Has any of your characters ever become a god, Veeky Forums?

Has any of your characters ever become a god, Veeky Forums?

working on it honey.

That was pretty much the endgame goal of just about every OD&D campaign.

Sort of? He got tethered to his goddess as punishment for both of them, but unexpectedly overtime they fused into one being.

Why is homu so lewd, have she no shame?

Not just any old god, an elder god.

I played a Pathfinder witch once who's familiar was "grooming" her to be a vessel for it's god, all while telling her it was "protecting" her and "teaching" her. It even let her go on "adventures" because it was a good excuse to get her to channel magical power and grow more "aligned" and closely tied to said god.

Unfortunately the rest of the party eventually caught on to what was happening and managed to find a way to sever the connection and permanently banish the familiar.

Played the very same character next game as a 1st level wizard, having to learn magic from the ground up since she wasn't getting it from some extra-dimensional "old god" anymore.

No. But he did become a saint. Ironically, saint of the religion he only pretended to follow and actually despised, while his actual god was killed alongside with him and forgotten by history.

Because by the time she's wearing that slutty dress, it's because she's decided she has to be the Devil. And lewd is just how lady-Devils are.

Because the writing in that movie pretty much took everything that was great about the original series, threw in a good dose of Bioware-tier "artistic integrity", and basically turned it all into non-sensical shit.

Fuck oh dear was that movie a disappointment on so many levels.

My Bard eventually ascended to become the God of economic trade and innovation.

I like the movie but I can understand why some people are upset with it. I have a feeling it was planned quite a bit in advance.

The left is the last page of the manga, published long before the movie. And right is from the manga version of the movie.

Who plans in advance to write a completely finished story, with a satisfying ending that makes sense... and then decides "HEY, I'M GONNA UNDO IT FOR NO REASON, RETCON HALF THE RULES OF THE ORIGINAL UNIVERSE, AND BASICALLY RAPE THE CHARACTERS CHARACTER BY MAKING THEM BEHAVE MORE LIKE PLOT DEVICES THAN CHARACTERS!"

It was a shameless cash-grab, pure and simple. The creator made something popular and the studio decided they needed to suck even more money out of it. Please just let me believe this, because the alternative is mind-numbingly depressing on so many levels of disappointment).

I like to think they left the door open for a future show were the hero casts down the devil.

But seriously Homu was a pretty shitty person even in the anime.

Well at any rate, we've gone pretty off-topic, haven't we, so maybe we should just agree to end this conversation here.

No, but lewds between my halfling bard and the drow healslut in a bath house culminated in giving birth to a god.
The drow in question died while pregnant and after trying to revive her with magic, we ended up only able to save the baby girl who was the reincarnation of the ascended goddess who crated the entire city we were in.
The DM set it up where the group had to raise her based on our ideals (She grew up remarkably fast), and after telling her to ignore the cynical paladins (worshipper of Hoar I think?) moral guidance, basically convinced her to ascend once again into the guardian of the city, instead of destroying it.

I once had a PC ascend to godhood in a game I was running, and they did so awesomely.

It was a sci-fi fantasy game of eldritch abominations and the collective unconscious, but while most of the players were content to just punch giant monsters in the face and not question where their weird powers came from, one player had their PC (for completely reasonable IC reasons) start investigating. Slowly, she unraveled the metaphysics of the universe, testing it with experiments and using her discoveries to help the team out in combat.

Eventually, she realized that the characters had been purposefully set up as vessels for the collective unconscious of humanity, their fame and heroism constantly displayed to the whole human race to keep a flow of energy into their souls, empowering them but also potentially dehumanizing them, eroding their existence and replacing it with an idealized, imagined version conjured up by the collective mind of humanity. She wasn't having any of that, and pulled the most amazing bullshit I can ever imagine.

With a lot of hard work, and great timing, she hijacked one of the media events arranged to reinforce their role as the heroes of humanity, twisting it all around to her, and through spiritual and psychological manipulation, imprinted herself onto the collective unconscious. Instead of being infused with an archetypal image of the creative genius, she remade that very idea in her image, effectively becoming a goddess of the collective unconscious, unifying herself and her personality with the very idea of creativity and innovation. I did not see it coming, but it was too clever and inventive not to reward as a GM, and I didn't make the PC overpowered because of it. it just had an effect on their endgame and post-game fate. 'God Empress of Humanity' is a pretty big title, but I can't say she didn't earn it through brilliance, boldness and bullshit.

One time, kind of, but the context was super-weird. Seriously, if you want anything that makes any reasonable amount of sense, skip the rest of the post.

Basically, I was at the game shop one week and someone I knew from my usual table was running a game where characters were able to grasp some form of reality-bending. The party was pretty weak at it, but he allowed me for god knows what reason to sit down and cameo in the batshit crazy jester that I was running in our other mutual game. Having experienced a prophetic vision in the form of a complex, lucid dream, the jester had literally no problems manipulating reality to his whims but only did so for stupid things and wowing the other characters at the table.
Good thing I only agreed to randomly cameo, because i would have derailed his concept way too hard otherwise.

