Fantasy world has orcs, goblins, kobolds...

>Fantasy world has orcs, goblins, kobolds, and other misc creatures that can never be compatible with humanity or "good" races like elves and dwarves
>They're a constant problem

Meanwhile, in our world

>Humans wiped out Neanderthals before even using agriculture

So the question is, how do we justify the fact that these creatures still exist? Do they just spawn from the very earth if their numbers dwindle too much, like the old myth about flies and other lifeforms?

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>Humans wiped out Neanderthals

Actually recent studies suggest that we just fucked them out of existence.

Almost everyone of European decent has some Neanderthal in their blood. Shit the person with most was an asian man with 8.8% shared DNA with Neanderthal.

So are orcs, goblins, and kobolds too ugly to fuck into extinction?

Well in my opinion the Neanderthals are evil.

Humans will fuck anything, Viable offspring just won't be produced in all likelyhood.

Neanderthal was actually just a subspecies of the main branch Homo sapiens. Who knows what the fuck an orc is?

It's usually because of a combination between being very distant from each other and divine intervention. Corellon has gone on the record beating the shit out of the Gruumish when the orcs tried killing the elves. And when it comes to dwarves, they usually started underground and came to the surface, or was already mountain dwellers, making them a hard target for genocide.

Settle down, Annie.

Well, we don't really have to justify it. The genre's not exactly 100% realistic. Not only are there other sentient species, but there is magic, gods actively influencing and interacting with the world, and a fair number of creatures native to this world and various other worlds who would see the population of this one dominated, slaughtered, or corrupted. If you really want to justify every little thing and explain it in detail, more power to you.

Also, with the spawning from the earth thing, that would probably be kinda accurate. Each species usually has a pantheon of gods or a patron god that would probably go out of their way to recreate that species if enough of them died out.

Nah, we just can't procreate with goblins and Kobolds, doesn't mean we aren't fucking them though! And if you look at all the inter-marriage, rapes, and harems that Orcs and humans have of each other you'd know that was already happening.

A miserable pile of tusks.

I slaughtered them. Not just the men. But the women. And the children. LIKE ANIMALS!

It's magic.

Yeah, that's pretty bad shit Annie. But you were in a pretty dark place at the time. Look, you should probably talk to Obi-Wan. He's your mentor, and pretty much your best friend. Having someone like that to talk to can be a big help in these situations.

Maybe there's MAD between us. Maybe everyone realized that continued escalations might mean the destruction of them and no one wanted to take that risk. Maybe that's why most conflict is relegated to gangs and skirmishes and not armies and warfare.

He treats me like a child. And he refuses to acknowledge my power. I HATE HIM!

Neanderthals just melded with humans, and considering they could have viable offspring with humans I don't know why we even call them a separate species, because if that restriction no longer applies I have some other claims to make about human speciation.

Let's release a bomb that makes all those species fully capable of breeding with humans, that why we have wizards, right?

Seems like a thinly veiled HFY thread, but I'll bite.

Humans didn't simply kill all the Neanderthals, it was a long process of interbreeding for strong traits and shunning that created what we would refer to as the 'modern' human, but this is only possible because of a close genetic match and a close enough appearance not to automatically trip the 'It's different, drive it away' instinct in our ancestors.

In a world with a diverse cast of races, all of whom (we are assuming) have roughly equal levels of sapience and do not occupy the same niches, there's absolutely zero reason humanity would wipe everything out. For example, kobolds and goblins live in caves. Why would the early humans actively attempt to wipe the kobolds and goblins out when they have essentially nothing to gain from it?

So basically, incompatability and different societal niches lead to isolation, which leads to multiple races being able to prosper on the same world without stepping on each other's toes too much.

Because humans are not the dominant species yet. Also, humans never had to deal with equally advanced species. (Most of the time, humans are the youngest race.)

We'll wipe them out in time, it'll just take several thousand years.

>"Wizard, the Swamp Beast still stalks our lands, devouring our people and befouling our fields. I hope you know what to do."
>"Of course sire, I shall put out a call to the bravest knights in the land to-"
>"What, no no no. Wizard, I want you to work your magic and make it so that I may fuck the Swamp Beast into submission."
>"At once sire."

...and that, prince, is why you have tentacles.

Donkeys and horses are different species but can still breed mules. Capacity for breeding has nothing to do with whether two species are different from one another.

>A species is often defined as the largest group of organisms in which two individuals are capable of reproducing fertile offspring, typically using sexual reproduction.
How does that have nothing to do with breeding?

Mules are always infertile.

