MTG lore: Writefriends and Flakes Edition

PREVIOUSLY ON THE FLAKE THREAD

Things happened. The End.

Naaahhhh, there was lots of new flakes and writefagging:

Diomedes and Desdemona Zix lives! Narimi and Gaia continue to have teatime The Lost Torbern Iceclaw Del, Cala, and Murdock Anna, Eustace, and Marion Lord Æeon Tazdir REMINDER:

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder.

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
And I will come.

>Current Repository

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/51fqQnen
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdkNwa3JjTExDeFE&usp=drive_web&tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxWGt6M0JaWmEzZ0U&usp=drive_web&tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Might write a short story about Frances tomorrow. I want to give him a little time in the limelight

do it

Will post more tomorrow, if Musa's user sees this, would it be cool if I used him?

good morning

And how are you this fine morning?

good
just playing through the wheels of lul

Is it storytime? I think it's storytime. This will be the first one-shot featuring my own flakes in order to give more depth to their personalities, thoughts, and methods.
His niche may be a little densely occupied right now, but here's a little story featuring:

>Remes, Dimir Artificer

Rumors.
Rumors are a part of everyday life. Just the right word said at the right time, in the right way can encite all sorts of emotions. Information can be spread, and misinformation just as easily. Rumors beget curiosity. Not curiosities, such as the cloaked man that no one noticed outside of the mansion. That man was quite proficient in finding and spreading rumors, and he had found one that made him curious.

This man was standing in the shadows of the outer wall. He was strange, not just in the sense that one might suggest by looking at him. Kamigawa over, he would have been entirely unrecognizable, even if they could remember what he looked like. This stranger from somewhere else had come in the night seeking something that could supposedly be found within the walls of this noble's home. The rumors that this figure, known by few others as Remes, had heard were that this noble house had recently risen in standing among the other ones. More interestingly, there were a few whispers that the head of the house had used a strange mask to gain advantage over his peers. Such a thing brought out Remes' curiosity. He had resolved to find it and take it for his own study and use.
Such activities weren't new to him. He came quite prepared and always intended to get the job that he set out to do completed in a fashion that would be done efficiently and leave no trace. He pulled his cloak tight around his body; if anyone had been looking at him, he would have seemed to have vanished into thin air.

It was easy enough. As he approached the main gates, he whispered an incantation that carried to the guard's ears and pulled him into a deep slumber. Not wasting any time, he raised a strange, key-like object to the iron lock on the solid, wooden gate. Focusing mana into the keyrune as he turned it, it began to reshape in a fashion that turned the tumblers perfectly, allowing him to quietly slip inside and seal the gate behind him.
Entering the mansion was similarly easy. Remes had already staked out and determined the layout in advance. Surely finding the mask in an inner sanctum would be child's play for him. He should have thought more of the stone plaques adorning the entry hall. When he passed through the doorway into the next hall, he found a pair of eyes on him. The guard staring at him was surprised and quickly reaching to unsheathe his blade. A pointless effort, Remes thought as he whispered another incantation. Though the man tried to draw his sword, he found that it would not budge from its sheathe. Within the next moment, Remes had placed his hand on the guard's head and was muttering a rapid string of words. The guard's eyes rolled back in his head as Remes' hand softly glowed, the new memories of this moments-long encounter being pulled from his mind.
"What an amateur," Remes quietly mused to himself. If the guard had been more intelligent, he might have called out for help the moment that he'd spotted the intruder. It was uncommon for these excursions to come with the added liability of breaking the enchantments on his cloak, and this fellow had wasted the opportunity trying to play the hero. Now that he was aware that he was no longer hidden in such a way, he would have to proceed more cautiously. He allowed the guard to slump uselessly against the wall and continued on his way.

