Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?

Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marauder_(vehicle)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaching_round
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because shotguns excel against soft targets, which zombies. are.

ask /k/

Literally "let's use the warp to power the world" the anime

Really depends on the zombies. If they're the kind who infect you via their gore, then shotguns are a bad choice. Likewise if they're magic zombies that don't care if they have a head or not. For zombies like that, you want a polax to break their legs so you can run like fuck.

>polax

>polearm meme

Just hit them with a fucking bat, you tool.

It's not. A lightweight melee weapon and a pistol is ideal. Revolvers are nice because of the ease of maintenance.

>melee weapon
>effective against something at it's most dangerous when it's close

You wouldn't hunt a lion with a tomahawk.

Revolvers are like fucking clockwork, revolvers are reliable is a Hollywood meme that accidentally into real gun thought as a true urban legend.. But its not, revolvers are shit. Pistols are shot too. Why wouldn't you use a long arm? You're retarded

This. And the spread reduces the need for accuracy. It also does more damage at close range and can potentially hit multiple targets if they group together.

>Revolvers
>Ease of Maintenance

The revolver meme is about them being reliable. Revolvers are built like a clock internally.

Semi-automatic pistols like the Glock are stuuuupid easy to field strip in comparison.

And stopping power. Most pistols don't actually have enough force to make a person fall down - they do it on their own through shock. A shotgun though will knock a man on his ass.

Most are relatively robust and easy to come by. They also blast larger than average holes in soft targets. Because of this you can sever the spine or pop the brain with less effort while using less ammo than an automatic.

they also look really cool.

Revolvers are simple and the mechanisms that move it are usually designed to not impacted by the gun firing. Single action revolvers literally have less than two dozen parts, including retaining pins and grip plates, and of those only the trigger, a leaf spring or two, the hammer, and the cylinder actually move.
That being said, longarms are better.

Shotgun spread is also a Hollywood meme. Google box o truth shotgun

Shotguns are more accurate than pistols.

This is important. Penetration isn't that useful against something that doesn't bleed or require its internal organs.

>you want a gun that is easy to disassemble

>because it breaks often enough that you need to be able to easily disassemble it

:^)

>the spread reduces the need for accuracy
>can potentially hit multiple targets if they group together
You need to lay off the vidya. Shotgun spread, even without any sort of a choke, really is NOT that extreme.
You field strip a firearm in order to clean it, dumbass.

>You field strip a firearm in order to clean it, dumbass.

>[:^) INTENSIFIES]

Are you so blinded by your own self-centered "intelligence" to not recognize humor?

With any weapon except a shotgun you need to be aiming directly at the head to score a one-shot kill. With a shotgun, you don't need to be quite such the good shot to hit the head. The difference between scoring a headshot with a pistol vs a shotgun is about the same as trying to hit bottle on a wall at twenty paces using a baseball vs using a basket ball. It's a decent improvement.
Personally though, I'd prefer a tank. Wouldn't even fire the gun, I'd just drive over anything that got in the way.

>obvious joke

>REEEE SUPER CEREAL!!

>dude it was a joke

>LOL PREEEETENDING TO BE REEEETARDED

I don't see how you think you aren't proving my point.

Doesn't need to be extreme. Even a spread of a couple inches is a boon to to your odds of hitting something as opposed to a close miss.

>I'd just drive over anything that got in the way.

This is how you foul and damage your tracks.

>I'd prefer a tank. Wouldn't even fire the gun, I'd just drive over anything that got in the way.
You would break track and be without transportation within a WEEK, user.

Because you're wrong, crossbows are the best.

Fine, then I'd have a wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier.
Like this thing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marauder_(vehicle)

They're not. 7.62x54r and .308 are the best for zombie hunting. But really, all that matters is that it's more powerful than .22lr, is common where you are, and isn't prohibitively large (you know, like your 3/4" bore shitgun).

They're not really, it's just that shotguns are common among civilians, which zombie media protagonists typically are.

>You would break track and be without transportation within a WEEK, user.

Well, by then, the zombie apocalypse should be long over, so I don't see the problem.

40" spread is kind of a lot, and 20 yards isn't very far.

I think a simple spear would prolly be your best beat. Makes no noise and you can keep the bastards at a distance. Firearms are a last resort kind of thing.

It's a lot less than it is in video games or media.

But this
Or just an assault rifle or battle rifle, depending on zombie rules.

