Guess what time of the year it is!

>Guess what time of the year it is!
>Game of Thrones season!

>Suddenly, every damn player and GM wants to run a "grim, gritty, dark, and 'MATURE' fantasy game," twisted into some juvenile bullshit about rape and "bad guys win"
>Full of "political intrigue" that no player or GM can ever get right

Why is it like this every year?

People try to replicate the political intrigue and action in GoT, but fail to realize that certain things are missing for the players. Such things include:
>The visuals
>The other 9/10ths of the story behind closed doors
>The full immersion required for in-game actions to have any impact on their emotions.

>bullshit about rape

Thank you OP, you made me want to declare Break Blade/Xenoblade X season on my players instead.

Man I hate GoT being shoved everywhere.

Remember when the bad guys were bad and the good guys were good, hot chicks fell in love with hot dudes at first sight, and the most perilous thing you had to face was a monster or a death trap instead of your scheming half brother?

Those were the days.

Always feel terrible wheN someone wants to run in the setting.

They put in all this work and reference stuff from the books and I will never bite at it because I have no desire to read/watch it.

It is like star wars games when dms start pulling novel and obscure eu crap.

Hardcore Star Wars faggot here, you should feel bad about this. The expanded universe is fucking boss.

>GoT season starts
>my group's Forever GM watches it
>GM starts talking about a campaign based on early/mid-90s JRPGs like Phantasy Star 4, Final Fantasy 4, and Chrono Trigger
I think I'm in love

>The expanded universe is non canon.

How does this make you feel?

>Those were the days.
Nah

>tfw ran a "dark and gritty eurowar" D&D game two years ago
>it was a smash hit and everyone enjoyed it
>about to restart a new game set in the same world but hundred years later

Weebs get fucked.

But the obscure EU crap is the only thing making the setting have more depth than "there's Jedi, Sith, and the Empire, and they all hate each other. Also something about lightsabers."

Such fucking contrarian nonsense. You're basically saying, "Remember Tom and Jerry guys? Back when we had simple slapstick humor, someone gets bopped on the head by an anvil, and didn't have to deal with this edgy mafia Sopranos shit where guaps get into shootouts over the dinner bill."

You are mentally equivalent to a fucking child.

>set in the same world but hundred years later
This is my fetish.

>actually watching game of thrones
>not reading it ironically
Nice tastes.

Normalfags like shitty novels and try to emulate their shitty novels, more at 11.

>Chrono Trigger campaign
I´m in love too.

ASOIAF is for people who hate fantasy anyway. Subverting 'tropes' doesn't make you clever.

>good guys were good
>posts picture of Conan-style artwork
You clearly weren't there for it youngling

>early/mid-90s JRPGs like Phantasy Star 4, Final Fantasy 4, and Chrono Trigger
The best part is the way each of these also has some ubiquitous melding of technology and magic which is so wonderfully executed. I can't get enough of it.

Sounds like warhammer fantasy battles to me.

I think I love you. Please tell me more.

Sounds like someone's never looked at WHFB beyond the cover of an army book.

For subversion in itself, no, but if that alters the narrative for the benefit of the story then it's just good writing.

listen, tom and jerry is awesome, mentality be damned.

Don't give a fuck. Canon us irrelevant for RPGs.

Sucks for you. I'm in a pretty light-hearted D&D game that's basically STALKER.

Also ALL the major players in GoT have some sort of connections or powerful name or power base.
While most GMs who want to run 'intrigue' games are loathe to give the players any of that shit.

They also tend to run "you have to convince ME" social shit. Which typically results in shit never goes the PC's way if the GM has "Something planned" (aka railroading )

Neither of these happen with ALL GMs but, they do TEND to go with the "intrigue" gm mentality

>everyone is running gritty realism
>meanwhile, underwater crab pirates at my table

Storytime?

We're still getting started, but it's gonna be mainly focused on undersea exploration and survivalism/combat. I plan to take it through all sorts of deep sea wonders, from reefs to seaweed forests to the abyss. All sorts of weird creatures, like giant lamprey hydras and thresher sharks with actual swords for tails are ready to go. The characters are all various kinds of crab people.

Crab people? Do they taste like crab?

>Eldlantic Ocean

I like the map a lot though

>Man I hate GoT being shoved everywhere.
It's not just a GoT thing, the same shit happens when new vidya and anime come out.

>Playing anything other than chasing orcs and dragonslaying

Fucking weeb hipster bullshit

>tired of "YA GOTTA SMITE ALLLLL THE EVIL, SON"
>can't criticize the aforementioned on Veeky Forums without accusations of being an edgy tryhard

>Not playing peasant simulator and trying to grow enough food so you and your friends don't starve in the coming winter

I wish someone screencapped that thread

> our gm runs his own GOT game
> he runs it around when game of thrones airs for maximum hype for said game
> isn't a hack and does pretty good political intrigue
> we ride the waves made by the shows main characters while navigating our own problems

It's been pretty cool. I think partly because he's pretty well versed in the lore and actually makes an effort helps.

