Reminder to swordfags

Reminder to swordfags

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nKEdcCSz_8c
wikiwand.com/en/Deconstruction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But I use throwing swords. A limitless supply of throwing swords.

And I use throwing spears.

Samurai are super gay though.

Answering bait with real question: If Swords are Short-Range, what the hell are Knives and other close contact weapons?

Yeah but those are far easier to bat out of the air when unarmed because they only really have one sharp bit you need to avoid.

Very Short, Touch, or No Range?

>Not using this
Plebians beneath my noble visiage

>doesn't shoot franks
INTO THE TRASH IT GOES

Silly American, Guns Aren't Real Because Our Fingers Aren't Real.

Shank range.

The weaknessess of polearms include flexibility in confined spaces.
like kobold infested dungeons.
Secondary weaknesses is restrictions to their potential loadouts. A polearm + shield prevents you from using both hands on the spear as efficiently as you could have. A polearm cannot be wielded to full effect while reloading a crossbow. A polearm does not stash quickly, compared to sheathing a sword.
That's pretty much it.

None of the things I care about are weapons. Is that a problem?

Don't worry, here's the real one.

>Not carrying a sidearm
What are you, some sort of 8-STR wuss who can't handle the carry weight?

I guess the common term would be "melee" or "hand-to-hand."

Generally unless it's a big thrusting knife (see, actually a sword) knives are short enough that their reach is really inconsequential compared to just fucking punching people.

>not the FRANKA-FRANKA-FRANKA edit

for shame

>vanilla sword
Even Broli used a lightsaber.

>not having a spear, a shield, and a sword
laughinggreeks.webm

Swords have the advantage of being very versatile and easy to carry. They're ideal close-range weapons unless you're dealing with a heavily armored force (where you'd need a mace), or the elves (where you'd want an axe, for demoralization).

Plus, polearms have a somewhat limited window of reach: If you can get inside the polearm's reach, they'll be forced to drop it and change weapons.

Swords are only short range if you don't know what you're doing.

Who's Broli?

That Walfas comic I remember. It's meant to mock the number of sword-wielding OCs who think a vanilla sword is good for all circumstances. They don't even halfsword or mordhau.

>not having a pocket dimension filled with every weapon known to man in staggering quantity

>a pocket dimension filled with high explosives and nuclear warheads

Jesus Christ how horrifying.

The strongest Saiyajin presumably

It's a really iconic weapon, to be fair. Most normies don't know Cuchulain or other non-sword heroes.

Does the dimension also have a staggering quantity of prickishness?

He's the guy with the snazzy hat on the bottom right. The creator of OP's picture has plenty of works mocking various Mary Sue traits, especially Touhou OCs who somehow think vanilla swords are good in a world based around ranged combat. Broli, a parody character, fights by chucking swords at his enemies.

This is dumb. You're dumb. Pretty much every polearm was either explicitly intended for or fully capable of linear thrusts (IE, being used as a spear.) Sure, it could probably be annoying as fuck to use a hafted weapon in a confined space if you had to swing it around, but luckily, you don't fucking use polearms like that for the most part. Imagine trying to get at a guy with a spear while you have a sword. Now imagine that you're both in a narrow hallway- you're going to have an even harder time because YOU can't maneuver around. It's the principle of a choke-point.

If you were in really close quarters (as in literally climbing around in little tunnels) or managed to get surrounded without backup, sure, having a hafted weapon probably isn't your best option, but for the most part using anything BUT a thrusting weapon in confined spaces is utter lunacy. If you get a little bit of reach advantage, all the better.

Yet on open ground, a halberdier beats a swordsman nine out of ten times. Polearms are very much the assault rifles of their time, and swords are the pistols: a secondary weapon for a soldier, or the weapon of choice for a civilian.

Well, a sufficiently demeaning attitude can cause harm to someone's psyche, so weaponized "prickness" I suppose could be in there.

I wonder what if they read the Mahabharata. Now that's overpowered Bows & Arrows up the ass.

>this analogy again

Go home, user, you're being a retard (again).

Difference between a fenching lunge and just stabbing with a long weapon is that with the former, while you can often close surprisingly long distance (seriously, fencers are fucking crazy), you still end up with your body/hand closer than you would if you used a spear.

Also, you can lunge with a spear as well.

Ah. So it wasn't that other Broli, then. My mistake.

Well, bows and arrows are a little more iconic; William Tell and Robin Hood and such. Everyone knows bows and arrows.