To his surprise, his previous success seemed to not be just a fluke. The guards that he snuck by through the dark corners of the halls often failed to notice him. The few that did found themselves quickly doubting that they had seen anything at all. Before long, he had breached the inner sanctum of the mansion. Remes searched room by room for the mask, to no avail. His presumptions had been incorrect and left only one alternative that he had previously hoped would not be the case: that the noble was keeping the mask in their own private chambers.
He silently entered those chambers and began searching. In that dark, quiet place, the noble lay in a bed enshrouded by curtains. When he thought he had exhausted every hiding place, Remes resolved to simply steal the secret from the nobleman's mind. However, as he went to throw back the curtains, he was suddenly confronted from behind them by a horrifying face. The noble was awake, wearing the mask, and was now attempting to stab him with a short blade. As Remes attempted to gather his thoughts to counter, he found that he had trouble holding the thoughts there. Nearly losing blood a handful of times in short succession, he finally managed to act on a passing through quickly enough that he could execute it before it passed.
When he called the mask into his own hand, he felt its influence leave him immediately. Quickly tucking it into his cloak, he grasped the noble by the throat and drew the breath from his lungs. His opponent, now without air, collapsed back onto the bed in a weakened heap. The cloaked man embedded the short blade into one of the bed posts and then began siphoning the nobleman's memories of his visit, becoming a stranger once more. Leaving him unconcious, the curious fellow took a moment to account for his newest acquisition.

He could very easily have framed any other noble for the theft, but it mattered little to him. Unlike back home, there was little value to doing such a thing here. Instead, he would leave it a curiousity that would beget new rumors. Satisfied, he was quickly gone from that place entirely. Instead of Kamigawa, he was now standing in an equally dark chamber that was more familiar to him. He placed the mask down on the workbench and examined it more properly. This, he thought, could be quite useful.

It is not bad Remes-chan but I think it would be better if stories featured more than one character. It would have been cooler if when Remes was to steal the mask he was faced with another 'walker who had just stolen it.

Just curious, what anons are on?

Selenra/Narimi user here. Buried under a heavy workload the last few days, I intend to pick back up some time this week.

Anna here, pulling a 12.5 hour shift. Will be on around 11

Yaaaay! Take as much time as you need to.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't have any plans right now to do collaborative stories. This is basically just extending off of the character sheet for the time being for my own exploration and for anyone else that might want to know more about my characters.

Which flake would be interested in a plane bound villain working to try and channel all of the plane's mana to ascend to godhood?

Murdock here, trying to write some thing more but I have a ton of stuff to draw. This for people who think drawing is nothing but fun and relax...

Remes, Cala, Jakrol, Winifred user here.

what do you draw? Can you post something?

Comics for the french comcis business, sort of. I am still in training under true comics artists. I did the pic for Murdock myself, though that was a bit rushed.

I can draw too. Wanna have a draw party?

What do you mean?

Is snowstorm ded?

I'm trying my hand at writing something, but it won't be up until much, much later.

It's mother's day so people probably have family time

I dunno. I just like drawing.

No. It's just slowed down. But there's been a lot of writing.

Cianne/Granny but stuck on mobile. If it weren't for timing I woulda jumped into this a lot more.

The creation of new flakes has slowed down so now it's on the more involved part of using them. Expected to be slowed down a bit.

I personally have been really digging all this writing. I can't wait for some more of these walkers to meet up. Fuck current canon. This shit is infinitely more interesting.

Oh yeah, all the writing being done is cool. It's just slower than the easier task of popping out the flakes that got a lot more action.

I should really start writing with my other flake. I've just been focusing on the one and poor Belagir hasn't gotten enough love.

I'm the guy what wrote Rinteller from a while ago, I've still been floating around these threads, and like what I've seen.

What sort of stories would be interesting to read about a walker with nothing on him (barring the original flake sheet) so far?

I dunno, who would you want to write about?

Mostly self-aggrandizing stuff. His spark got a little bit of criticism for not being a stressful enough situation, was thinking about doing something about that.

There's also some material about an urban-soldier type learning from a distance how to survive like the elves that are hunting him.

Will this thread live to morning?

Maybe? I'm currently writing up my next one-shot, so there will at least be that.

I am currently hitting a writer's block in Anna's story.

If Granny Swamp-user is around, I finally finished that story I asked you about. I would like you to okay it, just in case my interpretation of Granny Swamp is a complete misfire.

Other anons also welcome to read and give feedback.

