>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

So you're running a Wizardly cabal, with the understanding that members will assist in teaching each others' apprentices a solid foundation in the fundamentals of the craft. What spells would be included in the typical curriculum up to and including, say, 3rd level spells? Bear in mind that the cabal isn't necessarily interested in blowing everything up.

Other urls found in this thread:

coveragemail.com/technology/fan-creates-printable-3d-models-for-dungeons-dragons-miniatures/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so some guy made a bunch of 3d print models for minis and put them up on blender

coveragemail.com/technology/fan-creates-printable-3d-models-for-dungeons-dragons-miniatures/

The official meme of this thread is:
dragonborn are a meme race

All of the basic utilities: mage hand, prestidigitation, mend
A couple of simple offensive spells: fire bolt, magic missile
Some countermeasures to the above: shield, mage armour

Apart from that, probably depends on the exact school (fnar fnar) of magic being learned but most likely the basic spells from each.

They don't look too bad, but a lot of people like to use their imagination instead.

Hmm. The problem with the "basic utilities" list is that you only get so many cantrips. Your selection of other spells suggests that the cabal wants to train its members in combat effectiveness, but leaving no room for bottomless basic offense.

I'd lean towards the following as "everybody is encouraged to learn these and the spells are made freely/cheaply available to members":

0: Prestidigitation (wiggle room for other personal preferences)
1: Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Illusory Script
2: Continual Flame, Nystul's Magic Aura
3: Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Magic Circle

The idea here being that it's an array of potentially-commercially-useful spells (stuff you could make a living casting for pay) that wouldn't directly lend itself to building a reputation for the cabal as a bunch of dangerous pyromaniacs. Reasonably-useful combat spells would probably be available, but more along the lines of an extracurricular specialization for adventuring members.

How do you deal with genre savvy players?

Expect them to not be metagaming shits.

>DM says I have to speak in riddles or rhymes if I decide to make a Bard
i may not play the flute or the bass
but i will break my foot up your ass

>bass
>ass
You do realize the instrument is pronounced base, right? Or are you saying you don't play a fish?
Either way, that's some shenanigans your DM is pulling.

I enjoy their company,

Subvert the genre.

What would the best way to make a wizard based off of Frank Reynolds be?

Give him a toe knife as a melee weapon, plenty of enchantment/illusion spells, and have wealth and hedonism be the soul focus for the character.

When he gets serious don't forget to bust out... THE WARTHOG.

UA WHEN

My players are about to head into the final epic confrontation. I want to give them some powerup/bonus to make them stronger than they were in the previous fight but I don't want to have them level up.

Any thoughts, friendos?

First time I played a bard, the DM let me upgrade my bardic inspiration die if I made up a rhyme to go with it

Why is so hard to make a hero in this games? we try to be heroic, for our actions to match our words and we end looking like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Next time I'll roll an average Joe who talks in monosyllables and maybes.

What level are they?

The DMG has some power-ups that aren't tied to level called supernatural gifts.

Level 14. The main reason I don't want to give them another level is that they're all multiclassed 11/3, and levels 12 and 4 are usually underwhelming.
I'll check out the supernatural gifts (thanks!), but let me know if you have any other ideas.

>rewarding role playing instead of just letting the numbers decide.

Does your DM reward the barbarian in game for moving his fridge out of it?

Fade-to-black time skipping.

I asked this in a previous thread but it went 404 before I could read the replies.

If I want to roll a stoneforge mystic in 5e what should I roll?, Kor race of course.

Small lies don't work. They're able to identify that the voice in their head is someone magically messing with them regardless of what I open with, and they're free to ignore it. If the voice becomes sufficiently annoying they'll know to get a Remove Curse and just do that. That's how my DM runs it.

That's why the only use I can think of for it is basically being a one way walkie-talkie with one of my team mates, which is pretty underwhelming for a 14th level feature.

Nothing really fits, maybe artificer wizard, but you'll suck at your job and it wont be really a stoneforge mystic who also are supposed to be badass in combat

I use it to mess with people and distract them, stuff like saying penis penis penis multiple times while hiden in the crowd when the bbeg is saying his speed, you know, stuff that makes people unconfortable, like telling a joke in an inopportune moment
>Two guards talking
>"Dude, my dad died"
>*tell joke so the other guard laughs*
>Fight between both start

Walkie talkie is the most obvious use but if your GM is cool and you're imaginative you can do a lot of stuff

Either continue as normal, or metagame harder than them.

