Legend of the Five Rings General - /L5RG/

Who is hyped for L5R LCG?
I can't wait to get my Nezumi on again.

>2017
>Not building Mantis out of the core box

>Thinking Mantis will even be in Core.
Mantis is a little kid of a clan compared to the others, they have only been around for like 1,100 years. They are babies compared to the other clans. No way they are in Core.

Crane are going to dominate the Core set anyways. All the FFG LCGs get insanely strong control cares in the Core set and Crane is the control faction.

But much scorpion political deck

>>Implying the Nezumi will ever be back in the game.

You are a funny Kakita Jester. You could come to my court any season.

IMO Scorpion is going to be Ninjas in the Core. I also think they are going to be removing the option of Honor Win/Loss.
At the VERY least they are going to remove Honor Requirements on personalities.

Reminder that we won the CCG and its time for us to win the LCG!

IB Out of the Shadows is reprinted and it becomes the new "broken" card in Core.

MFW you think Spider Clan is going to be in the LCG.

There is a rumor going around my play group that FFG is going to ultra SJW/PC scrub the setting.
Don't fuck this up FFG, you have the lives of thousands of fans hanging in the balance.

That would be pretty funny that the ultimate Yellow-Face setting gets PCed to the max.

I want the Ninjas to be their own faction again. I loved having armies wonder the mists looking for my stronghold.

I can see the return of Naga long before we see the return of a Ninja faction.

I for one hope that we see Celestials return. I really enjoyed those.

>Celestials
>Not Winds
Pleb

My predictions for the Core Set clans, it will be some mix of this set:
-Crab Clan
-Crane Clan
-Dragon Clan
-Lion Clan
-Mantis Clan
-Phoenix Clan
-Scorpion Clan
-Spider Clan
-Unicorn Clan
-Naga
-Ninja
-Ratling
-Spirit
-Toturi's Army
-Brotherhood of Shinsei
-Shadowlands Horde
-Hare Clan/Imperial

Why do you have the Hare Clan as Hare/Imperial? They have never had super close ties to the Emperor. If anything should be Imperial it should be Toturi's Army.

I am fairly sure he just copied the clan list from the Legacy rules. They have Hare and Imperial like that since they are only clans when their respective IDs are in play.

Man, I really hope they don't fuck this up. I have such a boner just thinking about the possibilities of this as a (good) LCG.

Netrunner was good till Lukas stopped giving a fuck about game balance.
It's like halfway into his run he went "The players will figure it out".

Can't fucking wait!

So burned out on Netrunner and I'm ready to come back to L5R.

Always one of my favorite RPG settings so if the LCG gets fucked up I can just retreat back to PnP I guess.

I'm hopeful. I loved Warhammer Invasion, heard good things about Star Wars and Netrunner and generally have quite high faith in FFG.

This thread is just a copy of the much better /ANR? thread. leave the dead game dead!

Meh, LCG format sucks anyway. Meta changes too fast.

Place your bets folks:
- Reboot
- Continuation
- Only major events/Continuation
of the story.

Reboot hopefully.

Executive overrides and blatant favoritism doesn't count as winning.

Preferably 3., but I can live with a reboot. The current story, especially the last few bits, is a clusterfuck that I want to see dead.

Reboot is my hope.
The core set at least should be as era agnostic as they can make it, with each faction being as normal as they can be to establish the baseline of what each faction is and what it is that they do.
Then they can make era based expansions with the events and oddities mixed in.

The RPG is still relevant, and that alone gives legitimacy to this thread.
Talking about the RPG, PLEASE FFG, improve on the court system and make it a fullblown combat system. 5e can't come out fast enough.

As long as they don't replace Roll and Keep with special dice. I'd be ambivalent about adding special dice to Roll and Keep, but actually getting rid of it would be a complete no sell for me. It's a good, iconic core system.

Honestly the only thing I ask of the RPG is they don't make it one of their stupid speshul dice and expensive peripherals systems.

R&K is way to popular to discard it. They kept the d100 system for the WH books, as such I'm pretty confident in saying R&K will stay.

>They kept the d100 system for the WH books
And then threw in a bunch of other crap peripherals on top of it to make up for it.

I just want to be able to play the game with the gear I already have an a book.

Well, I'm going to stick with 4e if it turns out to be crap. 4e has almost everything you could need to run any kind of Rokugani RPG you could want. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

True enough. As a ST, I can't complain. It's also fairly easy to homebrew missing/faulty mechanics.