Submitted for the approval, of the Snowflake Society, I call this story (ironically):

The Bear and The Maiden Fair
pastebin.com/51fqQnen

Related Flake Sheets:
Torbern Iceclaw:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdkNwa3JjTExDeFE&usp=drive_web&tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8
Grandma Swamp:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxWGt6M0JaWmEzZ0U&usp=drive_web&tid=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

DIOMEDES, because it would mean a decent fight.

Life Support

Another story, this time for a flake that seems to be a little more popular:

>Cala, Mischief Seeker

The musty smell of old tomes and parchment were among her favorites. Along with smoke and charcoal, anyway.

It hadn't been this way for long, but even though she could remember those earlier moments clearly, she could hardly be bothered to remember them. Why should she dwell so much on that past when she could find her own way?

Back to the books would be a pointless statement. These thoughts didn't even occur to her, because she was too absorbed in her readings to depart for such trivialities. Those unnatural amber eyes poured over the words, symbols, and diagrams with ravishing hunger. Cala was enthralled with this activity entirely, a look of amusement and wonder on her face the entire time.

The half-devil girl couldn't even be bothered to take notice of her companions. Around her on the shelves nearby, a trio of tiny, flame-haired devils rifled through the library's belongings. She was often surrounded by such creatures, and while they often played off of each others' mischievous spirits, they generally tried not to disrupt her when she was being studious. Currently, one of them was reading over her shoulder, as another was pretending to inspect something that she had already discarded (so as to not look at the small fire that it had accidentally created). The third one was keeping lookout for the others from atop a nearby globe, its eyes on the doors to the library.

"But then..." she shuffled the current tome aside for a scroll, leading her own eyes for a specific place using a finger. She was onto something, now.
"Oh, but..." she flicked the edge of the scroll, letting it roll away from her as she grabbed a large, unopened book and rifled through its pages to a seemingly random destination,
"Which means..."

She almost didn't take notice when behind her, the devil keeping watch let out a loud, fiery belch.

Cala looked back over her shoulder and saw a door opening. A man in scholarly robes, likely a library aide, came in books piled high in his arms and was muttering about something about his work load getting in the way of his own studies. After setting his materials down on a nearby desk, he stopped and smelled the air.
"What is that? Is that... smoke?" This last word was said with a sense of alarm and he finally took in the rest of the room, noticing the strange intruder and her un-book-friendly friends. By this point, the embers had started into something a bit more serious.

"What?" the girl said as though she didn't know what was wrong. Then she realized the presence of the fire.
"Oh." She looked at her companions, who quickly pointed at each other in blame.
"Sorry about that?" she tried.

But it was too late. There was a strange, monstrous girl and a bunch of... imps? Setting fire to the college's library. Within a moments, he'd cast a spell that set off an alarm.

"I think that's our cue to go," Cala said, already on her feet and heading for the nearest window. From below in the courtyard, one might have been rather surprised to see what appeared to be a young woman and three little, red devils having flung themselves out through a stained glass window.

She landed gracefully, though the same could not quite be said of her companions, and hit the ground running. She was on the far side of the college. Her eyes flashed with images of the way that she had taken in and she planned her escape route.

Cala ran, pushed, and dove through the random gatherings of students in the courtyard, quickly making her way through as the devils lingered a bit longer to grab onto people and throw their things about. Before long, however, she was being pursued.

As she entered a nearby hallway, those curious eyes were darting. She was constantly looking ahead or around her. It was taking every fiber of her being to not let herself be distracted by all of the people discussing academia, examining artifacts, and practicing cantrips. Noticing that many of the nearby classrooms were laboratories, she slowed down and said a few cursing words before taking off again. There was a commotion in the room as a mixture began to fizzle. In her wake was a loud bang and an outpouring of smoke that covered her trail.

She giggled to herself as she made for the home stretch but stumbled to a halt before the statue that was centerpiece in the entry hall. The large, stone figure of the school's founder was stepping off of its pedestal, a nearby professor's incantations awakening it. The stone body gave way, revealing machinations and all manner of weapons from within. Cala could do nothing but stare as it was now poised to deny her exit.

