MTG Pauper General: Split Community General

For the love of God if someone else asks "BUT MY PLACE USES PAPER COMMONS ONLY/THEY JUST BAN SINKHOLE ETC ETC AND WE HAVE FUN" I'm going to scream. Pauper is small and divided enough as it is. Read the OP.

>MTGO Pauper Guide
cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings

Other urls found in this thread:

vintagechiccigar.com/images/Savinelli Nic Reserve Toro Box.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=57YzHk5t9ls&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege
cardhoarder.com/cards/7577
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So why does pauper have a ban list?

For the same reason legacy has a ban list. If pauper didn't have a ban list, then the meta would be literally affinity vs cloudpost control vs storm combo.

It has less to do with "unfair" and more to do with meta. When you unban and add every common you get stupid decks.

Goblins is a tier 1 deck... add Goblin Grenade and its just stupid. Hymn is stupid, etc.

My lgs doesnt host pauper, why play op?

About to make a Goblins deck. How does it win? What am I looking for in my opening hand?

I'm super annoyed that I have to buy Goblin Grenade for local meta, but what does it replace?

Thanks dudes. Was going to try and build a legacy or modern deck but that's just too much money.

Pauper doesn't make money for shops or Wizards.

It's a fun cheap format. I stopped playing with the mega dorks at the local place and found regular people that like to play and drink some beers, grill some burgers. Good times.

But I play commander with regular people

That seems backwards. Wouldn't Pauper Players have a much higher incentive to buy boosters? Of course that'd require them to print decent commons

Why would they? There arent many cards in standard that are even playable in pauper, and when there are, you can buy a playset for pennies.

No? Why would you buy a pack to crack a common when you can get a playset for almost nothing? And some cards are old, so it's easier to order them.

>muh pauper serious format
>muh meta discussions
>muh tier list
You are ruining something by removing the one thing that makes it good- in this case the casual nature of an inherently silly format.
t.GoblinGrenadefag

That's a nice spook you got there

Why would you be mad? Grenade is great. If you don't want to run it, don't. What's your list?

>pauper doesn't make money for shops
It's a good way to get people in the door and make a little off of bulk crap. Commons are the ONLY singles I buy at LGS. Sifting through boxes of commons is pretty relaxing, too.

I'm interested in paper pauper. Looking for a local group.

I have a silly idea, but its worth mentioning. Looking at Shadow over Innistrad, each color has 20 commons. So one could make a mono color deck with 2 of each common and 20 land. (Or 15 land and some common artifacts.)

They might not be great decks, but as a concept, I think its neat.

I actually really like this idea

Casual is casual. Pauper is a real format sanctioned by WotC. If you want casual play Commons go for it. There are always casual players in any format.

Sounded pretty butthurt 10/10 made me reply.

Thanks. If you try it, let us know how it goes. I'm building a deck too at the moment.

>How does it win?
Cast goblins, attack with goblins. Deal 20 damage.

>Opening hand
1-3 mountains, 2-3 of 1CMC 2/2s or Foundry Street Denizen; Bushwhacker, other goblins

Ornithopters and Petals came in the mail today :3

Red Metal without GG.

>deal 20 damage
good luck, i'm behind 7 lone missionary triggers!

I love, as a Burn player, when a control deck or mill deck takes 5 minutes for every turn racking his brain and using all kinds of card fetches only to be destroyed by me and my timer is under 2 minutes. Lol. Idiots.

I like this deck. I'm new to the archetype though. What's "GG"? And would it be better to use Galvanic Blast instead of Lightning Bolt? With all of the artifacts in the deck you could likely hit for 4 with Blast regularly.

Goblin Grenade, it's not common on MTGO and so isn't part of Pauper, I guess.

I ran Galvanic Blast in Standard, but since you're usually blowing up or sacrificing your artifacts you rarely get to Metalcraft.

I've been testing it tonight, I've changed out the Fireblasts for 3x pic related since I often didn't have 2 mountains to sac by turn 3, and multiples are awful with the low land count.

Hearth Charm acts as another Bushwhacker effect, or makes Foundry Street Denizen unblockable before pumping him with Kuldotha Rebirth or Mogg War Marshall or both. It blows up Frogmites and Myr Enforcers pretty well too.

Here's the full list with sideboard at the bottom. I really have no idea what to side.

4x Pillar of Flame for Undying/Persist.
3x Vault Skirge for Burn?
3x REB for blue counters and delver (may need to be changed to Pyroblast for legality)
Another Hearth Charm and Gorilla Shaman for Affinity
3x Stingscourger for big dudes I guess?

That explanation makes the synergy more clear. Thanks.

Mind if I try this deck myself? I really like the theme. Reminds me of my first deck back in Mirrodin.

