Paprika: The RPG

What system would Veeky Forums use for a Paprika RPG? Build it from scratch? Make it freeform? How to translate Paprika's "feel" into pen and paper?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yn7U1KIGeuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U
youtube.com/watch?v=f-71CxM5kQI
makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kons-last-words
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

here you go user. It's literally the system you're looking for.

Pretty good.

>How to translate Paprika's "feel" into pen and paper?
Play on drugs.

>Kon died a slow, painful and quiet death
>that hack Miyazaki is still around
Life's just not fair

Why would you want a system for just one specific spice? Wouldn't a general cooking system be better that treats spice as a particular additive or item.

>hack Miyazaki
Then why don't you join him in death?

>Reading the introduction page
>"[An example of play and sample scenario is] absent altogether because there is no "example of play" that would suffice in demonstration how this game works."

This has to be the most pretentious shlock I've read in months.

Sell me on this system, because the book itself is not doing a very good job at doing so.

>muh spirited away, it won an oscar
That guy is pure style zero substance

He's gone but his work is immortal

youtube.com/watch?v=yn7U1KIGeuQ

Freebase.

>I haven't seen The Wind Rises

Literally kill yourself for your shit opinion.

Never watched paprika. This thread made me torrent. Mexican hungarian jew here, my wife is making chicken paprikash, along with this thread I took it as a sign to watch it tonight. TY user.

you speak spanish?
the spanish dub is surprisingly great

>Play on drugs

You need to be more specific, user. Shrooms? LSD?

Paprikash is fucking delicious. The idea of adding chipolte or other mexican peppers to that could be really good.

Parika is one of the highwater marks of human civilization. It's up there with the Great Wall of China and pizza.

Normality?

Paranoia Agent would make a better setting
youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U

I love the image of the guy standing casually in a suit as he plummets headfirst towards a city.

As for a game you could adapt it, but it would take a lot of work on behalf of the players to come up with an interesting enough psychology and history for their characters.

Also: the "Happy Family Planning" episode is the most brutal thing ever.

By brutal, do you mean the heavy metal/fun kind of brutal, or do you mean depressing and heavy?

Depressing and heavy. Though, it's not even really depressing. It's kind of madcap and slapstick. It's just... well fuck it, see if you agree:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-71CxM5kQI

At least he left an impressive good bye.
Seems he came back from the other side a few times to do so.
makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kons-last-words

Perfect Blue is objectively the best thing he ever did

>The Wind Rises
You're a big critic

Well to be honest, it's sort of true. The systems pretty interpretation heavy as you could have mystery, action, drama, or basically any genre. There are a few play sessions on the Internet though.
>inb4 shill

>Well to be honest, it's sort of true.

Horse shit, all systems are at the end of the day is a means of resolving actions and providing levers for players and GMs to pull at in the gameworld. If you can't even provide an example of it doing that, you've got your head too far up your own ass over what your system is actually supposed to do.

I'll try to look these play sessions up but the red flags are already going up.

Yes.

If Paprika goes well I'll probably follow it up with Paranoia Agent or even Perfect Blue. I picked Paprika first because my group is coming fresh from a (CoC) Silent Hill game in wich they were psychology undergrads in an advanced studies group, trying to fix "lost cases" with experimental therapy. So Paprika is both more familiar and a more upbeat breather game

Millennium Actress was better

Something like Don't Rest Your Head, I think.

>lol this is *so* weird, they must have been on drugs while making it XD

What exactly do you plan for them to do? Just dive into dreams to solve some mystery?

mmmmmm, Paprikash. I make this at least weekly and I'm not even Hungarian. (Lithuanian Jew/Croatian)

I prefer cross cut beef shanks to chicken, but I'll still go chicken now and then.

Damn it... Now I'm hungry.

I don't have anything quite figured out yet, but my initial plan is:
They would start as therapists, and I would make a pool of "patients" with varied mental/emotional problems. They would dive into their dreams to help them. Just your average heartwarming sidequest with the ocasional surreal horror moment.

But, as they go "deeper" into the dream, they would find in every patient a disturbing memory sequence about a highly public, very gory and still unsolved murder, and everyone would be connected to it. A patient would be a traumatized witness, a patient would be the depressed victim's widow, a patient would be the stress-filled detective that investigated the case long ago, and so on. That murder would not be the cause of all their problems, but they would all be connected to it.

As they get closer and closer to what really happened, the patients would start disappearing, and the therapists would receive disturbing real-world letters from what seems to be the murderer.

Then they would have to track down the Paprika version of Kira Yoshikage before he finds them in the dream world.
So... yeah, a mistery. But it would have a lot of just helping NPCs and having fun in the dream world.