WIP/painting thread

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.co.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

Heeeere's Johnny edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a0pGumGvczc
louisesugdenart.tumblr.com
golden-demon.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Don't want to finish the siege shield.

Terimies for my deathwatch band. Bases are for a space hulk so some guys are standing on walls.
Some moldlines still need removing and I'm waiting for the shoulder pads.

Iron hands for undecided cause why not?

maybe

Posted these at the tail end of the last thread. WIP status on my Thousand Sons.

I like the poses so far. Got to have one from the first legion in there too.

DA DW are gross because according to DW:OK they wear hoods while serving in the DW. That's just tacky as fuck. I never liked the robes when they were in their home chapter, but bringing it over to DW too?

It's like people who wear jackets over a hoodie, except a million times worse.

And my Tzaangor Chaos Cultists using 1992 weapon sprue auto pistols and las pistols. Gors without a gun in hand have a holstered one on their hip from the Khorne Berserker kit.

And finally (for now) the current state of my 3 Daemon Princes of Tzeentch.

some stuff needs to be done better
it's fine for now

Rock on, user!

Can anyone recommend a good set of brushes?

> Added some transfers to avoid doing the siege shield

make him a crimson or imperial fist fist

I was born in 1992 :^)

But really, those are damn good.

vindicators look better without the siege shield imo.

better put some purity seals on that cannon after it faces enemies

I'm not going to lie, I am not really sold on the multi-limb thing. If they were joined at the torso like a hindu god that'd be fine, but sprouting off randomly from the elbows is really ugly.

Why did bearshapedham delete her tumblr? You guys didn't bully her did you? Those horrors & general tzeentch things were the best I've seen in a long time

fukken saved. you're an inspiration.

Having a intensive seminar today, sitting at the uni all day. So i'm reposting my progress from last thread, here's my EvilCraft dude.

You know, his head really looks too small, given the sheer mass of his arms. It just looks off.

>You guys didn't bully her did you?
I don't think so. There was some joke when an user asked if she was "happy screamer user", with a bit of light innuendo on that, which seemed to be more on the user with the poorly phrased user rather than her. I hope that wasn't it. I really liked her work, made me wanna get Tzeentch stuff to make truly psychedelic colours.

Please come back.

Maybe she just grew up and realized what a drain social media is on your life and productivity. I cut everything but Veeky Forums out of my life about 2 years ago. Best decision I've ever made.

I am painting my first vehicle, after only painting infantery. Man this is some tedious shit, have to wash every rivet and cracks. takes goddamn forever

I hope you're using an oil or enamel based wash - way easier and quicker than an acrylic wash.

Life size bolter work

You should really make a template for the grip cut outs, they're a mess.

Posting again since I didn't get a response last thread (my own fault for leaving it until 450ish posts).

Considering dwarfs are about 90% beard, I want to make sure they are done right. What do you guys think of the beards I have here?

They are:
Zameri Desert, washed with Agrax Earthshade.
Steel Legion Drab, washed with Agrax Earthshade.
Dawnstone, washed with Nuln Oil. (I don't think I am going to do it this way again)
Troll Slayer Orange, washed with Reikland Fleshshade.
I also have another model which isn't pictured there, which is Eshin Grey, washed with Nuln Oil, then after I brightened it back up, I highlighted it with Dawnstone, since it looked to dark without.

For white beards, I have one basecoated Ulthuan Grey, but I am not sure what colour to wash it with. I know that Agrax Earthshade or Seaphim Sepia applied carefully works well on clothing and armour, but will it look good on hair, or would Nuln Oil come out looking better?

What are you talking about, you had like 6 responses.

I thought slayers dyed their hair red, looks a bit odd to see that shade on an ironbreaker.

first attempt at marble effect. did a base coat of dark grey with a bit of green. then did the lines with thinned white paint and added random areas with dark green wash. then i sealed it all with coats of a white wash to melt everything together. Any tips on how i could improve it further?

And general tips on how to make sharp lines when highlighting the aircrafts edges?

Small synthetic brush, keep it at a 45 degree angle and use very very small amounts of paint. Moisten the brush a little but don't thin the paint to the point where it's runny.

As poster of the innuendo I would feel bad if that scared her off, but as the Instagram is the same as it's always been I don't think we've seen the last of those beautiful daemons.

