Super Hero General

GURPS, Hero System, Mutants and Masterminds and more

The place to discuss debate and analyze all things Super.

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

therobotsvoice.com/2013/06/the_10_best_superhero_role_playing_games.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How to stat Aku?

Good question.
He's obviously got shapeshifting powers, but a lot of what he can do seems more on the level of being a plot device more then anything else.

He may as well be cosmic-tier, considering his capabilities.

Sounds like a Variable Power Pool.

How well does Savage Worlds handle high power supers?

Never played it, sorry.
I hear good things about Savage Worlds in general though.

Reposting from last thread: I'm part of an M&M 3E game in which we swap GMs every so often when burnout kicks in or we reach the end of a story arc. We're looking for one or two more players, contact tommy.middleton8 on Skype if interested.

Can't be worse then GURPS.

Are you playing on skype?

When do you guys usually play?

What's everyone's thoughts on Heroes Unlimited?
I'm going to play a cross of Batman/Punisher with a dash of Lex Luthor, and despite being one of the only human characters, I'm somehow the tankiest/ hardest hitting guy on the team.

How does that even work?

That it's great for generating random characters, and nothing else.

Bumping with the best member of /shg/ team

Dude was a member of a billionaire family who lost his wife, son, brother-in-law, and Father during two superbeings major fight. His sister was also permanently crippled as a result, leaving only him and his niece unscathed.
He at that point decides that ANY superbeing, heroic or villainous, is too dangerous to be trusted, and trains to peak condition. The idea being that if he takes care of crime in his own city, then supers won't have any excuse to show up and wreck more shit.

Stat wise, I boosted him using the randomly generated 'Special Operative' template, which then let me access enough physical skill to become this fuck-mean tank. Plus I get a car, access to guns, grenades, and an organization that reimburses me for what I use.

The group I'm playing with all have wild characters ranging from alien snake-man to sentient robot that has a locomotive engine for a fist.

What do you guys think of the Valiant Universe RPG?

Any system that has a random character generator that can result in your super-strong brute thinking he needs to eat spinach to activate his strength is a-okay in my book.

DM question, how much should secret identity/personal life pop up in the game?

It should come up as a point once in a while. Maybe a coworker is begging them to cover their shift at work, but a crisis is trying to pull their attention away.

Am I the only one who thinks the /shg/ team is way too normal and perky?

Their perkiness of Doc and Baron makes them appealing to me but that's just my two cents.

Most members of the team are actually level-headed and quick on the draw. Baron Bizarre, Doc Chase, Blue Cobalt and PSInobi are all rather perceptive and aware of their surroundings. It's Trinity/Threesome that's the real loose cannon.

To be fair Baron has that alliteration thing going and Doc has his massive boner for new inventions/discoveries.

It's more about how they're sane and happy people with normal powers. I was expecting more weird from /shg/

So should we write up an actual setting or villains something for the /shg/ team?

We could randomly generate their rogues gallery or something?

My players are going to Murderworld.

What would be some good stuff to put in it?

Murder. Lots of Murder.

A jack-in-the-box.
That shoots knives.

Does anyone have a Mutants and Masterminds 3E editable pdf character sheet? Or am I just going to have to use excel sheets?

Nevermind, got good

Have the players know a likable character then murder the shit out of him.

Also "Welcome to Murderworld." is hopefully a given.

free retroclone of the old faserip system

Expect everyone to hate you by the end of it.

I appreciate what Heroes Unlimited tried to do, but balance is fucking impossible and I hate like... Making a crippled catboy with a metal lasso and the power to jump really high.

Sometimes the power generator gives you some interesting results, but more often you end up with shit that has exactly zero theme. And it's Pallladium.

Heard of it. Catalyst pushed it on my tumblr feed super hard for a while. Never played.

Do old school Murderworld. Monty Python references. Mirror halls that send out warped clones to fight the heroes. Roller coasters that turn into starfighters. Trapping characters in pinball machines. A tied up hero suspended over a dunk tank filled with piranha, but the robots cued up to dunk them are programmed to act like drunk rednecks.

