Crusade Builder: Reconquest - Thread 3

The year is 1127, and the papal-sanctioned reconquest of the Iberian peninsula is underway.

With christians securing early victories against the andalusian muslims, times look dark for the Sunni Sultan - and his dreams of Caliphdom seem to have been crushed before his campaign could get properly underway, both by the christians in the north, and the Shia Egyptians from the east.

The Pope is pleased by the developing situation, but the rulers of northern spain look on with increasing anxiousness as Crusaders start to establish their own states around major cities captured from the muslims.

In the wake of the battle at Valencia (where a heroic defence was just barely saved in time from an onrushing horde) the peninsula is ripe for the taking.

Will the muslim world bounce back, or will the men of the cross march steadily on?

Deus Vult!

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Crusade Builder/
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#Nation&server=irc.mibbit.net
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Crusade Builder: Reconquest/
pastebin.com/GZmvmxHx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is an alternate-history nation builder with an emphasis on the characters that take part in this holy war. It is a sequel to the original Crusade Builder, whose archive you can find (along with the other reconquest threads) at archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Crusade Builder/

Knowledge of the minutiae of the past is not a requirement to take part - know only that the first crusade was a success, and an ambitious pope is attempting to cash in on some of that crusading glory soon after.

You take on the role of a warlord of some description. Whether you intend to make a name, carve out a kingdom, serve your ruler faithfully or defend your home, you must have come from somewhere.

To play, fill in the following character sheet:

Name: [What you are called]
Culture: [Your country of origin]
Fluff: [What were you known for before the reconquest? Why are you taking part?]
Religion: [Are you a triumphant Catholic? A resurgent eastern Orthodox? A beleaguered Sunni or even some kind of Pagan?]
Colour: [How do you want to be represented on the map?]
Transit: [How did you arrive in Iberia? Did you march? Did you sail? Or are you simply defending your home?]

You can chat with other players in the IRC at client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#Nation&server=irc.mibbit.net

Every turn, you should describe two actions in your post under your stat block, and roll dice+2d100 to determine how successful they were.

dem archives doe
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Crusade Builder: Reconquest/

Rolled 35, 19 = 54 (2d100)

Name: Prince Florian of Antalya
Culture: Antalyan
Fluff: During the first crusade James of Scotland conquered the southern shores of Anatolia and took the city of Antalya as his seat of power. Being blocked in by the Byzantine empire by land the nation focused inward, and partially thanks to the tolerance of King James, became a center of the sciences and arts.

Florian is the third prince of Antalya, and as such doesnt expect to inherit much from his father. As such he set off with some me to join the reconquista to claim some land for Antalya and himself.
Religion: Orthodox
Colour: Blue
Transit: Sail
Military: 75 mounted, 300 men at arms, 845 rabble.
Holdings: Valencia {Port City}
Bonuses: [Antalyan Prince] Raised in a land of peace and progress, Florian gets +5 on literally anything that does not involve war or soldiers.

1. Begin training the rabble.
2. Begin expanding our domain to the south.

Funny how the archives I link have all the reconquest threads at the top.

>archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Crusade Builder/

Thanks though.

Rolled 97, 37 = 134 (2d100)

Name: Crispinus Tullus Scruffitius
Culture: Tripoli (of polish/lebanese descent)
Fluff: pastebin.com/GZmvmxHx
Religion: Catholic
Colour: Orange - the Classic Color
Transit: Marching Southwest from Southern Germany
Military: 60 mounted, 506 men at arms, 15 rabble.
Bonuses: [Pauper Prince] An ambitious young man denied his birthright and trained for warfare by holy men, Crispinus gets +5 to all combat rolls.
1 Chest of Wealth
Holdings: [Mequinenza] (Crib full o' bitches)

1. That battle was glorious, if costly, let us recruit more peasants to fill our ranks!

2. At the same rate, some of the men at arms have proven themselves sufficent warriors to earn a horse and a lance, let us train some knights for our soon to be kingdom!

Rolled 80, 60 = 140 (2d100)

1. Spend 2 of my 5 chests of wealth to replenish my forces.

2. Hunker down at al-Aziz's homebase. Prepare for the coming storm.

Name: Azka'hail abu-Dakar
Culture: Moorish
Fluff: Mercenary Captain, seeks peace for these lands and knows the Catholic monarchs will never allow it.
Religion: Sunni
Colour: Royal Purple
Military: 175 mounted, 632 men at arms, 8 rabble.

Cadre: [Champion of Spear]
Bonuses: [Is it really so much to Azk?] As a man whose main concern is to fight for peace, Azka'hail gets a bonus of +5 to defensive combat rolls and +5 to diplomacy when negotiating truces.

+3 [Chests of Wealth]

Name: Tariq Abd al-Aziz
Culture: Andalusian, from Córdoba
Fluff: Tariq's ancestors boast a proud history of service to Islam and to al-Andalus. His family claim service to the Ummayad dynasty and all it's successors, extending from before 718 and the conquest of al-Andalus from the Catholic Visigoths. From birth, Tariq has trained in the art of strategy and war, and honed a reputation as a soldier of merit and student of Islam, despite his youth. He aspires to defend his home, despite any cost, and to repel any would be invaders with extreme prejudice. He seeks to make his ancestors proud and win favor as a valiant and loyal servant to his liege, the Emir of Cordoba. With his youth, however, comes a thirst for glory that has yet to be properly sated.
Religion: Sunni Islam
Colour: Dark Green
Transit: Located in Córdoba
Military: 50 mounted, 333 men at arms, 218 rabble.
Allies:
[Cordoba's Men] 100 mounted, 250 men at arms
[Men of Murcia] 50 mounted, 145 men at arms
Bonuses: [A Worthy Vassal] As vassals of Cordoba, Tariq and his family can occasionally act with the authority of their liege, but may have tasks required of them in exchange.

Tariq walked around the camp of the former muslim army, witnessing the devastation first hand. Blood still dripping from his gauntlet, he swore.

"With God and Man as my witness, I shall have revenge. I will not rest till a Christian life has been taken for all those lost today. I swear this on my life, and on my father's before me."

1. It is not enough to put spears in the hands of farmboys. That is not an army. The remaining recruits and bloodied and beaten, but they have seen death - and lived to tell about it. Galvanize them with promises of vengeance, and Allah willing they will become warriors.
>train rabble

2. Men must be raised to replace our losses. The men in the surrounding region stand the most to lose if we fall, for the Christian tide will wash upon them if the Rocks of Islam are swept aside.
>recruit

in regards to two weeks without this game

Rolled 10, 35 = 45 (2d100)

Name: Mnguni Tshivhumbe
Culture: Middle Africa
Fluff: Mnguni, leader of the great Bantu people, comes to bring the Bantu to glory or eternal afterlife in battle against the Infidels and support the muslim brothers.
Religion: Sunni Convert
Colour: Black
Transit: A European regiment in heavy armor and wagon train can march 30 miles in a day before they need rest.
A Bantu regiment can run 50 miles in a day, and fight at a battle at the end of it.
Military: 2435 rabble, 3 Mounted
Bonuses: [We Will Be Sultans] Taught of their manifest destiny by muslim imams, the tribal warriors of middle africa are powerful and relentless warriors - but lack much by way of equipment. Acquiring trained troops is harder for them, but their rabble is more effective.
5 [Chests of Wealth]
+2 [Siege Ramps]

1. 2. Move up the siege ramps to the walls. Once in place, our warriors shall run up them and overwhelm the settlement with our numbers and our bravery.

