EDH/Commander General

VROOM VROOM edition

>RESOURCES

mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-05-16-tasigur-the-golden-fang-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grand-arbiter-augustin-iv-stax-lockdown-control/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mill gives me a real serious case of the feel-bads

I somehow managed to win with this deck a 6 player game without using politics but I see an obvious need for improvement and fine tuning. What should I do /edh/?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-05-16-tasigur-the-golden-fang-edh/

Where is Avengikar, Craterhoof, Consecrated, Edric, Oracle of Mul Daya, or Kodama's Reach/Cultivate?

>all those bad cards
Jesus user, you must play with some real baddies to have won with that shit.

Sometimes a group is just real baddies.
>Someone actually won with Felidar Sovereign in their Oloro this week
>I was the only one with any removal at all and it got countered

Your group must hace decks that win by turn 4. So much more fun. Fucking idiot

>mfw im playing a 6 player game and one of the players is my 12yo nephew
>playing jhoira eldrazi.dec
>nephew playing mono blue 40 lands 59 counterspells
>tell nephew ill let him win if he counters everything the others try to do so i can rape them with eldrazi
>rape.jpg
>i concede and let nephew win
>ask the other 30yo manchildren what its like to be beaten by a 12yo
>get accused of cheating
>sorry its diplomacy
The salt anons, the salt is real

Did you even look at his decklist? Cards in there that shouldn't be used in event he most budget build.

Like, literal garbage cards.

Not everyone plays mtg like legacy user.

You sound like kind of an asshole

is Tazri any fun?

Do you like the "allies" creature type?
If yes, you'll like tazri.
If no, no, you won't like tazri

>MTG is only bad garbage cards or $2000 dollar legacy decks
Do you realize how stupid you sound?

You are /literally/ the reason I built a T1 list.

All collusion and durdling shit can go die.

Do you realise how casual you sound? Couldnt find the standard thread?
Not even memedern plebs are this cunty

Spirit of muh EDH
>implying you wouldnt just accept the fact you were beaten anf doing something about it rather than going to reddit or tumblr and crying to your internet friends

So now you're implying that we either play good cards and stardard or garbage and EDH?

Seriously. You are fucking retarded.

>MTG is only bad garbage cards or $2000 dollar legacy decks

Yes this is exactly what mtg is wither you are a kid playing mtg for fun with your friends or you are a 30+ manchild still playing with childrens games that you could have spent money on for something that contributes to furthering your life

>$2000
>legacy
maybe the landbase

You are not even trying

You have to be 18 to post here.

is the Meren precon a good start for a Pepe shell?

So which are you?

My group has been trying to get one of our friends into Magic recently and let him play one of our decks for getting introduced to the game (he plays a lot of hearthstone so it's not a hard transition). He ended up running my Talrand deck since he liked the idea of countering spells, stealing/copying people's stuff, getting tokens, and of course drawing a lot of cards. The deck ended up being pretty good for introducing him to magic since he got to have a lot of fun with interactions, controlling the board, drawing cards, and getting out dudes. There are decks that might be easier to learn from, but there weren't many cards that weren't straightforward or worked completely differently than other cards in the deck. We decided not to hold back really since the decks were all pretty strong, but would give advice and explanations whenever possible/desired. I was playing Sidisi zombies and the other friend was playing Zur enchantment control. Talrand player got to copy my Worn Powerstone and Grave Titan getting a good amount of early advantage whilst countering ans drawing cards the whole game. He started having a really good time once he accumulated some mana and got out Talrand and put a Runechanter's Pike on a drake token. My Gray Merchant of Asphodel was Bribery'd and then when I tried casting an Endless Ranks of the Undead it was countered. This gave the Talrand player the opportunity to cast Rite of Replication unopposed on the Gray Merchant gaining 100 life, making us take 50 life loss, and winning him the game. After that game he was very excited about playing more Magic and may look into building his own deck.

There's a middle ground tho. You can actually build a synergistic deck without spending a shitload of money. Then you can have a mishmash of shit cards that are there because they fit the colours, but they get removed when you learn to play.
I used to have fat teysa with every extort card but crypt ghast and pontiff of blight and some shit tier removal and combat trix, like Cruel Feeding and Ajani's Presence.

>trying this hard to troll
>badly

That's a nice story.
I'm happy for your friend.

