What system would you run a WW1 game on? Recent media has made me look at the era

What system would you run a WW1 game on? Recent media has made me look at the era.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3#Military
bbc.co.uk/guides/z3kgjxs
bbc.com/news/magazine-25776836
youtube.com/watch?v=vg0Tmydj29M
books.google.com/books?id=4CeZg3_DxxUC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=ISBN 1-84176-997-5&source=bl&ots=zAPBaoF9Ta&sig=AUVqJQUa86ih19ZNH9XnH9DxMn8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl3qGx7cbMAhUKqh4KHaH6CjUQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=you are my prisoner&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=XK4cKzI3-ZY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd set it in 40k, because playing actual ww1 would be pretty boring. All you do is sit in your trench and then maybe you die or you don't. In 40k you can use our ww1 regiment (famous example Krieg) and let some crazy stuff happen, so that the players can actually do something. You can add some demons for trench horror or just let them fight other humans, also you have all kinds of warmachines and stuff.

Only war

>I'd set it in 40k, because playing actual ww1 would be pretty boring. All you do is sit in your trench and then maybe you die or you don't.

it's safe to say the DM would embellish the situation and make sure the players are always being thrown into exciting situations.

ITT: idiots perpetuating the inaccurate popular conceptions of trench warfare

Ops and Tactics

No urban battles ever happened in WW1. It was all trenches all the time. No possible way to make it interesting. There's a reason hollywood avoids it like the plague.

Trench Warfare happened only on the western front in France. You could have sweeping battles of maneuver in the east, duels in the air, battles in the Middle East, commando operations anywhere.

Even then, trench warfare was hardly static. Raids and patrols occurred nightly even if no major offensives were going on. Wars are generally full of lots of moments of doing very little - the difference in WWII is that you might just be marching around or sitting in a truck traveling, but it all depends on the GM as to how frequent or what use these are put to.

Call of Cthulhu.

Or, better, a more generic system like GURPS, make it seem like a standard gritty war RPG, then the fighting wakes up something what wasn't meant to be woken up. Pic related if we're talking France.

Though you might be wary of springing shit like that on your players if they think you're just doing world war 1.

If you're at least somehow familiar with apocalypse games, this.

Those fuckers have managed to make me actually excited for one of their games. I don't care about modern wars, and I don't care about propaganda laden WW2 shlock, give me blimps and gas masks any day.

WW1 is the steanpunkiest war. You had tanks, warplanes and big Zeppelins for the first time, a massive meat grinder of a war between various imperialist powers, and all that cool shit.

Fuck whatever the fuck you were fucking talking about.

Here's something better- was there ever a historical account of a zepplin boarding action in WWI?

GURPS

If you provided a preferred front it would probably help.

>warplanes
>shoddy pursuit aircraft that struggled to exceed 200 km/h

Airplanes didn't get fun until the Zveno project.

Why the fuck do all collector's editions come with statues now?

Because people pay for them?

The more interesting question is why do they already have collector's edition photos RIGHT AFTER the game was announced. We don't even know who the main character even is.

We know he's black, which is enough to make some people buy it, I guess. Not even hating, though, the war from the perspective of the African colonies would be neat.

WWI was waaay more than just "Trenches & Desperation", dude.

For example, the African and Middle Eastern theaters, not to mention the air war.

At least with Battlefield there's evidence we could see other theaters of the war. I'd love to gad about with Ned Lawrence or the Anzacs at Beersheba.

>All you do is sit in your trench and then maybe you die or you don't.
>laughing canadians and australians.jpg
WW1 was all over the place. It's an incredibly interesting war to learn about.

To be fair doing some parts of WW1 accurately would be pretty unfair, especially if you made your players sailors going against a U-Boat. TPKs all around.

Put them in the U-boat and go full Das Boot on them.

You could say the same about any war. I wouldn't want to fly a LaGG-3 against Bf 109 G-6s or charge naked against the Romans.

>Recent media
What recent media?

See, creative thinking, this man is Good GM.