How can they make the game even more PC? Removing the racism/superiority complex from the setting would be ludicrous. The game has been gender-neutral for a while withe a small favoritism towards women considering that all patriarchies are gone and only matriarchies have been kept.

Crying sore losers get out, Rokugan belongs to Daigotsu Kanpeki now. Should've chosen Shiabatsu as emperor over Seiken... oh wait, that never would have mattered anyway!

LaughingDaigotsu.jpg

I made a thing by adapting the human version of Mochatchikkan from Way of the Open Hand to 4e and boiling it down the martial art mechanics from 3e into a path and want feedback. Mochatchikkan is the Nezumi unarmed fighting style that is occasionally taught to humans. A nezumi that knows it well is a Mocha-mocha. A human that learns it is a Krtich'chifchikkan. The main difference is that humans don't have tails and can't take advantage of tail based movement or attacks. I tried to make it slightly more powerful than similar martial arts due to the difficulty of even learning it and the mystical abilities it comes with.

Path: Krtich'chifchikkan (Aka "Human-stumbling-about-with-great-skill")
- Replaces: Any Bushi or Monk 2 (or 3?)
- Requirements: Meditation 2, Jijutusu 2, access to a Mocha'mocha capable of teaching, can only be taken with GM permission
- Technique: Casting Down The Stalks
After selecting your stance in a skirmish, you may select Strength or Agility and make a Meditation roll with a TN equal to the selected Trait x 5. If successful, you gain +1 to the selected Trait for a number of rounds equal to its associated Ring. You may only have one of these bonuses at any time, but can cancel a previous bonus at will. This ability can only be used while unarmed. In addition, once per round, you may gain a free raise on an unarmed attack against an enemy you have attacked in the previous round.

They will make the Crab Clan Russians, Mantis Taiwanese, Spider/ shadowlands white, Lion Black, Scorpion Chinese, Unicorn Mongolian. Crane Japanese, Dragon Tibetan,

Every Clan Champion will be a women, every other one will also be gay and they will do away with the "marriage is for clan and children" rules of rokugani society so gay, proud, samurai can walk around in the open without bringing shame.

In fact they might just overhaul the "shame" based society all the way, because being looked down upon for your actions is triggering to players. Only Honor is allowed.

The taint also , with its description as a disease of the soul which marks you as an outsider and shunned by society, like HIV, will be removed all together as to not allow that kind of perspective.

MTG went there with Tarkir. No need to outright copy it.

Don't remind of that asspull. Especially after that the Story Team kinda slipped the information that Seiken and Shibatsu were interchangeable anyway, and so absolutely useless.
The franchise being sold explained ALOT of shit that happend during the last year of the game.

It's almost enough to make you wonder if AEG were going full scorched earth knowing the property was being sold.

But, at the same time, they had hired new people for the CCG and story team writers not even a few months before the announcement was made, indicating it kind of came out of nowhere, which itself indicates that people got so sick of the bullshit they kept pulling with the storyline that the game just tanked.

It's already been so long and it's not even coming until GenCon 2017?

Does anyone even care about L5R anymore?

A good number actually. There is even a fan organized Winter Court in the works. And apparently some LCG players are showing some interest in the game too.

A lot of people care about the RPG at least. There's just nothing to talk about right now because nothing new is coming out and nothing new has come out in a while.

The Game was sold at Gencon last year, the rep from Fantasy Flight literally walked up to the head of AEG and offered to buy it, and then they spent the entire weekend working out a deal, behind most of the employees backs, then spent a month or two doing the legal work in secret.

I knew a few members of the brand and story team, guys that were hired mere months earlier and they learned literally when everyone else did and BAM, no more work for them.

The worst part of it all was that in the few months leading to the selling and announcement of the end of the CCG the Brand and Story team actually got the players excited, trying to awaken that deep passion the remaining players had. They even were able to do it with the dumbest premise of an arc possible, Onyx Edition... also known as the "HurrDurr Kanpeki And Daigotsu conquor the empire and rule it for 1-2 generations by using the magical Jigoku Mcguffins we just came up with k? Now every clan's playerbase can vote to remain good guys or to become 'stronger' yet more evil versions of themselves. Oh yeah, these choices have in game mechanical consequenses." Only to have them get a flat out no from everyone interested.