One more question, to see if I have this right. You cast Charm on Denizen as soon as possible. Then, in the main phase you pump him with Furnace (sorcery) or Marshall (creature). The Charm doesn't check the Denizen's power when combat starts, right? It resolves as soon as its cast.

>Mind if I try this deck myself?
Not at all, I'd love to get some feedback. If you play it, you should shoot me an email (I rarely post as much on Veeky Forums as I have been recently).
[email protected]

>One more question
Yes, that's right. Once it resolves, he gains "can't be blocked". The text about his power only matters for targetting purposes.

It actually has a really cute interaction with Skirk Prospector, where you can cast multiple Mogg War Marshals and Kuldotha Rebirths by sac'ing them off of each other. I've swung with a 10/1 unblockable FSD in a game just now. Too bad I don't have a slot for Assault Strobe.

Flaring Pain for white decks that always pack Prysmatic Strands and Turbofog.
Some artifact hate is a must. Consider the shaman.

Cool. Thanks. Will do.

I like Strobe's art. Slipping that in would be cool. And that's a pretty sick combo. Why not more Prospectors?

>Flaring Pain
Oh man that's sick. Thanks.

>Flaring Pain
That's sick, thanks.

I originally only planned the prospector as a 1-2 of to beat Dazes and to fuel late game burn, but without the Hearth Charms I hadn't even considered the potential combo.

It also negates circle of protection

They shouldn't have enough time to even activate it multiple times, but it's cute.

>Looking online after a good modern game with my goblins deck.
>See blog post about goblins being a good pauper deck.
>"Huh, maybe I should give pauper a try"
>Look up what pauper is
>TFW only goblin grenade and lightning bolt are the only commons in my deck.
>Staple goblins for pauper cost as much as the rares
Wew lad

Are you nuts? Pauper goblins are cheap as fuck. It plays goblin cohort ffs

If you don't have $37 to spare stop fucking playing magic. A booster draft costs $12 for the packs alone ffs.

Posting this every thread until people remember me.
One day I'll take proper pictures of the decks.

if you sold all those decks, you could afford like 85% of a modern deck!

No Oubliette or Chain Lightnings.
So like... 60% of a modern deck.

>Have a ton of decks
>Can play with people at any time
>Can experience for different types of play by switching up decks
>Some Modern playing shill says I could almost buy one deck in his format if I sell all my decks.

Oh you.

You can literally buy a top goblin deck right now for 40 bucks.
You fucking idiot

Make a cool box for it

I was just making a joke about how expensive modern is. I honestly think it's a good idea to have a bunch of pauper decks to sit down with a friend and play with.

>Make a cool box for it
Either that or cigar boxes. These fit sleeved cards perfect.

vintagechiccigar.com/images/Savinelli Nic Reserve Toro Box.jpg

Gotta be careful what the box is made of. I've heard that some cigar boxes have sticky sap/resin in them that won't harm or change the flavor of cigars but can leave sticky shit all over your magic cards.

youtube.com/watch?v=57YzHk5t9ls&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege

Oh shitsnacks. I've got $1000 worth of cardboard in that box. Thanks for the tip.

Since there isn't really any back and forth discussion going on at the moment, and the pauper threads always need bumps, I'll storytime/blog for a second.

>Go to friend's house - brough modern, edh, and pauper MonoG Stompy with me.
>He doesn't have pauper, wants to see my deck in action. I play against his Bogles deck.
>Opening hand is 2 forests, mutagenic growth, nettle sentinel, pit-skulk, groundswell, vines.
>I swing in with sentinel, knowing he wont block with Slippery bogle, get to play the pit-skulk with bloodthirst.
>Swing in with pit-skulk, pay G for mutagenic growth so it looks like I have nothing good in hand - path - kick vines in response.

We ended up playing 5 games, i won 3 of them. The 2 he won because he had daybreak/spirit link stacks. Gleeful sabotage really fucks that deck up.

So I get the basics of metal red. What, in your opinion, makes a good stompy deck?

2/2's for 1 mana are always nice, and stompy has a bunch of them, some, like skarrgan pit-skulk have nice upsides. Great value cards like rancor turn a 2/2 into a 4/2 trampler as early as turn 2 with mana left over. giant growth effects make combat math a pain in the ass for an opponent.
Lots of good sideboard options and flexible meta slots in the deck too. For example, Monoblack Control/Devotion is popular at my LGS so i include 2x wild mongrel and 2x Basking rootwalla.
I guess overall it just feels like you can cram in a lot of high value, high synergy cards into a pile and it just werks.

Thanks. Looks like I have a few decks to build now!!

