EDH/Commander General

Politics edition

>RESOURCES

mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-voltron-fun-times/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-aint-saying-she-is-a-gravedigger/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/all-smiles-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-03-16-spirit-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-rakdos-test/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-anarchy-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=PPskYVBqdNw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0uCwDSLlW0
youtube.com/watch?v=wpSunpfXoCg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which one do I play this weekend?

Mazirek can be fun, if you have much sacrifice effects in the deck or play group. Bonus points for having persist creatures with him

Vorel of the hull clade is also like a second Gilder Bairn, and easier to use. A lot of the original simic cards can let you give varying abilities to creature until end of turn, many of which are pretty good

Zada

Nath or Zada

Jungle animals.

I think Mazirek can fit in no problem, especially since I can stack the sac effects with a dictate of erobos or sifter of skulls or something. I think I really want to make a green black deck because blue isn't adding a heck, but mimeoplasm is just so sexy.

How do you feel about targeted hand discard versus mill as support for graveyard-based jankiness.

Yay for edits and progress. Replaced Marchesa with Thraximundar/Nekusar. I never really ended up using Marchesa in the end. Still waiting on Eldritch Moon to drop so we'll see it we get any interesting yields for sure.

Post you dicks!

Zada or Nath for sure

what is it about combo decks that make them unfun?

sometimes my combo decks are fun to play and other times it feels like a drag to resolve the steps

i think when the combo is too easy to assemble, like when i have way more resources than i need, i just want my opponents to scoop, whereas when its a close thing and i lose if i dont combo off this turn, it feels like a puzzle that i must solve with creativity

I think the more combos that are in a deck the more fun it is, if you end up tutoring your entire deck to just get 3 or 4 cards to pull off a game winning combo that's not very fun.

I find combos disagreeable because most of them end the game in one turn. The same is true even if the "combo" is, play a dude, give him haste and make him big.

That rules actually gets rid of a lot of things I don't care about EDH. No one big turn.

Not that aggressive lock down is fun either. But for me, fun is when there is a lot of back and forth. That means people need to be able to answer it and the easiest way to ensure that is by giving them multiple turns.

The same reason why I "spread the love".

Out of the two reanimater decks I play, Gisa, Mazirek, and soon an Alesha, I tend to sac and re-sac, but blue does open a lot of self mill.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-voltron-fun-times/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-aint-saying-she-is-a-gravedigger/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/all-smiles-3/

I also had a Momir Vig deck, but I dismantled it for being too boring/winning on turn 5 constantly

That's why I don't play him, too easy to break. Just have ramp, deadeye navigator and peregrine Drake/palincron, some clones, some draw, probably a Hydra broodmother, and coridant crossroads.

Combos essentially make what has happened the entire game irrelevant, since they are supposed to go off regardless of board state and win immediately.

Last turn consisted of a crazy spellslinging war that changed the entire board state?

Doesn't matter since Chad has a two card combo in his hand and was gong to win regardless.

Looks like Zada wins by a small margin

>"I only follow what it says on the card."
Boy, do I have a card for you to use against this kind of person.

Has to be an Ice Age one, though. That's important.

Why does the Ice Age printing make a difference? Mandatory creature sac/no sacrifice on Hecatomb?

The 5th and 6th edition versions of Hecatomb have the tapping of a swamp as the cost instead of part of the ability.

see it hasnt been my experience that 2-card combos are very effective

only the ones that require very inexpensive pieces are strong, because otherwise they are spending 8-10 mana in one turn to combo off and at that point you cant really claim that the earlier parts of the game were irrelevant, how did they get to 8-10 mana? that part of the game was relevant

whereas most combos i see actually work are not 2-piece combos but rather 3-6 piece combos but with many interchangeable parts, thats the key.

and lots of these combos require a board presence to go off and you can predict when they are going to go off based on their scary board position

for instance if an elf player has skullclamp and elvish archdruid in play, im going to assume that we need to do something about his board before next turn or we lose

to clarify about the skullclamp archdruid situation

the elf player needs multiple other cards to actually go off but many different cards will do the trick so we have to assume that those cards are on the way, either in his hand already or easy to find by digging

Forgive my ignorance, but why would that make a difference?