Pitiful really, they ruined the only creative thing they came up with, the progressives vs traditionalist conflict, which could have continued another arc or two and threw it under the rug to bring back the shadowlands, except its the entire empire now...

No matter what else though, L5R had the best draft environment of any CCG I've played in the last two years. I'll miss that most of all.

I'm glad I never drafted it, since I'd just force Crab every time and ignore signals.

Dude I remember that shit. All last year they made the whole Progressive/Traditionalist shit look like it would matter, open war in colonies, entire traditional aspects of rokugani society being challenged, it had the potential to become the most interesting thing to happen to the game since clan wars. The company promised sever consequences if the clans backed the wrong heir and had VERY clear hints dropping as to what each heir would do if they became emperor.

But none of it mattered, because some guy at the top decided to trash it for Onyx Edition, with the FIRST FREAKING THING to happen was for the emperor to remove Kanpeki's status as champion of the Spider, then give the championship to his brother, all the while the writing is making it VERY CLEAR that this breaks the deal with Jigoku and this leads to the Spider first rebelling, then unlocking the brand new "seals of Jigoku" that never existed before this year, which merges Jigoku with rokugan, giving Spider a complete auto win. Then Kanpeki gets to rule the empire for a generation or more as they time skip into onyx edition. It was so forced and awful, It made fucking Goddess Part 4 look good.

At the last wintercourt the progressive shit was going places. A big theme of that court was an alliance of the progressive clans forming while the traditional clans only pulled themselves together in the last couple of weeks.

The progressive alliance from what I read was an economic alliance between the Crane, Mantis, Unicorn, and Spider. The crane with their land markets, the Mantis with their pretty much complete monopoly of the seas, the Unicorn with the Ide Land caravans, and the Spider with the sheer wealth of the colonies. It was looking like a fucking new Gozuko again, except economically founded. As a Unicorn fan I freaking loved it, only to watch it whitewashed by the need to shove endless spider down our throats.

I'm assuming it's a full reboot? What will happen to the current game? Are they replacing the current dev team with FF people or what? Are there any gameplay details?

L5R always seemed like a cool setting (it's weeabo but not moeshit), and the gameplay from what I gathered was at least interesting.

What is up with fantasy people pulling giant evil shit out like it's the best idea ever? I played mageknight back in the day, and despite the apoclypse faction getting a resounding 'lol no' from players by getting crushed in every scenario they were in, they still kept pushing it and their bullshit 5-headed dragon thing while the game burned down.

Did Magic actually increase their female audience with going full PC or is it just a safety measure to avoid getting called out on by fringe groups that don't even play the game?

Executive interference and hack writers too full of themselves to realize it.

It's just a safety measure to avoid getting called out on by fringe groups that don't even play the game.

Actually, FFG has yet to make an official statement about it. There is no information about it and they seem to be adamant about revealing it during Gencon 2017.

FFG tight-lipped,
fans wanting news must wait for
Gencon '17.

Why is everyone so buttmad about bestclan?

I don't know what you're talking about, no one's buttmad about the Crab.

You seem to have misspelled "Crane" there, buddy.
No worries, everybody makes mistakes.
Except, of course, the Crane

You both seem to be confused. I was talking about the Spider-clan

Muh Jigoku brother!
#HailTheOneTrueDarkLord
#HallowedBeHisProdgeny

Hate to be that shit, but i really wish i could find a game of L5R to join

L5R games are kind of tough to be honest. I ran a 3rd edition game a few years ago for a couple months and I felt like I wasn't doing it justice. Combat is very lethal so getting into D&D style skirmishes is not really advisable, a lot of the appeal of the game comes from the setting and doing court politics and stuff like that which I didn't think I did a very good job of, mostly I had the players investigating the resurgence of the Shadowlands Taint.

spider took it

Anyone tried playing Modern L5R? 50/50 singleton with cards from SamArc to EP. Its my current favorite format of the game.

This.
I always feel like I'm watering down the more rigid parts of the culture and social etiquette rules, even though my players apparently love the way I make it come through as an important and prevalent part of the setting. But they're also casual scrubs who don't really know anything about it other than what they read in the core book and what I tell them.

He said best clan not, "Shit Clan forced into prominence by the faggoty higher ups in the company that should have been eliminated when they were "destroyed" at the end of the Race for the Throne."