U/B
aka most cunty pauper deck in general

I like how they get super asshurt when they lose, like they expected to win always

strategy: play 30 removal spells and play a 1 of 5 creatures in their deck on turn 25
that's not magic

>getting this mad at UB

Wew. Next you'll say that creatures the tappening is Magic. :^)

Hey guys, I am new to this whole MTG thing. I started 2 weeks ago. I've never played with another person and i want to change that now. I've only been playing on Xmage and MTGO. I made a Pauper Burn deck on MTGo and it's very fun to play, but I can't make it in real life because it costs $100+. Anyways there is a local game shop near me that actually holds weekly pauper events on Thursday and I am planning on going, but need a deck. What is a good Pauper deck to build? Here are my requirements

>under $50
>top tier
>fun to play

What deck falls under these categories?

>How does it win
Pre-sideboard you just cast goblins, attack and try to deal 20. Postboard you might have more interactive spells, LD, recursive removal or combo hosers.
>What am I looking for in my opening hand
The ideal opener is 2 lands and all 1-mana goblins with a Bushwhacker or two.
>What does Goblin Grenade replace
If your list looks anything like the one I played, probably Lightning Bolt. You need that critical mass of Goblins and that critical mass is 35 cards and up.

On MTGO I'd say Death Spark. Didn't know it wasn't part of paper pauper.

izzet blitz aka UR alphastrike
seems like no one here on Veeky Forums plays this deck cuz im always the only one posting about it and get no replies ;_;
is basically a ur combo-ish where you try to drop your creatures, either kiln fiend or nivix cyclop, and beat down the opponent in 1-2 turns using your cheap spells that can pump your little fellas
posting my list (and €€ i paid for cards)

your lil' beaters
4x Delver of butthurts (1.50 each)
4x Kiln fiend (already had em from ol zendikar, wont cost more than 1.00 each)
4x Nivix cyclop (0.25 each)

shit that helps you set up combo/lets know how to play around enemy's hand
4x Ponder (set is 3.00)
4x Preordain (set is 2.00)
3x Gitaxian Probe (average cost is 3.50 each)
1x Gush (0.30)

creatures protection/pumps
4x apostole's blessing (less than 2.00 for set)
4x mutagenic grow (average 2.00 for set)
4x temur battlerage (cheap, less than 1.00 set)
1x slip trough space (they'll throw it at you)

some nukes always fit
4x lightning bolt (already had em, think will cost you a bit, 7.00-8.00 for set)
1x gut shot (should be cheap)

lands
1x lonely sandbar
2x ur duals (either gainlands or izzet cancel if you feel NOPUSSY)
8x island
7x mountain

sideboard
gut shot >shit hits delver in response to flipping
pyroblast/red elemental blast/both >mono U is strong as fuck and these help incredibly
flaring pain >you dont want to see acid/kuldotha jeskai/tormented existance drop the red circle and find yourself beating with delvers only
flame slash >can 1 hit nivix in mirror

deck can drop a t2 kiln fiend and win turn 3 with >gitaxian/mutagenic/gush, >temur battlerage >another 1cc spell/apostle's blessing

can do same at turn 4 with cyclop and you wont need to play phi-mana spells

if you play against control decks try to not drop your creature until you have apostle's blessing in hand, this way they cant do shit about you dropping your beast and killing them the turn after

careful against MBC cuz chainer's

i played my first two games of pauper tonight using janky BR land destruction
matchups were UB control and elves and went 0-2 and 2-0 pretty much how i expected

control is tough because i have low threat density and they play more lands than me
elves is mad favorable because they play fewer lands and i have plentiful removal

so far the shell looks like pic related

Can anyone recommend a better two-drop creature than kiln fiend? In modern i use young pyromancer but fiend was the best substitute i could find here.
Angler of course is an champ but for the other creature slots i'm not finding much that can stick and close a game quickly.

Goblins should be under $50 too, as has already been stated in this thread.
Green-white Slivers, although not quite top-tier, can easily score wins and costs like $30.
Monoblack control can at its cheapest be made for $20. You don't really need Oubliettes.

I think it's a good deck, probably even a great deck. Honestly I don't have much to add. I do wonder why you only run a single slip through space.

blessing and temur are usually enough to let your 20 damage swing go trough, and blessing has a lot more utility than slip

Gotcha. I forgot blessing is nearly as good.

I was looking at Goblins because people said it was a cheap and good 30 buck deck but seems like the price went up. MtG Goldfish's "$30 build" costs $80 on tcgplayer. I was looking at Delvers and they seem good and only $45. Is that a hard deck to pick up and play?

Rate my Burn list? Should I put 2x Shard Volley in here somewhere?