Not the dude you are replying to, but you are talking about GOO warlock level 14 ability right?
That ability charms whomever you cast it on, giving you advantage on all social rolls with the target, as well as the target being unable to target or attack you. Also, they consider you a dear friend, if I remember right. Combined with your Warlocks probably MASSIVE Charisma modifier, you should be able to talk them into almost damn near anything that isn't outright lethal. If you GM is basically saying he is ignoring you, that is bullshit, because to the target you are practically the voice of his magical fairy godmother angel god speaking to him, or the friendliest wizard ever! That ability is literally cuckoo mind control horror movie tier.

chat with your DM about it and ask him for some kind of compromise so your ability isn't useless. Awakened Mind and other features like Charm Person are always vague enough that the DM has a lot of leeway.

Blade pact warlock. Draw whatever weapon you need out of the stone.

The odds that I'd have that particular guard "enthralled" are pretty low though, aren't they?

>47120227
>Also, they consider you a dear friend, if I remember right.
They don't, that's part of the problem. It's not like Charm Person where they are charmed and while charmed, regard you as a friend. It's just charmed. So as soon as they hear a strange voice in their head that they have no reason to trust they know there's a problem.

I'll talk to him about it again next time I see him, but last time we talked about this particular ability his stance was that it was extremely limited by design. He's said more than once that he believes the charmed condition is useless but he's not interested in changing it.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the 3rd level feature of GOOs. Silly me, disregard my post.

>Shitty kits that no one would play in unearthed arcanas for 4 months
Then
>No new content for 2 months

All of a sudden, vampires, goblins, kor, merfolk, new elf variants for fuck knows what reason, and some new monsters too.

So much of the funding goes to MTG that even when the MTG guys get drunk and play DND in their spare time, more content comes out than from the DND team.

Fuck sake, Wizards.

>They don't, that's part of the problem. It's not like Charm Person where they are charmed and while charmed, regard you as a friend. It's just charmed. So as soon as they hear a strange voice in their head that they have no reason to trust they know there's a problem.

I see, but still, it should be a very seductive/alluring voice. Advantage on all social checks is a powerful thing, and it isn't like they can plug their ears or something. Hell considering you hostile while being charmed by you is ridiculous.

Thoughts on multi-phase boss fights? I used one in our final session and I think the players only survived because they shut down the first phase entirely.

Your DM is definitely playing it wrong IMO.

Anyways: find a religious man. Make him your thrall. Pretend to be God. That solves the friendship issue.

Can be fun if you set it up well.

It's kind of shit if you just have a determined progression of stages determined by hitpoint loss though.

Because then it's really just fighting 4 shit bosses without a rest between.

I agree with Ran one myself a bit back, a possessed necromancer. As soon as they disturbed the ritual the necromancer was running, the spirit appeared, a ghost, and it summoned shadows to attack. It went well, but do to some low rolls it could have very easily gone TPK, since I dragged the fight out too long. Still, my group loved it, and the suspense made it all the better that they won. In the future I need to be a lot more careful with them though IMO

I'm not a fan of most of them. Don't do silly things like power levels. Make the different phases make sense.

Say the boss uses a force field. The players do enough damage to break it, so he changes his tactics to be more hit and run, and starts hiding in the environment. That's okay.

Don't be the guy who does anime power up bullshit. Bleach is bad mmkay?

It was basically a bloke trying to bend nature to his will. Killing (the bit the players kinda cheesed) him caused his body to mutate into some horrific plant/animal hybrid thingy. This fucked shit up. After taking down this the parts of the remains containing his mangled body rose up and attacked, spewing bugs everywhere. It was basically what as bad :/

The players seemed to enjoy it though so that's all good I guess.

I am now building a keep, what would be some gnarly and radical things to put in there?

if they enjoyed it, great! Don't let my disparaging remarks get in the way of your game.

To lay my cards on the table, the last time I had used a similar scenario was early on in 4th edition d&D when the monsters had massively inflated hp.

It let to a slow, bloated fight that while in narrative terms did a lot, and was memeroable, it was more memorable as "Holy shit why won't it just die" rather than "WOW! I hope this happens with another boss!".

Obviously your mileage may vary.

A harem, a great library, a personal smith, a wizard's laboratory, a shrine to whatever gods you follow, some pets, a wife and children .

