Let's make a Wargaming system

i have an idea for how shooting works, i hope you guys have ideas for other things

>Shooting rules: the attacking player first rolls all shot dice for the weapon he is using, then removes all the one that are lower than the defenders dexterity value, the defending player then rolls all of his armor dice and removes a shot for each die over the enemies Armor piercing rating, the attacking player the rolls his Ranged skill dice for each shot that has not been removed, the resulting number is then removed from the defenders constition. (remember that a model with 0 constition is dead)

current model stats
Ranged skill (in dice), contitution, dexterity, armor (in dice).
current weapon stats:
Shots (in dice), Armor piercing rating.

Each armor has pen value and damage value
Body parts have damage multiplier/divider
And each player have damage multiplier/divider

IF pen > DR:
damage = (pen -DR) * weapondamage * bodypart multiplier * skinmultiplier

if pen

Bump

Hold on. What scale, genre and era is this? And why did you invent the most bloated, unnecessarily complicated shooting rules I've ever seen?

Genre: Fantastic WW2 where the guns are powered by magic and all the nations have different names.

>each shot involves three rolls, and like a billion stages

For what purpose?

To avoid having to memorize tables.

There are tons of systems that use only one or two rolls without using tables, or having that many steps. So that's not an excuse.

no set turns, no tape measures.

Are you serious, or are you figuring that we might as well go all out and make this system a trainwreck? Because I'd be up for it.

Serious. Call it a challenge.

We can give each model an initiative rating making the rounds more akin to might and magics combat, and a grid based system for movement.

I like the initiative idea. Can we have octagons instead of squares, doing it old school?

Too many rolls, keep it simple and abstract, seek variation on damage types, actions and cover/visibility instead

Cover gives bonus armor dice to the target.

This. Pardon my French, but this is like polishing a turd. We need a better foundation.

Battalion level urban warfare (now we have something we can divide up in a grid like fashion) each unit has a list of tactics it can use that allows it to do certain things or gives it bonuses to certain actions. All actions happen at the same time like in diplomacy.

If I have a company and I tell it to charge an area and my opponent has a company told to dig in I get better attack but they gets better defense.

Wait, so the reason we have the awkward shooting rule is to avoid tables, but then there's also lists of different actions and bonuses? This is very counterproductive.

>To avoid having to memorize tables.
Tables are needed to avoid complex formulas

Not necessarily. Pulp Alley is a good example of a system without complex formulas or tables. Shooting in Flames of War is fairly straightforward (it's assaulting that gets kinda awkward). There are plenty of others.

I am not saying you cant a system without tables and also without complex formulas

but tables are used to avoid complex formulas.
usually when you add some table, you are actually saying "i wont add this complex formula and instead will pregenerate the values and add to this table"

How about this for shooting rules of a skirmish level, infantry based game.

>Roll D8 to hit, roll must be over the opponent's dexterity value.
>D8 for type of hit. 1-4 Superficial Wound, 5-7 Major Wound, 8 Critical Hit.
>Superficial Wounds may be saved with an armor roll. Unsaved wounds are counted as Major Wounds.
>Major Wounds disable a model, roll at end of turn to see if it dies or stands up. Can't move but can perform other actions.
>Criticals are instant death.

Stats are Dexterity, Armor Value, Fortitude (for rolling after major wounds). Have each model activate individually in an I-go-you-go fashion. Each round ends after each model activates once. Have each model have a boatload of special actions for movement, shooting, support etc. Idk maybe magic fits in there too. Thoughts?

If the game is so complicated that a table is absolutely necessary for even basic actions like shooting, you've probably done something wrong.

It's still a bit awkward, but a whole lot better.

I'm not OP btw. Just passing through.

Didn't think you were OP, he would've made something worse.

The average movement speed is five hexes. The normal effective range for your average rifle is 10 hexes.

Roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save

Why not give them hp and dr instead ? Just have a single roll for hitting, and determine how good a hit from that roll

Agreed. I know Veeky Forums is used to Warhammer, but three rolls really isn't necessary.

>If the game is so complicated
It doenst need to be complicated to have tables

Anywthing that is not linear will require a table or a formula.

>Anywthing that is not linear will require a table or a formula.
Again, that's not true. Also, what exactly do you mean by linear?

Will there be lolis?

Idk, it feels like if you get shot you either die, get wounded, or get lucky and it bounces off of you. Like you don't just knock off a few boxes from your health.

Adding to the system, maybe each model has a mechanical base? Like each model has a number of actions to use each round, and you tick down the resource count on a mechanical base. I always thought it would be cool. Seems like a nice gimmick to build a game around.

Pretty sure whoever owns the right to heroclix, Mage Knight etc could sue you for that. Also ugh, gimmicks...