So i use the tip of the brush to run along the edge?

I figured that just because slayer dye their hair red, it doesn't mean there can't be natural red heads.
I think as long as I don't start doing regular Dwarfs with mohawk, I am fine.

There doesn't seem to be a prevailing direction for the flaws in the marble, although after the last guy's LONG journey with marble effects I think you should post your reference whenever you ask about marble.

The marble flaws are also quite smooth on the edges, whereas blurred or feathered edges often looks better.

The side of the tip

You can use the flat of the brush on the edge. Not everything is about the tip.

Check out almost any Duncan video, he shows that technique a lot (off the top of my head it's in the Chaos Warrior tutorial)

I just went back and checked I can only see one. So, I mean this in the most un-cuntish way I can, but what are YOU talking about?

I remember that thread. I dont think i had a specific reference besides something alike the pattern on the dark talon on the GW store site. i can imagine i need more small, secondary lines of anything. should i do anythign to enhance the edges of the marble?

Thanks. ive done something similar. Will check the video for some detailed guiding. This model is kinda the most complex(and expensive ) ive worked on so far so i want it to look good

Look up Warhammer TV Marbel Effect Advent Calander.

Should find what you're looking for there.

Would link to it but I'm posting on the pot.

youtube.com/watch?v=a0pGumGvczc

unless you legitimately asked a question/advice, fishing for replies (like that death guard dude) is a bit of a dick act. most of the time when people post shit here I scroll past and think, "hey that looks cool" but the only thing commenting that adds is replies. loads of people are looking at your shit man, it's ok. the dwarves are cool.

That looks entirely doable. thank you.

>like that death guard dude
>perfectly nice miniatures
>So many reposts that I now hate him on principle

>For white beards, I have one basecoated Ulthuan Grey, but I am not sure what colour to wash it with. I know that Agrax Earthshade or Seaphim Sepia applied carefully works well on clothing and armour, but will it look good on hair, or would Nuln Oil come out looking better?

Is that not a legitimate enough question? I honestly have no idea how to do white in this particular circumstance.

Last time I also asked for general tips as well as about how to do the white, but I figured if people had any they would say them anyway.

I forgot to mention my main worry is because on armour or clothing, the shading is normally there to represent shadow, or darker areas in general, but in hair it is less of a shadow more of a depth look (if you get what I mean), which is why I am stumped on how to do it.

Pretty nice. You could use a pepakura files to print out a design so yo dont need to wing the dimensions and would get more uniform cuts. I need stil lto finish this one

i love the "inside a space hulk" bases, but they need more chapter-specific bling (except the black templar who looks good)

pic related

Dilute some Nuln quite a bit with medium and apply it a little at a time, focusing towards the parts of the beard where it's thickest / densest (braids, the area just below the chin).

You can then decide if the effect is too subtle and add more if you think it needs it.

Wouldn't shade it with a brown as actual white hair is quite a cool white, and Ulthuan doesn't have much brown in it anyway.

Bolters look so clumsy and unrealistic irl.

Ehi user, I need some advice. How did you bent the plastic tubes, with an hairdryer? Did you use any tools?

The URL just changed to something more professional. No worries.

louisesugdenart.tumblr.com

Its more a problem with my cutting tools since I do have a template printed. Without a jigsaw some cuts just won't look any better, as a utility knife only goes so far

Can anyone recommend a good way to cover up glue joints when spray priming and base coating model sub-assemblies? I'm getting tired of scraping paint off already and I'm not even close to finishing everything.

First I considered tape, but it would be a lot of slicing and placing tape in tiny places.

Now I'm thinking of brushing on plasti dip where I dont want paint, and peeling it off after I've done all the spraying.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, didnt meant to quote you

Poster tack / blu-tack.

That may work, but it could be as difficult as painting.

I also have quite a lot to cover. I'm spraying the sub assemblies on my necron ghost ark, and there's a lot of places I dont want to cover.

It's not nice to spread misinformation to newbies, user.

>painting.
taping

Painting something on would be ideal, which is why I was thinking plasti dip

What you use for the bases user it's tight shit

Make him pic related.

