>deeperdark

>darkdeep

>underdeep

>deep deep

>dark dark

>darkshadow

>shadowdeep

>underunder

well at some point I'm going to hit the center, and then it's all upwards from there

I came here to post this.

Yes, Abyssdark, a shitty place, don't come.

t. Abyssdark denizen

The annoying part is you can't do this in reverse. There's nothing over the sky but space, so that's two layers at best.

what about double space?

also the actual multiple layers of the atmosphere

Past the sky you have the Moon, and past Earth-space you have Mars-space.

Ditto.

>The underdark has a place with worse shit than Driders and murder-rape culture.
Fuuuuuck that.

>DnD_4th_edition.jpg

>you go on a journey to the center of the fantasy world

What's in the middle? What's in the middle!!?

>moon has been settled by humans based loosely on astronauts who got stuck there due to magical shenanigans
>Mars is a plane where not!Alien wizards have magitech civilization

Whatever is deeper than the underdark is not very interesting. Eventually you will reach the planet's core, and that's that. Either its filled liquid spinning metal at insane temperatures, your magic realm, or that guys in an eternal minmax loop.

However, as you traverse deeper and deeper into the dimensional layers, passing the negative plane, the abyss, all that crap. What will you find?

The space and time of the world is all scrunched up. The further down you go the more noticeable it gets.

It contains way, way more space and time the further down you go.

It's possible that the world is, from the point of view of someone trying to dig through it, infinitely big and also time speeds up the further down you go.

So no. You might never hit the core. You just keep finding new layers of shit as the sun and the stars become a distant memory and a strange legend and a year for you becomes half an hour for those you left behind on the increasingly distant surface.

Demogorgon

>there is no center, it's just layers of tunnels all the way down

Maybe in your cosmology. I'm a big fan of the lower planes being below the underdark and the celestial planes being planetoids in space.

What if we are at the center?

We Blame! now.

Personally, I'd have a fantasy moon colonized by migratory mothmen and liches and their undead servamts.

Fuck off with your memes, shitwrangler. If anything, the cosmology of 4th was severely diminished

Sky, Space, Interstellar Space, Intergalactic Space, Boundary of the visible universe, etc.

correlatedcontents.com/misc/Father.html

That could work, actually.

what, we can't have the descendants of fantasy!Buzz Aldrin punching Undead McLich in the jaw?

Por que no los dos, my friend.

>scary town

>What's in the middle? What's in the middle!!?

>Implying the fantasy world is a sphere.

Eventually you're just going to hit turtle.

>the universe is procedurally generated by fey beings

>when you sleep they cease to render you to save memory
>the world is so dark at night because they stop rendering most lights

Need to go deeper
:/

It's a Dyson Sphere around the true earth. Below us is the underdark, below that is the undererdark, below which is several layers of maintenance shafts, mega-machinery, and a thick sheet of smart glass that transmits views of night time space on the planet, as needed. The real earth is inhabited by super-enlightened polyhedrons and their golem servants.

>Underdark exists
>Still no Overbright
Why even live?

Tunnels to the Overbright only exist in clouds, so you have to be able to fly under your own power to reach them. It's a world of vibrancy and glowing majesty. Terrestrial travelers, however, are often treated in the way they treat inhabitants of the Underdark.

Rain is just the draining of the Overbright's lakes.

In my world:
There used to be a titanic creature there that functioned as a sort of living world-engine.
But something ate it.

This is setting-specific stuff. Lets talk about your setting! Or in my case, my setting!

I opted for the cosmology to be "one world", more or less, so the Underdark does have an even worse place right below it: the Lower Planes. First it is the Gray Waste, then it is Pandemonium, below that is Baator, then Carceri, then the Abyss. If you somehow get through the Abyss alive, then you find that the bottom is the pure chaos of Limbo.

>my setting!
>literally just great wheel

Teleporting to a moon (assuming it's an actual physical object and not something else entirely like the manifestation of a moon goddess' will) should be easy as pie. It's regularly overhead and unobscured, making close observation just a matter of time. Sure, it's an intra-planar distance (assumed fuckhuge), but you technically can get line of sight. The problems, therefore, must be in leaving. Giant anti-magic field? Giant ants? Giant anti-magic ants?

Sounds more like Dante's Inferno but I'd still play in it.

>Still no Overbright

>Olympus
>Heaven
>Cloudcuckooland

Its like the Great Wheel, except its a Great Column instead.

There's more differences than that, of course (though "you can get there on foot without magical assistance" is significant), and I'm not ashamed of cribbing other settings for whatever is interesting. My Abyss has Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Khorne in it, for example.

No, no no! Fuck that fucking place, I'm never going back!