It probably helped that I am shit at balancing and accidentally gave them some OP shit.
Though two bursts of 4d10 all around evened that out a bit.

They then spent a good few minutes fucking with reality and flailing about in the dark, spewing water everywhere and trying to kill each other.

A ping-pong table would be nice.

A torture chamber, booze, slaves and skeletons.

You really need to get a grip, friend. Your expectations are out of touch with reality. This is not 4e or 3.5 or pathfinder. 5e has a quite slow release schedule. Unearthed arcana is just a little side thing. A little extra. It's not D&D Insider, it's not Dragon magazine, it's not a pathfinder subscription. It's just a mixture of homebrew and playtest materials they release when it's convenient. You need to just accept that this is how it works now, and stop getting all bent out of shape over it. You're just needlessly upsetting yourself otherwise.

If you don't have a Teleportation Circle somewhere in your keep, you've failed as an adventurer.

A kitchen would be great as well, along with an alchemist.

There's no point releasing a new edition if you don't plan to release content for it.

So much is missing from the current rules, why is the release schedule so damn glacial?

I second a ping-pong table... maybe one of those folding ones so you can play by yourself

Decent crafting rules when?
Decent spell making rules when?
Decent fighting style development rules when?
Decent ranger beast master patch when?
Decent weeaboo fightan magic when?

Psionics when?
Monster Manual 2 when?
Named spells when?

What is this you speak of friend?

Plane shift zendikar.

It's mostly just reskinned shit, but it's still alright. The vamps are fun.

Decent wot4e monk when?
Decent bladelock fix when?

Thanks man, hopefully it's not full of ridiculousness, or atleast BAD ridiculousness

No, it's pretty decent. adds goblins, merfolk, vampires, and a mtg race called the kor.

Pretty good, really.

>The vamps are fun
>He has a GM that doesn't go full RAW
Lucky you.

I'm 3 sessions in and my AT vampire still didn't make one null. All by myself is literally impossible, and the group are all neutral/good, so casting spare the dying so I bite them again constantly is a nono for them.

It looks like they gave Kor way too many racial features, other races with that many features (eg Dorfs) have atleast one drawback (25 speed).

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here.

Hire Tucker's Kobolds as guards.

No, they are pretty overpowered

Whoever was writing them underestimated the value of skill proficiencies

Not exactly. I am the Dm. I just have more fun when my players are enjoying their characters.

Hey, new DM here.

I've read everything and I'm ready to go, so I'm not asking for a tutorial. But I'm a little confused about radiant damage, I thought (naturally assumed I guess) undead types were supposed to be vulnerable to it. Whats up with that? What is vulnerable to radiant?

Atleast vampires and Merfolk look cool

>Whoever was writing them underestimated the value of skill proficiencies
Merfolk also go 2 skill proficiencies, so Goblins.

The only ones that got zero were vamps and humans.

I regularly homebrew up bosses, and they always have multiple phases either hard-coded into their profile or soft coded into the environment. I think it makes encounters memorable, but more importantly, worthwhile. I don't see the entertainment value in fighting wolves in the forest, neither from the players' end nor the DMs end. So far my campaign has the occasional skirmish, and a boss fight every second or third session. Skirmishes to boss fights are at about a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. A skirmish being an initiativeless back and forth basically, and a boss fight being a tried and true fight utilizing all the hard rulings. Boss fights aren't limited to just conventional bosses, just well thought out fights in general with specific mechanics and flavour. For example, a large scale fight with X goblins could be a boss fight as long as there's a coherent theme and some unique abilities and mechanics thrown in there to keep players on their toes.

The philosophy behind it is:
Create a fight that has a problem beyond "whack him"
Let the players figure it out. It should be apparent enough that it is figured out and exploited within about 2-3 rounds.
Let them exploit this weakness for a bit.
Shift the goalposts and telegraph it, and make them re-learn the fight.

Basically I'm running WoW or dark souls level bosses but adapted for the tabletop format, which means they need to be easy to learn, but not overly obvious, because there are no do-overs, and the mechanics need to be unique, not rely on repeated use.

The only low level monster I can think of is the 'shadow'.

Yeah, lots of monsters don't have their old standard resistances either, (undead in general don't resist necrotic etc). I assume it's to not limit players that 'specialize' their damage.

I'd say an Eldritch Knight fighter. Should be a good way to pick of some rocky effects while being able to still fight effectively.