Dude I think it's pretty great as is. The grey with green effect works very well and your 'veins' look good too.
Very well done

Currently working on converting a suitably imposing new leader for my SoBH chaos warband. After loosing all but a single game in our latest campaign, I figured that the dark gods propably wouldn't be too pleased with my old leader.
I now include a spawn with his name in my warband every game.

do you have any suggestions about the head? pinhead is a known mutation LoL

that is not an innuendo at all. that is called reading way too much into something.

Just with my hands, I bent them before cutting off the desired length so it was easy

that seems useful.

Look up salt baths for bending plastic.

>Lightning claw tabard that will spark the floor and chafe the groin
It sounds good in the head, but I personally don't jive with that.

Done.

how did you do the white?

And let me be clear, salt baths, not bath salts.

It was supposed to be a bone-skirt, like some kind of tribal maori or hawaaian thing. but i kind of half-arsed it with the lighning claw, and never got back to it.

I like the blades as is. Imagine that guy teabagging people or jumping off a ledge on top of them. Groin death.

Beautiful

Why is that warhammer pink?

GW put up a new website to see GD winners. Said they'll upload previous winners soon.

Not much, but I love seeing that they at least try to show like they care
golden-demon.com/

Beautiful x2.

They realized they're fucked if they don't pick their shit up so they've been trying to actually be more friendly with their customers. It's refreshing but we'll see for how long.

Some sweet progress made last night

I expect them to ditch the proper business strategy as soon as a major competitor collapses. Literally the day after they will go back to hating the world and your wallet.

This. Cautiously optimist. Another issue sorta related can be seen in their stance towards modding their vidya. Big no no before, and now they encourage it.

Oh, that can be true indeed. Who would you consider a big competitor? It might be years before that happens, since a major competitor is unlikely to collapse, being an actual competitor.

They've even made a deal with Valve to import WH Fantasy themed cosmetics into Dota2.

Some dwarfs have natural red hair. The mohawk is also a slayer style. If he had a mohawk too, I'd be saying something.

It's hard to say because like you mention it might be years before anything changes in the industry. But say if warmachine died, not even the whole company just that game, I think GW would go straight back to fucking you over at every opportunity. It's just how they do.

user who did the marble journey last week

now I go this way:
>celestia/ulthuan grey
>start spongin/dibbling/drybrushing with grey stains, from lighter to darker leaving some white spots
>start making lines, very thinned, from lighter (big line) to darker (small line), giving the impression of depth and imperfection of marble
>very thinned gloss varnish to finish it

Maybe. The shade of red on that model doesn't look like a natural ginger though, it looks the colour of slayer hair to me.

Haven't used metal is fucking ages so only have plastic glue. Now I've suddenly got some metal heads.

Is Citadel thin plastic glue up for the task or is it gonna be dog shit and fall apart?

>Is Citadel thin plastic glue up for the task or is it gonna be dog shit and fall apart?

Plastic glue will not work at all on metal models. It works by fusing the two plastic pieces together, melting them ever so slightly. If one of the pieces is metal, then this whole scheme... comes unglued!

basecoat 1:1 Astronomican grey + white
shadows Astronomican
highlights white

Nothing fancy there really.

Anyway, that pic is not really good because it doesn't show the different layers, it's hard to take pics of it. Here is a pic of a single dude that better captures the white parts. Disregard the green in this pic, had to redo it to match the platform.

I imagined you like this. And the last part with "... comes unglued!" felt like you were finally showing the genius of your plan to destroy the world with lighting strikes behind the character and all that shit. It felt like childhood ptsd..

working on a razorwing, i feel unsure about these highlights

what do you think guys?

thank you. do you have any pics of your latest attempts? gonna field it tomorrow against Imperial Guard and orks

Yeah they're a tad too thick. The airbush job is great though, I normally hate the typical airbrushed look but you did it well.

>missed like 8 gems on the weapons platform

ALKJFKDFKJADLKJFLKJADKFJSKLJA TRIGGERED

Do one in a different color, like it's low on energy or something. Maybe blue.

Gotta use the side of the tip at a 45 degree angle with very little paint on it for those edge highlights. Can't use the tip or paint will go everywhere.

You can easily salvage this highlight by making it thinner with the original colors though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I think im gonna use some incubi darkness to narrow all those highlights down quite a bit. Hopefully once the rest of the model is done they wont look quite so obvious.

Not all those bumps are required to be gems.

And I'd rather not cause a gem overload that I see sometimes in eldar models which looks ridiculous.