The World Engine is in the center, a massive construct that grants a single wish to any group who finds it before shooting them out back onto the surface.

Floating islands at different altitudes

And under that...

Underdarker

>pure chaos of Limbo

How did the place in Dante that's just plain boring evolve into the superduperuber hell that people treat it like today?

Cloudcuckoldland?

It's called The Culture.

Is it possible to get line of sight to the surface of the sun?

Cloudcuckooland is traditionally used to mean an over-optimistic view of the world.

The term originated in Aristophanes' satirical play "The Birds", where it's a fictional cloud-city constructed by birds (the birds are sentient, claimed to have been gods prior to the Greek pantheon, and had help from the protagonists). The position of Cloudcuckooland allowed the birds to intercept sacrifices like burning meat and claim them for themselves. Since the Greek gods were not receiving the sacrifices meant for them, this allowed the birds to ultimately starve out the gods and gain power over them.

Wouldn't that be the inner earth?

Like how in Journey to the centre of the Earth they pass through a bunch of cavelike areas before arriving in the forested centre with it's giant magma sun.

All I know about Aristophanes is the croaking chorus from The Frogs. I can also hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din before.

In my cosmology, each heavenly body is the fortress of a divine being, so literally at the centre of the world is a god. At the centre of the sun is a god. And so on. The REASON they created planets, stars etc is because the obligatory "war of the gods" entered a paranoid "cold war" phase where everyone has been shoring up defenses - so the first god to do it invents FIRE, wraps it around him and becomes the Sun. The world is invented when a god figures out he can avoid getting burned by creating rock/dirt and so erects HIS fortress-world out of that. The moon is a large orb of water created as a kind of WMD/mutually assured destruction "COME FUCK WITH ME, DICKBAGS I'LL PUT OUT YOUR FIRE AND WASH AWAY YOUR SHITTY DIRT" by the next god. And so on.

>All I know about Aristophanes

Yeah, I wasted a good three credits on that Greek and Roman Satire class, so I'm damn well gonna use it.

What are the equivalent of Duregar, Deep Gnomes and Drow?

Moon elves, moon dwarves, and moon gnomes.

Maybe the moon elves are just eladrin.

I've merged the plane of shadow and the Etheral plane into one place, it functions as an alternate version of the world where certain places can exist geographically in some spots of the world so if you go out to the desert in the real world but then come back in this shadow world there would be a city there.

Also, beyond that I stole and filed off the serial number for the Underverse from Chronicales of Riddick which is just another spot in this shadow etheral world except it spills out partially in the real world and exists mostly underground in the settings equvilent of the Underdark.

Hell was carved out of the rock in a fold of spacetime where the planes of stone (with its stretched out timescale) and fire (with its magic-enhancing energies) overlapped, creating a chamber where the infernals could rally and prepare for their battles against the gods. The Thirteen Demon Lords, the most depraved and powerful of their evil disciplines, established their thrones in Pandemonium as the planar anchor, thirteen rivets holding Hell in place, metaphysically speaking. And at the center of Pandemonium, in the center of a circle of 13 thrones, burned the Inferno, the great beacon fire of Hell, beckoning the souls of the damned towards it.
For millennia, Hell's energies pulled the souls of the evil towards it due to the like-attracts-like property of metaphysical energies. As the souls entered and were used as sustenance, energy, and slaves by the Demon Lords and their armies, Hell grew tighter and tighter. The surrounding suburbs of Pandemonium, a region known as Dis, became over-inflated with the souls of the damned, causing trouble for the lower level demons who already inhabited the area. A public works project was needed. The great excavation began.
The enslaved souls of sinners were put to work digging straight down. Hell was too crowded, the Thirteen Demon Lords needed more space. The floor of hell began to lower, and Pandemonium followed. Hell began to grow taller from the top down, the suburbs of Dis becoming their own vertical city hanging from the stalactites of hell as Pandemonium crawled further and further into the pit.

Never come up with a group of anthropomorphic personifications of concepts by starting with the number and then deciding the concepts afterwards. "The Thirteen Demon Lords" sounded really cool to me, but since they were all Demon Lords of a bad thing, I had to come up with thirteen bad things that roughly went together but didn't overlap too much.