Maybe you shpuld just try finding dms/players who aren't shit

"Like Europe, but where folklore is real". My goal was to make a setting that required the least amount of explanation for the players to get started.

I took every D&D trope and fit it to some real-history allegory, played it straight with realworld terms, and put all the ultra-high magic in the distant past. Focused on the different ethnicities and nations of Humans. Dwarves/Halflings/Gnomes are more like "folk" and less like races. Like a less "comicbook" Iron Kingdoms.

Having the PCs actually be from real nations that have diplomatic relationships that matter made the game less "muderhoboie" because there was context for society. Same reason GoT succeeds.

The next game will probably be like Pirate of the Caribbean and be less civilized.

>The expanded universe is fucking dead.
Fixed

That map gave me an erection.

Which D&D did you use for it?

5th edition right when it came out.
The idea came to me because as we were planning it everyone wanted to make Variant Human with the free feat. Plus the Backgrounds really help fill out the race/class combo, now it's race/class/background. A party of 4 humans, Wizard Noble, Cleric Folk Hero, Rogue Actor, Barbarian Outlander. So I knew a human-centric world would work.

>Also ALL the major players in GoT have some sort of connections or powerful name or power base.
>While most GMs who want to run 'intrigue' games are loathe to give the players any of that shit.

This is seriously a problem with "political intrigue" GMs right here.

The funny thing is you're acting like "I want to run a game based on *insert flavor of the month here*" is anything new to Veeky Forums or even the hobby.

Any new TV show, game, movie, book, whatever that comes out will always inevitably be accompanied with a million "hey do I run this" threads. Just look at all the Dark Souls 3 threads last month, and now the superheroes threads are going to start trickling in. And you know what? It's been this way from the beginning because, surprise, pop culture shaped this fucking hobby.

Can you please post a write up or notes on the lore? I'd love to read it.

I'll give you the elevator version while I find the fact sheet:

During the Elder Age, the godlike Primal Beasts roamed the land and ruled over the wild places. In the Ancient Age, prehistoric human tribes settled the lands, making war and delving into the totemic arts, rising to form a mighty Antique Empire. However in the Northern Welygwood, the Dark Lord Zuul granted the secrets of Blood Magic to a hunter, known as the evil champion The Tyrant strode forth to conquer and enslave the South ushering in the Dark Age and forming the Gothic Empire.

After generations of suffering, a hero named Yoryn rose from the Gothics, divinely blessed by Anun, who traveled and performed miracles, purging Blood Magic, and preached victory of Anun over the Zuul. Many rallied to his cause and after a prolonged holy war the Tyrant was destroyed by holy light. The Gothics lifted Yoryn I the Blessed as their Prince, ushering in he Golden Age. As Prince of Gothos, Yoryn passed sweeping benevolent legal reforms and outlawed Zuul worship.

His son Yoryn II the Enlightened was already an old man when succeeded his father. During the Enlightened age, many scientific and mystical arts were developed and Gothos because a center for learning and culture, with numerous museums, Magic Schools, and industrial guilds. However, the hardworking Gothics tended to retain their grim ways learned from the miserable Dark Age.

During the Modern Age, the copper-haired Yoryn III is the current Prince, and unlike his father has lost the divine grace but gained military ambitions. The current Gothos is a military superpower and is encroaching on it's neighboring countries, prompting border skirmishes. Society is embracing decadence and there are murmurings of an impending Civil War while cultists and revolutionaries from other countries infiltrate the Guilds.

(The PCs in my game started as conscripts in the Gothic Northern Legion on the border of Lychonia)

Where to even start...

>Arkhos [The Rook Tower]: Highlands and steep cliffs, ruled over by an Arkhonage of Clans. Steeped in dysfunctional tradition.
>Welyg: A haunted old groth wood, the ancestral home of the Halflings and Gnomes.
>Sangrield [The Royal Lion]: Enchanted Woods and prosperous fields and bogs. Ruled by a Noble King and his circle of Knights
>Aquilane [The Unicorn]: Proud and long suffering society of peasants ruled by Chevalier Nobles. Splendidly wealthy and cultured.
>Esplendia [The Vital Bull]: Serene and dry land of adventurous and passionate people.
>Ganon: Ruled by the Pirate King Gan and his seven wives. Famed for sorcery and sailing.
>Bytos: A rugged mountainous land. Despotic kings feud constantly while a plague ravages the valleys.
>Kartolia: Exotic and majestic cities between forbidding arid wastelands. Men and Genies intermingle freely.
>Abyssid: A desert populated by mystics and traders, fostering a martial culture. Forbids genies.
>Orlese: A volcanic jungle island island with many ports and plantations. Settled by the Aquiline. Imports slaves from Tun which developing a distinctive Orlesean culture and language.