>being a candy assed bitch of the line
>not being a rodelero

This Broli stars in "A Diamond in the Rough", a walfas animation which TvTropes'd call a "deconstruction" of things like Mary Sue self-insert fanfiction & especially the Touhou kind. He starts off like an OC DONUT STEEL but he grows as a character & ends up as a rather balanced one.

>William Tell
>bow
He used a CROSSBOW you fucking mongoloid!

A much better Broli than the blond guy whose power is maximum.

How many remember that the Norse Dwarfs were the ones who forged Mjolnir? We need some hammers.

>side characters trying to justify their shitty life choices with muh realism

Yeah whatever pal, enjoy being in the background I'll be saving the world with my sword

Why would you want shitty hammers when you can have boars?

Very much so, unlike Broly who's "I'M STRONGER THAN YOU", Broli faces shit tons of consequences & defeats for each his actions.(Broly got defeated twice in the movies, not counting Bio-Broly.) Broli isn't portrayed as strong as he's portrayed selfish or gradually weaker & self-aware. He's what if an OC DONUT STEEL didn't have the world their fanfic is in bend to their will.

You really think that's your sword, whelp?

The sword is controlling you, Shulk.

A crossbow is just taking two bows and knocking them together to make a short bow.

Don't you know how sex works?

This.

>he uses a common man's weapon
>he doesn't use the poleaxe

why is a sword controlling she-hulk?

>not wanting to drop the hammer

swords are heroic because it's what you're often left using at the end of a fight

and we all know the winners write the history books

>tfw Jin will never get over his Ragna-boner

I have a question. Why are swords seen as the default balanced weapon, when they're specifically made to be agile weapons? They should be the speed weapon.

Not her. The kid with the Xenoblade.

hey, like, what if we just make the sword longer?

No

>mfw Jin will never notice how best Noel is

Yeah but so does Yumeko, how's that a parody

It depends on the sword. I wouldn't call a Greatsword speedy.

>swords
>balanced
Sword beats axe beats lance beats sword, user.

>I wouldn't call a Greatsword speedy.
And I wouldn't call you intelligent.
youtube.com/watch?v=nKEdcCSz_8c

shirou pls get off Veeky Forums

>like Sanada Yukimura who was the best samurai

>Noel
Quit posting, 'Condom'.

Broli is what happens when a Touhou OC doesn't have the writer on his side. His trek through Gensokyo isn't as pleasant as it is disastrous. Broli himself isn't as magic as many Touhou characters. He doesn't have as many work arounds aside from hammerspace & the ability to chuck swords.

Well when a bow grows up it wants to make more bows, so when it finds a nice bow they'll get smashed together really fast like. You know? Just BAM BAM BAMABMABAM! And then viola! In a few weeks of carving like that a new little bow is made!

Sometimes a Longbow and a shortbow get together and cross and then you get stranger things like the composite bow.

Duh, senpai.

You're literally describing Yumeko, a PC98-era character who's a maid what chucked entire swords like Sakuya chucks knives, therefore upstaging her forever before Sakuya even existed. Lrn22hu.

waddle dee pls, she's a best and you know it

Didn't you dye your clothes recently?

Swords are dextrous and require finesse, which I'm sure is a big part of their staying power as a herioc weapon, but spears are faster for the most part just by merit of geometry.

A basic two-handed spear stabbing motion is an incredibly efficient movement in terms of economy of motion. Being a two handed weapon, a longspear (like a longsword) has a lot of leverage and can deliver sucsessive strikes pretty fucking fast if need be. Whats more, by simple merit of length, when the user of a hafted weapon makes a subtle adjustment at their end of the weapon, the spearhead can move to a dramatically different angle.

I've done even just the slightest bit of HEMA dorkery, and even then I can tell you that a major, MAJOR advantage a spear has over a sword that most people don't consider is the fact that a spear user can deliver an attack to your feet, then your face or vice versa really, really fucking fast without really putting too much effort into it or telegraphing their movement at all.

No, I'm not describing Yumeko nor any PC98 character. Broli's far more self-serving when the story began & is, among other things, a named male character. I don't remember many male Touhou characters aside from Rinnosuke.

Two handed anythings are fast as fuck, arguably faster than one handed weaponry.

Fulcrums, yo.

>implying any of you could handle the huge, heavy, and thick spear of Achilles

Even Patroclus couldn't handle that shit Which is why he was the top

I don't give a fuck about OCs, OCs are inevitably cancer. I remember when I used to post on th-p, those were the days.

