>1994
>Sigil, capital of the multiverse
>where majestic celestials and menacing fiends, towering dragons and teensy faeries, woeful wraiths and energetic elementals, polyhedral clockwork constructs and chaos-shrouded giant frogs, magical beasts and aberrations with shapes plucked from a madman's fever dreams, and multifarious other creatures cavort
>the most powerful information broker in the city is literally a transgendered fox-furry daemon-wizard, Shemeshka the Marauder
>other faction leaders include black-skinned and Asian-looking people

>fast forward to 2015
>"Sig: The City Between," ripoff of Sigil
>"A diverse fantasy setting where the eternal planes and infinite primes meet."
>judging by the cover art, mostly just humans, elves, and tieflings
>"diverse"
>but we added more black people and Asians!

O-Okay. Judging a book by its cover is shallow, I know, but a cover sets a tone.
What went wrong?

What are you? Racists?

But its got a fat ginger for the Tumblr crowd, user! It's a recipe for success!

The Factol of the Harmonium is black. This shit's literally less diverse than the original.

I wish both sides of the culture war would just start shooting each other already, so we don't get threads like this anymore.

>Like in Spark RPG, the game has a strong setup where character creation is tied into setting creation.

>The city of Sig is always connected to three of the fifteen available Planes. You can either choose which are the starting Planes or roll them randomly.

>There are five inner Planes (the Elemental ring: Flame, Waves, Wind, Stone, Ice), five outer Ideological Planes (Justice, Tyranny, Destruction, Order, and Freedom) and finally five Planes in the middle (conceptual Planes: Dreams, Shadow, Lore, Life and Death).

>The city also has portals and other gateways to the different Prime Worlds which are the “normal” native worlds and allow you to plug in other settings.

What is the point of "Sig" being the center of the multiverse if it connects only to three planes plus mortal worlds?

What's the point of Sig if it has way fewer Planes than the original did?

They don't sound nearly as interesting either, and I'm willing to bet they nowhere near as ogre/onion-like as the original set.

>Fine with Human sub cultures but not Orcs, Goblins, Dwarves, and Elves.

Gee, racist much? When will you stop being the most intolerant board Veeky Forums?

Remember, diversity only counts for real-world races.

...Original setting was shit.

Terrible ripoff twenty years later will also be shit.
Don't see what there is to discuss, political hangups or no (and fuck, I can't even tell what user's political hangups *are*. That's how retarded this shit has gotten on both sides.)

The city's even shaped like a mobius strip, just so idiots can screech about how it's "SO TOTALLY DIFFERENT!"

This creatively bankrupt piece of garbage makes me want to vomit. I could pull something better out of my ass.

>muh tumblr
Quality thread right here

originally fat white basement dwelling nerds wanted to pretend to look like hot half demon chicks, robot geometric shapes, and have super powers

now a more diverse gender/race/sex/ethnicity/etc group wants to pretend to be versions of themselves with super powers

markets shift

Hey man, that's all well and good. I'm 110% for new people getting into RPGs. But this is just disgusting. Not for the "muh diversity" stuff, but because of the fact that it's devoid of all creativity, effort, and soul. They took Sigil and stripped out basically everything that made it interesting and fun. I mean, fuck, even the name of the thing is two letters away from what it's ripping off. They couldn't even be assed to think of something different. It's lazy, plain and simple.

>now a more diverse gender/race/sex/ethnicity/etc group wants to pretend to be versions of themselves with super powers

But you could already do all that (and much more!) in the original Planescape. If this book is anything like its cover art suggests, it seems like they decided to make a knockoff version of Planescape that focuses specifically on playing all the different palette swaps of boring old humanoids, at the expense of all the other myriad possibilities of the setting, and call it a step up.

If people want to play a wizard black guy that's fine. They could have done so easily in Planescape and it would have fit right in. They could also have played many, many other character archetypes, red and yellow, black and white, and fucking green and blue and hot pink and chartreuse.

That was a big part part of the appeal of Planescape.

It looks like this book thinks that removing the options to play chartreuse wizards would make Planescape more welcoming to people who wanted to play black wizards. How is that supposed to make sense?

>The city's even shaped like a mobius strip

wat. The point of Sigil being a super closed in donut is that that way the GM doesn't have to describe or figure out what it looks like to be standing on a floating donut hovering an infinite distance above an infinitely tall mountain in the center of the infinitely large outlands.

> No planar races, especially no lower planar races, on the cover.
Racist as fuck. Sigil was much more open-minded, not batting an eye at a pit fiend strolling down the street.

>wasting the front cover with NPCs.

anyone got a copy of this thing? Wanna see if they have The Lady.

Pathfinder was successful and that was a mechanical ripoff.

>all this fucking positivity bullshit

Who are the faggots who wrote and designed the artistic sensibilities for this piece of garbage?

Sigil is a SHITTY place that is basically a neutral version of Baator in a lot of ways. It's full of oppression and "fuck you, I got mine" tropes. If anyone is smiling on a cover, they should be smiling while stepping on someone else.

