.

Now I wish I had that screencap from saved.

I'm a Hindu and I can tell you that we have some pretty awful extremists ourselves.

American debt is sod in the form of bonds, which do pay put at the date on the bond. If you purchase ten thousand dollars of Canadian bonds, for exanpme, you can only redeem them for ten thousand dollars at the end of their term, you can't walk up to anyone and demand your money before then. Same for American bonds (ie debt) which are purchased in bulk even at low interest rates because they're seen as rock-steady investments. The reason the US sells them in the first place is to indirectly set interest rates in money markets.

If you want something more legit to have an economic panic attack over, look at the trade deficit or something.

Imagine it this way.

Sikhs are humans.

Hindus are elves.

Muslims are orcs.

You're really clueless. The ownership of a weapon for any lawful use is the right of a free man. More people own guns that you seem to think, if you characterize militia LARPers as an "average" gun owner.

Misunderstanding of what a "militia" is, under any context, seems common amongst you types, too. A militia is a local organization for defense of the community.

>for lawful use
See, git, and da grotz that own gunz are usually too dumb to understand dat shootin' cats, dogs and people that scratched their car is not lawful