Rolled 16, 96 = 112 (2d100)

A few of the rabble are more confident waving their spears around - but in the wake of the battle it proves hard to make a concerted push south. There are injured to tend to, and dead to bury.
+60 men at arms, -60 rabble

The glory of battle! The prestige! The heroism!

Accolades pour down upon you as one of the foremost of the Iberian Crusaders. Tales are told far and wide of your brave leadership, and young men full of zeal to defend Christendom flock to your camps, clamouring for weapons so that they can march against the heathens in God's holy name. Deus Vult!
+700 rabble, +18 mounted

Tales of the battle of Valencia are common throughout al-andalus. People are abuzz with the news that the Christians are making inroads against the true faith.

But there must be resistance. Allah's people will not suffer the infidel to take their lands without a fight! No!

Hundreds of fresh faces gather, eager to be at the foe.
+503 rabble

Vengeance notwithstanding, the men under your banner seem to balk at the talk of vengeance, for that would take them into hell once again. You try to whip them into a fighting force for the ages, but the lick their wounds and mourn dead friends.

At least the news of the battle brings out crowds clamouring to defend their homes - though they make poor soldiers as well.
+661 rabble

The siege ramps are brought up against the walls, and the first wave is repelled - but you drive your men onwards, and eventually the garrison falls before your bellowing horde.

Rolled 3, 7 = 10 (2d100)

1. Train the rabble.

2. Gather more of the Faithful to our banner.

Fluff: Mercenary Captain, seeks peace for these lands and knows the Catholic monarchs will never allow it.
Military: 175 mounted, 632 men at arms, 511 rabble.

Bonuses: [Is it really so much to Azk?] As a man whose main concern is to fight for peace, Azka'hail gets a bonus of +5 to defensive combat rolls and +5 to diplomacy when negotiating truces.

+3 [Chests of Wealth]

D;

Rolled 41, 55 = 96 (2d100)

Fluff: During the first crusade James of Scotland conquered the southern shores of Anatolia and took the city of Antalya as his seat of power. Being blocked in by the Byzantine empire by land the nation focused inward, and partially thanks to the tolerance of King James, became a center of the sciences and arts.

Florian is the third prince of Antalya, and as such doesnt expect to inherit much from his father. As such he set off with some me to join the reconquista to claim some land for Antalya and himself.
Military: 75 mounted, 360 men at arms, 785 rabble.
Bonuses: [Antalyan Prince] Raised in a land of peace and progress, Florian gets +5 on literally anything that does not involve war or soldiers.

1. That is true. Make sure the dead are buried in the proper rituals of their faith and the wounded are taken care of, no matter the side they fought on. +5
2. Still attempt to expand my dominion to the south though.

Rolled 98, 48 = 146 (2d100)

Fluff: Mnguni, leader of the great Bantu people, comes to bring the Bantu to glory or eternal afterlife in battle against the Infidels and support the muslim brothers.
Transit: A European regiment in heavy armor and wagon train can march 30 miles in a day before they need rest.
A Bantu regiment can run 50 miles in a day, and fight at a battle at the end of it.
Military: 2435 rabble, 3 Mounted
Bonuses: [We Will Be Sultans] Taught of their manifest destiny by muslim imams, the tribal warriors of middle africa are powerful and relentless warriors - but lack much by way of equipment. Acquiring trained troops is harder for them, but their rabble is more effective.
5 [Chests of Wealth]

1. Tie up the survivors, and take what can be had for our spoil. Send a runner to the barbers, and tell them we have more slaves for sale. Let them have the men very old and the infants. The women, we shall divide in half for them and for the long train back to Africa with our other spoils.

2. Recruit more rabble. Send 2 chests of wealth along with slaves from the settlement back home, and put out word to the other tribes that there are good rewards to be had in these lands. I shall call upon more than just the Bantu to Spain.

*berbers.

I also forgot to say I want to keep the young men so I can make them warriors. Those aren't for sale.

Rolled 23, 6 = 29 (2d100)

Fluff: Tariq's ancestors boast a proud history of service to Islam and to al-Andalus. His family claim service to the Ummayad dynasty and all it's successors, extending from before 718 and the conquest of al-Andalus from the Catholic Visigoths. From birth, Tariq has trained in the art of strategy and war, and honed a reputation as a soldier of merit and student of Islam, despite his youth. He aspires to defend his home, despite any cost, and to repel any would be invaders with extreme prejudice. He seeks to make his ancestors proud and win favor as a valiant and loyal servant to his liege, the Emir of Cordoba. With his youth, however, comes a thirst for glory that has yet to be properly sated.
Military: 50 mounted, 333 men at arms, 879 rabble.
Allies:
Bonuses: [A Worthy Vassal] As vassals of Cordoba, Tariq and his family can occasionally act with the authority of their liege, but may have tasks required of them in exchange.

1. Poor soldiers are no soldiers at all. This will not do. Fire up the forges, craft cold steel with which to clad them. Drive their passion, craft hard soldiers to defend our homeland with.
>train Men at Arms

2. While the rulers of al-Andalus were content to take the Jiyza tax owed to them by the heathens, war is no time for tolerance. Confiscate all wealth and property from local Catholics, from the wealthiest merchant to the poorest pauper. Strike the heads off local Christian leaders, and make it known the penalty for worshiping Christ is death.

Increase the tax upon Jews as well, and collect it an advance, for all must do their part to support the war effort. If they will not fight, then they will pay with gold to repel the Christians.
>extort chests of wealth

Rolled 15, 93 = 108 (2d100)

Name: Imaad ibin'Nassor
Culture: Fatimid Caliphate
Fluff: The First Crusades were remembered as a triumph, not only in Europe, but in Egypt as well. Through faith, perseverance, and the cunning of the Caliph's most trusted general, Nassor ibin'Akil, the Fatimids conquered Sinai, beat back numerous Crusader incursions, and took Mecca without a single drop of blood. Now, in the thirty years since, Nassor's third son-- third of five-- has proven himself a competent and capable general. Like father, like son, they say, and so the Caliph has given Imaad a very important task: safeguard the Western borders of the Caliphate. Break any resistance. Prove that his family line are loyal warriors all.
Religion: Shia Islam
Colour: Dark Blue.
Transit: Arrived by horse to the Caliphate's western border.
Forces: 50 mounted, 765 MaA, 1385 rabble
Holdings: Significant Port w/ some ships, 3 [Chests of Wealth]
Bonuses: [My father, and his father, and...] A legacy of brave service has endeared you to the Shia Caliph. +10 to rolls asking for support... within reason.