>Shit clan forced into prominence by faggotry
He's not talking about Scorpion

I want a mix of R&K with Special Dice. Their Star Wars RPG has been the only thing to pull me away from L5R since the system is just so amazing to play. If they combine them I'd be in heaven.

aaaaand now I hate Spider even more. They are the fucking Space Marines of L5R.

Reboot. There are thousands of years of DEEPEST LORE that no one gives a shit about. The warring clans can stay and everything else about the setting can go.

The entire point of making it a thousand years+ is that there are big gaps between important events that aren't officially filled in. The setting is rife with rewritten and erased history, so a GM can fit events that shake up the entire country without actually getting in the way of "official" eras. Anything that makes an emperor look bad (Like ruling so poorly that a popular rebellion happens) gets whitewashed. It's even a plot point with Hantei XVI, who was so bad that his entire reign was cut down to "He was the emperor and then he died peacefully, the end." in the official history records a generation or so later. It's why he was able to get support when he came back hundreds of years later through the spirit gate. Nobody knew anything about him whatsoever.

I want to get hype for the LCG reboot, but these threads fill me with apprehension. It's pretty clear that the fans are a big part of what's wrong with the game. Giving the IP to a different company isn't going to change that.

But the Lair works almost nothing like the Dark Path of the Shadow. It creates a very different dynamic than the Dark Path.

The Lair can be used even if the army is above 10 Force to shrink the army by 9 Force or by a single target with more than 9 Force. The Dark Path only works if the opposing army has 9 or less Chi. Keep your army's total Chi 10 or more and they all are safe from the box. The Lair REQUIRES the enemy army force to be unopposed, the Dark Path can be done regardless of the presence of your units. The units sent home by the Dark Path are also Bowed and thus unable to provide a defense and less likely to be useful if moved back in. The Units sent home by the Lair can be moved in without issue, they just can't be stopped from going home.

When the story team takes the game in stupid directions and blatantly favor one faction over the others (While also trying to create a faction based environment with faction based rewards), of course the fans are going to complain.
Some of the story events literally made player choices pointless and had almost every character in the story make the worst possible decisions in rapid cascades of stupidity.

Those seals that Kanpeki used are the worst asspull ever to be introduced to the game.
Literally a half dozen major villains (Including evil jesus and the literal god he usurped) would have jumped at the chance to unleash something like that. Jigoku itself would have rushed to do it, because it is greedy and impatient and unleashing those seals literally gives it everything it ever wanted out of ningen-do.
30-something irl years and 1000-something in-game years and then suddenly there's an instant win condition for Jigoku because the writers were handed a scenario and told to make it happen somehow.

It's equivalent to there being a button that someone could press in 40k that would expand the eye of terror to consume the entire galaxy, and the button has supposedly always been there and has been mostly unguarded the entire time.

What is the weirdest character you have ever run into Veeky Forums?
Odd backstory, weird concept or just not getting the game, we've all seen some strange concepts in the game.

The AEG's story team has really been dicks about shit so many times. They used to hate the Lion so bad they would twist story wins in to Lion-fuckfests. It got to the point where Lion players would refuse story prizes for fear of getting fucked. The whole Oni no Okura thing happened because a player (later proved to be cheating and permabanned from L5R) decided to fuck over the Lion and the Story Team enthusiastically got on board.

Then there was the climax to the Race for the Throne. The Scorpion and Dragon worked hand in hand for most the Race under the agreement that the Scorpion would get the Throne and the Dragon would get the Voice and another seat I forgot which. The Scorpion players were amazingly well organized and mobilized to point they had the Throne and the Emerald Championship sewed up with the Dragon getting the Voice and were a strong contender for the Adviser. Then AEG decided at the minute to make the last leg of the Race worth quadruple points and for it to be a popularity contest. People freaked out over the Scorpion "loser" condition, destroying the second place clan, in this case their ally the Dragon, which they helped carry to second place. So the Dragon won the popularity contest and their "loser" condition targeted the Spider with destruction. The Story Team went "lolnope" and Spider got their dicks sucked for the next two arcs.

I don't even play any of the clans involved, I am Unicorn player, and it made me really salty.

>It's pretty clear that the fans are a big part of what's wrong with the game
Care to elaborate?

I don't know if that guy ascribes to it, but there are some people who believe that anyone who doesn't just take whatever the game's developers shovel at them in stride are always wrong and/or just being whiny bitches for literally no reason and anyone who gets invested in the setting or story should stop playing entirely because they "ruin" the game somehow.

