Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Pathfinder General - /pfg/

What is the best 1pp martial class and why is it Paladin?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
pastebin.com/5F8RNubX

Old thread: 47106528

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PdHX6WAfG9A&t=16m50s
youtu.be/u0yuDfcOhvA?t=6m53s
paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/shoggoth.html#shoggoth
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like monk. Max fist.

They've tried so hard to 'fix' monks with archetypes. I agree, though, they're fun.

>implying

Who's the Smite magnet?

Oh shit, immediately best character

So basically the point is that double weapon are just inferior longswords/axes/flails?

Barbarian is arguably good too, though if your DM is shit with loot paladin has a decent option in divine bonded weapon.

TWF while usually a trap option can be used to smite the SHIT out of evil.

Immunity to fear, charm and diseases, 'free' healing, mercies, spellcasting, full BAB, two good saves (one of them will!), bonuses to saves.

In short the paladin gets a lot of utility, which is unusual for most martials.

I'm partial to bloodrager, though sometimes, good ol' invulnerable rager barbarian is just a grand old time for just wanting fat numbers.

Is that a Gray Paladin?

The concept is interesting, it's nice to have something that targets neutrals.

>real thread got smited
How disappointing.

I told them to worry about the Lower Planes.

They never even got time to repent

>not recognizing Anti the Antipaladin
>implying Gray Paladin deserves artwork, or anything more than mockery

If you add PoW mechanics to 1pp martials, what that make them objectively the best?

Why don't the DSP devs give full initiating to 1pp martials?

The only reason I jumped to Grey because the file name.

I miss the gba era crits, they were so silly they were incredible

If 1pp martials inherently come with PoW mechanics, would that make them objectively the best?

$
Why don't the DSP devs give full initiating to 1pp martials?

Pathfinder (still) suffers from ivory tower design, wherein there are deliberately bad options put out there. Martials tend to be some of the bad options. Two weapon fighting is extremely feat intensive and also generally a bad option.

You *might* be able to get a decent TWF build out of something like a paladin with smite evil (and divine bond weapon), but generally TWF is bad.

You can just make one post senpai

Because it makes the MASSIVE FUCKING POWER JUMP even more egregious.

Paladins are fucking great.

>>tfw will never play a gestalt paladin/oracle

I know that the oradin almost always goes with the life mystery, so they can get life link and absorb some damage from other people before spamming heals on themselves. I really like the look of the lore mystery though. Is there a way to take the lore mystery but choose a revelation from another mystery (in this case, life link from the life mystery)?

Also, is full oracle up one side, 2 mindchemist/X paladin a good shout? Perfect recall from the mindchemist means you add twice your CHA mod to knowledge checks for two levels, and you also get a +4 bonus to CHA that lasts for 20 minutes, effectively increasing yours saves, spell DCs but reducing max health slightly. Not to worry though since you're survivable as hell (heavy armour, CHA to AC), and can heal yourself as a swift action.

Sorry, post got eaten

They at least deserve nice things

TWF works strongest the more individual bonuses you can stack on to each attack.

Things like Smite, Challenge, Sneak Attack, and other things that can leverage a hefty amount of damage are what make it shine if you've got the feats to spare.

They do get nice things, unless they're fighter.

I'm actually thinking of convincing my GM to institute gestalt when we hit epic levels. And I'm already partly Paladin with great CHA, so Oracle is the best choice.
Considering epic levels should be harder to achieve than normal levels, I feel it's an interesting trade-off.

Yeah, and there are ways to add initiating with feats and archetypes. It'd just be a bit much to give them free initiating (plus, if people were playing the same class without choosing initiating, they'd be a flat downgrade).

Let's not descend to Paizo's level. Beat them by designing better.

>Initiating
>Nice

AHAHAHAHAHA

But they scale well at well, and are essentially are what amounts to one-trick ponies, giving them full access to manuevers and shit will make them versatile

they don't* scale well at all
FFS

Hello, yes, we are humans

6th level initiating is fine, christ.

Are you one of those people who thinks that less than full 9-level casting is worthless too?

But they do.
>maneuvers
>mattering
user, no. Full attack is still what matters the most for 'initiators' because DSP is terrified of making strikes worthwhile. Stances are about all that really matter, and as stated, you can get feats for all of that just fine.

Those look cool. What are they?

This is why martials are still lacking

But they aren't. Paladins and Barbarians can go toe-to-toe with, and shrek, initiators just fine without a single maneuver or stance to their name.

Thus once again proving that strikes need actual power behind them, because full attacks still win.

Sup

How would you play a stealthy pirate, /pfg/?

Assume any 3pp options and gestalt rules are available.

The biggest cause of 'vanilla martials suck' talk is Fighters.