1. Train the rabble; conflict with the 'New Caliph' will be inevitable, and the recruits must be tempered and trained.

2. We expand further into Sultanate land, trying to absorb villages and towns peacefully.

Rolled 23, 62 = 85 (2d100)

Name: Ulfric
Culture: East Rome
Fluff: the son of a Varangian guard and a maid Ulfric served under his father for a time in the Guard before buying an officer's title in the royal army. With his new command he has been ordered to secure the western Mediterranean isles for the empire.
Religion:Pagan
Transit: Ulfric travels by sea with a small detachment of the Imperial fleet
Military: 50 mounted, 475 men at arms, 465 rabble.
Territory: Mallorca
Holdings:
Extensive Shipyard
Partially complete Fortress
Bonuses: [Son of Varangia] The varangians are known as vicious and capable warriors, famously favoured by Eastern Emperors as bodyguards. +10 to combat when attacking.
1. Continue work on Fortress
2 Raise levies

Rolled 62, 42 = 104 (2d100)

Name: Shiekha Arwa al-‘Adawīyya
Culture: Shia Egyptian
Fluff: Shiekha Arwa al-‘Adawīyya was the only daughter of a great muslim Lord and tribesman in Egypt. When he died, there was no suitable husband for her, and so she inherited the tribe. Though she covers herself in the modesty befitting a woman, it is not in cloth and fabric but in metal and armor. She has taken up the scimitar and horse, and vowed to defend her family's honor and name. When the great Nassor united all of Egypt, she saw in him a mighty warrior of god fitting to follow. So she brings her clan in his service and under his banner.
Colour: Velvet
Transit: I am in Egypt
Military: 50 mounted, 200 men at arms, 500 rabble.
Bonuses: [Fangirl] Having followed Nassor's son Imaad to central north africa, Arwa gets +5 on rolls when trying to attract sempai's attention.

1-2. Nassor is trying to train these rabble but they resist him. I will take out my whip and flaky these petulant peasants into discipline!
>Bonuses: [Fangirl] Having followed Nassor's son Imaad to central north africa, Arwa gets +5 on rolls when trying to attract sempai's attention.

GO CHRISTIANS!!!

Rolled 50, 46 = 96 (2d100)

1. Stupendous! Truly these men that are here with us on this day are truly the best that Christendom has to offer! In honor of their bravery and heroics official be held at my keep. All Christian Lords of the realm are welcome to attend.

2. But in this our celebration we must not falter I'll call is to go out for all great men of the realm to join me that's why I keep to form a holy Army to drive back thethe horrible goat fornicators from righteous Christian landslands!

There is a time of great mourning, encouraged by doomsayers and other malcontents, that occupies all of your underlings and makes it so that nothing gets done.

In an act of peculiar charity, Prince Florian leads his men in the burial of the various fallen whose bodies still litter the fields.

He even presides over the burial of an unnamed muslim warrior, symbolically digging the grave himself.

Though the Catholics look a touch askance at this, it reassures his new subjects - and those to the south are impressed with the respect he shows to those of another faith, a few townships joining his new realm peacefully rather than risking the swords of the crusaders.

Slavery - surprise surprise - is a very lucrative trade. As the castillians are sold off to southern Berbers, the wealth pours in - Enough for Mnguni to make a pile as tall as a man.

Hoping to benefit from some of this wealth, he recruits rabble from his distant homeland.
+10 [Chests of Wealth]
+244 rabble

Still scattered by the retreat, Tariq has no easy access to forges and smiths. His men remain poorly equipped, and the local Christians and Jews resent the confiscation of their wealth and the deaths of their leaders, violence erupting when the rabble goes to loot their homes.
+1 [Chest of Wealth]
-43 rabble

The so-called Sunni Caliph has been pressing hard against the men of Tunis. They fear him - but they fear the wrath of a resurgent Fatimid Egypt even more. Whether it is just the reputation of your father or inspired by your own victories so far, they swear to bow before your authority as long as you can help to secure their borders.

It is a good deal - but a lot of work to entrench the locals against the threat of the west, and training does not progress - or it would not, if not for the assistance of Shiekha Arwa.
+82 men at arms, -82 rabble

Rolled 81, 4 = 85 (2d100)

Name: Alfonso Bernardo
Culture: Gallego(Gallaecia, Castille-Leon wahtever)
Fluff: A knight bound to the mayor of a fishing village in northern Galicia, Alfonso's family has lived in that village for a few hundred years now, enjoying the static and decent life they've made there. Alfonso, however, is not satisfied with his things are going for his country. While the throne has pushed them back, greedy lords from other countries have come to stake their name and plant their own kingdoms at the behest of the queen! So, Alfonso has decided to form his own army and reclaim Iberia for the Spanish.
Religion: Christian; with pagan elements
Colour: Cyan or light blue
Transit: From Gallaecia
Military: 50 mounted, 200 men at arms, 500 rabble.
Bonuses: [Long Live the Queen!] +5 when directly opposing the enemies of Castille.

1-2; Train the rabble. we need strong and proper men if we want to liberate Hispania

The fortress comes to a standstill when a walkway unexpectedly collapses under a heavy block of stone, necessitating some of the work to be done over again. By the end of the month things are just back where they started.

At least you manage to levy some fresh souls into your military.
+306 rabble

Your training goes decently - those layabouts probably wouldn't have done anything if you hadn't insisted that your officers do a round of their camps, sending whithering looks this way and that.
+136 men at arms, -136 rabble

You organise in your 'keep', which seems to be a tent in the middle of a battlefield for now - but such is the life of a Crusader.

The revelry draws people to you, ready to serve.
+303 rabble

Rolled 96, 30 = 126 (2d100)

1. Train the rabble.

2. Ingratiate myself to the local clerics.

Military: 175 mounted, 632 men at arms, 511 rabble.

+3 [Chests of Wealth]

This isn't a quest, desu sempai

Rolled 5, 67 = 72 (2d100)

1. Begin recruiting more men from these new towns.
2. Begin setting up trade from Valencia to Antalya. Father should be pleased with the increase in trade and the people of Iberia should be able to get cheaper goods from the east. +5

Rolled 9, 60 = 69 (2d100)

Name: Crispinus Tullus Scruffitius
Culture: Tripoli (of polish/lebanese descent)
Fluff: pastebin.com/GZmvmxHx
Colour: Orange - the Classic Color
Transit: Marching Southwest from Southern Germany
Military: 78 mounted, 506 men at arms, 1018 rabble.
Bonuses: [Pauper Prince] An ambitious young man denied his birthright and trained for warfare by holy men, Crispinus gets +5 to all combat rolls.
1 Chest of Wealth
Holdings: [Mequinenza] (Crib full o' bitches)

1. A bonfire for the ages, surely. Enough fun, we should train the men, my father's book shall do nicely as a manual, see to acquiring enough for the officers so that they may drill the men in its work.