Fuck, I'm jaded and not much bothers me anymore, but seeing the tumblr crowd subvert Planescape fills me with a white-hot rage.

they're clearly exiting from the ginormous VAGINA DOOR on the front of the festhall, after participating in a massive polysexual orgy.

Closest I could find is a beta version of the core rulebook (which, I assume, is not redundant with this book so as to increase profits). This shit is shit.

Just as two examples:
>Verbal X-Cards
>Being a GM as a stat

>Game "moderator" instead of game master
>"The text will always refer to the GM with the feminine pronouns (she/her) to make the examples more clear, but a GM may be of any gender."

I'm on like the first couple pages of rules and already laughing/cringing

Aw fuck, I went over to the next page and it's got a surveillance camera icon next to a heading titled "Setting Boundaries".

Is this a parody?

Considering that there's actual reviews of it out there, I don't think so. Maybe they chose the image better in the release version. Probably not, considering the minimal level of self-awareness they seem to have.

That's different. Mechanics are universal, and they added and tweaked a ton of shit. This is like Pathfinder taking Eberron, tweaking it just enough so nobody gets sued, taking out most of the stuff that made it cool, and calling it Eber.

No, but it should have been.
The game equates animal abuse with ethnic cleansing.
There is a verbal X card.
But what strikes me the most is that the game assumes you will play yourself, or only play your (read: system developers) morality.

Huh, the stuff on making your own setting and factions isn't bad though.

Does it work well for Sigil?

Anyone got a PDF of sig there?

Other people's opinions are fine, but I trust my own.

Doesn't seem to be in any of the major RPG piracy places.

All these degenerate progressives rpgs make me smile, knowing they will never be capable of making a fun game out of their retarded culture.

Ugh.

I don't know what makes me more mad, the fact that they're going to make a place as awesome as Sigil bland as fuck or the fact that that generic ass art is attempting to replace the masterwork of Tony DiTerlizzi.

It's pretty universal

>>Game Moderator
>>Protagonist Characters
>>Please Try Another Way

Holy fuck my sides.

Probably because no one would even want to pirate it.

The whole thing sounds like a huge practical joke.

So is this small-time garbage that will die in obscurity? Is it something people know about but hate?

Like, you guys are complaining but I'm not sure if this is something other people will actually give a shit about, it looks like a poorly thought-out ripoff that spends more time jerking itself off for diversity than making a compelling setting.

>Example
>Angela: How would people feel about playing a Hard game? We are in private and I’m comfortable with all of you.
>Brian: Adult subject matter is fine by me.
>Chris and Dave agree.

"Hard Game" sounds absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. This seems to assume that people cannot communicate like civilized humans.

>Example
>Dave: I would personally be interested in dealing with the sensitive topic of slavery. Would each of you be comfortable with this?
>Chris: So long as it’s a story about slaves fighting for their freedom, that’s fine by me.
>Angela and Brian agree, and they move forward.

Okay, so one guy wants to include slaves in the story, but because of another guy it can ONLY be about slaves fighting for their freedom? There can never just BE, slavery, it must always be slaves revolting? That's such an awful and shallow way to use slavery in your game, I feel like I'm gonna puke. It's like they can't allow bad things to happen at all!

>Please Try Another Way
>Sometimes during play, people make decisions that make others uncomfortable or detract from the fun of the game.
> In response to any declaration, anyone can say, “Please try another way.” When this happens, the other person must make a different declaration so you can move forward with the game.
>You don’t need to justify or explain why you might use that key phrase, just acknowledge it, and move forward. If you want to chat about it, that works well after the game.

What the FLYING FUCK is this shit? If you don't know what you did wrong, how are you supposed to know how to avoid it? It'll end up being really awkward whenever it's used.

> NeoNippon: The War of Writhing Blossoms

That's it, I'm fucking done.

This is irredeemable garbage.

Ok, now let's adapt 40K into a share-your-feelings story game.

>heavy emphasis on communication and keeping things inclusive
>NEW JAPANESE CHING CHONG CHERRY FLOWERS

holy shit people do not talk like that what the fuck

Their facial expressions freak me out. They look like they're in the peaceful and infinitely smug bliss of a multicultural paradise

For what it's worth, that was probably done to eliminate any potential for miscommunication, or at least to make it easy to read for people who aren't neurotypical.

>>"The text will always refer to the GM with the feminine pronouns (she/her) to make the examples more clear, but a GM may be of any gender."

You know Whitewolf was doing this shit since the 90's right?

And Whitewolf is infamously cringeworthy.

Actually, White Wolf traditionally uses male pronouns on... odd numbers, and female pronouns on even numbers? Or vice versa, I forget. Or alternating paragraphs.

Fuck you user, that shouldn't have made me laugh as hard as it did.

>Sigil is a SHITTY place that is basically a neutral version of Baator in a lot of ways.

That's actually a negative for me. Everything can't be shit all the time, otherwise whats the point in playing there. A place with moments of good and fun mixed with evil and shit make both mean more by contrast.