Not mine, but the rest of the party chose to become gods. We were going to defeat this mad scientist type character when he revealed that he knew how to achieve godhood, and would share that secret if we agreed to serve him. Everyone but me agreed, and my character GTFO'd to become a resistance leader (they all turned into evil gods so the planet went to shit). Our characters turned up as NPCs in the next game, so that was cool.

Yes, the motherfucking paladin.

Started by consuming his own goddess, and continued on his culinary journey of devouring so many gods and powerful spirits I've lost track of them.

Now only the forces of universe itself are more powerful than him.

So you're mad that they took your show about how fucked up giving teenage girls incredible power is and the consequences of that action, and then took it to it's logical end point?

The movie was great. It showed exactly why Homura was not a heroine, a good person, or someone other than an incredibly fucked up, damaged girl.

From the start, the entire point of Homura's arc was that she was ultimately as flawed as the rest of the cast, and her obsession was unhealthy as shit.

I've tended to remain at the "angelic" level really.

Had a MaidRPG character that was half-angel, but she was too ditzy until the very end of the campaign when I triggered her Final Form that gave her like +10 in all stats and I fulffed it as her just going full-angelic.

Happened again in a BESM campaign when my character died, but there was another character who she could posses, and in the end she used *that* which ended up giving her godlike powers instead of killing her.

Hm, now that I think about it, this is pretty weak compared to becoming an actual God-as-part-of-a-pantheon or Literally-The-One-God. Gotta step it up

Not the original poster, but to play devils advocate:

I'm mad that the movie was a shameless cash-grab that treated everyone except Homura like a plot device instead of a character, completely undid any character development Homura did have, and then took her personality flaws to such an extreme level of meaningless angst that it felt like Twilight.

And that's not even counting the massive plotholes (not that the original series didn't have plotholes, but they were easier to ignore because the story had a point besides meaningless grimdark), mechanical retcons to how the universe worked, and Homura being such a Mary Sue that she could come back from being a souless eldritch abomination (a game over for everyone it ever happened to, this was literally the POINT of Sayaka's entire fucking plot arc in the original series) and somehow kill a god who isn't even supposed to exist in this dimension because the plot says so.

Everything about it was just... I'm not sure what was a fluke anymore. The brilliant parts of the original, or the awful parts (the entire thing) of this... thing.

Also honoring the previous request to stay on topic:
Closest I've come to having a "god" in any of my games is another player who became an "apprentice" of sorts to a goddess of Thieves/Mischief. Basically he was a roguish guy in life, and managed to "trick" this goddess into giving him immortality... but only under the condition that he could prove he was the best thief alive. So now, every 9 years, his godly form becomes a human again, and before the 10th year is up, he has to pull off something sufficiently impressive to the goddess, or else the contract is broken.

He's become something of a recurring legend, even in games that have taken place since then. Some rumors say he's even managed to trick the goddess further (or woo her), and become her equal... but whatever the case, whenever impossible things go missing, the superstitious blame him.

We once made Cthulhu manifest as a tiny squid and devoured its body, becoming demigods in the process.

We plan on continuing the campaign sometimes with mystic powers and a conquer-the-world plot.

Yes. It worked wonderfully

forgot the pic, obviously

Forgot the story too...

This is a whole new level of fail.

Oh, nothing much, just the party rising to power through hard work, dedication, lots of trickery and violence. You know how it goes...

Kind of.

He became magic itself.

>and then took it to it's logical end point?

It was already at it's logical end point at the end of the show. The movie is an Elseworlds story, not a sequel.

My silly little gnome druid usurped the throne one of the elder fae and thereby gained her power. It was something like an apotheosis.

wow, unearthly ammounts of salt by fags who think what homura did is any different than what madoka did.

It's almost like they cant into spiritual dualism and are clinging to a devil analogy rather than a buddhist one which the show has always been.

He became a low tier noble of a kingdom ruled by a god, thus being granted a small portion of it's power as part of his fief

Not the characters themselves, but an animal companion and a familiar did.

Okay this is going to require a fair amount of explanation; the general setting/rules for gods that my group follows dictates that if enough beings believe in a deity, it will emerge. Likewise, if enough beings believe a mortal entity to be a god, they will become one. There are other, more traditional methods (i.e. become so powerful that the other deities just kinda go "Yeah, okay, you're one of us now. Please don't hurt us.") but this is the one most people have aimed for.

The only one to actually succeed was Jiji, the animal companion of the druid from one of the first parties I DM'd for. Jiji was an eagle who somehow, through the luck of the dice, frequently did more damage to monsters than the martials did (Haha, 3.5e balancing). It got to the pont where lesser races, such as goblins and kobolds, started fearing/revering Jiji as an angel of death/psychopomp. It became so prevelant that, after the campaign, we all unanimously declared Jiji to have ascended to fill the position as Guider of Souls, who led the dead into their respective afterlives. He's now an option for all clerics/paladins in pretty much any games from there on out.