2. In the meantime, lets push a tad farther south into muslim lands.

Rolled 12, 20 = 32 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 333 men at arms, 836 rabble.
Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]

Tariq knocks the reports from his desk with one swift stroke. Turning to his squire, Fahmi, his eyes turn dark and cold.

"I tried to be UNDERSTANDING. I tried to be MERCIFUL. But these Heathens refuse to listen to reason. They also understand punishment."

1.2 Fahmi, it is time to prove yourself once more. You shall take a contingent of our finest, and you shall loot the homes of every Christian, Jew, and Pagan within riding distance.

As PUNISHMENT for their acts of senseless violence, you shall take 43 men from each Christian community. You will kill them. Am I understood. You will kill each man with 43 cuts. They will understand the price of insolence. Confiscate anything of value, burn the rest.

Lord Yusuf, your men shall do the same. Am I understood? Good. For the Fallen, and for Allah."

Rolled 65, 43 = 108 (2d100)

Fluff: the son of a Varangian guard and a maid Ulfric served under his father for a time in the Guard before buying an officer's title in the royal army. With his new command he has been ordered to secure the western Mediterranean isles for the empire.
Military: 50 mounted, 475 men at arms, 771 rabble.
Holdings:
Extensive Shipyard
Bonuses: [Son of Varangia] The varangians are known as vicious and capable warriors, famously favoured by Eastern Emperors as bodyguards. +10 to combat when attacking.
1-2: Build Fortress

Rolled 54, 87 = 141 (2d100)

Military: 2679 rabble, 3 Mounted
13 [Chests of Wealth]

1. There is nothing left here. The Bantu do not need stone houses to live in like these christians. Take whatever animals and crops to be had, then burn the houses and the settlement and set the fields on fire, then head north for more settlements.

2. Raiding here is rewarding! I wonder why more of our moorish brothers aren't brave to fight the infidel? Let us look north for another village to take. A bigger one. Maybe our actions will inspire our moorish brothers to follow and be warriors too, but we will also weaken the christians.

Rolled 94, 25 = 119 (2d100)

Fluff: The First Crusades were remembered as a triumph, not only in Europe, but in Egypt as well. Through faith, perseverance, and the cunning of the Caliph's most trusted general, Nassor ibin'Akil, the Fatimids conquered Sinai, beat back numerous Crusader incursions, and took Mecca without a single drop of blood. Now, in the thirty years since, Nassor's third son-- third of five-- has proven himself a competent and capable general. Like father, like son, they say, and so the Caliph has given Imaad a very important task: safeguard the Western borders of the Caliphate. Break any resistance. Prove that his family line are loyal warriors all.
Forces: 50 mounted, 847 MaA, 1303 rabble
Bonuses: [My father, and his father, and...] A legacy of brave service has endeared you to the Shia Caliph. +10 to rolls asking for support... within reason.

Imaad bowed his head as he rode past Shiekha's encampment. "My thanks to you in helping the training efforts. The new men are scared and stubborn; it takes some effort."

1. Expand further.

2. Imaad sends a courier forth to the Sultan urging him to peacefully align himself with the Fatimid Caliphate so that both powers can fight against the New Caliph. The -true- Caliph, the Fatimid Caliph, will likely be forgiving of him if he does.

Wooo! Let me just dig up my character sheet...

Rolled 22, 35 = 57 (2d100)

Fluff: Shiekha Arwa al-‘Adawīyya was the only daughter of a great muslim Lord and tribesman in Egypt. When he died, there was no suitable husband for her, and so she inherited the tribe. Though she covers herself in the modesty befitting a woman, it is not in cloth and fabric but in metal and armor. She has taken up the scimitar and horse, and vowed to defend her family's honor and name. When the great Nassor united all of Egypt, she saw in him a mighty warrior of god fitting to follow. So she brings her clan in his service and under his banner.
Military: 50 mounted, 336 men at arms, 364 rabble.
Bonuses: [Fangirl] Having followed Nassor's son Imaad to central north africa, Arwa gets +5 on rolls when trying to attract sempai's attention.

1-2. Nassor wants to get the Sultan on our side. It stands that most men in power listen to those around them. I will need to put words into the mouth of the Sultan's advisors.

I cannot do that with the forces I have now, but I know who can. I'll have to use my connections to contact them. . .
>Get in touch and start doing favors for the Hashashim, bringing them to Nassor's side

Rolled 73, 26 = 99 (2d100)

Name: John De Hampton
Culture: Anglo-Norman
Fluff: Like many English second sons he will not inherit land from his father and so must go out into the world to take his own. He was educated and armed as befitting any knight, although oddly he can read too. He has spent time in Ireland and Wales fighting against the tribal Celts and their unsymmetrical style of warfare. Rumour has it he slew his own cousin when challenged for the hand of a rich land owner and now seeks penance through the blood of infidels.
Colour: Red and white
Transit: Boat in to Asturias, then by foot into the marcher territories of western Christian held Spain
Military: 70 mounted, 305 men at arms, 480 rabble.
Bonuses: [Knight Repentant] Undertaking the crusade to redeem himself of his martial sins, John has a history of prevailing in honour duels, and receives +10 in personal combat

Actions:

1) Expand outwards of Lisbon, liberating more land in the surrounding countryside

2) recruit and train more men as city guards and as a personal force to help secure the region

You organise two large groups of rabble into rouch regiments, equipping them with simple armour and long spears, and eventually manage to teach them how to stay in a simple formation - but the local clerics are resistant to your charms for now.
+200 men at arms, -200 rabble

(You) post in a thread that doesn't require it, smugly sitting back in your chair.

(You) are so braindead you don't realise how important archiving old threads is to a nation-builder so that people can retrieve their stats, and don't understand that it's entirely different when lots of people decide the actions of one individual versus an entire crowd of interwoven narratives working off each other.

But hey, maybe if (You) post enough, Veeky Forums will become perfect and pristine enough to distract you from the crushing mediocrity of your existence, where telling people to get off your board is the highlight of your day.
-1 [Sense of Purpose]

While they are willing to accept you as their overlord, it seems these new subjects are reluctant to be drafted into your armed forces.

Fortunately the trade goes well, or you might worry things were starting to go downhill.
+3 [Chests of Wealth]

You march your men southward, but mis-reading your father's book means that the men are not trained to the exacting standards of your men at arms, alas.

Your sub-commanders understand your orders, but when they come to take the men, and start to inflict the requisite punishments, the communities riot in tandem - christians, jews and pagans united in resistance of your brutality. And while they suffer losses, so do you.
-86 rabble

Your fortress is now a stout keep on high ground with a sturdy curtain wall. You could continue to improve it with a moat, more walls or sturdier towers, but it should be reasonably defensible.

