Super Hero General

From aliens to assassins, from spandex to shirts-and-jeans, this is the thread to discuss all things superheroic, at least as tabletop games go. Mutants & Masterminds, Marvel Heroic, Heroes Unlimited, Dark Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, and any other system out there, this is the thread for you if you want to feel superhuman.

Previous thread: Current topic: the thread is building its own five-man superteam. Come join the fun!

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/eykdxi5fmvgv8sn/M&M.zip?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Starfire. Unf.

It's characters like Starfire that the M&M advantage "Attractive" is for. Your character is exceptionally attractive by in-universe standards; considering EVERYONE is attractive by comic book standards, that's impressive.

>Current topic: the thread is building its own five-man superteam. Come join the fun!
I suggest we keep the rolling in the old thread for the time being, otherwise we'll spam this one into autosage too quickly.

Might even be Attractive 2 with Kory because just by walking into a room she got the attention of an entire floor of a police station.
And she got her first job on Earth by walking through the door of a modeling agency.

I think the police station bit was due to her wardrobe, though.

Being orange didn't stop the modelling job?

When your character is as blisteringly hot (kek) as Starfire, skintone becomes irrelevant.

First member of the team is a Mystic. His vague fluff and stats from generating from MnM's GM kit

>Magical Heritage: Your family has a long history of being blessed with magical powers... or perhaps it’s a curse.
>Str 0 Sta 0 Agl 1 Dex 3 Fgt 4 Int 2 Awe 7 Pre 4
>Equipment 3 (Headquarters), Ranged Attack 5, Trance, and also roll
on the table below.
>Headquarters—Size: Medium, Toughness: 10; Features: Concealed,Dual-size (Huge), Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Sealed,Security System, Self-repairing, Workshop

>Student of the Arts: You study and research constantly in order to keep informed.
>Advantages: Ritualist, Well-Informed

>Affecting Presence: You have the skills necessary to explore new places.
>Skills: Intimidation 4, Persuasion 4,Expertise: Magic 10, Insight 6, Perception 4

Offensive Powers
>Magic Spells: Array (24 points, plus 5 points of Alternate Effects)
>Magical Blast: Ranged Damage 12
>Mystic Constructs: Create 7, Continuous, Innate, Precise
>Dispel Magic: Nullify 8, Broad (Magic), Simultaneous
>Maddening Blast: Ranged Damage 8, Resisted by Will
>Enervation: Ranged Weaken 8, Broad (Physical Abilities (one at a time))
>Mystic Bindings: Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted by Will; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited Degree

Seconday Powers
>Astral Projection: Remote Sensing 8 (Visual, Auditory, Mental),Limited—Physical body is defenseless, Subtle 2
>Levitation and Mystic Shield: Flight 4 (30 MPH); Sustained Protection 12, Impervious 6

Other powers
>Additional Magic Spells
>Illusory Appearance: Morph 2, Attack,Burst Area, Selective
>Teleportation: Teleport 3 (250 feet), Accurate,
Easy, Extended (8 miles), Portal
>Apparition: Immunity 2 (Suffocation);
Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal)

D20 for our second member

Rolled 15 (1d20)

Rollan

I thought some user dubbed him Professor Witchalok.

Summoner.

To power through these give me 4d20

Rolled 11, 16, 6, 18 = 51 (4d20)

I was kinda joking.

We've got a Summoner!
>The Summoner is an archetype that covers a lot of ground, from heroes who create duplicates of themselves to those who animate images, summon otherworldly creatures, or create minions out of thin air. In order to make the Summoner fit into this book, these tables produce a duplicator who’s either a Martial Artist or a summoner whose summoned creatures are minions with decent combat abilities. You are free to swap points around to change your duplicating Martial Artist into a duplicating Powerhouse, just be sure the duplicates remain within their power level limits (PL8 for Twin, PL7 for Triplets

Let's start with 2d20.