Personally I'm a fan of pistol caliber carbines.
A 9mm or .45 round to the head is gonna kill a zombie dead, just as good as buckshot, and the things are pretty easy to get good hits with.
They're significantly lighter than a shotgun and shells.
Magazines make for faster reloading in combat should the need arise, no fumbling with shells.
Pic related's pretty easy to throw toether, less thank $1k all told. $850 for the pistol setup Scorpion, and anywhere from $50 to $100 for any of the "arm brace" products on the market that don't legally count as a stock, saving you from having to pay a $300 tax stamp.

Aside from the previously posted benefits vs soft targets shotgun shells, both 12 and 16 gauge, are very common. Go into any sporting goods store that sells firearms and there will be shotgun shells. The only other calibres that I can make the same statement for are 9mm parabellum and some flavor of 22 rimfire.

Also in a pinch you can use it to shoot locks off doors and shit.

>and some flavor of 22 rimfire.
And do keep in mind, this can actually be kind of a bitch to find, because it often gets bought up as soon as it arrives.
>Also in a pinch you can use it to shoot locks off doors and shit.
That's actually a REALLY bad idea with normal loads. Lots of flying shrapnel, the shot itself, et cetera, means you've got a good chance to hurt yourself.
Door breaching is done with these bad boys.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaching_round
Shotguns are WONDERFULLY versatile, having a round for just about any use imaginable, but the trick is having those rounds on-hand when you need them.

Why do people think shooting point blank at locks is a good idea?

>A 9mm or .45 round to the head is gonna kill a zombie dead
I'll agree with .45, I'd triple tap with 9mm though. That said, I see no reason to use a carbine over a bullpup rifle if you have access to a wide selection of firearms, and if you're limited to the sporting goods section of your local Walmart I'd probably take a Nagant over anything else they'd have there.

Quite a few reasons. In no particular order:

1. Ammo is easily available.
2. Easy to maintain.
3. High stopping power. A shotgun will knock a zombie down fairly easily even if it doesn't kill.
4. Very effective against soft targets, ie zombies. Especially crucial with zombies, really. A pistol might kill if you hit just tight, otherwise you just expended a bullet and alerted nearby zombies to put a useless hole in it. A shotgun can dismember if it doesn't kill, and a shot to the head or face pretty much guarantees sufficient brain damage to kill.
5. Solid accuracy, especially with slugs. The whole spread thing is a meme.

The main reason honestly is just how devastating a shotgun is to an unarmored human. Regular people die just as effectively if you put a small hole in them, so a shotgun blast is often superfluous. But a zombie needs pretty severe damage to take down, so a shotgun is just the thing.

You can use a shotgun to blast apart a door lock. Provided the door is wood, and you have breaching rounds.

>The whole spread thing is a meme.
According to , it spreads to the diameter of a large pizza at the range of half a pool length.

Forget it, user. It's /k/.
Their sense of humor got shot off during the war.
You know, the war they didn't actually fight in but pretend they did?

>I'd triple tap with 9mm though
Why? I mean good quality hollowpoint 9mm will still tear out pretty much the entire brainstem with proper shot placement.
>I see no reason to use a carbine over a bullpup rifle
Weight and size. That little Scorpion loaded weighs a hair over half what an SA80 does loaded, it's TINY (23 inches long with a sig brace, if you do the paperwork to put the actual stock on it and make it an SBR, it comes in at 16 inches with the stock folded) and you can fit more rounds for it in your bag.
Plus it costs like half what a good quality bullpup would.

Admittedly, I'm also generally biased against bullpups due to muh anecdotal evidence. Most of the ones I've personally shot have had lousy triggers (I'm sure there are plenty with good triggers, but I've never had the pleasure to shoot one), and since I trained with and used conventional layout rifles for a long time, bullpup reloading feels super awkward for me.

That's not like how it is in video games where if the bad guy isn't 5' away from you or less, you may as well not even be shooting him.

>Full: This choke has tight constriction and a dense pattern, delivering approximately 70 percent of a shell's total pellets in a 30-inch circle at 40 yards. It's often used for trap shooting, waterfowl pass shooting, turkey hunting and buckshot loads.

30" at 40 yards definitely requires you to aim, that is a very small fraction of what you can see at 40y. You're not going to 'just hit' someone with your magic shotgun spread by pointing in his general direction. You need to actually aim. That's what I meant by spread is a meme. It doesn't spread to cover the whole fucking 90 degree arc infront of you with death 5' away from you.