The other one to ascend was the familiar of one of my first major villains, ye olde Necromancer. Through the natural progress of characterisation, it rapidly became apparant that the Necromancer himself was kind of a moody goth brat, and the real mastermind was his excessively evil raven familiar, Edgar (Shut up, I was 15). It got to the point where he became Awakened and straight up abandoned his old master because he felt like he was being held back. He went for the "Phenomenal Cosmic Power" route of ascension and is now a sort of demi-god of Undeath and arch-rival of Jiji, who considers undead to be a huge sin.

I may just have to bring him back as a villain at some point. I did love being over-the-top evil with him.

My knowledge eventually ascended to god-hood by accident during one of his magical experiments testing a scroll in an ancient ruin. That didn't stop him from searching for knowledge though, he just uses his power to grand booms to those that bring him lost knowledge and those who seek it and is now the settings patron God of wizards, magic and knowledge in my setting

Wizard, not knowledge, goddamnit

Not yet, but my character is pretty much on the way by word of DM. Apparently death serves as a satisfactory form of corruption to withstand the thrones of a handful of Evil-aligned Gods.

So all I have to do is kill one.

You are a gigantic butthurt baby who can't handle ambiguity.

On topic, I did in fact have a Warlock who became a god. She claimed she was one to an army a bungled Teleport put her in the middle of. Beguiling Influence insured they believed her. She then led then to victory in a major campaign.

Eventually, they started worshipping her as an actual god. About a year later, she gained a Divine Rank.

My most recent LARP character was a Mephistopheles-style demonic scholar who fought against a horrible world literally trying to eat him and everyone he knew, the organic protective processes of that world trying to kill him specifically for rooting out its true nature, and his inner demons (also literal) trying to drag him down and away from enlightenment at every step. Eventually, after four years of non-stop meditation and personal moralistic transformation, he became the Eidolon of Knowledge and now wonders the cosmos battling the Great Primal Evil!

One demon lord with better worldside influence than the others

One character well on his way to being the new divine herald for Ragathiel, so not a god, but the right hand of divinity.

The entire party became gods in a PF game once

>plot mcguffin can either create or kill gods
>BBEG wants it to kill all the gods
>get the last piece, BBEG steps in with an whole fucking army and is like nah m8
>while he's ranting on, warlock activates device correctly, turning himself into a god
>DM just sits back and was like "Shit, I didn't expect you to do that until after the final battle"

Two times.

Sasha: Stayed in Limbo after learning to cheat death to act as a shepherd to lost souls.

Chyron: Chronomancer who abused causality and time loops to become all-knowing.

Remember kids

a) Bitches be crazy
b) Witches be crazy
c) Liches be crazy

And technically Homu's all three!

Also the closest any of my characters came to becoming a god was when my group played Exalted, in which that's kind of the point so it wasn't all that special

>throne of bhaal
I miss you Minsc, and your little gigantic miniature space hamster.

hey i have this playmat

NOTHING WRONG!

Yep. On my first game playing D&D, I built a character so powerful that the DM had him ascend to godhood and become an NPC, as per the suggestion in Deities and Demigods.

My second character was his cleric.

Is there any other goal worth working toward?

But the cake song was cute!

>didn't really like it either, but I wasn't so disgusted as you are

Anyway... no, but I became a sort of bodhisattva that managed to resolve the zombie plague, so not that different.

World peace/domination, journey of self discovery, finding the six fingered man who killed your father...

true love

You can do all those things more fully and effectively if you're a god.

Yeah, but that's like becoming president to get out of paying a parking ticket.

I'm working on becoming a god in my current DnD game I'm about 25% of the way to enacting my master plan. My first act as a divine power will be to destroy the plane on which the campaign is set with no survivors. Actually me and my hired guns will survive but that's not important.

I'm not sure how the GM is going to feel about it, but he's been very cool about letting us do whatever we want and having the world react appropriately.

If your life's goal is to get out of a parking ticket, you've got bigger issues.

Seems a touch extreme. May I ask why you're destroying the plane instead of, I dunno, ruling it with an iron fist?

Because he's a big guy.

... I suppose catching me when I was tired and unable to notice the joke was part of your plan?

I'm playing a cleric of my old ascended character too. He was a l1 rescued slave kid that the paladin nicknamed Mittens.

Said paladin was my bard-now-god's best friend, and eventually adopted him

And now I'm playing Mittens as an adult in the current campaign

No, but he really wants to try and kill Kiaransalee for what she did to him.

Perhaps then he'll become some Good aligned Skeleton God of Undeath.

My Half-Orc Cleric/Druid (first character) got bumped up to max level in the last session because our DM wanted to dick around with higher level stuff. In the campaign's epilogue, rather than truly ascending to godhood like the rest of the party, he stayed in the mortal realm as the first Adventure elemental. He now spends eternity wandering the Earth in various forms, giving young folks the little push they need to go out and have adventures of their own.