So, lets see. He's not particularly gifted physically, nor he is a super-genius. Magic flows in his veins, but he has to study constantly to actually use it.

Could be a good fit for the "or maybe it's a curse" actually - ancient heritage suddenly awakened in a mostly average guy, then he dove deep into researching to figure out what is happening to him.

Jacking a name from a random comic making a joke on being as dumb as possible does not make a good character.

Ahh, summoner.
I'd recommend switching to Deluxe HH's quickstart rather than GM Kit for this one, he's got more options there.

Rolled 4, 7 = 11 (2d20)

dropbox.com/s/eykdxi5fmvgv8sn/M&M.zip?dl=0

Deluxe handbook's in here for those who don't have it.

>So, lets see. He's not particularly gifted physically, nor he is a super-genius. Magic flows in his veins, but he has to study constantly to actually use it.
>Could be a good fit for the "or maybe it's a curse" actually - ancient heritage suddenly awakened in a mostly average guy, then he dove deep into researching to figure out what is happening to him.
That, or he's the next wizard in a storied family of master wizards.

I kinda want him to be like Doc Strange in that his name is his hero name. It IS a family thing after all with him.
There actually IS a "The Baron Strange" in England among peerage records, three I think:

>There actually IS a "The Baron Strange" in England among peerage records, three I think:
That's the title of the Stanley family

>Duplicator: You can summon duplicates of yourself.
>Str 4 Sta 4 Agl 5 Dex 5 Fgt 10 Int 1 Awe 2 Pre 0
Primary Power
>Triplets: Summon 7 (Two PL7, 105 point duplicates),
Heroic, Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 1 (2
duplicates)
Advantages
>Daze (Deception), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Set-up 2, Teamwork
Skills
>Acrobatics 6, Athletics 6, Deception 8, Expertise (Choose one) 7,
Perception 5, Stealth
>Expertise (Choose one: Magic or Science) 6, Perception 4, Stealth 4

So our Summoner is done so I'm just gonna use the extra d20s for our third member

Gadgeteer
>Scientist: At heart, you’re a scientist. You’re always
working on something in the lab, but you like to get
“out in the field” and test the practical applications
of your inventions. Plus, there are all sorts of unusual
things out in the world that you’d never get to experience
in the lab.
>Str 1 Sta 2 Agl 2 Dex 2 Fgt 4 Int 10 Awe 4 Pre 0

Advantages
>Athletic: You take care of yourself and are physically fit
>Advantages:Evasion, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
>Explorer: You have the skills necessary to explore new places.
>Skills: Athletics 7, Perception 5, Stealth 4,Close Combat: Unarmed or Gadgets 6, Expertise: Science 10,
Ranged Combat: Gadgets 6, Technology 10, Vehicles 4

So I need another 4d20 to wrap up this one.

And from the looks of things, his training and study has paid off well for him. He's got several magical blasts, he can create constructs, weaken and/or bind enemies, astral project, fly and protect himself with a shield, alter his appearance, teleport, and render himself ghostly. That's a very large toolkit.

I'm going to jump in with Deluxe HH chargen

Summoner
11 gets us out of duplicator archetype and into general summoner.
>Str 2 Sta 4 Agl 2 Dex 2 Fgt 2 Int 4 Awe 4 Pre 4
16 goes to summoning Minions
6 puts it at Ninjas.
...and that's kinda it.

Duplicates are more interesting desu, they got elemental controller, martial arts or general powerhouse as secondary archetype

Correction; it was the Stanley family 500 years ago, since I do believe it is a defunct title.

You fucked up the skills. It's just
>Acrobatics 6, Athletics 6, Deception 8, Expertise (Choose one) 7, Perception 5, Stealth 6
So the Summoner is actually a set of hyper-athletic triplets who are sneaky, tricky gits.