>Trapping characters in pinball machines.
YOU NEED ONE MILLION POINTS TO ESCAPE WITH YOUR LIVES, HEROES

>Here's a perennial favorite! EXPLODING BUMPER CARS! Try not to drown, heroes!

Yeah, the tables are a bit too much of a crapshoot. It's fun to see what it'll turn out, but you're often better off just making something cogent by hand or rolling only for some things.

Arcade is such a hack, he's used the pinballs and bumper cars thing over and over again on like every single superhero he's ever caught.

I think that what a lot of people forget is that Arcade was, at the time of his introduction, legitimately the greatest assassin in the world. So much so that killing people was boring and that he had so much money that he really didn't even need to keep doing it.

He started building these multi-million dollar death parks that people had a chance of escaping because he was honestly that bored of killing people normally. And the only time he fucks up is when capes get involved.

What timeframe do you guys run in?

Hell, he was good enough for Doom to hire him and a Doombot to think that Doom might need him again.

Apparently it's the only time he gets involved at all, when he can capture a superhero and make a game out of it.

>lost his wife, son, brother-in-law, and Father during two superbeings major fight. His sister was also permanently crippled as a result
Wow. Did they crash his skyscraper penthouse while he&niece weren't in it or something?

>The group I'm playing with all have wild characters ranging from alien snake-man to sentient robot that has a locomotive engine for a fist.
Well the RP question is why is he working with what looks like a crowd of mavericks?

Baron a bestie.

>normal powers
That's a courtesy of using the M&M quickstart. It's not designed to get you something weird-ass, it's designed to get you guys that are easy to use.

Some of his earlier appearances had him still killing off normal people. He killed one guy via Monty Python foot drop when the dude couldn't tell a joke to save his life, and kidnapped (IIRC, unbeknownst to him) Captain Britain's ex-girlfriend and tried to finish her off before Excalibur got involved.

I loved Excalibur.
It was basically Doctor Who with Nightcrawler in it, which is like the best possible description of anything ever.
Actually, the one character BASED on The Doctor (who wasn't physically patterned off any specific one) looked WEIRDLY like David Tennant, same hair and everything.

Over a decade before Tennant became The Doctor mind you.

I'm gay as shit for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and am crazy fucking hype for the new generic edition they're doing.

Wait, Pete Wisdom was supposed to be based off of the Doctor?

I don't see it.

I've never played high level. But it kicks ass at street level and city level. I would guess it doesn't handle super high leveled supers very well though. For me personally, I like really rules light or narrative systems for games with high power level.

Fate, for example, instead of having a stupid high number for my godlike ultra powerful character, I prefer to just have an aspect that says "super fucking strong". In Savage Worlds I would imagine things would start to get silly or fall apart when everyone has at least 12+9 for all their stats. That's just me though.

Or are we talking Alasteir Stewart of the Weird Happenings Organization?

No, not Pete Wisdom.
A character during Chris Claremont's run on the title in the early 90's when it got started, I forget his name.

Pete Wisdom is Garth Ennis' self-insert.

>the new generic edition they're doing

Will it have character creation?

Probably, but MHRP had basically the same character creation outline as the old FASERIP game.

i.e. do it ya got damn self, fgt

I think you mean Warren Ellis.

Ugh, I need more sleep.

I'm always up for some random gen to pass the day.
Feed me some d20s?

Rolled 16 (1d20)

16 is a...
Classical supernatural monster.

Dang, they don't have much variety. But oh well, giveme some more of them dice.

Rolled 11 (1d20)

One of my favorite heroes I ever rolled was a Supernatural Creature.
Still have fond memories of how crazy awesome that entire campaign was.

And we have a vampire.
>6str, 5agi, 8fgt, 2awe, 2dex, 2int, 2pre
Gimme two d20s for skills and advantages

Rolled 19, 13 = 32 (2d20)

PLASSSSSMMMAAAA!

19 advantages: wilder
>animal empathy, great endurance, some favoured environment, tracking
13 skills: teen
>deception 8, expertise popculture 4, streetwise 4, perception 4, technology 4
So we have a guy from modern world, who nonetheless enjoys cutting loose from it

3d20 for powers

Rolled 10, 9, 18 = 37 (3d20)

been a while since I rolled dice on Veeky Forums, let's see if i fuck it up somehow

This was asked in one of the threads that spawned the general, but I thought it was interesting and deserves some more discussion:

What should you ask your players to figure out what sort of Supers game you should run?