It delivers a tight group of lead balls exactly where you point it in a very predictable manner.

And each shot isn't death, you want most of them to hit.

And you are not physically pushing the target over with a shotgun anymore than with any other gun. You are still standing up and shooting it from your shoulder, and it's not knocking you over is it? And you have the added effect of the jet of propellant gas pushing back as well as the projectile itself.

Pic related-- 33" spread.

Good play if you have powder rounds. Bad if you're using anything else.

Shotguns are often thought best cause its traditional. Think Ash, the marine in Doom, etc. Makes a cool *clik-KLAK* when pumped also.

I prefer boar spears to keep them at range, H&K smgs with 9mm HP cause brains are scrambled eggs yo, and incendaries.

I would say that if the zombie is half a football field away it's not worth shooting. Might as well just avoid it instead.

It's not like there are points or exp or even loot for shooting them.

So at even closer ranges there is less spread and you still need to aim

>costs like half what a good quality bullpup would.
Everything costs the same in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
>Admittedly, I'm also generally biased against bullpups
XK8 is a bullpup conversion of the Daewoo K2, which is the lovechild of the M16 and AK. It's pretty much the perfect weapon.

Melee weapons don't run out of ammo.

True, but guns don't require being in arm's reach if the flesh-eating monster. Which turns you into one if it so much as bites you.

A knife is useful and I'd certainly want one, but if you're so concerned about ammo you should just be avoiding zombies instead of fighting them.

If you saw a rabid dog on the street you wouldn't fucking charge it with a search and rescue knife.

Boarspears, user. Get enough people together to form a phalanx and you can slaughter undead hordes until you collapse from dehydration.

>implying I will ever run out of ammo

>create pike phalanx to fight undead
top fucking kek, this needs to happen

Aim, yes, but you don't have to aim as well as you would with a pistol or a rifle. There's a reason that shotguns are used for hunting, and were used for trench clearing. Try hitting a clay pigeon with a pistol.

>shotgun
>knocking down the target
If it doesn't knock you down firing it, it won't knock down the target.

>Don't worry ma'am, we're from the zombie relieve force

Why in gods name would you take a long, heavy, bolt action rifle over a compact semi-automatic carbine firing far more common ammunition in a survival situation? Especially a zombie one.

Also .45 is not more effective than 9mm.

>Best
Because someone created this cliche. In all honesty, any magazine-fed gun will be better.

And any magazine-fed long arm will be better. Meaning all kinds and types of rifles that happen to use mags win. Bonus points for ability to fire semi and full auto.
Because unlike what Hollywood might taught you, short controlled bursts are the best way to not only fire automatic weapons, but also deadly effective AND ACCURATE

Actually zombies do have loot. Useful tools or even money if people still use them

Money does not tend to survive being washed in bleach to kill zombie virus well.

How well would a P90 fare against Zombies?

that's not a phalanx

>a bat
>a fucking bat

I don't have a reaction image good enough to describe how fucking stupid stupid you are so I'll just break it down for you.

Why the fuck would you use a bat against something that can't feel pain? Sure, you might break a couple of bones but that would only slow them down at best. Whereas, with a single swing of a halberd you could sever at least one leg, stopping it dead in its tracks, at twice the reach of the bat. Plus, you get to carry around a sexy as fuck halberd all day. Other female survivors would be throwing themselves at you to get dat sweet polearm, if you know what I mean.

Fucking amateurs, I swear.

Compact and a high capacity but without the AP rounds you will never find as a civilian its just a less lethal AR that will be hard to find parts/ammo for.

Higher magazine capacity than your average assault rifle, not nearly as heavy and unwieldy as other weapons with drum or box fed ammo, so probably really really well. You don't need stopping power against a decomposing corpse. Personally I'd think a P90 would be the best anti zombie weapon, but then I have loved the things ever since I saw them on SG1 as a kid.

Yes, because loud noises don't attract attention or anything.

You're right, it's better than a phalanx.

>obvious joke

Is a joke obvious if nobody finds it funny? Anyways, pretending to be retarded is still pretending to be retarded, if you're doing it to make other people laugh, or yourself.

Vector .45 > P90

Still, a good choice

This user gets it.

The best weapon against zombies are maces and etc...

You just need a trained unit of people in bite proof biohazard suits with polearms. Zombies won't have a chance.

They aren't. Low capacity, slow to reload, poor range even with slugs. A suppressed AR-15 with subsonic ammo would be best.