Mystics get ALL the best shit.
Maybe each is an inherited spell and his study and research comes from a long association with the occult.
I kinda want to make this guy UK-based and ACTUALLY make him the modern Baron Strange almost....

>Third member is a gadgeteer
>he's athletic scientist who's an explorer and is apart of a super team

...Is this guy Jonas Venture/Johnny Quest's dad

>Threesome

My bad

Rolled 7, 10, 19, 18 = 54 (4d20)

Doc Savage is the character archetype, actually.
And since Doctor Venture is practically IDENTICAL to Doc Savage I think the comparison is deliberate.

So we have a British baron coming from a (relatively) prestigious family of wizards, a set of athletic triplets who seem to operate on a hivemind and can be sneaky gits, and not-Doc Savage.

The not/Doc Savage is not actually particularly physically tough if you look at his stats.
Scientist is the LEAST "active" archetype in fact.

Offensive Power
>Force Armor: Enhanced Strength 8; AE—Burst Area Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Stunned), Extra Condition, Limited Degree; AE—Create 8; AE—Burst Area Damage 8; AE—Reaction Damage 4; AE— Ranged Damage 7, Accurate 2; AE—Move Object 8; Activation—Move Action (-1 point), Removable (-4 points)
Defensive Power
>Energy-Absorbing Body Suit: Protection 10, Impervious 6, Removable (-3 points)
Movement Powers
>Personal Teleporter: Teleport 4 (500 feet), Increased Mass (100 lbs.), Turnabout, Removable (-2 points)
Innate Powers
>Technopath: Comprehend 2 (Machines), Distracting

So our team so far is
>Baron Strange
>Threesome
>Doc Savage

D20 to see who else joins the crusade of justice

Rolled 11 (1d20)

Personally my vote for names are
>Baron Bizare
>Triple Threat
>Doctor Chase

She just lied and said she was from Jersey

He's got some kinda force-field thing? Seems kinda like Rocket's force field belt from Milestone Comics...

>Crime Fighter
6d20 for our caped crusader

We've got the Powerhouse, a.k.a. not-Hulk.
>The Powerhouse is the strongest one there is! Where other archetypes spread their points out amongst a number of different powers and abilities, the Powerhouse concentrates on two things; strength and protection. In fights, the Powerhouse is always on the front line, tearing it up and, even so, is usually the last one standing. The Powerhouse is often inhuman-looking, either because he or she’s been turned into a hulking brute, or is from an alien world, or is capable of transforming into living stone, steel, or something equally resistant to damage.

He's got a multi-functional exo-suit that lets him do all kinds of shit. I wouldn't say he's going full Iron Man, but he's got a lot of the skillset.

So we have a crime fighter

6d20 for our vigilante.

Rolled 11, 2, 18, 14, 15, 5 = 65 (6d20)

Herewego

Weird. My GM kit says powerhouse.

His exosuit is energy contruct, like Green Lantern stuff.

I guess I didn't realize it went through and I was looking at the wrong fucking table. I must be tired

>>Baron Bizare
I've went to dig a little on naming sites to try for alliteration a-la quadruple S of Doctor Strange.
And I'm stuck between two options for surname

Baldric Barnett, Baron (of the) Bizarre
or
Baldric Brassington, Baron (of the) Bizarre

>BALDRIC m English (Archaic) Derived from the Germanic elements bald "bold, brave" and ric "power, rule"...
seems nice and fitting, right?
>BARNETT English Derived from place originating from Old English bœrnet "cleared by burning".
Hinting on some dramatic origin of the sorcerous heritage
>BRASSINGTON English From a place name, meaning "enclosure by a steep path".
Or on how they encircle and guard some secret

Yeah I fucked up my bad. So yeah power house. I switched the results for 15 and 5 around because 15 would have been a reroll.