Anunism
Widely practiced in Gothos but rarely acknowledged in other nations, Anunism is the worship of the Angelic God of Light Anun. The chief practice of Anunism is experiencing blissful joy and happiness, and elevating daily life above drudgery and terror.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Symbol: Golden Ring, Halo
Holy Reference: The Hymnalum
Holy Place: Shrine

Piety
Piety is the state religion of most nations and kingdoms in Eastern Penumbrope, officially centered in the Pontiffric of Illandry. The Grand Cathedral of Roan is the seat of the High Pontiff and his Cardinals, who issue formal decrees that carry Divine Authority of the God Lordran. Pious people of all walks of life are taught to venerate hundreds of Saints, and strive to emulate their example.
Alignment: Lawful Good
Symbol: Crossed Keys
Holy Reference: The Concordat
Holy Places: Church

Druidic
The informal practices of the nature cult in Western Sangrield is called Druidism by civilized scholars. Druids are attuned to natural places and animals, and practice diverse forms of magic to communicate and control natural forces.
Alignment: True Neutral
Symbol: Spiral
Holy Reference: Teluriate
Holy Places: Ley Henge

Demasslam
Demasslam the following of the Prophet Muhdan, and is divided into two factions called Bakir in Karta and Isma-il in Sahir. Collectively both factions hold the tenant that the Demiurge Demallah holds dominion over the world and the purpose of mankind is to obey and please him. However, Bakiri tradition teaches that Demallah shares a portion of his power with humans and djinn, while Isma-il forbids this idea and teaches that Demallah has omnipotent authority.
Alignment: Lawful Evil (Isma-il), Chaotic Evil (Bakir)
Symbol: Name of Demallah (Isma-il), Crescent Moon (Bakir)
Holy Reference: Prophecies of Muhdan
Holy Places: Mosque

Mithrae
The Mithraeic Cult is an order of monks located in the Monasteries of Mithrae. Practitioners typical master a form of martial arts called Balakruvka
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Holy Reference: Mantras of Mitras

Zuultari
Practitioners of dark arts and blood magic who worship the Shadow Lord Zuul. Almost universally forbidden and persecuted, Zuultari seek various Paths to Power recorded during the Reign of the Tyrant.
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Symbol: Ram Skull
Holy Reference: Tyranomicon
Holy Places: Altars

Cosmology
Prime Gods
Good: Anun
A beatific archangel who radiates bliss and light. Material is Gold.
Evil: Zuul
A menacing shadow of terror. Material is Blackwood.
Law: Trass
An imposing armored figure of authority. Material is Steel.
Chaos: Sirik
A smirking androgynous figure with starry eyes. Material is Sand.
Neutral: Norn
A hagard, stoic figure burdened by duty. Material is Stone.

Pious Trine
Lawful Good: Lord-on-High (Lordran)
A stern, guiding father figure who offers afterlife to the worthy.
Neutral: The Prodigal Son
Represents the failings and redemption of penitent men.
Chaotic Evil: The Winnower
Tempts mortals to give in to selfish urges prove their unworthyness.

Scions
Saint Yoryck - Lawful Good
Human who traveled the country performing miracles and healing.
Mathilda Wanderstep- Chaotic Good
Halfling girl who traveled the earth exploring and discovering.
Simon Khefeign - Lawful Evil
Foreign human from the West. Deceives those who are desperate.
Jean-Jacques le Rouge - Chaotic Evil
Unrepentant murderous highwayman who preys upon innocent.

There is so much more really specific backstory for all the countries and heroes from each age, to say nothing about the actual Campaign events that we played, it ended up being about every two weeks for something like 14 months. It was the longest continuous D&D game i've ran. The lesson I learned is that worldbuilding is fun but you never use like 99% of it so really just focus on the player choices to make the game fun and only use lore to answer their questions. I deliberately made everything sound allegorical and straightforward everything in this world is what you think it is. I based the details off what the players chose to make for their PCs. For example, since no one made a non-human, I put them deep in the cracks of the world and very rare.

Fucking Mass Effect shit in all my scifi games.

please tell me this is online

>Xenoblade X
Hopefully the ttg mechanics for your Skells will be better than the ones in game.

Actually, what System would you be using for Xenoblade X? And what if your player want OG Xenoblade because its much better than X

That sounds totally rad. I dig your style. Kudos to you for being so dedicated to your game.