So why do you guys hate Oloro so much?
He can be quite annoying and strong but imo he isn't overpowered or unfair or anything.

He's just boring, aggressively so

Why doyou find him boring? I find him quite interesting and versatile.

He does stone nothing

He has won the race of survivability by never participating in the first place.

Because people never build him the way he was always meant to be built Giant Tribal.

Since he gives value from T1 without doing nothing. I've actually considered getting him at the helm of my monoblack deck, solely for the immense lifeloss and hate the deck gets.

It wouldnt be very monoblack with an esper commander

I only hate that people think Oloro is overpowered. In 1v1 against an aggro deck yeah he's pretty good, but even over longer multiplayer games I've found his life gain largely irrelevant. If yoh go out of your way to build around him and use a lot of life gain triggers he's even worse; he's best at the helm of a generic Esper control or stax deck, and while those decks are pretty strong it has nothing to do with Oloro.

I don't hate him. He was my first EDH deck.

My friends all hate him and it's only because lifegain threatens them for some reason, even though it's the weakest mechanic in the game.

I dunno if it's worse than mill, since lifegain tacked on to other effects can be pretty good (see Nissa's Renewal in Standard).

Mill is just mill.

>2016
>Not building oppressive control/stax lists that lock the board down and turn the game into an actual fun game of magic rather than combo player Russian Roulette.

My list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grand-arbiter-augustin-iv-stax-lockdown-control/

(Very much still a WIP, feedback appreciated, hella fun to play, so many paths to victory - all of them slow 'n' grindy.)

It would be, as every card in the deck is monoblack, and all lands produce only black mana, not counting a few that produce colorless.
He would be there just for the lifegain, as I never usually cast my commander anyway which is Skithiryx, because games usually end before I reach big enough manas.

My group has said I play too much mono-red artifacts (Daretti and Godo) and has issued me a challenge to build something that isn't centered around artifacts. Now I don't know what to build.

Karador enchantress.

Skullbriar beatdown

Snake tribal

These sound fun. How would you do Skullbriar?

Athreos with Shadowborn Apostle

GWx Enchantress of any kind. Run just be sure to run Stony Silence if you have one. Your mana accel can come in form of Fertile Ground and cards like it.

I would suggest Uril but you already have a Voltron commander. Rubinia is cool though. You'll miss out on some artifacts that sac your own dudes (or in this case, theirs) but you still have Evolutionary Leap and the like.

Selvala can be a good Enchantress commander, though I personally beleive she's far better as a stax commander.

Ghave works as a Stax Enchantress, coincidentally that type of deck runs almost no infinites.

Daxos is a great pillowfort Enchantress and my current favorite since he can scale incredibly hard in the late game.

There are more candidates but those are the ones I've had experience with.

Continue to look weak as fuck so everyone ignores you, then you sneak a win.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-05-16-tasigur-the-golden-fang-edh/

Yes, this deck does need ALOT of tuning, but at least you realized that. The first problem I see is theme. Do you think that Tasigur is the best general for what you want to do? There is an obvious sacrifice and filling the yard theme, so perhaps trying a GB general like Meren instead would help first? If you want to keep Tasigur (which is fine, he's still a great general), then you need to trim out some of the VERY suboptimal cards.

Stuff like
>Class of Wills
There are many cheaper and more effective counterspells out there. See: Counterspell, Swansong, Dissipate

>Hero's blade
This card really won't be doing much for the deck. Focus instead with more cards that fit the theme, like a token generator (Awakening Zone, Hornet Queen), or overrun effects (Overrun, OVerwhelming Stampede).

>Salvage Drone
It;s cute, but really doesn't do much. Sakura-Tribe Elder can provide the sacrifice and start ramping you.

>Sultai Skullkeeper
Doesn't really do much again. Saytr Wayfinder does what this guy can do better while giving you a land.

There's just too many more to cover. The really thing you can do is focus what you are trying to do with the deck. Cut cards that don't fit the theme and include more powerful cards that synergize with your sacrificing and recursion (Dictate of Erebos, Butcher of Malakir Skullclamp, Shriekmaw etc). You do have a start though and that's something there. Asking your group for help wouldn't be a bad idea either.

>So why do you guys hate Oloro so much?
He leads to very, very boring decks. I've seen a few really cool Oloro decks that use lifegain to trigger effects, and are actually pretty darn offensive.

>needing to use stax to make Magic fun

Sounds like you need a better playgroup.