>Innate Power: You’re an alien or are from some hidden offshoot of humanity with incredible powers.
>Str 4 Sta 4 Agl 1 Dex 0 Fgt 6 Int 1 Pre 1 Awe 1

Advantages
>Power Attack
>Driven: You’re capable of pushing yourself beyond your
limits. Regularly.
>Extraordinary Effort

Skills
>Close Combat: Unarmed 2
>Sharp Mind: You’re difficult to fool.
>Expertise: (Choose one) 4, Insight 4, Perception 4

Offensive Powers 1/2
>Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 8; Power-lifting 4
>Cut Loose!: Penetrating 10 on Strength
>Foot Stomp: Line Area Damage 10, Powerhouse and
target must be in contact with the same surface

Defensive Powers:
>Super-Stamina: Enhanced Stamina 10
>Thick Skin: Impervious Toughness 10

I need 3d20 to wrap him

Rolled 13, 13, 16 = 42 (3d20)

Why not make Barnett his middle name? Because I love all of it.

Rolled 12, 6, 6 = 24 (3d20)

Defensive Powers cont.
>Resistant: Immunity 10 (choose two 5-point immunities:
Alteration effects, sensory Affliction effects, Fatigue
effects, or a damage type (Bullets, Cold, Electricity,
Fire, Magic, Radiation, Sonic))

Movement Power
>Super-Leaping: Leaping 12 (4 miles)
>Like Hitting a Brick Wall: Reaction Damage 1,
Penetrating 1

And our little Power House is done.

Damn, I never expected the supergroup suggestion to take off that quickly.

So we've got an alien powerhouse who is quick-witted, hits like a freight train, can cause seismic shocks, is resistant to damage and has got MAD HOPS.

I kinda want this to be a woman.
Make a change and that instead if a dude the absolute most burly and invulnerable person in the group is a lady.

Using this for our fourth member so he/she is a psychic.

>In-Born: Your powers are due to the fact that you’re a
mutant or a member of a psychic race.
>Sta 0 Sta 1 Agl 1 Dex 2 Fgt 0 Int 2 Awe 4 Pre 0

Advantages
>Contemplative: You are always calm and controlled.
>Fearless, Trance, Ultimate Effort (Will checks)

So I'm gonna say 8d20 for to wrap her up.

I'd say our alien powerhouse is resistent to fatigue and magic.

So our powerhouse is pretty much alien She-Hulk.

Rolled 10, 18, 20, 3, 18, 8, 19, 7 = 103 (8d20)

Fifth member.

Scratch that: fatigue and sensory affliction.

Seconding .
How often is a woman the ONLY super-bruiser on the team?

It's damn shame Knockout is already a taken name. ALL the good superhero names are taken,

Pretty much. It helps fill the obligatory "hot alien chick" quota.

Princess Powerful

Too cheesy and lame. She's an alien, so her name ought to be exotic.

Huh.
How about making her blue instead of green and her name is just "Cobalt Blue", her exact skin color?

Skills
>Ninja: You have been trained in the way of the ninja.
>Student: You’re a high-school, college, or post-graduate student.
>Skills:Acrobatics 4, Perception 4, Stealth 4, Expertise: (Choose one) 6, Insight 2, Perception 4

Offensive Powers
>Telekinesis: Move Object 10, Accurate 4
>Telekinetic Column: Line Area 2 (60 feet)
>Telekinetic Snare: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile), Accurate 4, Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Limited—There must be materials about to bind the target
>Telekinetic Bolt: Ranged Damage 10,
Accurate 4

Defensive Powers
>Telekinetic Shield: Impervious Protection 10, Sustained
>Mental Awareness: Senses (Mental Awareness, Acute,
Detect, Radius, Range)

Our final member is complete

No, I was referring to the Runaways, where Princess Powerful is a little girl and their bruiser/brick

So our super team is
>Baldric Barnet/Brassington, Baron of the Bizarre
>Tripple Threat/Threesome
>Doc Chase
>Knockout/Blue Cobalt/Princess Powerful
>Unamed Psychic

So what can we do to flesh out our team? So Baldric is confirmed male and the Powerhouse is a confirmed female. Did we decide on anyone else's gender?