More like, why would humans still exist and why haven't races with far superior physical attributes or that reached an higher level of civilization before humans, not wiped out all those pesky cave-dwelling pink-skinned round-ears?
Other than a silly HFY scenario in which humans are somehow able to come out on top despite every race being comparably as intelligent at them if not more and far stronger too.

This seems like a really good place to go full on /pol/ trolling, but that would be too easy, so I'll spare you.

Veeky Forums can't be trolled.

Yes, and?
>Capacity for breeding has nothing to do with whether two species are different from one another.
was the part that is retarded

/b/ can't be trolled. Veeky Forums is easy to troll, if you know what the weak spots are (hint, editions, THAT GUY-threads etc)

> Tosses crude skull cup full of grog

Ahuh. Please do tell me more about the man who has practically raised you and loves you like a son and how you hate him because his many years caring for you colour his perceptions of you.

>this pleb doesn't hate his father

What kind of a man are you?

> This pleb does hate his father.

The kind with a loving and caring father. Enjoy your bitter superiority of having a crappy dad!

My dad's a great dad, and he raised me properly to one day take his place. Hate and love go together hand in hand, and a proper father who pushes you to be better than you are inspires both.

Mmmmmm...nope. That's not how that works. Your emotions are either very strange or you are getting resentment mixed up with hatred.

>So the question is, how do we justify the fact that these creatures still exist?
We justfity by telling our setting is not hard fantasy.

Yes, there is a sub-genre of fantasy that deal with those kind of question, by making sure they are solved, or making sure whateaver the hell would happen on those situations, happens

>LIKE ANIMALS!
PROTIP:THEY ARE ANIMALS, YOU ARE ONE TOO, BUT IF YOU NOT COUNT HOMO SAPIENS SAPIENS AS ANIMALS, EVEN IN THIS CASE THEY ARE ANIMAIS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HOMO SAPIENS SAPIENS

Actually, I think Africans and Aboriginals are the only ones entirely without Neanderthal genes effectively making them proto-humans

>Donkeys and horses are different species but can still breed mules.

You are wrong and right at the same time.
You are just using the word species wrongly, the word you want is another one.
You are wrong just by semantics, if you changed specie with the right word that means what you are trying to say, you would be right

ITT people who have no idea about evolution and how race and specie are not black and white definitions.

Oh Annie, that's makes me so horny. Too bad I'm a senator and our love can never be allowed to blossom.

Look, man, the duty of any parent is to make you grow up happy and/or successful not make themselves lovable. If you ended up extremely happy and successful you probably had a father that did good by you (if only as an example of what not to do). There is essentially no level situation where intense contentment is bad. Loving your parents to the point of over reliance is, however, quite common and a negative contributor to quality of life.

Ligers can reproduce. So can Grolar bears.
Chimps are closer genetically than neanderthals were.
Species in practice is about genetic closeness

Fantasy

>The genre's not exactly 100% realistic.

First generation ligers are, in general, infertile. There were a few that WERE capable of breeding, and those were bred, and so on.

a better example is the coywolf

economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes

I always thought that the point was that Obi-Wan wasn't in a parental position to Anakin.

Like, the Master-padawan relationship was meant to be a surrogate parent-child relationship, with the master stern but caring, pushing the padawan onwards and also acting as a confidante, but always from a position of authority.

By contrast, the age gap between Obi-Wan and Anakin is so small that they're more like siblings than a parent and child. Thus you get Obi-wan's weird switching between being a stern mentor figure but also trying to be the friendly older-brother character towards Anakin.

Such a contrast would probably give rise in Anakin to deep feelings of insecurity and inadequacy w.r.t Obi-Wan, especially once Obi-Wan started getting inducted into the Council. It'd explain a lot of why Anakin was so psychologically messed up.

Of course, the problem with this is that between TPM being too focused on the Qui-gon and Obi-Wan's relationship and Obi-Wan and Anakin being separated early in AotC, we didn't get to see them together enough for it to become really clear.

It's yet another example of the great story that the prequels could have been.

Africans are the real pure race?

Haha /pol/ is gonna love this.

>Chimps are closer genetically than neanderthals were.

Wait, are you telling me I could fuck a monkey and it would actually be capable of producing offspring?

>Play setting
>Very early Enlightenment
>Fantasy creatures on their last legs as kingdoms got their shit together
>Last Werewolf is the Beast of Gevaudan equivalent
>Science increasingly invalidates Magic
>Players are beast hunters rapidly losing jobs

Fun times were had. Barry Lyndon makes a great Vampire

No, neanderthals just have more differences in their genetic structure than chimps do. It just that genetic differences is only indirectly related to the ability of two different species to produce offspring