Melek spellslingan/Storm
Talrand hard control
Seizan suicide
Kaervek slug

>play in meta with entirely Timmys and their big monster decks
>like to play a lot of control and combo, thinking of myself as a Johnny
>tfw I realized last night that I'm a Spike
>I'm the "that guy"

Do they enjoy playing with you? If so, just keep doing what you're doing.

If they don't, either tell them to git gud or power your decks down a little.

My decks aren't so much good as they are different. I win barely more than them, and that's honestly due to having actual control elements outside of the occasional oblivion ring. If anything my decks are among the least expensive, they just operate in such different ways.

Daretti is too fun for his own good, holy shit

>sac a Thopter to get Prototype Portal back from the yard
>Imprint Darksteel Juggernaut
>put out a token
>Kurkesh is on my board so I can copy the Portal for 2 tokens
>Hammer of Purphoros is out so they have haste
>Unwinding Clock is out so I can do it on everyone's turn
>end up with an army of like 10 20/20 indestructible attackers by the time it comes back to me
>use Daretti's +2 and draw Glaring Spotlight, make them all unblockable

That Daretti precon is the best preconstructed deck Wizards has ever put out, it's such a fantastic base for fun, and even the vanilla version is a blast.

Enchantments. Azorius or Bant

My group has yet to catch on to how good artifacts actually are, so I basically got to be a kid messing around in a toybox for most of the game

They'll probably start packing artifact hate now

>durdle the deck
Unless you draw one of the few cards he can exploit the deck does nothing but draw lands.

But what if I build Oloro chair tribal?

You become the chosen one of Veeky Forums's EDH threads and have powers you have only ever dreamed of.

So, speaking of VROOM VROOM edition:

I took my new Xenagos deck out for a spin on Thursday.

>Game 1 vs Orzhov + Mono Black = I couldn't play anything because of destroy non-black creature effects.
>Game 2. Two-headed giant, me and Boros vs 2x Orzhov = We were on a ropes with 6 health, then I topdecked Nylea to give my Malignus trample and my partner topdecked Gisela. I swung in for 190 damage.
>Game 3 vs Mono black + Rhys = I obliterated Rhys early but I couldn't block a 24/24 Ob Nixilis with fear.
>Game 4 (same as 3) = I obliterated Ob Nixilis early. I had the damage potential in my hand to finish off Rhys, but I needed 2 green mana (just had one on the field and drew into all my colorless lands) and was swarmed the turn after.

Wow, Xenagos is a blast. But he definitely needs tuning. Rapacious One was a real MVP as 40 eldrazi spawn helped create a block screen and allowed sac for tons of extra mana. I think I need a few more token-producing hitters. I'm thinking Living Hive and possibly Myr Battlesphere? Maybe Giant Adephage instead.

Just play Atogatog and stop being so casual

Could it be reasonable to cut shocks in a 5 color deck for tri lands?

I am running into mana problems since I added more basics to not to have to scoop to even such fair cards are Wave of Vitrol.

It isn't that I don't have all 5 colors. That's usually not a problem, since I have a City of Brass or something normally. It is that sometimes I need two cast two spells, so it ends up being 3 white mana symbols.

Preferably the regular taplands, it's pretty good idea to have fetchable duals and having an option to use the mana before your next turn. Sometimes it just matters.

Xenagod looks cool. Is he just fatties all day?

3 of each basic (adjust these numbers if you're heavier on one color than another)
10 shocks
5 khans fetches

That leaves you like 6-10 land slots to do whatever, if even the khans fetches are too expensive for you, then you have more slots, if you can afford zendikar fetches, you have less slots

I recommend both chromatic lantern and prismatic omen

Tri lands would be bad to put in instead of shocks, but maybe filter lands could work since you said it's about getting multiple mana of one color after getting all 5 colors

Not who you're responding to but yes, it's fatties all day long. It's linear as fuck, but it's still really fun to smash people with Atarka, World Render and two extra combat steps.

That picture has me at a loss for words

Reposting
Generally, how is Birthing Pod for a RG deck in EDH?
Does it make you too mouch of a target?

It's good, but you have to build your deck with it in mind.