You loot and pillage across the countryside, taking precious things in great number - and before long you lead your horde to the walls of a great settlement.
+2 [Chests of Wealth]

The Tunisian Sultan is reluctant - very reluctant - to pledge himself to the Fatimids, being Sunni when they are Shia. That said, your messengers are not exeuted, and many of his subservient lords start to openly defect, in the hopes that you can keep them from losing their lands to invasion.

Progress is slow. Few men of power and influence are so eager to be the tools of a woman, it seems.

It seems, with the city taken, that the locals are quite easily subdued - but a disciplined town guard is difficult to instill with discipline.

Your men train well, but news reaches your ears of coal-skinned beasts of men ravaging southern Castille.
+166 men at arms, -166 rabble

Rolled 96, 83 = 179 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 333 men at arms, 750 rabble.
Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]

1. While my disappointment is clear, I am sure the 86 lashes dealt to Fahmi send a clear message regarding my stance on failure. The boy has potential, but must be shaped. Allah has found him wanting, and I am but his deliverer.

We must take the fight to the Christians - who are currently on the offensive.
>March to Lisbon.

2. Recruit more rabble en-route, in the name of the Emir & the defense of his realms
>train rabble

Rolled 31, 24 = 55 (2d100)

1. Well, there are always mercenaries or those willing to fight for a bit of stable pay. There should be plenty of those around. - 3 chests of wealth to recruit.
2. Begin expanding westward. At this point it is either I or the Catholics that will end up claiming the land they reside upon. I'm fairly certain they have heard rumors. +5

Rolled 35, 19 = 54 (2d100)

Fluff: Like many English second sons he will not inherit land from his father and so must go out into the world to take his own. He was educated and armed as befitting any knight, although oddly he can read too. He has spent time in Ireland and Wales fighting against the tribal Celts and their unsymmetrical style of warfare. Rumour has it he slew his own cousin when challenged for the hand of a rich land owner and now seeks penance through the blood of infidels.
Transit: Boat in to Asturias, then by foot into the marcher territories of western Christian held Spain
Bonuses: [Knight Repentant] Undertaking the crusade to redeem himself of his martial sins, John has a history of prevailing in honour duels, and receives +10 in personal combat

Actions:

1) Train up the town guard and the troops with me

2) Send word back to the British Isles to try and recruit more lords, soldiers and peasants to the cause

Rolled 71, 99 = 170 (2d100)

Forces: 50 mounted, 847 MaA, 1303 rabble

1. The Sultan will not bend his knee. He is too proud to see where this road will take him; perhaps he is eager to be with Allah, if any Sunni is able to do so.

In any case, if he will not take proper stewardship of his lands and people, WE will.

Continue absorbing Sultanate land.

2. Train the Rabble. A fight is just over the horizon.

Rolled 31, 68 = 99 (2d100)

15 [Chests of Wealth]

1. It's time to lay siege again. Go out and surround the settlement, drive the masses into the castle, and take the farmland. They will eat up their supplies, we shall feast on their land and sing war songs around them and starve them out.

2. We will need siege ramps again. I will spend 3 chests this time so I can get three ramps instead of two.

Rolled 79, 42 = 121 (2d100)

1-2. The Sultan refuses, the need is made more evident. I will continue to do all I can to get the Hashashim in Nassor's sphere of influence.

It won't be easy, and it won't be quick, but then such are the ways of the assassin themselves no? If we require their persistance, we will show it ourselves.

Rolled 12, 52 = 64 (2d100)

Fluff: A knight bound to the mayor of a fishing village in northern Galicia, Alfonso's family has lived in that village for a few hundred years now, enjoying the static and decent life they've made there. Alfonso, however, is not satisfied with his things are going for his country. While the throne has pushed them back, greedy lords from other countries have come to stake their name and plant their own kingdoms at the behest of the queen! So, Alfonso has decided to form his own army and reclaim Iberia for the Spanish.
Military: 50 mounted, 366 men at arms, 334 rabble.
Bonuses: [Long Live the Queen!] +5 when directly opposing the enemies of Castille.

1-2; We must continue training the men! I don't wan any to be unable to protect themselves

Rolled 69, 18 = 87 (2d100)

1. Train rabble into men at arms

2. Push further south

A remarkably swift forced march later, you stand within striking distance of the city of Lisbon. No complaint is made after the example made of Fahmi, and the boy himself has become quiet and grim in the wake of his punishment.

You come across a small, drunken band of saxons, and take them captive.

Crossing so much land, you drag along every able-bodied man who comes to see the fuss - and draft several hundred new amateur warriors.
+412 rabble

For three chests of wealth, you engage a small mercenary company, visiting from Italy in the hopes that this latest crusade will win them wealth and renown.
+Allies [Pisan Mercenaries] 1 mounted, 240 men at arms

It seems your messages back to the place of your birth are waylaid or misplaced, as no reply is forthcoming. You make some small progress with the town guard, but a small party peasant levies go missing.
+50 men at arms, -72 rabble

It seems nothing can stop the inexorable march of the servants of the true Caliph. Lords bend the knee, or are made to bend them - and many of their household guards are drafted into your force, able to train some of your less seasoned troops in turn.

It seems the Tunisian Sultan has been forced back by his western foes, and is now hiding out, besieged in the city of Tebessa, which may fall to the Almoravids at any moment.
+400 men at arms, -200 rabble

It is a sound plan, to surround them in their keep and take their farmland - and while you do surround them, the town guard fights a rear-guard action that allows them to take a great deal of food along with them.

But your ramps are constructed in quick time. How can they hope to stand against you?

The Hashashim are not easily swayed to service. You may eventually win them to your side, but the effort required wil not be inconsiderable.

Your men train, and slowly but surely they learn to defend themselves.
+101 men at arms, -101 rabble

Rabble train, but you can't push.
+133 men at arms, -133 rabble

Rolled 56, 76 = 132 (2d100)

Allies [Pisan Mercenaries] 1 mounted, 240 men at arms

I feel like I may have been screwed over in that deal.
1. Begin expansion towards the west. +5?
2. Continue training for all the men.

Rolled 38, 59 = 97 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 467 men at arms, 233 rabble.

1; Continue training troops!
2; Acquire proper merchants and diplomats and send them on boats to Britanny to work out trade routes with local lords or even the duke himself

Rolled 20, 50 = 70 (2d100)

Military: 70 mounted, 355 men at arms, 408 rabble.

Actions:

1) Muster and train as many men as possible in preparation for the siege

2) Send another request back to the isles for aid

Rolled 78, 91 = 169 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 333 men at arms, 1162 rabble.
Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]

Lisbon coming into distance, Tariq surveys the Portuguese landscape from atop his vantage point, clad fully in mail and plate. Emir Yusuf's stallion approaches at a trot.

"Hell of a fortress." The aged lord says.

"Indeed. A worthy jewel for the Caliphate."

Tariq turns to the humbled Fahmi, still wincing from his wounds. "Prepare the captives. I'm sure the Crusaders are worried sick about their lost messengers."

A brief silence follows, but the boy complies. "As you wish, Mi'lord. As you wish".