Main
4 Chain Lightning
4 Curse of the Pierced Heart
4 Fireblast
4 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Incinerate
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
18 Mountain
4 Needle Drop
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze

Sideboard
4 Electrickery
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Molten Rain
4 Smash to Smithereens

Delver is arguably the best deck now. Stompy 2nd best.

For cheap you can always go the troll route and play UB which does not require obuliette or Chainer's Edict. Only use it if you want everyone to be bored to death but you. It's like playing one player MTG and the other person gets to watch.

Delver is as brain-dead as a blue deck can get. Fetches for your cards all day if you don't get a Delver turn one. Usually you get a turn 2 3/2 Flying. I don't need to tell you how stupid that is. While you're beating them down with delver you are playing semi control. It's super braindead.

My top braindead decks in Pauper are
Burn
Delver
Slivers
Goblins
UB

most popular, not necessarily the best

No, it is the best.
You can delude yourself into thinking otherwise, but it is.

I remember you man

Fug

Also sideboards are in old booster wrappers because most of my old sleeves were in sets of 60

I just realized deck boxes don't hold cards with sleeves. What do?

>deck boxes don't hold cards with sleeves
???

Buy bigger deck boxes

Pauper pushes sales of dead stuff like Artifact Lands, Counterspell, Coumbajj Witches and Mulldrifter while keeping demand for Lightning Bolt, Rancor, Urzatron, Delver of Secrets etc high. I wouldn't say it doesn't make money yet.

Hey! It's you! Hey you! It's me! Delver has arrived, Goblins, Stompy and Tokens and MBC are on the way! Apparently I've got Affinity and Bogles back at home too! The Gauntlet is coming together for less than the price of a Tarmogoyf!

I'm uh, not sure how you shopped, boss, but my Goblins I ordered last week costed me 40 bucks. With full art lands.

You seem mad, friend. Don't be mad. Delver is a fun deck for all ages. And formats. Heck, I'm here because I can play Delver without shelling out for landbases and Snapcaster Mages and Force of Will.

Nice choice of counterspell art

I have a friend who loves that deck so much he takes it to Modern nights. It's a good deck. I like it a lot. I'm invested into Mono U Delver already though.

Lenda Murray is top tier aesthetics. 10/10 would tap 2 Islands for.

This card looks great, holy shit. Is it legal on MTGO?

Yup.

cardhoarder.com/cards/7577

Hmm. Thanks, I get a little confused as to which earlier sets exist on MTGO.

You're not the only one, man.

Thanks for the feedback. Ya dicks.

We've been playing Pauper in my group, but we keep to the Standard rotation so decks are easier to build for our newbie friends. Been a lot of fun.

It's a standard Burn list. I don't want to play it. I don't even want to think about playing it.

I love Pauper and I will start a group as soon as I can. Hell, I'll build and loan decks to other people.

>Why won't people let me play solitaire.

Anti Burn players are always retards.

>why won't anyone comment on my list wah
>you're a retard

I'm building my Warchest to that very end. This is a great format. I really love it.

>burn player calling other decks solitaire

My fucking sides

here

I too think this format is great. Obviously.
I am having some troubles, I'm still tweaking sideboards, but I don't want matchups to become 'who draws sideboard tech first.' I also don't want certain matchups like burn to just be unwinnable for certain decks.
It seems to be tough to balance between naturally good and bad matchups with relevant but not backbreaking sideboard cards and extremely unbalanced matchups which are basically unwinnable, like red circle against burn.

I wish you luck in balancing the sideboards, it certainly becomes extremely pertinent in closed Gauntlets. What do you think are the most problematic matchups so far? Is it like, as soon as people go into game 2, Affinity is that much worse off?

I've kind of nerfed the big dogs. MBC, UR delver, MonoU, affinity have been made slightly less consistent, slightly more situational, which has elevated my Spicy Brews. I've also tried to ensure that sideboard cards are more broad rather than silver bullets.
I'm also considering removing or adding decks to more balance the control/aggro/combo because I think I've got 6 'control decks and only really two combo decks. Am considering putting in Esper Familiar, though Cloud is banned because it's a cool deck and will give me another combo deck. I also don't think Esper Familiar was the problem so much as Cloud of Faeries absurd value in a bunch of decks because Familiar is hard to play and gets weird.
I definitely overcompensated against some decks in my first iterations of the sideboards and some decks have absurd play against affinity and burn at the moment.

Let's break 100 posts!

95th for memes

Anyone else on the spiciest meme of the year Pauper Jund?

Number of times I've played burn
>4647
Number of wins
>0

Why do I play this fucking deck.

I would think it would make just as much as any other format. Just toss a $5 entry fee up and offer booster prizes. They like the game. I'm sure they would use the boosters as an opportunity to build up a collection and maybe break into bigger formats.