This probably already exists in some form but I'm looking to do a homebrew tabletop system featuring Zoids...

This probably already exists in some form but I'm looking to do a homebrew tabletop system featuring Zoids. I've already got a hex-based battle system in mind with considerations for air, land and sea battles but what I am having difficulties with is how to make a system that can stat out the zoids themselves and include a subsystem for pilots that add to their machine's abilities.

I played Zoids Legacy for the GBA and thought it would make for useful reference to translate to tabletop.

Suggestions?

dumpan zoids in the meantime.

Man, I would absolutely love to have a Zoids tabletop game of some sort.

That was my shit growing up.

I like the idea of using hexes, that would make finding distance for different weapons pretty easy.

Would be awesome to have a system with a decent degree of customization for your Zoids. Maybe not too much (like...fuckin' Armored Core. No need to stat out fuckin' radiators.), but definitely being able to swap out weapon/armor/utility modules on different hardpoints on the Zoids.

I'd vote for a dice pool v. fixed target number system, personally. Easy to work with as a designer, fun for players.

>dice pool v. fixed target number system
care to elaborate?

Ever played Shadowrun or nWoD?
Because, basically what they do.

Add up some numbers, roll that number of dice, count your 'hits' (SR, for example, counts 5 and 6) against some target number - either a fixed number for common tasks, or a contested roll if the action involves another party.

bump

Look at the dozen different mecha games out there for ideas.

Battle Century Zero is just a normal grid instead of hexs, but I don't see why you couldn't do zoids with it. Actually, I' pretty sure you could. Maybe I'll actually try to test it out and stat one in it.

I meant Battle Century G. That's the name of the system. Obviously Battle Century Zero is one of the Zoids shows.

You mean New Century Zero

Not sure how this would perform in actual play, but I tried to accurately make a standard Gun Sniper in Battle Century G as a proof of concept for doing Zoids in it. Gun Sniper was because it is my favorite and a common/popular Zoid.

98 points

Might 5
Guard 3
Threshold 3
Energy 3
Systems 4
Speed 5

Core:
Head: Bite (CQC),
Arms: Beam Gattling Guns (Vulcans), Strike Claws (CQC)
Legs: Strike Anchor Claws (CQC)
Torso: Over Booster, Sniper Model, 8 Shot Missile Pod x 2 (Anti-Air Missiles), Beam Launcher (Beam Rifle)
Tails: Sniper Rifle

Battle Century G is too bland.

Can you try to expand on that? Like, as in you think a generic system couldn't handle zoids? If so, why? Or just some kind of problem you've had while playing in the system? I'd just like to head more because I have no idea what to make of a statement that incredibly vague.

While I have yet to try a mech game due to lack of people, what about Melton Zeta? Doesn't that have customizable design? Also, could swear I saw stuff for a battletech thing, but no idea if it is any good...

pick up solaris skunk werks for megamek. design quads to suit your void profile and theme. play battletech with zoids

Pic of my bedside table.
Zoids legacy is a pretty good base, stats wise imo but you would have to mine it for data

I'd run it on a huge hex mat using BattleTech rules.

Custom stats for the Zoids of course, I'd work through the series one at a time and release the stats in series batches if I were hypothetically to release this as a fan project.

What the fuck? Never seen one like that

Why does my gun sniper not look nearly as good as that model?

Mekton Zeta and the Mekton Zeta Plus expansion use hexes for combat and explicitly include the rules for creating animal-based mechs (as well as sentient mechs, if you want some wild Zoids).

>No need to stat out fuckin' radiators
But heat and stress management was a critical plot point for the Liger Zero and its armor variants.