A lot of them are viable. Paladins are good. Barbarians are good. Heck, even Cavaliers do alright for themselves. Fighters are just... lackluster. They were likely the first thing looked at in the swap to PF, still had the 3.5 mentality of 'fuck class features', were done in like a day, and then never looked at again.

So what, regardless of what they can do, no vanilla martial is allowed to even THINK of standing up to an Initiator?

Fuck off.

>stealthy pirate

Pic related.

Stalker (privateer), whatever else you like for gestalt.

It isn't just about damage though, 1pp martials are rightly based damage dealers, it's all the other things

Why the fuck does this thing have legs?

Tell me, /pfg/! What happens on your character's birthday?

Define 'other things'.

Given that initiators literal purpose is to replace and surpass vanilla martials, due to vanilla martials being shithouse and being bad at anything that isn't pure damage and still being pretty meh at that? Yeah, initiators SHOULD be able to whip their shit with no problems.

Humans. Can't you read?

Caught in a bad necromance.

Is there a way to get dex to damage on thrown weapons? I was gonna make a small sized chucker

PoW wasn't designed 'to be better than vanilla martials', it was designed to be competent. Barbarians and Paladins are competent, so they're fine.

Don't get salty just because paizo actually did something right once upon a motherfucking time.

So it can kick your ass, user.

Hey bb, wanna netflix and chill?

All the better to kick you with.

Stop samefagging and attacking yourself.

DAAAAAAAAMNpir

>I'm actually thinking of convincing my GM to institute gestalt when we hit epic levels.

That would be really fun, especially since being gestalt only increases the party's effective 'CR' by 1 or 2 due to action economy still being a thing.

Oracle and Paladin mesh so well together. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way I can see to get CHA to hit (on non-evil enemies of course), or use CHA for more things apart from saves (divine grace, paladin) or AC (sidestep secret, oracle).

If you are an elf or half-elf I'd highly recommend looking at the ancient lorekeeper archetype for oracle. Choose a spell from the wizard list (one level lower than the highest level oracle spell you can cast), and add it to your spells known at every even level except 20. These spells replace the bonus ones associated with mysteries.

Free divination spells thanks to blood money? Done. Haste? Done. Charm spells? Done.

It's not really gestalt if you're just taking levels in another class post-20.

This ninja looks fucking great

Nothing says inconspicuous like a full blown weeaboo ninja halloween costume. No one would ever suspect you to be a competent assassin I guess.

Aw, that's cute.

And she spends her birthday like she spends her normal days, banging

I can't imagine how empty and lonely Veeky Forums would feel if this stopped.

I'm currently playing a cleric in pathfinder for the first time and I was wondering if there were more options to play a reach heal cleric? My character turned out rather squishy so they don't have the capability to survive long in direct combat.

Channel energy seems to have the distance but rarely puts out enough HP to count as life saving compared to the touch healing spells. With turn undead not in pathfinder for metamagic feats, I've heard metamagic isn't the best option and to instead use a metamagic rod instead. Aside from that the spell sacred bond is the only other option I've found to help heal a party member from a distance but that only really works for one other character.

Are there any other good options to heal without getting too close to combat?

We have special eats. No cakes or anything like that, just a favorite food.

Humans bruh, just how this is also human

Life oracle.

The fuck happened to the old therad?

At the end of that thread, two new threads were posted. One was about Paladins, one was about like, evil something.

People came to paladinthread since it was posted first, and the evil thread got smoten.

It's not about the weaboo costume, it's about not being identified.

youtube.com/watch?v=PdHX6WAfG9A&t=16m50s

example - two guys from kogan ryu sword school are sent by their sensei to kill two guys from funaki sword school who specialize in 'helmet cutting' (basically improved sunders). Their sensei's hate each other (having been forced to duel by their lord before) and the kogan man who brings back the head(s) of their opponents will be made heir... the intention being that one of them will die.

kogan specializes in a swing that ends up holding the sword by only the thumb and first finger, giving them extra reach on a lung... and something of an improved initiative

At this point in time, a lot of samurai were forbidden from dueling by their lords, thus disguises were worn when they went to murder rivals.

He gets a special letter from his parents, wishing him happiness and success and wondering if maybe he's had enough adventuring and would like to come home and settle down. A small lemon cake is included. He also gets a rather haphazardly-assembled homemade card from his many younger siblings, wishing him a happy birthday and typically containing a drawing of him riding his robo-mount fighting a giant monster.

Go say hi to your Uncle Joe, kids

>Greetings, Undead Warrior...

Ahh, it was you who rang the bells of awakening, was it not?

There are archetypes for that.

Feat into familiar.

"Dragon-jesus fuck what is that?"

youtu.be/u0yuDfcOhvA?t=6m53s

Specifically out of combat

Excuse me, this is a paladin thread, fuck off with your spooky bullyshit

How can they be paladins without spooky shit to fight?