>OCs are inevitably cancer
OCs, especially Touhou ones, are what Broli's entire character are supposed to "deconstruct" as Tv Tropes would call it. He's supposed to be everything wrong with an OC put together & then made to suffer & develop as a character.

Who gives a fuck about OCs, besides some tertiary fags on some MAL-tier forum? I've never seen this shit crop up on th-p, /jp/ or literally anywhere else worth visiting.

And I would say see some other weapons. I feel a Spear be faster. Maybe we should use a sword as a spear.

Nice missing the point. What do you think of parody or satire?

Isn't this basically 3.PF_in_a_nutshell.png?

I think nothing of it if it involves parodying the dumbest, most braindead elements of society, especially internet society. I have enough runins with those retards daily anyway.

DECONSTRUCTION DID NOT ORIGINATE FROM TVTROPES YOU NITWIT.
wikiwand.com/en/Deconstruction

>Deconstruction according to Derrida
>Basic philosophical concerns
>Derrida's concerns flow from a consideration of several issues:

>A desire to contribute to the re-valuation of all western values, built on the 18th century Kantian critique of reason, and carried forward to the 19th century, in its more radical implications, by Kierkegaard and Nietzsche.
>An assertion that texts outlive their authors, and become part of a set of cultural habits equal to, if not surpassing, the importance of authorial intent.
>A re-valuation of certain classic western dialectics: poetry vs. philosophy, reason vs. revelation, structure vs. creativity, episteme vs. techne, etc.

That autistic point out of the way, I have made my peace as a former 13-year-old fan-fiction writer that an original character is only justified within original content.
If you're going to create a character within an already existing setting, you should really consider why he isn't the protagonist of his own story.
The reason Broli seems to exist is to poke fun and criticize the writings of a portion of a subset of the weeaboos who happen to follow a particular weeaboo game on a Baltic cooking show forum, a niche so incredibly narrow it's almost two-dimensional.
Is that the answer you were looking for?

Interesting, but makes sense.

>OCs are the most braindead elements of society
You are so cute

>parodying the dumbest, most braindead elements of society
>implying mocking those aspects aren't fun

It gets on my fucking nerves and I'd rather forget that they even exist
I'd prefer to spend my free time reading a good story instead of watching someone meme about idiots

Nah, and it essentially has nothing to do with 3.PF's problems -- the problem is "guy who can perform attacks 2' away" vs "guy who can perform attacks 30' away" vs "guy who can perform attacks farther away than you can move in one round" vs "guy who can perform attacks based off line of sight."

3e's problems are more "that guy is chipping away at hit points" vs "that guy is killing/neutralizing the enemy with a single failed save and failed spell resistance check" (beguiler/necromancer/psion tier) vs "that guy is killing/neutralizing the enemy, there is no saving throw, spell resistance, or roll beyond a rigged inits" (conjurer tier).

>DECONSTRUCTION DID NOT ORIGINATE FROM TVTROPES YOU NITWIT
Did I claim it came from TV Tropes? All I said was "As TV Tropes would say" because TvTropes makes much usage of it & is an easy source of reference which many know of. It's just like how many use 1984 or Brave New World as an example of a dystopia despite dystopian literature far predating those books.
>a niche so incredibly narrow it's almost two-dimensional
But the character itself & many of the actions he does applies to many other OCs too. It's a take on Touhou OCs that applies to non-Touhou ones.

>reading a good story
>parodies or satire on bad literature is immediately bad

What have you got against Don Quixote and Shakespeare, huh?

Swords are the most heroic weapon.

Spears stab. Axes hack. Swords can stab, hack, slash, cut, or be driven deep into the hide of some horrible beast. This makes swords far more versatile in the hands of a skilled storyteller, since all these maneuvers carry different connotations. Swords are also more laden with symbolism. Finally, swords allow a hero to display clear strength and power, but also outwit and outspeed big and dumb opponents.

tl;dr: D&D mimics storytelling traditions more than military traditions. But you already knew that.

Fucking weeaboos

By that argument, you want a crossbow, and you would not be wrong there.

>polearms vs swords argument again

Why would anyone want a crossbow?

They take too long to reload.

Less training maybe. One of the reasons why guns became popular.

I say all we need are rocks, some string, and a piece of leather.

Give that and you'll give someone a bad day.

Yes, slings would get the job done. I'm unsure if you can cause it to rain rocks with one though.

Bigger sling, more rocks.

This is a bad comparison. A sword is a sidearm as where a halves is not

Halberd fucking autocorrect worst feature of the century