Damage Mechanics

What is your favorite resolution mechanic for dealing damage in combat Veeky Forums?

Sorry OP. People round here respond better to threads with drawings of fake women with huge tits.

Body and Stun damage.

I really like both Legends of the Wulin and Exalted 3e's combat mechanics, especially when it comes to the damage dealing.
LotW has 'ripples' and 'rippling rolls'. Any successful attack causes at least 1 ripple. If you hit hard enough, you also cause a rippling roll, which can inflict conditions, like an injury or even a fated connection of some sort. The more ripples, the more likely and more intense the condition.
You even take a single rippling roll at the end of combat!
Exalted 3e I'm less familiar with the details, but essentially you attack normally to build up your initiative and drive down your opponent's, until you decide to deal a decisive blow and spend all that initiative to try and finish off the opponent for good.

Both great systems that aren't just "ok I take 3 damage"

Small HP pool, armor as DR, and parries can block attacks.

You're goddamn right

Ironclaw had a pretty neat one. The pic gets thrown around here sometimes, and it looks interesting.

>Ironclaw
You should've said it's a furry game advertised by furries

Despite the questionable flavor, Ironclaw mechanics are solid.

It's actually a really solid system if you can look past the furry bullshit.

GURPS is pretty good. The attacker rolls to hit (with penalties for aiming at specific body parts), the defender rolls to dodge/parry/block (but not if the attack is from behind or otherwise can't be defended against), if the attacker succeeds and the defender fails you roll damage.

I can't and there are better examples if you are looking for solid system and not merely attracted to furry flavor with decent engine

This furry phobia gets stupid. Otherkin are obnoxious fags, furry or not.
>see beastman
>ree furrreeeee

Hit locations, armor as DR, hit-location and attack-type damage modifiers, and location-specific injury rules.

GURPS is my front runner, followed by ORE and BRP. FUDGE is pretty good too.

I've mostly been playing homebrews lately, and have been trying to get away from traditional RPGs. Generally I've found them interesting but difficult to streamline as a one-man operation.

First was for a magic-heavy setting. Players had 5 levels of health. When an attack is made, it would use a specific skill. The defending player would get two defenses: First line of defense, which uses a skill of choice to try and nullify the attack. If this fails, the player must choose a skill for their Last line of defense, which would try to mitigate the damage taken. Depending on character builds, different combat maneuvers are available at different levels of life remaining.

Second was more of a board game, where the focus was on a one-on-one combat. Each players would make different attacks, which would counter, combo, or limit the opponent's options. As attacks are made, both players built up Pressure on their opponents. This would continue until the climax of the exchange, where the player who built up more pressure would deliver a decisive blow.

Third was more for general RPGs. Damage dealt against the player would build up during the combat round, and if it surpassed the player's toughness, they would lose a level of morale. If the player lost all levels of morale, they would be broken and would provide only minimal assistance to the party. A broken member could be rallied by other members, and healing spells would provide temporary bonus to their toughness, and so on.

Binary one, either you're a live or you're dead, one hit means you're dead.

I really like the Savage World combat system.

>hitpoints
kek

This nigga gets it. It's a damn fine, quick way of resolving damage that only requires you to know your four times table and how to subtract.

How does Savage World manage it?

>All hit points are D&D hit points

Parry and Dodge to avoid attacks, armor as DR after that, health levels with increasing penalties to all rolls as you get more wounded. Point is to avoid getting hit. Stamina also increases DR.

Hit points as meat points where you can survive falling from hundreds of metres or becoming a pincushion thanks to your adventuring experience alone.