This is a genre that covers virtually every other genre, after all. Power levels vary wildly, you have slapstick comedy and the grimmest darkness, punch-em-up comics and philosophical discourse, and everything else.

10: devilish speed
>close attack 4, improved initiative 2, quickness 2

>baseline vampire power: Regeneration 10, requires blood drinking
primary power: 9 for undead invulnerability
>immunity to fortitude effects (30), imprevious protection 8 (except against blessed or magical weapons)
utility power I: 18 for mist form
>insubstantial 2, flight 5 (60 mph)
aand I miscounted a bit, give me one more

I usually just ask them.
Even if they aren't familiar with the question they're not so dense that they don't understand the concepts involved.

Rolled 2 (1d20)

rollan

Just ask what they're interested in/what stories they want/ etc. Also seeing what characters they create/want to create can inform that sort of thing.

just ask them

use movies,shows, or cartoons as a way to get an idea

and the last bit is darkvision

So what we have here is a teen gone vampire. He is survivaly, quick and hard to catch.

So for the nemesis factor, he can be one of Trinity's schoolmates, who has taken fancy to her, but she's having none of it. Perhaps even the typical double life with her having a crush on the handsome guy in his secret identity, but she wants none of the crazed bitey monster she meets in her heroics.
While he is all "oh sweet, threesome for the price of one, gotta get it".

>What should you ask your players to figure out what sort of Supers game you should run?
I do not really do that.
I just run the medium-serious style I'm comfortable with and vet the characters to fit it.

Exactly what I was thinking as soon as we rolled teen

Also this, this works. If you're dealing with people who don't know capeshit at all, I'd do that.

Could someone link me an editable m&m 3e character sheet?

linked earlier in thread, should work

Thank you.

How about ?

It's more likely to be Roll20.
Group hasn't confirmed a time yet.

Are we doing any other villains?

Haven't ever done this before but I do have the quickstart/GM kit open for other reasons so, might as well.
Be the change you want to see and all that.

Give me a d20, user.

Rolled 5 (1d20)

Just gonna do this slowly so I don't fuck up.

5 gives us Energy Controller
another d20 for his/her abilities, user

Rolled 1, 2 = 3 (2d10)

No fuck your d20.

alright, getting this show back on the road maybe

3 gives us a Charismatic Energy Controller

>STR 0, STA 3, AGL 3, DEX 3, FGT 3, INT 0, AWE 2, PRE 3

4d20 for Advantages and Skills now

Rolled 18, 10, 1, 16 = 45 (4d20)

Oh, Veeky Forums ain't ded anymore?

Only dead on the inside, like all of us

Advantages!
>Intimidating
Daze (Intimidation), Startle
>Wisecracker
Fearless, Taunt

Interesting. So this Energy Controller is a smart-ass piece of shit who don't afraid of nothing.

Skills!
>Athlete
Acrobatics 4, Athletics 4
>Pilot/Driver
Technology 4, Vehicles 4

And, for the freebies that this archetype gets
>Ranged Combat: Energy Control 5
>Choose one: Deception 7 or Intimidation 7

1d20 for offensive powers now
and if we want to randomly determine the descriptors for this person's powers, I'll need another d20

Anyone want me to state up some weird powers or ideas for Wild Talents?

He thinks the world works like Twilight

therobotsvoice.com/2013/06/the_10_best_superhero_role_playing_games.php

Your thoughts, /shg/?

The TMNT RPG isn't that good. Hilariously, I think it's most famous for saying that a developed psychosis can turn you into a gay pedophile

You mean they don't?

Here's your reply.

Are there any good superhero roleplaying forums that anyone knows of?

Well, there's a fairly small roleplaying community on Dreamwidth, only about a hundred and fifty players. There's a few different games on there, some of them dedicated to superhero shenanigans.

SUPERBUMP!

Rolled 3, 11 = 14 (2d20)

That or you could pull the hallmark "villain is threatening someone who just so happens to be close to the hero."