Geist deccklist? I'm interested in what spirits you're using to control.

Largely the ones from Kamigawa, some of the original Innistrad black spirits, and some of the new Innistrad Ghosts gave some fun things to do too.

Looking forward to Eldritch Moon too.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-03-16-spirit-tribal/

Spirit of en-Dal has really fucked people up due to her Forecast

Ice age wording under current rules could target a tapped swamp. You can even activate said ability 70 billion times in response to the ETB sac trigger. It's infinite damage at 1BB sorcery speed, no restrictions.

I don't know why I typed black spirits but ok.

well the card's INTENDED functionality hasnt changed but, rules changes implemented after the original printing have made it such that only what is left of the colon, the cost, of the activated ability is required for it to be put on the stack, and the part on the right will do "as much as it can"

after they made that rule, they fixed all these old cards with activated abiltiies that werent worded so clearly

so the old wording is incompatible with the new rules, giving you the ability to activate it as much as you want even if you dont have swamps to tap, because thats just part of the effect and if it cant do that part, then it will simply do the rest of the ability

the oracle text of course does not allow this but for retards who use some sort of "play the cards as written" rule, this card could be an autistic way of rubbing it in the faces of those retards

You need all legal targets for it to be put on the stack. So you have to have at least one swamp, tapped or otherwise.

Why do these people exist?

Hang on, let me give all my goblins flying for R.

Someone post the one that expects the card itself to make a decision. I think it's a plant creature?

Ahh, Floral Spuzzem, the first, last, and only card ever printed that has free will

>don't have a copy of browbeat on you?
>take five damage, I draw three cards

I love it. The creators and artist must have been on some hellacious drugs when they slapped together this beauty. Everything about this card is a trip.

Greatest card ever

>tfw got foil It That Betrays for my casual lovecraft deck

So what do you guys think about making a group for finding other fa/tg/uys to play with on cockatrice?

>I don't know how commas work
I know it's a joke but jeez

I think that it ends up as shitfests, as Veeky Forums is bad at Magic and don't fucking know the rules anyway.

I play on xmage

Pretty sure there'd need to be a comma before "deal 5 damage" for it to ever read like that.

whew

just swung for 3405 damage and there were no tokens involved !!

felt gooooood

couldve swung for like 1200 the turn previous but i wanted to let my opponents stew while they tried to figure out what they could do about Iona naming blue, gaddock teeg, elesh norn, avacyn, linvala, vorinclex, eight-and-a-half-tails, sigarda, dragonlord dromoka

one of them tried to toxic deluge so i flashed in craterhoof using yeva, then on my turn i bounced craterhoof and played him twice

Well aren't you just a little bad ass

Epic, simply epic.

>replying to craterhoof poster, ever

bet you never swung for 3405 without tokens!

im the best

We're all shitposters here, user.

oh i forgot to mention my lifetotal at the end of the game was over 1000

now where is my crown

Here you go user.

Shitfests can be fun

Working on Sek'Kuar ETB/birthing pod/recursion good stuff kind of deck, scaling back the goodstuff for more flavor now.

You think that, until you get into a 15 minute Magic argument with someone who doesn't understand how commas work.

can you post rakdos deck my man?

Wanna try building a commander deck for the first time.

If you had to choose between Terastodon or Hamletback Goliath, which would you choose?

nasty terasty

Terastodon.

Terastodon is much better

Sure, Its a $50 budget deck, but its pretty fun. My main goal is to defile someone every game, not necessarily win every game.

I think the removal on Terastodon is more useful. In RG you have plenty of heavy hitters anyway. You don't need another huge dumb guy in Hamletback. Terastodon is enormous itself.

Forgot the deck, haha

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-rakdos-test/

I appreciate it, just getting some ideas for what I want to build

No Problem. Remember that double-strike will defile on opponent twice, not everyone remembers that.

Oh....oh fuck...got a little chub there...