"Wooooow..." she said in awe. "I wonder what makes you tick..."

Pointing at the machine's center, she cast a spell. Slowly, the parts of the golem ground against each other as the inner workings began to bend and pull outwards. After several seconds of a long, dull groaning of metal and cracking of stone, the parts that operated the artifact were laid bare and the thing was disfunctional.

Stupefied at first, and then outraged, the professor began a long incantation. Cala regarded him with a cocked eyebrow.

"You're thinking pretty hard. You might want to calm down," she offered. Her supposed enemy did not comply, but slowed down when he realized that his head was, in fact, smoking. The ensuing panic gave her a chance to rush past, but before chase could be given, a trio of chittering and cackling devils leapt onto them from behind.

Out through the gates, Cala tok a moment to catch her breath.
"School is so much fun!" she mused to herself, thinking about everything that she'd just been through. Then there was a nagging feeling.
Her eyes lit up as a new question formed in her mind. A burning curiosity that she just had to explore.

And with that, she was gone.

I hate looking back and finding typos after I drop a bunch of text. But them's the brakes when you write late and then don't spellcheck.

Hope you folks liked that one.

Grandma Swamp's creator here, this was a really fun read! I was grinning like a fool from ear to ear with granny's characterization, so you don't have to worry about missing the mark there.

Torbern's inquisitive point of view was a treat to be behind and it was really cool to read a piece that focused so much on the nature of mana and what spellcasting with it is like. The disparity between mana available made the fight interesting through means other than who wins. And I'm sure you're well aware that that ending was cute and a load of fun. Really, they both seem to have lost haha.
Also, I wanna say that you're really good at descriptions through similes. Great job at painting the swamp and the spells.

Using those spells as sorta "prompts" to work into the story was an excellent idea.

Thanks.

I think it worked better this time than for Remes. His "preferred spells" list is long and complicated, and doesn't really reflect what he does when he's covert, so I used cards that represented elements of the story instead.

This time, it not only helped bring life to what was on the sheet, but I even got to play up the original portrait image to set the initial scene.

Ka'koarm himself wouldn't, he prefers to generate his own as much as possible, but if someone had a passionate enough reason to, you can bet Ka'koarm would help them pursue the tools required to do so.

misread what you said. Yeah, if the person in question truly wanted it enough, and had valid reason why (love is always a valid reason) Ka'koarm might give aid

Stats.

W: 4
U: 5
B: 8
R: 4
G: 3

UW: 3
BW: 5
UB: 5
UR: 6
RB: 7
GB: 5
RG: 2
RW: 5
GW: 6
UG: 5

WUB: 5
GWB: 2
UBR: 4
URW: 5
RBG: 1
BUG: 4
RGW: 2
RWB: 1
UGW: 1
RUG: 4
WUBR: 1
WURG: 1
Five: 2
Colorless: 3

------------------------------------------------------------

Innistrad: 8
Zendikar: 5
Kaladesh: 2
Dominaria: 10
Tarkir: 4
Rabiah: 4
Unknown: 16
Hispaniaria: 1
Theros: 8
Lorwyn: 2
Kamigawa: 3
Fiora: 3
Ravnica: 8
Bant: 1
Serra's Realm: 2
Xerex: 1
Mirrodin: 6
Asimdea: 1
Ke'da: 1
Shandalar: 3
Kartot: 1
Grixis: 1
Doma: 1
Shadowmoor: 1
Gaia: 1
Arkhos: 1
Esper: 4
Mercadia: 1
Jund: 2
Rath: 1
Mongseng: 1
Shionzha: 1
Ir: 1
Segovia: 1
Arda: 1
Ulgrotha: 1

109 Flakes Total

2 more to go before the /real/ magic happens

I don't get it.

You forgot two flakes.

I see now. I was going off of the chart in the OP.

Thanks for the feedback! Great to see that I didn't muck up Granny too much. I know her profile doesn't say anything about her being insane, but I figured that anyone who willingly hangs around the Cult of Rakdos pretty much has to be more than a little unhinged, haha.