As far as making you a target, I can't really see people being more upset than is required to try and destroy the birthing pod

I mean if you want an artifact that's good but don't want anybody to destroy it, I can't help you

If you can accept that, it shouldn't get you anymore hate than that

Ugh I made this post at 5 in the morning. What I was meaning to get at is I think mono colored EDH decks are great for getting people into magic after they get some basic introductory games. Getting a glimpse of the crazy stuff that can potentially happen in MTG beyond the boundaries of standard and intro decks seems to be a good way to "seal the deal" when trying to get someone hooked to Magic.

Many people try to introduce new players to MTG with green or red decks, but I believe black might be an even better color to intro with. It gets them used to stuff like removal, draw, creatures and their abilities, and using more than just mana as a resource. I feel kind of bad for people who get introduced into magic with all creature and ramp decks since they aren't exposed to what magic can really be like. I'd rather them start learning that their creatures are expendable early so the first time they get a wrath used against them they don't decide the game is no fun anymore and quit.

I think the way you introduce new players should somewhat reflect how your playgroup might play. If you have a playgroup that never runs removal or combos then you don't need to show the new player that side of the game early. If you know the player is going to be dealing with a lot of degenerate decks in the group then you should introduce stuff like combo and control as just another part of the game. Show them what they have to deal with and how to deal with it.

These are just my opinions though I guess. I just feel like most of the introductory products don't prepare new players for what lies in store for them unless they're playing with the most casual kitchen table sorts of playgroups.

jesus CHRIST i know it's a dumb meme around here but holy shit is craterhoof behemoth broken what the fuck
this fucking faggot keeps playing a bunch of creatures and then tutoring out his craterhoof and killing everyone at the table all at once, is edh literally just CHOOSE 1: PLAY CREATURES WITH CRATERHOOF OR 2: PLAY A MILLION FUCKING BOARDWIPES CUZ OTHERWISE CANCER BEHEMOTH IS GONNA COME AND SHOVE HIS GIANT FUCKING CREATUREDICK UP YOUR ASS

You could always play blue, friend. Or black or white.

This is one of the vaguer posts I've seen on this board.

Why not all three?

Craterhoof would eat shit.

Alternatively pick up a fucking torpor orb, they're going up in price for a reason. Shit is stupidly good if you're not running a high-etb deck.

hey you know, counterspells are cool and all, but not every blue deck i play is a draw go control deck ok? like fucking sue me for wanting to play a deck that taps out to play COOL THINGS that are sometimes CREATURES so i don't want to kill my own CREATURES by running like 10 different boardwipes ok?
like I have a hard control nobody is allowed to have fun deck, but that's not the only thing I ever want to play. is it so weird to want to be able to play proactive stuff and do things without FUCKING MR GREEN FAGGOT ASS LOL WEED LMAO OVER THERE BEING LIKE "HAHA ILL PLAY CREATURES AND THEN ILL PLAY CRATERHOOF AND WIN ON THE SPOT GG"

I was having trouble explaining my point

I guess what I mean is if you think that people using Krosan grip on your birthing pod is "making you too much of a target" then yeah it will do that

I'm not understanding

If nobody is playing control, you should be able to combo off before your opponent

You can't just complain that's he's doing big creatures better than you, adapt

Okay, this is clearly just an advanced form of the same stupid bait we get every thread, but I'd just like to say I'm impressed by the fact that you almost made a coherent, meaningful, point. Probably not intentionally, but hey I'll take what I can get.

I want this meme to stop. Even the Prossh/Derevi bitching wasn't this bad

>not every blue deck i play is a draw go control deck
Well there's your issue

>You can't just complain that's he's doing big creatures better than you, adapt
bitch that's EXACTLY what im complaining about
there's literally no reason to play creatures if you're not going to run craterhoof and literally 10 different fucking tutors for your craterhoof so you can instawin for free becaus ethis fucking faggot as stupid game is imbalanced as fuck and the edh fagcircle of decision making bans stupid shit like sylvan primordial instead of actually broken cards that make the format retarded like craterwin behemoth
FUCK
>you should be able to combo off before your opponent
I don't even know what this means, sure if I also run craterhoof behemoth and 10 tutors presumably either i play better than the other faggot running caterhoof behemoth and 10 tutors and win or they play better and win or variance decides or the one control player at the table counters whoever goes for it first and the other guy wins or who the fuck even knows edh is stupid why am I even here holy fuck anyone live in the vancouver, BC area and want to buy a piece of shit xenagos edh deck that can never win because you're not allowed to have fun in this game?