This man has no imagination, he is Bad GM.

KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Did you consider looking at OP's picture? youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Das Boot was WW2, in WW1 U-Boats were pretty much just instant death for ships until they invented depth charges. I remember even reading a diary written by a WW1 U-Boat captain and he was constantly boasting about his hundreds of confirmed kills and how swole his muscles were as he did push-ups whenever the U-Boat surfaced.

>implying Paths of Glory and All Quiet aren't GOAT war films

3 character perspectives

Not him, but what use do even the non-trenchy parts of the war have to TTRPG gameplay? Unless you're playing some WW1 wargame, which would be fucking awesome, there are no options. It's a modern war with modern weaponry, three to six murderhobos aren't going to make a difference. Not unless they're Frenchmen using the Sainte Chapelle's fragment of the True Cross combined with Charlemagne's sword to fight against Kaiser Wilhelm's battlemech that's powered by the tears of Poles.

Not everything has to be the main battle. You can do midnight raids to grab prisoners of war for trade and intel, you can try to assassinate local enemy leaders, you can try to sneak past the front lines to blow up a bridge or sabotage their artillery...

Wait. Is this going to be a thing? Tell me this is going to be a thing.

I need:
>A Springfield
>Colt New Action
>Browning Auto-5
>37mm mle 1916 TRP
>Other cool guns of WWI

True, but that has no overarching story. The missions get repetitive: assassinate this officer, blow up that bridge, steal this document, sabotage that piece of artillery etc. There's no big bad either, and even if you implement a big bad he's a guy with a crippled arm and an inferiority complex, not some badass wizard lich dude whom you square off against in a battle worthy of song.

If someone can turn a modern historical setting into an actual fun and exciting campaign, I'd love to see that. This person must have a lot more imagination than me, because I can't imagine it without invoking the supernatural one way or another.

Tovarisch, you'll get your moist nugget and nothing else, and you'll like it.

>There's no big bad either, and even if you implement a big bad he's a guy with a crippled arm and an inferiority complex, not some badass wizard lich dude whom you square off against in a battle worthy of song.
Or you come up with a PERSONAL major enemy. Someone the player characters have some deeply personal reason to want to kill.

What is the die for this?

The African theatre would be so good.

You actually have no imagination, don't
you?

I just want a Mannlicher-Schonauer Carbine.
>dem pencil bullets
>dat set trigger
>dat buttery smooth action
>dat stock that goes aaaaaaall the way up

I don't senpai

What makes the lich more evil than the man who unleashes mustard gas on a village of innocents? What makes killing him more heroic than capturing him alive to stand trial?

>What makes the lich more evil than the man who unleashes mustard gas on a village of innocents?
That's a good point

>What makes killing him more heroic than capturing him alive to stand trial?
Neither is heroic because once again, it's a guy with a crippled arm and not some skeleton who is above the laws of reality. There is no satisfying final confrontation where the full power of the party is needed.

>There's no big bad either, and even if you implement a big bad he's a guy with a crippled arm and an inferiority complex, not some badass wizard lich dude whom you square off against in a battle worthy of song.

Sounds like you just need to learn to write fun villains instead of using wizardry as a crutch. Pic related. Different world war, but still a good example of how to be an evil son of a bitch.

Why is the Kaiser the BBEG and not this dapper motherfucker or some other general? You could even be playing from the other side, in which case you'd be fighting to defend the cripple who only wanted to bring a bunch of dirty Serbs to justice.

>fighting against the Serbs
>preserving kebab

>guns with actual names instead of letter-number nonsense
dear god take me, i'm ready

>battles in the Middle East

Yeah, the Middle East didn't really get the memo on WW1, the Guhrka's were pretty much in Baghdad snorting coke and generally getting completely halal by christmas as advertised whilst the rest of the British empire found itself waist deep in mud and bad poetry.