....a telekinetic ninja college student?
That's too insane to be anything BUT a comic book character.

So our fifth member is an alien woman with native-born telekinetic powers. She's perpetually cool-headed, has ninja training and is well-educated, and is highly aware of her surroundings. We could say she's from the same race as our powerhouse.

It doesn't meant she's gotta be an alien. She could be a mutant easily enough.

They're twins. It's poetry.

Could be a mutant, yes.

I like the idea that she's/he's a grad student who sucks at explaining her origins.
>"So, you're grad student? What kinda superhero is that?"
>"No, I AM a grad student but I have ninja training."
>"So you're a ninja?"
>"Yeah. Well, not a very good ninja, I'm actually a telekinetic."
>"Ninjas are telekinetic? You're telekinetic because you're a ninja?"
>"No, I'm a ninja because I'm ninja, I'm a telekinetic because I'm a mutant."

I feel like Gadgeteer and the Mystic are total bros.

>Telekinetic Ninja
>Psinobi

Why I do feel like the entire team gives him/her constant shit because he/she's terrible at explaining this.

You mean like Shinobi+Psionic?

Exactly like that.

>It DOES give him the highest unarmed attack accuracy in the entire book, bar NONE and literally every single Advantage applicable in close combat you can even get
He's actually tied with Bats at +20 accuracy, IIRC. Kid only has 1 more point in Fighting instead of skills.
They both probably pack every fighting style advantage in the book too (friggin bat has 280+ pp total, jesus fuck)
Penetrating and Multiattack on punch though, that's nice advantage.

Well given how combo-riffic the fighting games are, Multiattack wouldn't be amiss, and that lays down the hurt on anything that doesn't pack Impervious.

I've done some math for funsies once, doing both two move actions and athletics roll for more speed (on both of them) matches pretty well with olympic runners.

Speed 2 is when your casual jog is as good as them.

>"I'm the Psinobi!"
>"...What kind of bloody name is that?"
>"Because shinobi's a word for ninja a-"
>"I thought your power was moving stuff with your mind."
>"No, I'm a mutant and my p-"
>"So your mutant power is that you have ninja training."
>"No, I have telekinesis."
>"What about the ninja?"
>"I have ninja training and I have a telekenitic powers. That's why I'm called the PSInobi."
>"It's still a bloody stupid name."

Yes this is fun.

Also occasional rib to the mystic about "Dig up any more B's in your title lately?"

They should just fucking mark down which character's powers are inflated due to popularity power.
>Note; drop 50 to 80 points from this build when he isn't crossing over with anyone and the plot isn't arbitrarily increasing his abilities to make him seem useful because the author doesn't actually know how to write about strategy or using intelligence.

The easiest thing to do is consider the Complications for each character. This is what stands out to me for each.

MYSTIC
>Honor: It’s not uncommon for a Mystic to follow a code of conduct that keeps them on the straight and narrow, perhaps because it’s the right thing to do, perhaps because they need to in order to keep their powers in check.
>Motivation—Responsibility: The Mystic was given his or her power for a reason—to defend Earth, to hunt down otherworldly creatures, or any number of other options. Or perhaps the Mystic recognizes that his or her power comes with a price.
>Power Loss: Mystics often have the Complication that prevents them from using their powers when they can’t move and/or speak to cast their spells.

SUMMONER (TRIPLETS)
>Motivation—Doing Good: Some Summoners are heroes because they believe it’s the right thing to do.
>Motivation—Thrills: Outside of their Summon ability, many Summoners don’t have a lot of powers. Some may find the constant threat of danger to be a bit much, but not this Summoner! The more danger, the better!

