Convince me that adding a race consisting entirely of uplifted animals is a good idea for a game setting

Convince me that adding a race consisting entirely of uplifted animals is a good idea for a game setting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UbQgXeY_zi4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Convince you? You just convinced me.

Space racism

>adding to an existing setting
Maybe not, but it's been done pretty well as it's own setting

"A" race? I would hope that uplifted raccoons and uplifted goldfish would be recognized as somewhat distinct from each other.

After hundreds of years of jackass wizards running around and uplifting random animals they find on the road, they decide to unite and form their own political entity just to get back at the mages.

Yes. The Guard prevail!

>be recognized as somewhat distinct species
Lore building:
The uplifts can only be uplifted by other uplifts. The resulting persons are sterile and can only "reproduce" by uplifiting other animals.
It's a curse that can be spread intentionally, and as a species they're referred to by name of the curse.

As a plot piece/game element you could use a race of uplifted animals to accentuate the arrogance of another, more advanced race that uplifted them.

If we're talking sci-fi then it seems like uplifted species would be inevitable the longer mankind goes without finding other intelligent life. The thought of it being just us would drive us slowly insane until we can make other intelligent life.

In addition, pet owners that aren't stupid push for increasing the lifespan of their pets so they don't die, so you could have animals with extremely healthy genes living long lives. Intelligence wise that would be pretty damn hard, but if we have all the time in the world the technology will get there.

Vargr. They are a species of uplifted wolves in Traveller that have origins as one of the two species that Ancient aliens brought from Earth across the galaxy to do some genetical engineering and uplifting. (Humans were the other and several offshoots of humans exist in the setting as the Ancients toyed with them.)

The Vargr are a distinct species, not just your average "let's take a human culture or trait and design a race based on it." They have a very doglike culture that is based on packs and the ranking within the pack. Loyalties change if a leader shows weakness or incompetence but as long as the leader is in charge (s)he will be followed loyally. They are also agressive and Vargr pirates are the best known Vargr as piracy is actually "legal" profession among the Vargr who simply see it as the strong preying on the weak and they also raid other species.

Funnily enough, Vargr that live in communities with humans lose many of the "wilder" traits and become more peaceful.

Zootopia.

Animal people can be fun. We grew up with them in our cartoons, they were some of our favorite characters.

Take the concept back from the sexual deviants! Don't let them ruin a fun idea and make it purely a symbol of perversion! We'll keep some of their art though. No reason to let the SFW stuff go to waste.

Bait for furry autismbux

>Take the concept back from the sexual deviants!

There's still sex in my setting, but it's not the focus

But it's not tho.

Uplift a race

but keep the players in the dark about them being uplifted animals

make it a twist later on when you confront the uplifters with upliftees in your party.

Close enough!!

You just posted it idiot.

I should play Legend of Mana again, someday. It is to this day one of my favorite settings.

i've jerked off so many times to that picture

Shit, you scared me for a second, I thought I accidentally saved something untoward.

Pixiv can be a dark place, sometimes.

Nah, it's alright, I like vanilla pictures because they set up a nice scene.

And Pixiv can be dark, yet it has so many neat artists

>Lackadaisy

Confirmed good taste.

youtu.be/UbQgXeY_zi4

All the reason you need.

Don't, OP, someone will inevitably want to be smug. And then it will catch on. Then, every night when you DM, you'll come in and see your players with some self-satisfied asshole look on their faces. All looking at you.

but i like krogans.

And I like you

They did that in the last episode of Gunbuster. Part of the crew of a starship were dolphins.

Anyone have anything on an ape race? Always been interested in creating one for a campaign

what is even sexy to you in that picture

Golden Retriever Cleric?

He's a good preacher but the kids keep distracting him by bringing balls into the church.

I used this for a reference in a game once. Kind of similar backstory but more fitting with the setting. He was a WW1 Vet turned Gangster that died and went to hell. The game was set in hell.

>inb4 negros

I'm guessing that user finds a powerful masculine presence sexy. That lion does seem like you could count the number of fucks he's given on zero fingers.

I had an entire faction of anthro animals in my setting. They were feral and incomprehensible to humans. It's tough because I don't want them irredeemable like orcs or demons, but I don't want them "noble savages" because it's been done to death.

>I had an entire faction of anthro animals in my setting. They were feral and incomprehensible to humans.
More like how Monkeys have societies but they're still incomprehensible to us for the most part? Just make them more worried about survival than anything else.

What's this picture from? Reverse google gives nothing, I was hoping for an even higher resolution/the artist's page.

Yeah, I got ya.

Come to think of it, these probably aren't apes. Well, they're primates at least.

Well THIS one's an ape.

I think.

I actually don't know the difference between gorilla and ape off the top of my head.

Spacefaring cybernetic genetically engineered goats.

Posture and skeletal structure, I think.

That's all I got for primate-like characters.

Your party must fight a gang of Rats of NIMH-style uplifted skunks. All skunks get one shooting attack against which you must save against vomiting, stunned, and bad smell. If the attack is a crit the target is blinded as well. After the battle, no one will want to come near the player character and they receive a -5 modifier to Charisma. All other stats (besides intelligence) equivalent to Cats.

I call it "The worst Level 1 encounter ever".

Dogs have no packs and wolfpacks are family units, tho.

That's a picture made by my bf, they are some beings of his setting.
He has a gallery in FA as archinist, and one in dA as bigasan

Fantastic, thanks! I love artists who actually flesh out their own settings, tearing away from the overused stereotypes, it's what I'm trying to do myself, which is why I was interested.

Looks like that particular picture isn't on the DA, so I'll log into my FA that I use specifically in circumstances like these.

Tell your boyfriend that it's cool, and the eye in particular is something I've been searching for for quite some time.

And, actually, besides his FA, is there anywhere I can follow his setting? It seems like the kind of thing I'd be interested in. Once I saw his Journey art and the related description I realized I should ask.

Are we talking about uplifted as animals gaining sapience, or the evolution of a race to bipedalism?

Because without thumbs, you're not going to get far.

I'm talking with him at the moment, but he tends to show his setting through his paintings. He does write various details down but he prefers to show it when he feels it's ready.

Sticking to his FA is the best idea since he uploads most of his stuff there. Otherwise, it would be better to wait for him to finish the stray comic pages he's doing, eventually, but otherwise he tends to give bits of his setting through each new painting that he does.

For example, if you haven't realized, there are different timelines in his paintings and even recurring constellations if you have a good eye

Oh, he asks if you mean about the art related to Journey, or the post named Journey

The art related to Journey, that had the little red-robed catish creature from the game.

Which I loved, by the way. His description's pretty spot-on.

But at any rate, cool, I'll keep an eye on his FA, then. It'll be fun to see his progress.

I liked this pic at first, even respected the tired and worn out adventurer theme.

Then I realized the whole thing was a Sjyrim reference.

Thanks, he sends his regards!