Vampires don't look like zendikar vampires though. And their Bloodthirst feature is a real headache.

From what I understand, radiant damage is good not for what is vulnerable to it, but how few things are resistant to it

Stoneforges are artificers...but artificer in 5e sucks and is a full wizard.

Ok. How badly will I break the game if I make undead vulnerable to radiant, because it just seems like they should be (and because I'd just assumed this, I already told the paladin who is hype about smiting some shit)

Just add a few more undead onto the encounters for balance I suppose?

It's int a headache if your dm enforces raw and not the fairly obvious RAI.

Paladin already deals extra damage on smites against undeads.

So with Repelling Blast, does each 'beam' of EB knock the target 10 feet?

Bladesinger wizard maybe? Its the only classical can think of with a lot of stone-shaping effects, and Bladesinger is the only type of wizard that would remotely work in close combat.

Luckily for me I was looking for races to integrate into the core/unearthed arcana race.

Merfolk are a definite yes from me
Goblins aswell, but I'll rename/reskin them

>the fairly obvious RAI
Which is? biting them in your last attack? that's bullshit OP.

Idk why you'd do that, but sure..

To smite you burn spell slots so it's not going to be every single turn ever, he isn't going to waste smites on rank and file zombies, probably.

You'd make a paladins around the world very happy. There aren't too many common sources for radiant, sacred flame, a few cleric spells, and smiting just gets a big buff

Well, at 11th level Paladins add 1d8 radiant to all their attacks, that would be 2d8 against undead, and 4d8 because now are vulnerable to radiant.

>op
>in a game balanced in real time by a human with unlimited ability to change the game.

I wish more people would read that one m&m passage.

Hey guys, looking at trying to upgrade the Swordmage class into 5e- should I start with the Eldritch Knight but give it some kinda of mark not unlike the 4e one? Has there already been a homebrew I could look at for inspiration or just use instead?

>Playing barb
>13 con 17 str
>Glaive and polearm master
>Reach lvl 4

Should I get Sentinel feat or +1 str and +1 con ?

Bladesinger Wizard, then take all the rocky/earthy spells / cantrips you can get your hands on

-Mold Earth
-Earth Tremor
-Earthbind
-Maximilian's Earthen Grasp
-Erupting Earth
-Melf's Minute Meteors
-Stone Shape
-Stoneskin
-Wall of stone
-Flesh to stone
-Investiture of Stone
-Move Earth
-Meteor Swamp

Then refluff your blade singing to floating rock armour etc

Marking is in the DMG
You have EK and Bladesinger

CN human wizard often mistaken for a dwarf. Only studies magic to use in get rich quick schemes and scams.

yeah, I forgot about that.

Probably just tell him you fucked up, but stress how good smite is despite the radiant damage not being doubled.

weakness and resistance changing to a flat halved or doubled has made that too big to give.

No, the non lethal bites one. You have to drain them dry, but all damage you deal with it is non lethal. This means there's actually a time cost associated with it, and you'll usually only get one null per encounter.

the 2 +1s
it takes a LONG TIME to get to level 8.
you'll feel the +1 to hit and dmg and +1 ac more

Sounds good, thanks!

Sword coat adventure guide has some of their at-will attacks as cantrips, which could be a good place to look.

Personally, I think Eldritch Knight is a very good place to start. Perhaps you could make the Mark into a Fighting style, depending on which one you were looking at.

The Strength based one might be easiest to let them fire cantrips as a reaction to that enemy attacking an ally.

For Warding, the level 6 ability on an Abjuration Wizard reminded me of it, though it'd need to be toned down for a more minor bonus.

I forgot about the bonus 1d8 to undead and fiends. My bad. So I'll just leave it alone then.

There have been so many "obvious interpretations" for bloodthirst over these days that is funny everytime someone says the words like there's only one obvious RAI

Some clerics too

He won't be too worried, the whole group is new.

But yeah, that long term scaling would be ridiculous

>Level 14. The main reason I don't want to give them another level is that they're all multiclassed 11/3, and levels 12 and 4 are usually underwhelming.

Level them up and let them all take Lucky

I heard something about beastmaster rangers being the most OP shit there is?

How exactly? Animal companions don't level up for shit, more than getting your proficiency bonus, and you can never get anything cooler than some medium donkey. Magical weapons, special abilities and shit gotta be better than 1d6+2, no?

sounds like someone's pulling your leg m8