Admit it, user, the M3 is the greatest military asset of all time. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3#Military :^)

>WWI was waaay more than just "Trenches & Desperation", dude.
This was the general feeling of the war and doctrine of the time. Meaningless meatgrinder of thousands men thrown unto anvil of useless carnage. Dying on barbed wire, gas attacks, machine guns sweeping the ranks, hours upon hours of artillery fire. You'd know that if you read any books about WWI.

Of course, you can make fast paced shooter with quick time events in the trenches, stupid spec ops and other overused crap. This won't be a game about WWI.

I think you should try D6 adventure.It even comes with a wounds system if you don't want to use HP

The Creatures book also comes with stats for WW1 soldiers and civilians

Now I'm imagining a giant muscular dude glistening with oil doing pushups in a Nazi uniform, shirtless except for his coat, which is draped over his shoulders doing pushups in the midst of battle as their U-boat destroys ships.

>Now I'm imagining a giant muscular dude glistening with oil doing pushups in a Nazi uniform

>WWI
>Nazi uniform

I was excited for this, but then I watched the trailer and stopped caring and am now sad.

>This was the general feeling of the war and doctrine of the time. Meaningless meatgrinder of thousands men thrown unto anvil of useless carnage. Dying on barbed wire, gas attacks, machine guns sweeping the ranks, hours upon hours of artillery fire. You'd know that if you read any books about WWI.
So.
Much.
Bullshit.
This is one of those "common knowledge" cases where the thing everybody "knows" is complete bullshit.
What you have described applies to a small handful of specific battles on one front of the war, and even then is WILDLY inaccurate about HOW trench warfare worked.
bbc.co.uk/guides/z3kgjxs

>You'd know that if you read any books about WWI.

bbc.com/news/magazine-25776836

W E W
L
A
D

>Nazi uniform

I'm sorry, but the Nazi uniform has pervaded my knowledge of the german military and is squarely in the top three sexiest articles of clothing that can be worn so I won't apologize for my chronological errors.

>WW1 was trench warfare only

North Africa says hi. The best WW1 game would be about fucking around with Lawrence of Arabia and friends, sabotaging armored trains and raiding behind Ottoman lines, ideally with a dash of The Mummy.

>actual WWI was boring

Are you retarded or just shitposting?

Wait why is their new game called Battlefield 1. That makes no sense. Also homebrewed Only War.

WTF? Why is this everywhere? I go on /pol/ it's there, I go on to Veeky Forums it's fucking there. I thought I was safe on Veeky Forums, but it seems that's not the case either.

>ideally with a dash of The Mummy
I can't wait to bayonet charge the Rock.

Butthurt about a black guy.

You're on idiot for thinking Veeky Forums wouldn't get a huge boner for something that's WW1 and not "hur dur trenches n' shit"

We all know the new game is going to be shit, but at the very least we'll get some pretty pictures to use in our WW1 games.

Personally I wish they'd one with a year in the title, but I do understand the logic of "1" for World War One.

When something leaps into the public eye people want to know things so they can sound smart without actually doing any research.

>the music is unfitting for the time period
>the 5th (technically 8th or 9th) game in the series is called "battlefield 1"

other than that it looks fairly interesting but i haven't been really impressed with battlefield since the bad company games

>>the 5th (technically 8th or 9th) game in the series is called "battlefield 1"
It's World War 1, dingus. Putting 1 in the name makes perfect sense.

Should be Batlefield: 1914/5/6/7/8 depending on the region and scope.

it makes about as much sense as calling the 4th movie in a series by the original title when it's not a reboot

>bbc
Dropped. If future generations will read bbcuck articles on current events their heads will be full of shit just like yours.

2d6

>the music is unfitting for the time period
Hopefully the actual game will bring back the classic bf1942 theme.
youtube.com/watch?v=vg0Tmydj29M

>he is dissing the Red Baron and Immelmann to boot
Fuggoff matey

when will you airchavs ever learn that the only people who enjoy your company are other airchavs
just go back to war thunder and play amongst your own kind forever

>naive aerial jousting
>worth reverence
Naw.