But yeah, you're right about them both kind of losing. Neither of them get what they want, because of a lack of communication. They could have both gotten what they wanted, but instead they clashed. Maybe one day they'll meet again.

I'm quite glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm gonna give it a once more over to edit any mistakes and then I'll summon the OP to place the story in the repository.

Saving the thread

Need some more stories.

how many stories?

All of them. __

ASTARTE commands it to be!

ASTARTE coming soon

Does this have an IRC?
I recall the last one having such, do we use the same one?

#mtgwaifulore

Rizon?

What's the lowest rung among the Orzhov?

Ghost debtors. Literally people who are enslaved to do work in the afterlife for X amount of years in exchange for a service during life. That or thrulls.

Ah I meant amongst the living.
I'm sort of stuck; I want my walker to end up on Ravnica working for the Orzhov but I'm not sure how that happens, or what they would start off as.

Probably as a tax collector, fusing the aesthetics of a witch-hunting inquisitor and a debt-collecting gangster.

If they didn't actually owe anything to the guild? Probably a paper pushing lawmage.

The Orzhov are serious about debt, and they're not afraid to have slaves/indentured servants.

Well that's the thing; I'm not sure what sort of relationship I want them to have with the guild itself.

I know that I do have a place picked out: Vizkopa Bank.

Still beats working for the Izzet.... Or the Dimir... Or for the Rakdos.... Or Gruul... Or Azorius....

Two new Flakes!

Tell me what all of you think of the pair.

Yep

No

You love it. Don't deny it.

No, it's terrible and pretty damn awful. Theros Gods do not work that way, in multiple ways, and they've apparently been fucking around for over a thousand years?

Gods are constructs born of the dreams and worship of denizens of Theros. And I believe it was stated that Erebos came soon after Kruphix who was the first
And the Archons were what ruled before the current gods did

Theros Gods work exactly like that.

You act like Planeswalkers don't fuck around for thousands of years.

Gods ascend to Godhood. Read about Xenagos.

Erebos was born after Heliod.

Kruphix is the eldest of the current Pantheon. Nothing says he was the first God in existence.

There is nothing stating that Archon ruled before Gods. Only that the Archons used to have their own empire.

Also, fucking around for thousands of years isn't exactly hitting the mark when it comes to how long ago Astarte and Abraxas ignited.

Do you think Abraxas amassed an army in only a day? A week? A year? Give me a break. Go do your homework and go to bed.

Otp confirmed

What method of Getting Around Being Mortal has Abraxas done, then?
And Xenagos ascending to godhood is a unique thing - the other gods were indeed born of the dreams and worship of Therosians.

You can't planeswalk out of the underworld. At all. That includes planeswalking due to spark ignition.

What's the cancer killing canon Magic lore and why is it /u/boating bullshit?

It's not? One pair of flavor-text only Evil Thing Hunters is not 'the cancer killing canon Magic lore'
Instead it's Creative having really fucking dumb decisions for overall plotlines.

Abraxas isn't a God. He's just a planeswalker. What are you even taking about? Are you talking about how long it took him to amass an army? Who knows? Probably around a decade or so. Does it matter?

Where does it say any of them were born from anything? The Gods ascend to Godhood by the beliefs of mortals. It's a certain amount of mortals believing a being is a God and worshipping them that ascends them.

>One pair of flavor-text only Evil Thing Hunters
Looks like someone hasn't paid attention to Chandra and Nissa in a while.

Also, hunter lesbians will get a card in EMN and you know it.

First of all, so says what source?

Second off, I never stated that they did or didn't actually leave the Underworld prior to Erebos intervening.

They are created by the belief of mortals. Xenagos ascended through vague to unknown means that involved a huge revelry.

It's been at least sixty years since the Mending. Planeswalkers are mortal and aging. Gods aren't gods outside Theros, and so Astarte cannot just say 'no doesn't age'.
What method of not being an old fart has Abraxas undertaken?

Gideon died from a puddle.

A lot of current Planeswalkers don't age. Get out of here.

Puddles are serious business yo

They're all either races that don't age anyway (Sorin, Karn etc.) or attained immortality via other means (Liliana).

Nahiri

You can't kill pure evil.