For a time, all was right with Hell. Then, one day, a war was waged in Heaven. The father of the Gods, Rashavu the Blue, was killed and his body stolen by a golden entity from the stars known as Virathel. Virathel's powers were already formiddable, but with the enhanced powers of Rashavu at his disposal, he was nearly unstoppable. Only by the collected efforts of the entire pantheon, plus some help from an Ascended orcish folk hero, were they able to cast Virathel out of Heaven.
Sozor the Dawnlord, son of Rashavu the Blue, together with Krossar the Invincible, dragged Virathel down into the depths of Hell, the one place secure enough to keep him. They cast him down from Dis, crashing his bloated and twisted corpse into Pandemonium with the force of a meteor. As the infernal population of Hell's capital fled, the Gods chained him into place with a web of adamantium chains, each link hundreds of feet across. Then, as abruptly as they had arrived, they left.
The denizens of Hell found their world completely overturned. The capital was now the prison of a vast, golden, eldritch terror from the stars, crudely fused with the corpse of a god. And worse, the chains had an unintended side effect: the great excavation was halted. Hell had really gone to shit.
Now, the Thirteen Demon Lords reside in Dis, their spies and magicians and warriors all conspiring to evict Virathel from Pandemonium so they may retake their stronghold. The capital is now composed of a vast palace made from the remains of Virathel, his host, and his disciples. With the Inferno literally at his fingertips, though, Virathel has access to evil souls by the dozen, giving him immense power. His own spies and wizards work tirelessly to undermine the Thirteen, keeping Hell in an unsteady balance of power.

The future is murky, though. With the great excavation halted but the influx of souls not stemmed, Hell will run out of room eventually. What nobody knows is the cost.

Either all hell will break loose, or else when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Martian Dwarves and Moon Elves.

While there are no native Space Gnomes, Tinker Gnomes invented space flight centuries before everyone else, and had a galactic spanning empire before accidentally building the Cyber Kender, ending Space Gnome civilization forever.

chaotic aligned = sort of minor evil in D&D
Limbo = chaotic aligned
.*. Limbo =sort of minor evil in D&D
then, flanderization happens

Under rated post.

You forgot shadowshadowbobadow.

I see no problem here.

Why is this an issue? The Overworld has an Overoverworld anyway.

how thef uck did this not get posted

how

So that was the origin of those fucking ugly things in twilight princess...

But it has been posted, you double nigger.

oococo was a fucking member of a species of Goddess killers?

jesus christ that's actually somewhat eerie

Canonically it does, actually. It's called the Lower Dark. It's where Illithids and Beholders live.

He was likely commenting on the stupidity of the names, bruh.

In JAGS Wonderland the literal machine of creation. They sustain reality, and they are starting to break.

It is also quite a quiet place to be.

Something bigger than the living engine, or a parasite or disease which ate it from the inside out?

If it was a larger predator, how did that work? Wouldn't it have to destroy a large piece of the world just to get to the living engine?

I, too, came here just to post this.

Diminished is right, 4E cosmology was shit piled on shit. A great pile of chaotic Shadowshit, you might say.

Is this recent footage of Fort McMurray, up in Alberta?

The vertical space of the world is circular. If you go down far enough you find yourself in the sky.

>underunder

You have yourself a fantasy world where the sky above is as seemingly limitless as the earth below. The higher you go, you find things such as towns held aloft by giant hot air balloons, floating continents, skywhales and in the uppermost reaches beautifully eldritch cities floating empty and abandoned.

>Garth Marenghi

Didn't he build everything from the Underdark all the way to Darkplace and Scarytown?

>>The Underdark has an Underunderdark
Wouldn't that just make it The Taint?

I prefer Mia Malkova's Wonderland. She's a literal machine of pro-creation.

Zenoscope's Wonderland is objectively more enticing.

This is literally my canon cosmology for my setting. My players have been to Double Hell in one of my sillier games, although they very very briefly stopped in Scarytown and got the fuck out of dodge as soon as they could.

Id love to make a tea party happen in her ass

>League of Frankenstein-Episode 7-Return to Wonderland

What's in Scarytown?

You don't want to know. Suffice to say that anything you or I can think of is only as bad as the Shadowbad.

I've read all of Blame, but that pic's new for me.
Where is it from?

What ate it is a cosmic being more advanced than the gods. It more or less absorbed the creature during the chaotic creation of the world, and took its place as the 'engine' that would start up life. In so doing it changed a lot of things. For instance, it allowed magic to exist.
Why did it absorb the engine creature? It was wounded in a battle with the creature's master, another cosmic being. The two cosmic entities are the same sides of a coin, much like ying and yang, man and woman, chaos and order.
The other cosmic entity faired much worse. It was mostly destroyed save for its head.

The inhabitants of my world do not realize it, but one of their moons was never intended to be there.
And if they would dig deep enough, they'd find something half the size of the planet staring back at them.

Blame! didn't invent dyson spheres.

If you want more from the same guy you could try Biomega.

Already read all of Nihei's works.
Found the source
thefolio.org/jakob-kiilerich/blame-liveaction-tv-redesign
It isn't even dark

Wow, that's fantastic. It's kind of eerie, the gods are closer than people think, and they have no idea how close they are to the kind of power which is terrifying from scale alone.