Aylemayo feels bad to get mown down on the ground doesnt it
memes

If books.google.com/books?id=4CeZg3_DxxUC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=ISBN 1-84176-997-5&source=bl&ots=zAPBaoF9Ta&sig=AUVqJQUa86ih19ZNH9XnH9DxMn8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl3qGx7cbMAhUKqh4KHaH6CjUQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=you are my prisoner&f=false sounds like anything but top fucking naivety to you then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sounds like someone could afford to treat their opponents with respect like proper noblemen deserve and this commoner pleb takes offense to his betters treating each other like- well, his betters. Learn your place, servant.

I would recommend running it in one of the 40k RPG systems (prolly Only War or Dark Heresy). While monotony is inherent to Trench Warfare, not all aspects of it are that way. In WWI there were lots of small-unit expeditions into no-mans land for a wide variety of reasons, and things like trench-raids, sniper warfare, and sapper-battles were common enough to base at least part of a campaign around those aspects.

>devolving back to "everything is a trench"
>not reading the replies to the last guy who made this comment

Ponces like you are why Chennault left for China.

Immelmann

What a fucking boss. Were we still in an era where it were possible to be mission killed in an airframe and put it down just any old place, I guarantee you we'd still have fighter jocks that would park nearby, hop out, and shout, "OWNED, MOTHERFUCKER! Get in the penalty box!"

Stroheim makes people uncomfortable in that most didn't they could ever like a Nazi so much.

>trench warfare
>boring

trench warfare is probably some of the most intense kind of fighting you can do. All the fun close-quarter fighting of urban warfare without any need to hold back because of civilians/infrastructure. It's a myth that one side got out of their trench and then were just mowed down by machine guns before they could get near the enemy. Most attacks penetrated the first few lines of trenches - clearing them often devolved into hand to hand fighting. Then the attack would get bogged down and lose momentum, at which point the enemy would counter-attack. Sometimes the attackers held their gains, sometimes they were forced to retreat tench by trench until they could make a run for their own lines.

Bloody, yes. Boring, no.

And if you're going to say 'but most of the time they were just sitting in their trenches not doing anything', firstly, that's not true since raiding the opposite trench was a common activity, and secondly that's what most warfare is about anyway.

except they'll never show the non-European theatre because it's all brown soldiers being led around by white officers.

>tfw WWII in Ethiopia game with brown soldiers being led around by brown officers never

>that's not true since raiding the opposite trench was a common activity
While it's true you forgot other important part. It was essentially futile. All gains could be easily lost. It was back and forth which very soon became pointless.

WWI provides many scenarios for FPS but tone of the game would be very different.

Well, they've hinted a little bit at doing multiple narratives in the campaign.
Could be he's in the 369th Infantry.

I doubt they'll get any further south than the Ottoman Empire, though.

From what I've heard the dude on the cover is actually an American, this being Battlefield and all, which hints that we'll might not see much of Africa.

>It was essentially futile.
Firstly, since when did first person shooters care about the larger strategic outlook? The modern wars in the middle east have been completely futile so far and that hasn't stopped any game companies using middle eastern settings. Secondly, in what sense was it futile? Battles were won and lost, same as in any other war.

Fingers crossed for the opportunity to operate with CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien at the Somme.

>is actually an American
As were the 369th Infantry.
All black unit in the US army with a quite impressive war record.

Well shit, I probably should have looked that up until I be stupid.

>inb4 it ends up being worse than Red Tails
youtube.com/watch?v=XK4cKzI3-ZY

>duels in the air

Fucking hell now I want to find or make a system for doing WW1 era air battles...

Seconding Call of Cthulhu, I love the system and if you need a good character sheet you could run them off of Roll20 (I know, not desirable but I enjoy having mine online). Plenty of good resources too, and the system itself is good to limit because there is no leveling. I think this makes the chance of you dying and the difficulty match well for WWI.

Also seconding GURPS, it appears me and this user have the same ideas. Overall it is a pretty okay system.