>Playing yesterday
>stuck on 4 lands all game
>Lazav player has Mesmeric Orb out
>Milling myself a bunch because Mizzix Mastery in hand
>Draw fifth land
>cast Mana Gesyer
>go from an empty board to enough hasted/buffed tokens to kill everyone else

Zada a best

BEST

Here is mine, I have a slimmed down version at the moment. I tend to die, but GODDAMNIT I go down in glory!
For added fun, equip him with an Assault Suit and force him to attack! Your opponents will defile themselves!

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-anarchy-1/

Thanks for posting your Rakdos deck, hope mine turns out great

Great, thanks for the advice!

Holy Shit, I didn't even consider Assault Suit. Thanks user!

Post matches made in heaven! If it's just a two card infinite combo try to make it one we haven't seen before

I'll start:

Geist of St Traft + Steel of the Godhead

>MM15 dismember is $3.49
Holy frickin' frack, I have like 5 of those suckers.

vulterous zombie + traumatize

Whitemane lion + equilibrium

Wow you're rollin in dough right now

Eye of the Storm, Knowledge Exploitation.

Accidentally stumbled into that one with my Jori En list. Fortunately, very finite combo.

Wow that sounds hella fun

Is that not "infinite" though?

Don't you get to cast every instant or sorcery in every opponents deck?

Yep, use that combo in my Geist deck.

If I can pull it off early enough it's a quick game

Every single one of you want, a buttload of times.

But hey, their deck isn't infinitely big. Even if they run Beacon of Tomorrows, shit's exiled, only a copy gets cast.

Anyway, I'm really not a combo person, but here's another synergistic interaction, Cloven Casting lets you easily copy multicolored spells, but in the case of copying Beck // Call, you get 12 cards from the original card and the copy, because you got two becks going by the time the bird half of the original resolves.

Here is another simple one, Vengeful Pharaoh pairs well with any dredge spell, because it allows you to keep Vengeful from going back to your hand, where he is relatively useless.

I came here to tell you that you are a pretty cool guy user.
Is 31 land enough for this deck? I get you have a lot of land destruction but I feel you are missing land drops constantly.

>3405 damage

Cute.

I'll be on when I get home in like 45min.
We got a channel or name or something?

Strange how much more popular this combo is than Mephidross, given that this one folds to grave hate and the other doesn't.

Mephidross can't smoke the whole table.

Oh right, creatures. Durr.

>Kool-Aid Man
>not red, or maybe artifact creature
No sir, I don't like it.

To be fair, it is from Legends so they were still figuring shit out

Post tunes that fit your commander's theme

youtube.com/watch?v=PPskYVBqdNw

Other anons try to guess your commander

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0uCwDSLlW0

Can't guess because driving.

>driving
>can make a post
>but can't guess
literally drive into a ditch and die

?

Azusa?

I have poor taste, so sue me.
But it fits.

youtube.com/watch?v=wpSunpfXoCg

>makes an autistic post
>expects competent people to take part in autistic posting

Also, the idea of someone playing godfather while playing gwafa was posted last thread, way to be original, faggot.

Nice work

Haha, good point. I should've opened the link, I just assumed it had lyrics and shit that I would have to pay attention to.

Close, actually. Same mana cost, same block.

Hey man take it easy on him, I was the OG music autist

>thinking you can correctly identify different anons
lmao 2shitty

>implying that changes the fact of the matter
lmao learn2argue

The fact of what matter, nigga? Holy shit, you're more retarded than the user that's driving and posting on Veeky Forums.

By Legends they mostly had their shit together. Like, not 'balance' (that didn't smooth out until Alliances/Mirage. Well, as much as it ever would) but we had a tap symbol. we had cost : Effect syntax. Artifact supertypes were gone. None of it was perfect (again, real standardization waited for "5th edition" rules), but Spuzzem is a little late for the goofy alpha wordings.

Love it anyway.

My last guess is Dosan?

I see you don't understand basic English either, makes complete sense now.

reki

Reki, yeah.

Mana cost, not CMC, but close.

>lmao i so smart, i argue real good,
You sure showed me, user.