>no user
>you are the cancer
Rage harder that someone is better at casting a fat guy than you are. Also that you can't seem to remember how Fog works.

>Come to these threads maybe once or twice a month
>Still this same craterhoof shit every single time without exception

Is it just the one person Veeky Forums or a couple people?

They need like 10 mana to tutor craterhoof and play it in the same turn

If you can't figure out some plan of dealing with by then, you have nobody to blame

Craterhoof is very good but no better than any other wombo combo, if your deck is simply not as good as your friends, that's unfortunate, but you have all the time in the world to adapt

Board wipes that kill your own creatures are not the only way to deal with craterhoof, if you're so averse to them

There's also effects like ghostly prison/propaganda, there's effects like spore frog and constant mists, there's effects like aetherize and cyclonic rift that don't wipe your creatures but wipe theirs

There's torpor orb effects, there's tainted aether or other stax type effects that can prevent your opponent from amassing a lethal number of creatures

If your argument is that craterhoof is especially hard to stop or especially easy to win with, I don't think you're going to find many sympathetic people here

Probably one person at a time.

Craterhoof is pretty commonly played so it I wouldn't be surprised if some different person came every couple of threads with a new experience.

Nah I think it's one guy. It probably started as a legitimate complaint and just ballooned from there, because it's pretty much the same shit every time

It's definitely more than one person because I'm not the latest guy complaining but I have in the past posted craterhoof stories

I don't complain though, I brag about how fun it is to do a bajillion damage

People still think I'm trying to get craterhoof banned though so it all feels like one person

>They need like 10 mana to tutor craterhoof and play it in the same turn
>summoner's pact evidently costs 3 mana
>birthing pod is evidently not a card
stopped reading there, it is already apparent you play with casual scrubs

>Rage harder that someone is better at casting a fat guy than you are.
yes, i am literally raging at the fact that there is 1 specific fat guy who instawins every game it resolves that makes every single other creature based strategy entirely pointless in comparison
literally casting regal force to draw your deck pales in comparison to the fact that you could simply cast craterhoof behemoth and win the entire game immediately
>cant seem to remember how fog works
oh yeah you mean that fog that always sits in our command zone and we can always play? like, what are you even saying you literal mongoloid lmao jesus christ. i guess you're trying to imply that everyone should run fog effects, which is kind of retarded so I don't really know what to say to that.

Unearth is shitty

I assumed that all they had played was a few creatures and then tutored for crater hoof, that's how you made it sound

If you're letting your opponent have a birthing pod in play and a 7 drop to sac to it, it's hard to see how you're calling me a scrub, you've already lost the game at that point, craterhoof is irrelevant

Also regal force to draw your deck is OBVIOUSLY and UNDENIABLY more powerful than craterhoof

Craterhoof is answered by way more things

I won a game against Zegana player with Peacekeeper, he wasted all of his resources to remove it over and over, and I recurred it errytime.
Fucking play fog effects if you're too retarded to counter or wrath. I have won so many scenarios with Spike Feeder or the somali earrings I mentioned above.

Dear Sir:

In response to your commentary regarding EDH deckbuilding and metas, we were mildly distressed by the dichotomy you presented between "hard" control and Craterhoof Behemoth. On reviewing the evidence, we could not substantiate your complaint that those were the only options for the game, seeing as Craterhoof Behemoth is rendered mostly harmless by a number of strategies, few if any of which preclude the player or players not running Craterhoof Behemoth from resolving their own creatures.

Further, it seems you are unaware of both these potential counters and other avenues of play including but not limited to: Global damage prevention ("Fog" effects), Asymmetrical Mass Removal, Single Target ("Spot") Removal, Directed anti-specific-quality effects ("Hate" cards), proper procedure for the use of tactical countermagic in combined arms strategies and/or multiplayer environments, and what our analysts refer to as "Not overextending when you know you'll need to reset, faggot."

It is our conclusion that you are a Scrub. Normally, we would recommend a course of treatment, but in your case the condition appears to have advanced to the degree that conventional "Git Gud" procedures would be rendered ineffectual. As such, the diagnosis is terminal.

Sincerely,
user

Not really

It's very disappointing that you can't sac the creature and unearth repeatedly tho huehuehue

Why? I was going to build Sedris but I want to hear why Unearth is bad

The only way to really prevent your creatures from being exiled after unearth is used is to end the turn right? Like Sundial of the Infinite or something?