1. Surround the city, preventing any supplies from traveling in and out. Riders shall go out, and take care of any scouts and loyalists. Finally, the heads of the captive saxons shall be "returned" to the defenders.

2. Construct siege engines to bombard the walls of Lisbon.

Rolled 27, 100 = 127 (2d100)

1-2. Men, money, women, knife, blood, family, these are the tools I have at my disposal and I will continue to use them to win the assassins no matter how long it takes, while Nassor eats away at the false Caliphate

Rolled 65, 66 = 131 (2d100)

Military: 175 mounted, 832 men at arms, 311 rabble.

+3 [Chests of Wealth]

1. Join our allies near Lisbon.

2. Collect some more rabble along the way.

Rolled 43, 79 = 122 (2d100)

Forces: 50 mounted, 1247 MaA, 1103 rabble

1 and 2. "The Tunisian Sultan is holed away in Tebessa! He has ignored our calls for capitulation, for harmonious agreement-- he can ignore them no longer.

"Perhaps he can be convinced to cede his territory to us before more bloodshed comes-- we ride to Tebessa!"

March to Tebessa to break the siege.

Rolled 8, 96 = 104 (2d100)

15 [Chests of Wealth]

1 + 2. My men are brave warriors who are willing to die for me. But I do not make them die without reason, and I want to weaken the enemy with hunger before I send in my warriors.

The Bantu are as agile as they are fast, each and everyone of them could scale a wall with their bare hands. I will take some of my best climbers, and spread black oil and mud upon their bodies. At night, I will have them climb the walls in secret and go into the town to set the food stores on fire.

Rolled 85, 39 = 124 (2d100)

1 kill dindus

2 train more men

Rolled 71, 43 = 114 (2d100)

Holdings:
Extensive Shipyard
1-2: Build Fortress

The camps of the catholic crusaders lie to the west, and some of them seem to be establishing control of territory for themselves - but it's a simple enough matter for you to work around them, and seize the coast, while giving your soldiers some minor experience.
+150 men at arms, -150 rabble

You manage to secure a small trade deal with the Duke of Brittany - but no regular route is established with a single trip.

The money comes in useful to buy equipment for your men, so that they can train properly.
+2 [Chests of Wealth]
+60 men at arms, -60 rabble

It is too late to muster men, it seems - for the warriors of islam are already upon you, and the groups you send out to drum up support end up captured or killed in their turn.

The foe catapults the heads of your missing men over the walls of Lisbon.

Whether the isles heard your request for aid or not, you cannot know - it is a long way away, and your supplies are meagre.
-10 men at arms, -60 rabble

Your men erect several catapults, working hard through day and night to form the sturdy timbers into proper siege engines, and your outriders take more captives as they ride around the nearby countryside.

You look upon five simple catapults releasing their payloads, and hear the cries of shock and horror as the christians within the walls quickly come face to face with their old brothers in arms.

Your men march long and hard through the baking sun, and though Lisbon is still a short march away, you should make it in another week or so if you try.

Though most of the able-bodied men have already been taken, you do manage to pull a few more along in your wake.
+299 rabble

You lead your men west to Tebessa, and see a city surrounded by forces of the eastern pretender Caliph - but fortunately for you, it seems that the main body of his men has moved away from a conquest he thought was already won to address the more pressing matters of the Christian invasion of Iberia.

A charge into their flanks sees them in disarray soon enough, and while they put up a fight, they are soon overrun.

You have lost men, but not too many - and the refuge of the Zirid Sultan, formerly master of Tunis, lies before you.
-100 rabble

The supplies the people took with them are many - and the town guard put up a spirited defence of many of the stores, but before long the majority of the people's food is burning, and their defenders starting to give in to starvation.
-35 rabble

You kill dindus and train more men.
+55 men at arms, -55 rabble

Your men are hard at work building more, and sturdier towers into the outer walls - and they are taking shape, impressive against the skyline.

Through wit, guile and the occasional instance of outright bribery, Shieka Arwa slowly wins over the agents of the Hashashim. Their network is expansive, but with a sharp mind and a noble upbringing, she is well equipped to track them down and secure their loyalties. Spies, informants and even front-businesses are not proof from her scheming, and before long not a thing happens in Shia-controlled northern africa without her knowing.

The spy network she has established is boggling, especially in such a short time - and she has secured the assistance of the famous assassins.
+1 [Hashashim] This trained killer may be sent on a mission to take the life of any one person, and will return to your service if they are not killed in action.

AND EITHER
+[Hashashim Contacts] +5 to underhanded actions where the Hashashim have influence (including assassinations)
OR
+1 [Hashashim]

Rolled 95, 90 = 185 (2d100)

I meant recruiting from within the city...Surely there's some dudes in there it wouldn't be hard to arm

Actions:

1) Attempt to build catapults inside the walls to begin counter shelling their own. They cannot see where my catapults will be but my men can spot from the walls

2) Continue calls for aid from the British Isles and even nearby Christian Iberia, seek mercenaries or whomever may fight

Rolled 25, 38 = 63 (2d100)

Military: 75 mounted, 510 men at arms, 635 rabble.

1. Continue western expansion. +5?
2. Begin having a military academy built in Valencia, much like the military academy within Antalya.

Rolled 74, 49 = 123 (2d100)

Holdings:
Extensive Shipyard
1: Build Fortress
2: Train Rabble

Rolled 96, 46 = 142 (2d100)

Military: 2644 rabble, 3 Mounted
15 [Chests of Wealth]

1 + 2. Move up the siege ramps to the walls. The settlement is weak with hunger, it's time to attack. Go my warriors and take our prize!

Rolled 82, 20 = 102 (2d100)

Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]

1.2 Attempt to breach the walls of Lisbon with shelling and siege engines. Continue tasking the soldiers to the construction of engines of war, and ready the men. If a breach is formed, than a storm of blood and battle is surely coming.

Warrior Azka'Hail,

We are preparing to assault the city of Lisbon - we expect your men to join in the assault, to share in the glory and the spoils.

Rolled 57, 83 = 140 (2d100)

Forces: 50 mounted, 1247 MaA, 1003 rabble

1 and 2. Imaad strode forward toward the gate, flanked by his personal retinue. He lifted the hand that did not clutch a shield up and forward, fingers spread.

"Sultan of Tunis, I have broken the host before you. Whether this siege continues-- carried out by a much more fearsome force-- is entirely up to you. The Fatimid Caliph is merciful; bend your knee and cede your lands to Fatimid control, and you will retain not only a good measure of power and wealth, but your own life and the lives of your men, and with your aid the true Caliph shall break the pretender over his knee. I urge you to accept, for this is the -last- time I will offer a hand in peace, and I do not wish for more blood to be spilled here."

Attempt to convince the Sultan to lay down his arms, leave the fort and join the Fatimid Caliphate.