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/shoggoth.html#shoggoth

That poor starfish

Well, your picture is clearly a Privateer Warlord who went into the Daring Hero Prestige Class

I'm fuckin' dying

Would a Solid Snake/Big Boss character work better as a Slayer or a Ranger? Slayer seems interesting, I'm just iffy on using it for ranged since that basically prevents me from ever using Sneak Attack. Is there a way to reliably get ranged sneak attacks on Slayer?

A paladin is just as much a paladin in peacetime as wartime, my friend. Perhaps more.

Asking again because I didn't get an answer last thread.

My Knight Disciple Paladin wants to join the Scales of Mourning Tradition, and its a Golarion based game. What is the best way to include the Tradition into Golarion, and where could both it and the Discipline most likely arise from in Golarion

>inb4 use the Trait
Already using it to get Eternal Guardian

I hate to be the one to just immediately jump to DSP, but Stalker might be the right choice for you.

Good stealth, access to the Rogue talents, and a sneak attack analog that isn't affected by ranged (and can be more reliably proc'd)

That said, the answer for the question you ask, probably Slayer. I'm not sure about reliable ways, without some dedicated flankers. There are a few archetypes you might be able to cohort into, or convince your partners to take.

>That weapon

Is she going to summon the Dragonzord?

You can sneak at 30ft, and there are both Rogue Talents and Goggles of Sniping to extend this.

I wish I could help you, user, but I honestly can't find any info on the Scales of Mourning Tradition. I'm certain I've seen that name, but I can't find it in my google docs.

Can you link me to it, or provide some info?

Also, are you asking for mechanical means, or a setting reason?

Alright, thanks. Slayer seemed like the better choice, since Studied Target is more adaptive/target based than Favored Enemy. And luckily, it seems like their Slayer Talents can add the things I liked from Ranger into Slayer (Favored Terrain, and I think Combat Styles as well)
I was somewhat hoping for an archetype that swapped out Sneak Attack, but no dice.

>That entire Seathe segment

It's in Lords of the Night and is associated with Unquiet Grave. They're an organization dedicated to preserving the relative balance of positive and negative energy after they turned off entropy on their home island and it turned out to be a really shitty fucking idea.

"Then again... her tail's awfully fluffy though..."

It's from Lords of the Night. I'll post caps as soon as my internet works on my laptop

How's it feeeeeel, Seathe?

To be forever alone...

"This one guy and this bird are gettin' along real good... like, REALLY good... a LOT."

>GMing Iron Gods, currently in book 3
>after awhile, the necromancer player in the party befriends redfang and he tells her his story
>decides to bring back one of his dead wives as an undead
>eventually brings her to the high home after a few days
>redfang is horrified and orders the party to leave town or he'll hunt them down, seeing as how raising the dead is probably not very acceptable in a village that worships erastil
>says to leave peacefully, and if they don't leave peacefully in the morning he'll destroy the technological items they left with him in the high home
>the kineticist, upon hearing he may or may not lose gear for openly dealing with a necromancer threatens to kill redfang if he gets rid of their items
>the druid seems to have no problem with any of this as the entire town is being polluted by poisonous gas infecting their water
>the mesmerist, the only sensible member of the party who could sort all of this out is currently knocked out from having nearly 0 CON from bad rolls against the poison gas from the Aurora's wreck
So how was your session?

I'm trying to make the world's most retarded wizard. Does anyone have a homebrew race with -4 INT?

All wizards with Int below 10 will play identically (ie not have anything to do ever).

At least we know what Plague's into, now.

Ah, that's why it didn't show up to google or pfsrd or google docs. But I do love unquiet grave, I just never had the means to play it so I never really looked at their tradition.

Semi-immortals, right?

I'm sure some people here would appreciate that, I have the pdf, I just never looked at the tradition closely

Honestly, I feel like the Traditions provide good lore and background/inspiration, but the lore shouldn't be a hindrance to their institution. For example, I play a Paladin to an Empyreal Lord, and Silver Crane is the martial art they teach in Heaven to the Celestial Legions and several official Paladin Orders. I co-opted the oath (replacing my patron's name with the solar who invented Silver Crane).

Just look for an analog opportunity in world. Age old vampire or necromancer martial who developed their art and taught it when they grew bored of hiding away in enlightenment, or the army they taught it to dissolved, or the notes were discovered and corrupted the slayers who killed them.

If you're looking for a mechanical way, I'm honestly not familiar with more traditions past taking multiclassing or the trait. Just chat with your GM. There are no rules for retraining PoW, but an appropriate stretch of time and money should cover it in my opinion. After all, you're not getting the side benefits of the tradition, so there's no real reason why not.

Yeah but I want him to be useless AND retarded. Like "one step away from vegetable" retarded.