GADGETEER
>Enemy: For some reason, Gadgeteers tend to have a nemesis who believes they need to prove how superior he, she, or it is compared to the Gadgeteer.
>Fame: Gadgeteers often don’t hide their identities from the public and in fact might be media darlings because of their incredible inventions.
>Motivation—Responsibility: The Gadgeteer often feels it’s only right to use his or her incredible intelligence to help others.
>Relationship: Gadgeteers often have a number of important people
in their life, either family, loved ones, other researchers, or employees
who like to get into trouble.

[cont]

They do the reverse with Joker.
>To properly utilize this guy, spam complications over and over and over

POWERHOUSE
>Motivation—Acceptance: Those Powerhouses with the Prejudice complication often choose this motivation and become a hero in order to earn a place in “normal” society. An alien Powerhouse may also choose this motivation even if he or she doesn’t look unusual.
>Motivation—Responsibility: Due to their incredible powers, many Powerhouses become heroes because they feel as if they have a responsibility to do so.
>Prejudice: The Powerhouse often looks unusual and struggles with feeling isolated or like an outsider, or even being treated like a monster!

PSYCHIC
>Identity: Psychics often keep their identities and the fact that they have powers a secret from the rest of the world.
>Motivation—Responsibility: Some Psychics use their powers for good, because they feel they must have been given their powers to help others.
>Power Loss: Because mental powers often require some amount of focus; drugs, disorientation of any kind, or noisy settings may prevent a Psychic from using his or her powers.

Any other input?

I feel like the mystic does alliteration when he speaks and it's completely unintentional.
>"Bravo buddies. We bested the Balrog in battle."
>"Can you go a day with out saying like three bs in a row?"

I like the idea that
A: He's reverse-gender Psylocke and
B: That the ninja is entirely incidental, kinda like how half of the characters in GI Joe have ninja training. He was just a Japanese Englishman who's family happen to have ninja stuff so he learned some of the skills.

Mystic and Gadgeteer are men.
Powerhouse and Psychic are women.
Triplets are probably all girls, to play up their athletic side.

Mystic,Summoner and Powerhouse I'm fine with.

I feel like the Gadgeteer is doing this out for thrills because since he's a scientist and a explorer.I think he's just passionate about his work and it just so happens he does superheroics to do it.

While the psychic I dunno. I feel like we can spice him/her up a bit more.

>B: That the ninja is entirely incidental, kinda like how half of the characters in GI Joe have ninja training. He was just a Japanese Englishman who's family happen to have ninja stuff so he learned some of the skills.
This, pretty much. The ninja bit just came naturally to her from her upbringing. She's still a telekinetic first and foremost, but her ninja skills somehow always come up when it's most relevant (tailing someone, slipping into a building vent).

I don't think the Triplet are literal triplets. It's just one girl who can make two copies of herself.

I get the feeling Doc Savage gets unnaturally giddy any time he's on the verge of a breakthrough or discovery.
>GUYS
>GUYS
>YOU HAVE NO
>FUCKING
>IDEA
>HOW BIG THIS IS

>MY BELT
>MY BELT
>LISTEN GUYS
>MY BELT CAN
>LISTEN GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT
>MY BELT CAN FOLD SPACE GUYS

>Baron: "Fascinating Davis, truly. You mastery of the fundamental aspects of reality are truly astonishing. Truly nothing gets past your mind in science."
>*levitates coffee cup with mind*

Based on the psychic's profile, she's got a mind like a steel trap. She's very calm and centered and generally doesn't get rattled easily. She just also happens to be a grad student (ostensibly under Doc Savage's tutelage) and had incidental ninja training growing up.

She's also intensely aware of her surroundings. Very few things get past her.

That also works.

...Is there a drawfriend in this thread? I need a picture of Doc and Baron.

All symptomatic of ninja training stuff.
Calm, collected, aware.

>Baron: "Your aplomb is admirable my dear. Your mental disciplines aid you?"
>Psinobi: "Actually that would be my ninja training again."
>Baron: "God you're infuriating to talk to."