Rolled 42, 7 = 49 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 527 men at arms, 173 rabble.
Bonuses:
[Long Live the Queen!] +5 when directly opposing the enemies of Castille.
2 [Chests of Wealth]

1; Call in mounted knights from across Gallaecia and Leon! We will gather men looking for a cause for our march soon to Lisbon!
2; Continue training Men

Rolled 48, 23 = 71 (2d100)

+1 [Hashashim] This trained killer may be sent on a mission to take the life of any one person, and will return to your service if they are not killed in action.

[Hashashim Contacts] +5 to underhanded actions where the Hashashim have influence (including assassinations)

1-2. Even if the Sultan surrenders, there may still be pockets of loyalists who will prove. . .difficult. I must expediate the process by intimidating or eliminating any generals who have plans to support the false sultan in rebellion, and in their place we will leave alive the generals who would be more loyal to Nassor so they might be promoted. This will ensure his armies come easily to Nassor's banner.

This will be the first task of the Hashashim.
>[Hashashim Contacts] +5 to underhanded actions where the Hashashim have influence (including assassinations)

Your men frenziedly set to assembling siege engines of your own with which to defend your walls, and an exchange of artillery fire soon follows - heavy stone missiles impacting against your sturdy walls while you attempt to get into position to return fire and whittle down the enemy numbers - but just as they are put in place, the foe demolishes a short stretch of wall.

But someone on high must have heard your pleas, because countrymen from England sail into port ready to defend the city against the people you won it from.
+Allies: [British Crusaders] 250 men at arms, 500 rabble

The administration of a fief in war-torn Iberia is proving to be troublesome this month, and only basic plans for the academy are drawn up.

Impressive towers dot the cutrain walls of your fortress, and the men start to dig a moat around it to stymie those wishing to assault it, as the rabble train on the grounds inside.
+100 men at arms, -100 rabble

The city falls easily before you, the pathetic resistance completely gutted by hunger.

The city of Salamanca is yours to hold or pillage as you see fit.

You bombard the walls of the city even as your men spot sails flying saxon colours sail into the harbour, and just as the defenders mount their own catapults on the walls, a portion comes tumbling down - a way opened into the heart of the city.

The Sultan, almost emaciated from the siege and with sunken features, comes to surrender in person, and swear his sultanate to the Fatimid Caliph - his earlier pride replaced by broken humility.

A handful of mounted knights rally to your call.
+15 mounted

Loyalists prove more difficult to root out in an atmosphere of complete surrender - but even so, you feel as though your efforts smoothed the situation.

Military: 65 mounted, 527 men at arms, 173 rabble.
Bonuses:
2 [Chests of Wealth]

1-2; March south while calling more mounted knights to our cause! We will break the siege of Lisbon and free Lisbon!

Rolled 8, 31 = 39 (2d100)

2. Begin having a military academy built in Valencia, much like the military academy within Antalya. +5

Rolled 19, 35 = 54 (2d100)

Misspelled Die

Rolled 24, 50 = 74 (2d100)

Military: 70 mounted, 355 men at arms, 402 rabble.
+Allies: [British Crusaders] 250 men at arms, 500 rabble
Actions:

1) Have the catapults target their siege engines and army, try to discourage them from the breach with flamming oil if any can be found

2) have the men rush to the breach and begin making barricades, they must hold here

Rolled 70, 65 = 135 (2d100)

15 [Chests of Wealth]

1 + 2. Praise be Allah who rules the fields of the world. This is more slaves than I have seen. I do not know if my warriors can handle it. Send a runnerto the Berbers again, this time have them come here and help us with all these spoils. Maybe we can convince some of them to join us directly.

Just like before, the Berbers will get all the old men and all the infants, but I keep the child and teen males to raise as warriors. The women and girls we shall divide equally.

Rolled 80, 49 = 129 (2d100)

1. Write a letter to the Caliph, informing him of the Sultan's surrender and the circumstances surrounding such, as well as notifying him that the lands of the Fatimids are now directly bordering the Eastern Caliph.

With Imaad's successes relayed, one question remains: What is he to do now? Attack, or wait? +10

2. Recruit soldiers from the freshly dismantled Sultanate, promising them food and wages and salvation through Shi'a Islam.

Rolled 63, 70 = 133 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 575 men at arms, 671 rabble.
Holdings:
Extensive Shipyard
1: Build Fortress
2: Train Rabble

Rolled 80, 8 = 88 (2d100)

Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]

Rallying the men with cries of encouragement and vows of vengeance, Tariq spurs his warriors forward.

The aged and grizzled Yusuf has pledged to be the first past the breach, and his men form the spearhead of the assault.

Bombardment continues, aimed deep inside the city, while the Muslim archers rain flaming arrows down upon the city.

While Yusuf attempts to open the Breach, Tariq stands ready, observing the battlefield and commanding a contingent of the finest cavalry. With Fahmi at his side, he stands ready to push forward when the enemies strength wanes, or defend from any counterattacks.

Rolled 51, 10 = 61 (2d100)

1-2. While Nassor goes about recruiting soldiers of the old Sultanate, I will go about recruiting generals, officers, and captains. Rooting out the loyalists with the Hashiashim has already helped, now to cement in service those who are left who will lead Nassors greater host.

Both Rolls to combat action, in case that was not clear

Rolled 58, 40 = 98 (2d100)

Military: 175 mounted, 832 men at arms, 600 rabble.

+3 [Chests of Wealth]

We join our comrades in the assault, fully committing ourselves to the attack.

1. Get there.

2. Kill bitches.

It is a long way south, and your men do not get the whole way this month.

Alas, expansion efforts are stymied, and the architects still bicker over which set of mediocre plans to use in the construction of the academy.

You make a tidy profit from the trade of slaves once again, and a small contingent of Berbers tag along with your force.
+Allies: [Berber Slavers] 200 men at arms

The Caliph's answer is short and to the point, complete with praise for your swift campaign.

The armed men who delivered it are to remain with you in the campaign to secure northern africa, just as the soldiers of the Zirid sultanate find their place amongst your ranks.
+Allies: [Fatimid Forces] 100 mounted, 200 men at arms
+Allies: [Zirid Veterans] 200 men at arms

Your obsession with the fortress starts to worry some of your men, but they train, mute and accepting of your orders still.
+140 men at arms, -140 rabble

After weeks of intriguing, and quietly removing those who may pose a threat, you are confident that Imaad's conquests will not be threatened from within.

Catapult-fire flying overhead, your men move to secure the breach in the walls of Lisbon. Crude barricades and boiling oil at the fore, they set to receive the charge.

Azka'hail's men join Tariq's lieutenant Yusuf in the charge on the breach, and as Yusuf leads a flying column of stout warriors behind a screaming rabble, a boulder lobbed by the defender's catapults careens into them, crushing men from the sheer mass of the missile, and sending others flying.

As the mass of bodies press into the breach, screams rend the air as boiling oil and arrows take their toll - but there can be no letting up against the infidel.

The barricades hold for not very long at all - and though a great many of the muslims were felled before they reached the walls and as they rushed the barricaded breach, the flow of battle soon clearly favours the attackers, and the defending christians start to waver as flaming arrows start to rain down amongst them.