MFW FFG strips down the game and turns it into anime bullshit to sell to the widest market they can.

They've also been a Great Clan for most of the duration the game has existed. Internal fluff aside, they've been there from the beginning and very quickly became a GC.

They function pretty much the same as the minor clan alliance.
Frankly, I hope they tone down the pokeclan mentality that the Mantis seem to have. Or at least fix the way they dilute them. As is, they absorb minor clans, then suck the uniqueness and life out of them. It's pretty annoying.

I'm still not over them taking the Moshi and Kitsune.

#KitsuneforCore

FFG needs to make all the clans into fully playable factions then do a major tournament at Gencon 2016 where the top X each get to pick a clan for Core. We can get a Core box filled entirely with Minor Clans!

That would be so gay the Society for the Promotion of Faggotry would say, "Hey, you need to turn it down a notch."

Bumpu

fucking sauce on that card? or is it some new preview art?

just TRY google searching that.

So I'm building an Akutenshi as the end-game villain for my 4e campaign, anyone know some good Spider clan alternate paths or schools I could use for him? For reference, he's a Daigotsu bushi, so I can't really use anything for maho since he can't cast spells.

I seem to recall in Enemies of the Empire there's an Advanced School called Maho-bujin. Alternatively, make him a Dark Paragon or an Obsidian Sensei/Warrior.

The entire point of maho is that there is no requirement for it other than taking on the taint. If he is physically capable of speaking the words that the kansen want to hear, they'll come running.
That's why it's such a huge threat. Anyone who is literate can learn maho from a scroll, and anyone who isn't an idiot can remember a sentence or two that someone (or something) told them once, and the tainting effects aren't immediately obvious even to the caster.

Maho-bujin is brutal.
The first rank of it lets you make as many raises as your taint rank instead of your void, and you can make extra attacks with 2 raises instead of 5.
Rank 2 increases their initiative by their Taint and let them make any attack as a simple action.
Rank 3 lets them heal whenever they knock someone Down or Out (As many times per round as they want) and gives them Invulnerability or DR 10 (If they already have invuln.).
Added on top of Akutenshi powers and whatever other schools they have, it's very powerful.

>I can't really use anything for maho since he can't cast spells.
Yeah you can.

Anyone, ANYONE, can learn maho. That's one of the major temptations of it.

Maho actually is a good idea for your big endgame villain to use, at least to open the fight.
Imagine that he's got a hostage (Maybe someone important to the PCs?). So they barge in on him and his hostage, he chants out a horrible spell (Which is now something everyone in earshot can replicate as long as they spill blood and say the same words), stabs the hostage, and casts No Pure Breaths directly on the heaviest hitter. Then he tosses the corpse aside and charges like the berserker he is.

And killing the hostage would do enough damage to give him... Probably 2 free raises, if not 3 or 4. Plenty to target the entire group with one spell and cast that spell in a single Complex action. And then he gets just a little more tainted, which might actually help him further if it knocks him up to a new taint rank and he's got powers that key off of taint rank.
Maho is nasty stuff, especially if your raises are only limited by your taint rank and you don't care about kidnapping someone to sacrifice.

Wait, really? I thought you had to be a shugenja to use maho. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, I saw Maho Bujin in Enemies of the Empire. I thought that was only for the insane madmen in the shadowlands though, if you can still have concious thoughts and take that school, I think I'll do exactly that. Maybe an alternate path based on Maho too, while I'm at it.

Also, how do you know if an encounter is balanced or not in 4e? I'm building the villain with the idea that he'll be fighting against the party and a couple NPCs at the Third Day of Thunder, so I'm building him at Insight Rank 9. He'll have Taint
rank 5, Daigotsu Bushi 5/Maho Bujin 3 and one rank of another school, can't decide which yet. He also has Touch of the Spirit Realm (Jigoku), so he'll be adding double his taint rank to attack and physical trait rolls. Is that too crazy even for 7 samurai at Insight 7 or 8 to fight? Or is it fine?

In my running campaign, I am preparing a maho tsukai outbreak with strong parallels to the Snake clan incident. Good thing my players aren't lore nerds.

>7
I mean 9. One from each of the great clans, plus the descendant of Shinsei.

Its preview art on FFGs site.
We'd get such a horrible assortment from the player base. Especially if minor clans are in.