>whole squad has to walk in phalanx just to get to the battlefield
Really user?

>not going full Rambo on the zombies
Do you even Zombie Apocalypse user?

> potentially hit multiple targets
Not "load with a solid slug and maybe penetrate through to the zombie behind the primary target".
It's so funny I went inside and stayed there for 6 months without needing to use a weapon until the zombies fell apart from decomposition, scavengers and the weather.

The only anons who understands how stupid the whole concept is.

>Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?
Because zombie stuff is written by spastics that have only fired shotguns and bolt action rifles.

Get a 50 on the cunts, it'll take off arms, legs, heads out to huge ranges and fuck all their shit up so bad they'll wish they stayed dead.

>phalanx
the greek one or the macedonian one? either of the two sucks, since it got destroyed by a bunch of unwashed latins wielding shitty shortswords

Your quads are nice, but wouldn't the zombie's lack of any creativity or cunning increase the effectiveness of the phalanx?

Nor do they carry pikes.

>thinks the cohort legion fights in phalanx formation
Really user?

No, it's not a phalanx because because the Romans stopped using a hoplite-style phalanx after the Marian Reform (107BC). And the equipment in the photo clearly places them atleast a century (c.7BC+) after that due to the presence of Lorica Segmentata.

And even if they were pre-Marian Romans, the hoplite-phalanx was used by the Triari who suprisingly look a lot like Greek Hoplites in term of equipment. Which these guys don't, The Romans never adopted the Macedonian style pike phalanx at all.

So no, these guys are never going to be a phalanx even when they stop marching.

The zombies are in general going to be a problem decidedly different from the one the phalanx tried to be an answer too.

Why would anybody take a gun in the first place. Just hijack the nearest car and run them over. Rinse and repeat.

>Romans stopped using a hoplite-style phalanx after the Marian Reform (107BC)

Jesus Christ, no. The Romans stopped using the phalanx over two centuries before that fighting the Samnites. The rough, hilly terrain meant the phalanx wouldn't hold formation and as a result not be as effective at best, or vulnerable at worst. That's why they adopted the Maniple system.

The Marian reforms were about creating a professional standing army, transitioning away from the previous incarnation where each soldier was to pay for his own equipment.

Read a fucking history book once in a while. Or at least wikipedia.

Cars run out of fuel. And if vidya gaems have taught me anything, they explode after so many hits.

As said by someone who has never handled s revolver

>a weapon that doesn't deal anything but light damage and the hardest gun to use properly.
A flintlock musket and chain mail is 1200% better. Flintlocks are incredibly reliable, and we use chai mail to prevent *shark* bites.

Underrated

Cars don't run well after constantly hitting 70kg+ piles of meat, while bullets are actually designed for that.

>all that matters is that it's more powerful than .22lr
I'd rather spray burst of .22LR than have a semi-automatic 9mm.

Fucking Christ, I go off /k/ for one thread and this is what I get

First of all, it's $200 for a SBR tax stamp. You also have to make your gun 922r compliant. WHICH IS ALL IRRELEVANT.

They introduced a new model in "rifle" form so you can use it for it's intended purpose without having to SBR it and swap for American made parts to achieve 922r compliance.

You know what is the best weapon against zombies?

Smarts. Smarts and a sturdy baseball bat

This user's a faget.

Sit in the bed of a truck with a friend behind the wheel and take potshots at them with a .22. No ammo problems, plenty deadly with a headshot, and your friend can drive you away if they catch on.

If you don't have a friend, let's be honest you're probably already dead. Every faggot on the internet thinks he's gonna be a lone wolf survivalist until he falls out of a tree or trips over some rebar and dies of something retarded.

A metal coat stand is the ultimate improvised Anti-zombie weapon

>Not too heavy
>Has reach
>Can hook shuffling zombie legs and trip them up
>Can prop against a door
>Easily customizeable, can hang burning cloth on the end
>If it breaks it loses very little utility
>Can hang shit from it so your things don't have to lay on the floor

This. Armor is the best zombie weapon.

ITT: Absolute fuckwits.

>using melee weapons on things that are most dangerous in melee
>using melee weapons on things with infections bodily fluids
>carrying spears and fucking halberds and shit around while you're trying to survive

This is a joke right, people can't actually be this retarded can they?

>Flintlocks are incredibly reliable
Yeah, so long as it isn't a slightly humid day.