As the clash starts to turn into a slaughter, John is faced with a choice.

Does he gamble it all on one suicidal charge to resecure the breach, or does he lead an organised retreat to the beckoning sails of the boats at harbour, to fight again another day?

-29 men at arms, -720 rabble

-10 men at arms, -250 rabble

-5 men at arms, -100 rabble

Rolled 50, 76 = 126 (2d100)

+Allies: [Berber Slavers] 200 men at arms
15 [Chests of Wealth]

1 + 2. Now that the slaves and spoils have been taken, how do I deal with the city? This is not like the small settlements, there are too many stone buildings and stone does not burn. How can we hurt the Christians by destroying this place? The berbers tell me of ancient Carthage, and how the romans sowed the fields with salt and skulls and poisoned the water wells.

Very well. Spend 1 Chest of Wealth to buy large sacks of Salt from the sea, and break open the catacombs and tombs to pull out the skeletons to lay them in the fields. Let us also crucify the dead on crosses too, to scare away the Christians in a mockery of their faith. Break open the sewers and divert them into the water wells to poison them. Then light the city and the surrounding fields on fire.

Rolled 40, 64 = 104 (2d100)

Military: 65 mounted, 527 men at arms, 173 rabble.
Bonuses:
2 [Chests of Wealth]

1; Stop at Porto and call for support for our army heading to Lisbon. Request the lord there for soldiers as well.
2; Head south on boat and head into Lisbon via port to support the crusaders there against the moors

Rolled 46, 68 = 114 (2d100)

Military: 70 mounted, 355 men at arms, 282 rabble.
+Allies: [British Crusaders] 231 men at arms
Actions:

1+2) Have John lead his men on a fighting retreat through the streets, allowing as many of the men to board as possible, saving the knights and Men at arms as well as the rabble if there's time.

This won't be the last time I rule Lisbon!

Rolled 30, 3 = 33 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 575 men at arms, 671 rabble.
Holdings:
Extensive Shipyard
The Bastion

I declare the Fortress done for now and name it The Bastion.

1-2: Set Sail for Gibraltar and attack if possible +10 for attacking

Forgot to update my troop numbers
715 men at arms, 531 rabble.

Rolled 31, 58 = 89 (2d100)

Allied Forces: [Fatimid Forces: 100 Mounted, 200 Men at Arms], [Zirid Forces: 200 Men at Arms]

1. Train the rabble! They must be fit and skilled for the campaign ahead!

2. Expand into the territory of the 'new Caliph'. Bring them under the rule of a TRUE Caliph, not some Sunni pretender.

Rolled 95, 31 = 126 (2d100)

Military: 50 mounted, 328 men at arms, 1062 rabble.
Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]

Crossing the breach atop his destrier, Tariq nods with approval at the blooded Yusuf, covered in Christian gore and gristle and wearing a smile, ear to ear.

Tariq meets Azak'hail with a firm grasp. Yusuf's joy and bloodlust spreading to Tariq, he grabs the fellow warrior and proclaims - "Peace be upon you brother. Now let us finish this fight, Allah be willing."

Tariq thrusts his sword high, and with a shout, issues his final order to his men...

"LEAVE NO CHRISTIAN STANDING! DRIVE THEM INTO THE SEA! FOR ALLAH! FOR THE FALLEN! FOR AL-ANDALUS, AND FOR GLORY!"

And with that, the hounds of war are released upon the city. Muslim Jihadist push at every front, with Tariq himself leading a charge of mounted horsemen wielding his scimitar with deadly precision.

Rolled 1, 79 = 80 (2d100)

1-2. In the name of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and in Nassor, ride out with my desert warriors. We go to expand the true Caliphate!
>Expand Nassor's domain

Rolled 96, 28 = 124 (2d100)

I swear to God if no progress is made again I will replace you all! There are plenty of people in these lands that can do your jobs.
2. Begin having a military academy built in Valencia, much like the military academy within Antalya. +5

A letter arrives, written clearly in Imaad's hand.

"You have my thanks for assisting in my efforts: however, I find the rumors that you refer to me by my father's name disconcerting. Once you are finished with your latest excursion, I would like to talk.

-Imaad ibin'Nassor"

Rolled 32, 60, 89, 53 = 234 (4d100)

Name: Lord Otto von Saxon
Culture: Holy Roman Empire; Saxony
Fluff: A mid-ranking knight of the Knights Hospitaller, finding himself leading a small band of like-minded cavalrymen, Otto was purportedly sent in order to oversee the progress of his peers, as well as ferry a large surplus of supplies to both his fellow crusaders and any bereaved locals. Taking his responsibilities seriously, he and his men believe in fighting with a strange code of honor, defending the weak and innocent from harm, even extending some mercy to pagans and the misguided heretics. After all, are not all equal under God's eyes?
Colour: Battleship Gray
Transit: Horseback, alongside wagons
Military: 108 mounted, 332 men at arms, 316 rabble
Important Items:
Bonuses: [Warrior of God] +10 to combat rolls against religious enemies. -10 to combat rolls against fellow Christians and civilised Pagans.

1. Training of the rabble continues. We all need to be prepared to defend this city!
2. Continue doing errands for the locals to earn favours and income. Good deeds combined with faith bring you closer to the Lord!
3. [Rabble training intensifies]
4. More bread winning: we shall use the material wealth gleaned from here to better the city!

The city is well and truly destroyed, ruined almost beyond recognition - disease rampant among the ruined survivors.

A beachhead is established on the mainland, after a gruelling struggle.
-30 rabble

You surge along the coast, securing a few towns and villages for the true Caliph.

You venture out into the territory of the western Sunni - and run smack dab into the reformed survivors of the siege of Tebessa, who brutally tear through your weaker force, neccessitating a hurried retreat.
-3 mounted, -53 men at arms, -331 rabble

After spending what feels like forever concocting a cunning plan, you suddenly secure several key points, establishing your dominion over the immediate area.

When you arrive, the crusaders are in full retreat, and grateful for your assistance - and though you lose some rabble skirmishing with the muslims, they are more than made up for by the men you gathered on the way.
+160 rabble

The retreat is well-led, and many men are saved - especially with the assistance of a northern Spaniard - but the ferocity of the attack still claims dozens of lives as they flee to the ships, even in spite of the covering fire from the catapults.
-101 men at arms, -282 rabble

With a supreme ferocity, your men lay into the retreating crusaders, cutting them down in droves as they flee to their ships and cast off into the sea.
-5 men at arms, -34 rabble

A handful of rabble become more professional soldiers, and errands for the locals bring in some small wealth.
+50 men at arms, -50 rabble
+3 [Chests of Wealth]

Allied Forces: [Fatimid Forces: 100 Mounted, 200 Men at Arms], [Zirid Forces: 200 Men at Arms]

Military: 50 mounted, 323 men at arms, 1038 rabble.
Allies:
+1 [Chest of Wealth]